Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone building with Homebuyers Centre in VICTORIA?

Page 100 of 250
Pooks where is your sparky friend from?
Should we outsource all of the electricals...or just get them to do the basic and get someone else in to put in downlights and outdoor lighting....
Hey guys! My sparky friend works for a company in Seaford...not sure of the name. I can't outsource Ryan for the jobs though because he can't sign off on solo work. He has his license but can't certify. He is just repaying a favour to us and helps mates out with odd jobs! Sorry.
I recommend getting HBC to do the basics- a power point in each room/data points etc but if you want to keep costs down- out source the rest: the luxury items or extras. HBC charge approx $55 for a power point and they retail in Bunnings for $6 so you can see the difference. Getting a qualified self employed sparky will save you $ even if you don't know them.
Hi guys, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas/New Year!

Just like to ask if anyone has had evap cooling installed after handover? Thanks!
_chylatte_

Just like to ask if anyone has had evap cooling installed after handover? Thanks!

I don't think it would be a good idea with the moisture in the area it produces with the laminate flooring.
Box 27
_chylatte_

I don't think it would be a good idea with the moisture in the area it produces with the laminate flooring.

Bummer! We really can't afford refrigerated cooling, both the install and running costs.

Was looking at Brivis Iceberg but we'll see.

On a side note, I really hate these laminate floors! Anyone found a good mop yet? Lol
We haven't really had an issue with the flooring. Vacuuming and then using a microfibre mop. Seems to do the job. Yeah they do get dirty but we have tried to keep on top of it as much as possible, it's hard to keep clean at the moment as we have had such windy days and all this dirt around the house.
We have the Blackbutt laminate flooring.
Thanks Box! I just find that we need to mop everyday to keep ours clean. I can see the dirt on certain angles and it annoys me. Ours is Spotted Gum, if that makes a difference.
Think the colour makes a difference as the dirt would show up differently on different colours.
I have coffee oak flooring and everything shows up! Box27- can I ask exactly what mop you are using incase its one I haven't tried? Also what solution? If it's the HBC one- the mop didn't work for us but the solution was good.
Our neighbours have their Evap Cooling running non stop! They have tile floors and they say the tiles get a bit slippery so I would agree with the moisture factor when it comes to these floors! If it's any help- we did our refrigerative aircon on a Gem Visa finance card through Brivas direct. Monthly repayments are low too. At least I know it will cope on hot days. They gave us a free Samsung Galaxy tablet too as part of a promo!
It seems like your depends on the floors your have?
We're renting and have wood floors. Have evaporative cooling and no issues what so ever. It's been amazing and plan on having evaporative when we build. We will have wood floors. Never humid,no condensation on floor.
Freezing right now with it on...lol
Thanks pooks! I was considering putting iton the Visa but we already have our fridge, dishwasher and speakers on there! Yikes

Mrssilverbeetle - have you gotten quotes for evap yet?
Mrssilverbeetle
It seems like your depends on the floors your have?
We're renting and have wood floors. Have evaporative cooling and no issues what so ever. It's been amazing and plan on having evaporative when we build. We will have wood floors. Never humid,no condensation on floor.
Freezing right now with it on...lol

Are you sure you have evaporative cooling? And not split system air con?
Because evaporative are not very good with days over 30 and you need to leave a window open or you do get condensation.
Wood floors would be fine but HBC have laminate flooring- like rubber boards, not wood at all, unless you are getting this as an upgrade?...pretty common that they don't last long term with evaporative aircon unfortunately.
_chylatte_: not that I am encouraging debt (haha) but we had similar things to you on another Visa too and got this second one specifically for the aircon. Taking out a mortgage puts you in a good position with your credit rating so depending on your affordability it may still be an option! If you check the Brivis website there may still be the info on there. It was a really fast process
We absolutely have evaporative cooling. No unit on the inside. It's up top on our roof and we know what an evaporative cooling unit looks like...........

We do have windows open. must have a really good unit, runs throughout the whole house. Shut our doors. Has worked really well for us. We're in Melbourne.
No quotes yet chylatte. Where are you. I can possibly ask a couple of people who have friends who instal units.

We are outsourcing our floors. Having another company do them and the carpets Pooks.

Mrssilverbeetle
No quotes yet chylatte. Where are you. I can possibly ask a couple of people who have friends who instal units.

In Officer 3809. Built the indigo 22. Thank you in advance!

I didn't know we could outsource flooring. Should've looked into that!
pooks83
Wood floors would be fine but HBC have laminate flooring- like rubber boards, not wood at all, unless you are getting this as an upgrade?...pretty common that they don't last long term with evaporative aircon unfortunately.
_chylatte_: not that I am encouraging debt (haha) but we had similar things to you on another Visa too and got this second one specifically for the aircon. Taking out a mortgage puts you in a good position with your credit rating so depending on your affordability it may still be an option! If you check the Brivis website there may still be the info on there. It was a really fast process

Haha. Looking at the add-on cooling option as well coz if it's not that much more to install than evap, then we'll probably consider it.

But as of now, this house thing has got us really broke like we've never been. Is this normal? Lol
Yeah we will be outsourcing our alfresco area as well. Landscaping we may just it ourselves. I think my husband asked if we could outsource and they said yes. They just deleted the carpets and other floors. Was about $3000 off.
We will use their blinds however will get some block out curtains outsourced from spotlight I think. Want them for the theatre and bed room.

Our guy to us to think about outsourcing for evaporative cooling as well. I know he said split system they could do. Maybe as we are going to be in Yarra Glen it's too far for them....no clue.
I know we run evaporative cooling heaps through the summer and our electricity bill is pretty low.
I should find out what unit it is as it really is good.

Mrssilverbeetle
We are outsourcing our floors. Having another company do them and the carpets Pooks.

That's awesome!! I would have loved to do that!
Related
2/08/2023
victorian homebuyers fund

General Discussion

I havent, and i havent looked to much into it, but on face value its not the saviour its trying to make out to be. Shared equity in your home is never a good idea. The…

15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum