Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stormwater discharge: easement or drainage system?

Page 2 of 2
ToWuAHome
Hi all,

Just thought I’d jump on here as we are also doing KDR in GRC, have a low level property and are going through CDC. GRC do have final say on the stormwater design unfortunately. Which sucks because the whole point of CDC is efficiency but it’s not when you still need council engineer approval. (Side note: it’s taken us 6 months to do cdc waiting for stormwater approval. Anyone else experiencing ridiculous delays??)

We don’t have to get an easement but we did need a refusal letter signed by our rear neighbours. We’re proposing a charged system and it meets council’s requirement of draining by gravity from boundary to kerb. Not an engineer so apologies if I’m butchering the explanation haha. We’ve been told there were some amendments required from council this week but sounds like not major enough to tell us what (so I’m assuming charged line is a go). Hoping to FINALLY get approval next week.

Just our personal experience, but hope you can find an alternative solution other than easement.

Is your Garage RL higher than the boundary RL? This would be the most critical thing re charged systems in our area, and for most low level properties, they cannot achieve fall from the garage to the street kerb, meaning a pump out, or absorption is required - which GRC usually always refuses. So, I think your case may be simpler than you think.

Also your explanation was quite good :p
moudzj
ToWuAHome
Hi all,

Just thought I’d jump on here as we are also doing KDR in GRC, have a low level property and are going through CDC. GRC do have final say on the stormwater design unfortunately. Which sucks because the whole point of CDC is efficiency but it’s not when you still need council engineer approval. (Side note: it’s taken us 6 months to do cdc waiting for stormwater approval. Anyone else experiencing ridiculous delays??)

We don’t have to get an easement but we did need a refusal letter signed by our rear neighbours. We’re proposing a charged system and it meets council’s requirement of draining by gravity from boundary to kerb. Not an engineer so apologies if I’m butchering the explanation haha. We’ve been told there were some amendments required from council this week but sounds like not major enough to tell us what (so I’m assuming charged line is a go). Hoping to FINALLY get approval next week.

Just our personal experience, but hope you can find an alternative solution other than easement.

Is your Garage RL higher than the boundary RL? This would be the most critical thing re charged systems in our area, and for most low level properties, they cannot achieve fall from the garage to the street kerb, meaning a pump out, or absorption is required - which GRC usually always refuses. So, I think your case may be simpler than you think.

Aw thanks!

Nope our garage RL is lower than our boundary RL...
ToWuAHome
moudzj
ToWuAHome
Hi all,

Aw thanks!

Nope our garage RL is lower than our boundary RL...

So, where is the water going from the proposed garage drainage grate?
There’ll be an absorption trench.
ToWuAHome

Which area are you in?
moudzj
ToWuAHome

Which area are you in?

Hurstville ward of GRC
ToWuAHome
moudzj
ToWuAHome

Which area are you in?

Hurstville ward of GRC

We are building in Peakhurst with BBH and I think we had the same CDC issues you did. Our CDC took a long time (with no communication as to why) But from reading some email threads it seemed the issue was our stormwater plan not satisfying GRC.
We finally got it all approved back in December 2020 and are currently 3 months into our build.
We have an 8m long absorption trench in the middle of the back yard. Our garage RL is way below the kerb RL and the house slopes a lot from front to back.
lazyychef

We are building in Peakhurst with BBH and I think we had the same CDC issues you did. Our CDC took a long time (with no communication as to why) But from reading some email threads it seemed the issue was our stormwater plan not satisfying GRC.
We finally got it all approved back in December 2020 and are currently 3 months into our build.
We have an 8m long absorption trench in the middle of the back yard. Our garage RL is way below the kerb RL and the house slopes a lot from front to back.

Oh I think I’ve seen the insta account for your build. We’ve been searching for similar builds in our area to give us any indication of what to expect haha. May I ask- How long did your cdc end up taking? Ours is 7 months and two rounds of changes to stormwater designs already. Every round of comms takes 10 business days for council to respond 😭
ToWuAHome
lazyychef

Oh I think I’ve seen the insta account for your build. We’ve been searching for similar builds in our area to give us any indication of what to expect haha. May I ask- How long did your cdc end up taking? Ours is 7 months and two rounds of changes to stormwater designs already. Every round of comms takes 10 business days for council to respond 😭

Ouch, that sucks!
Are you building with BBH too? Which design have you gone with? Do you have an instagram account?

We lodged on 21/08/2020 and received approval on 04/12/2020. So just under 4 months. I don't think we had as much drama with the storm water design though.
That's is great result!

We have been in contact with council for more than 4 months now and no positive feedback. One of our neighbours on the same side of the street took 3 years and their DA is still not approved.

May I know what BBH stand for, which builder? 😅

lazyychef
ToWuAHome
lazyychef

Ouch, that sucks!
Are you building with BBH too? Which design have you gone with? Do you have an instagram account?

We lodged on 21/08/2020 and received approval on 04/12/2020. So just under 4 months. I don't think we had as much drama with the storm water design though.
Monica Z
That's is great result!

We have been in contact with council for more than 4 months now and no positive feedback. One of our neighbours on the same side of the street took 3 years and their DA is still not approved.

BetterBuilt Homes
Thank you very much for that!

Can I also ask, did GRC ask you to negotiate with neighbour for an easement as well?

lazyychef
Monica Z
That's is great result!

BetterBuilt Homes
Monica Z

Can I also ask, did GRC ask you to negotiate with neighbour for an easement as well?

Yep - we had to ask our side neighbour and rear neighbour for easement access, both of which declined so we had to go down the absorption trench path.
Same here. Do you mind giving me your hydraulic engineer's contact?

Much appreciated

lazyychef
Monica Z

Yep - we had to ask our side neighbour and rear neighbour for easement access, both of which declined so we had to go down the absorption trench path.
lazyychef
ToWuAHome
lazyychef

Ouch, that sucks!

Yep with BBH as well. We’re doing the Jamieson mk2. Still trying to convince the hubby about sharing our build with the insta world haha.

Argh 4 months would’ve been great at this point! We didn’t expect cdc to take anywhere near this long.
Monica Z
Same here. Do you mind giving me your hydraulic engineer's contact?

Much appreciated

lazyychef
Monica Z

Hey Monica
Have you made any progress with this? I might have a similar issue and hoping I don't need to have an easement through my rear neighbours yard.
SejaeD
robw17
Simeon has given you some great advice there. Just also be aware of Section 2.3, I noticed that council have slipped in a new requirement for CDC projects to lodge plans and obtain council approval for half a dozen stormwater connection scenarios, one of which may include you (it certainly would have included us, under bullet point #1). Personally I think it's an over reach by council... my understanding of CDC is that it was implemented by the state government to give an alternative to the cumbersome, expensive and lengthy council DA process. Section 2.3 appears to be GRC reinserting themselves into the approval process for certain CDC projects.

Rob

You get today's prize for the deep dive you did! that clause 2.3 is very interesting. I have never seen that imposed before, I just went and re read the act and I am wondering if they have found a loophole in clause 1.2 ( of the SEPP) as stormwater is discharging onto their asset.

I wonder how this would go if tested in court as it seems contradictory to the purpose of the SEPP. Anyway, next step is to grab the minutes from the meeting last year and see how they justified it and then I am going to ask my planning lawyer for an opinion and report back.

Not being a lawyer I am intrigued

Well done Rob

Simeon

Curious as to where your conversation with the planning lawyer got to around section 2.3 of the stormwater policy. Would love to hear your thoughts.
lazyychef
Monica Z

Hi Monica,
We are having same issues at the moment - going back and forth between neighbour negotiations to try and get an easement for our build - without success. We are at a crossroads and working out what to do next with the push to have to go to court which we really dont want to do...so i was wondering if you could share your DA number so we can see if there are any similarities to our works that may assist in our reasoning with council to allow for an alternate solution to the easement?
Related
19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum