Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build, Pool Update pics 31/5/2024

Page 2 of 6
Hi KnockItDown,
Could I ask your design will go through DA or CDC?
rogerz
Hi KnockItDown,
Could I ask your design will go through DA or CDC?

CDC
That's great, best of luck. I hope the tender comes back as expected.

Understanding what custom builders quote includes and excludes can be tricky.
Builders should provide a breakdown of each cost centre, a list of all PCs and PSs.

The "inclusions list" can then be attached to the contract. The contract as a standalone document holds little weight. It's really important to refer to the supporting documents.

Have you given the builder a form of tender to put their quote on?
I didn't tie the builder to any format as I wanted to see what they can provide based on the requirements I have provided.
Its been a while since I updated this build thread but things have been moving along.

The Tender was accepted and we have progressed through the selections phase. The constructions drawings completed and signed off and the building contract signed.

A Retaining Wall issue caused a few headaches but were thankfully overcome and resolved.

Building approval have been provided and we are off and running with Site Fencing installed and and the Peg-out completed this week.

Finger crossed for excavations in the coming week.

KnockItDown
Its been a while since I updated this build thread but things have been moving along.

The Tender was accepted and we have progressed through the selections phase. The constructions drawings completed and signed off and the building contract signed.

A Retaining Wall issue caused a few headaches but were thankfully overcome and resolved.

Building approval have been provided and we are off and running with Site Fencing installed and and the Peg-out completed this week.

So glad you got your retaining wall sorted! Great work

Have they given you a basic program for the works?
Ashington Homes
KnockItDown

So glad you got your retaining wall sorted! Great work

Have they given you a basic program for the works?

Nah not yet. The builder is going to provide the schedule next week. Its all subject to the prevailing weather conditions though. Personally, I'm just happy we are underway.
Just got the call from the Site Supervisor - We are go for site cut next week, if it doesn't rain too much between now and then. I'll post some progress pics of the job.
After an extended delay due to poor weather, we are finally underway with site scrape and delivery of fill today.

It sounds like you got a good builder knockitdown. We signed December last year with a volume builder but still in precon with no communication from them, as I believe is the case for a number of volume builders currently.

Is the builder providing the fill, is it in Sydney? What's the price these days? We will probably be needing a couple of truckloads but I'm leaving it to the builders cut and fill guys to sort out
boris594
It sounds like you got a good builder knockitdown. We signed December last year with a volume builder but still in precon with no communication from them, as I believe is the case for a number of volume builders currently.

Is the builder providing the fill, is it in Sydney? What's the price these days? We will probably be needing a couple of truckloads but I'm leaving it to the builders cut and fill guys to sort out

Yes the builder is providing the fill. We too have had a long road to get to where we are today, but happy we are now progressing.
Our builder has been good so far. A couple small hiccups during kitchen selection process, but those were sorted quickly and without too much pain. Design wise, my builder was really good. I provided some detailed (all be it hand drawn) designs and they worked with the slope and came up with a very workable and livable design. This is our 2nd and last build, so we took our time and made sure we included everything we wanted and needed.
KnockItDown
After an extended delay due to poor weather, we are finally underway with site scrape and delivery of fill today.

It's so exciting to see work finally starting!
boris594

boris

In Sydney fill is free, in fact a lot of guys would almost pay you to take theirs! What costs $'s is removing fill from your site.

Your builder just needs to make sure he gets VENM ( Virgin Excavated Natural Material) ie not rubbish.

Anyway, all the best

Simeon
boris594

boris

In Sydney fill is free, in fact a lot of guys would almost pay you to take theirs! What costs $'s is removing fill from your site.

Your builder just needs to make sure he gets VENM ( Virgin Excavated Natural Material) ie not rubbish.

Anyway, all the best

Simeon
Some pics to give you an idea of the levels. There's 2 x 800mm step-downs in the ground floor. The overall footprint is looking good. Will get a better idea of the slab size once the formwork and steel is installed.

Ashington Homes
boris594

boris

Anyway, all the best

Simeon

Fill may be free, but filling in with clay sounds a bit controversial to me.

It is still the worst possible foundation material even when properly compacted, and I doubt it is possible to compact to 95 required with a small excavator...

I hope the topic starter goes with proper rafted slab + tons piers to compensate.
alexp79
Ashington Homes
boris594

boris

Anyway, all the best

Simeon

Fill may be free, but filling in with clay sounds a bit controversial to me.

It is still the worst possible foundation material even when properly compacted, and I doubt it is possible to compact to 95 required with a small excavator...

I hope the topic starter goes with proper rafted slab + tons piers to compensate.

yep there is plenty of piers detailed in the plans due to the gradient. We took extra precautions to fully understand the geo of the site which governed the extra pier requirements for the site.
The Piers were completed yesterday 10/11/2022

Another step forward. The in-slab plumbing has been completed.

KnockItDown
Another step forward. The in-slab plumbing has been completed.

you are flying now! So exciting
Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

23/04/2024
NCC Changes Coming 1 May 2024

Building A New House

I engaged my builder in December last year and we’ve been working on preliminary drawings for last couple of months. I got a call from the salesperson this morning…

29/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

For our new build in NSW we opted for a heat pump with a 315L storage tank. Early days yet as we only moved in 6 weeks ago. Haven't run out out of hot water though. Ours…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum