Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Please review our first custom floorplan

Page 2 of 2
my suggestions include lining up the offsett in the front entry, more comfortable guest bathroom and storage, separate powder room, retreat arranged so that it can be easily converted to an extra bedroom, a separate mudroom with more storage, private entry for the master bedroom and ideas for the master ensuite but you need to show how you would use all the furniture needed to ensure the best size and shape for all the rooms as i think think that the overall size of the house could be could be reduced without spoiling your design but please advise the length and width of your block and describe the local climate
oklouise
my suggestions include lining up the offsett in the front entry, more comfortable guest bathroom and storage, separate powder room, retreat arranged so that it can be easily converted to an extra bedroom, a separate mudroom with more storage, private entry for the master bedroom and ideas for the master ensuite but you need to show how you would use all the furniture needed to ensure the best size and shape for all the rooms as i think think that the overall size of the house could be could be reduced without spoiling your design but please advise the length and width of your block and describe the local climate

Hi oklouise and thanks for the detailed suggestions.
Just curious do you do this for a living?

Our block is 18x47m (1 metre setbacks on sides and 5 metres from front to garage). So plenty of length to play with.
A lot of what you've done looks good. I like how you've managed to incorporate a mudroom too.
Although I understand that many people like having the toilet in it's own room, is it really necessary? I like the way you've managed to fit it however I also like the idea of having big open plan bathrooms.
What are your plans for light and ventilation in the middle bathroom? It's tucked in the centre of the house with no window.

It might not be a worry for you but it's the first thing I notice (probably because I live in North QLD and we have serious mould issues if rooms aren't properly ventilated).
All bathrooms will have exhaust fans which are ducted externally.
I may also put in a skylight.

Also, to answer the above regarding climate I am in Victoria.
I have tried to make the most of the northern aspect of the house for plenty of light in the living and entertaining areas.
JS87
oklouise

Our block is 18x47m (1 metre setbacks on sides and 5 metres from front to garage). So plenty of length to play with.
A lot of what you've done looks good. I like how you've managed to incorporate a mudroom too.
Although I understand that many people like having the toilet in it's own room, is it really necessary? I like the way you've managed to fit it however I also like the idea of having big open plan bathrooms.

luckily i don't need to do this for a living and leave the final plans to the professionals who have more up to date CAD programs and local knowledge but i hope my suggestions help clarify your ideas before you finalise your plans but, to answer your question about the separate toilet: the compartmented bathroom is ideal for sharing for children from babies to adults, visitors prefer a private toilet and there's easily enough space to be able to have a separate toilet without sacrificing anything else but it seems to me that some rooms are bigger than necessary for comfort and every extra sqm costs so much more and reduces money available for better quality finishes, joinery, fixtures, landscaping, floor covering, curtains, furnishing etc etc...do you have a budget or maximum square metre size that you're aiming for (nb i think your original plan is almost 400 sqm and my suggested variation about 371 sqm bit the house could be smaller without spoiling the design) in order to make the best suggestions we need to understand how the house wil be used eg how many and what are the ages of the people who will live in the house or use the guest room, how you will use the extra space in the garage, is there a view in any direction, where will you have a clothesline, do you want a drive through from the garage to the backyard, do you have any special plans for the north or eastern gardens (pool?) and would you consider swopping the ens and wiw with the master bed and ens opening to a private courtyard on the eastern side instead of to the alfresco??
oklouise
JS87
oklouise

luckily i don't need to do this for a living and leave the final plans to the professionals who have more up to date CAD programs and local knowledge but i hope my suggestions help clarify your ideas before you finalise your plans but, to answer your question about the separate toilet: the compartmented bathroom is ideal for sharing for children from babies to adults, visitors prefer a private toilet and there's easily enough space to be able to have a separate toilet without sacrificing anything else but it seems to me that some rooms are bigger than necessary for comfort and every extra sqm costs so much more and reduces money available for better quality finishes, joinery, fixtures, landscaping, floor covering, curtains, furnishing etc etc...do you have a budget or maximum square metre size that you're aiming for (nb i think your original plan is almost 400 sqm and my suggested variation about 371 sqm bit the house could be smaller without spoiling the design) in order to make the best suggestions we need to understand how the house wil be used eg how many and what are the ages of the people who will live in the house or use the guest room, how you will use the extra space in the garage, is there a view in any direction, where will you have a clothesline, do you want a drive through from the garage to the backyard, do you have any special plans for the north or eastern gardens (pool?) and would you consider swopping the ens and wiw with the master bed and ens opening to a private courtyard on the eastern side instead of to the alfresco??

There's two particular areas where we have gone bigger than standard.
1. Garage:
This will be used as part workshop, part gym, part garage, so big as possible is the brief.
2. Kids bedrooms:
We don't have kids yet, however they aren't far off and this house is being built for long term family in mind. As a kid I always hated having a cramped bedroom, so I've tried to go a little bigger here where possible, and also give the kids an entire 'area' of the house.

Considering we will he starting a family soon, the guest room will be regularly used by parents who stay and help, we're a bit of a drive out of Melbourne so we figured a guest room would be ideal.

We may go with a pool or spa in the future but not at this stage.

Haven't thought about switching up the master bedroom but open to all ideas
Hi,

I like your plan; three things that I would change (personal preference).

- Main bedroom - not sure i like the door/vision straight into the master from the living
- Alfresco - Is the only direct entry from the master bedroom? is this where you will have your BBQ etc?
- Retreat/ kids area - You've got the living area, the kids retreat and a theatre. Im personally not a huge fan of theatre rooms, but i do see the benefit of having two seperate living spaces - i think three is a bit much/question how often they will get used, let alone all three at the same time. I would consider removing the kids retreat, making the bedrooms larger (likely where the iphone generaiton will spend most of their time anyway) and make the theatre into a multi purpose room. Or alternatively, remove the theatre and make the kids rooms and retreat larger.

best of luck!

Josh
Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum