Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone building with Homebuyers Centre in VICTORIA?

Page 97 of 250
Back when we did it, we were one of the last to pick your own colours instead of having a scheme. Our roof is charcoal, we upgraded our bricks to Truffle, our aluminium windows / door / garage are Dune. We got a higher ceiling height, put in an exhaust fan in the laundry, mirrored wardrobe in master, Ceasarstone in kitchen (oh! Just in case you don't know - overhead cupboards are not included in their price), we got extra windows / turned one window into a sliding door (these were much cheaper than we thought and are worth asking for).

We were originally charged over $4k for upgrades necessary for being in a Bushfire Area - but the zones changed and we were credited that money.

One thing I can tell you about flooring, if you have the money don't go with laminate flooring. We went with it thinking "how bad can it be?". Looks great, until you have to wash it. What nobody tells you is that you can't get this floor wet - so not ideal to sit a kitchen island bench on. Instead, they give you a spray bottle and a microfibre mop to get you started. I don't think this is acceptable. If you don't have the money to upgrade, then in my opinion it isn't worth paying more to have more colours available. We went with Coffee Oak, which was in the basics, and that colour is very nice. Save your money for an eventual floor redo if you can't upgrade right away. Oh! One more thing about floors - be careful where you expect carpet and laminate to be. They had carpet in my Home Theatre Room when I was under the impression everything but the bedrooms were carpet. I paid extra to get rid of that.

You'll find your way ...

And yes, very excited to have Christmas in the New Place. I want to start some traditions, just not sure what.
Thanks for your help! This is soooo helpful. It was from reading earlier posts I said to my husband we have to save up and get floating floors. Really appreciate this group!
I'd love if you can pm me about costs for things like grass and fencing.
I believe I read mailbox and clothes line is included?

My husband will most likely do landscaping himself. Could be unique!!

We want a beachy theme for our house so I believe we will go with the cumulus...or maybe it was something else.

For some reason we have to go with someone else to build our alfresco area. Something to do with regulations. I don't remember there was soooooo much talking. We will probably find someone local in Yarra Glen. In about 10 months I'll go from a suburban / city girl to a country bumpkin.

So nice to be able to start your own traditions!
Did anyone use Hbc to install their hardwood floors? If not who did you use or who do you recommend?
Thank you
Welcome Miss Silver Beetle,
Very exciting times to come! HBC have been pretty good, except a few issues. But they were from the Sales Person. The build has been really easy.
Haha saying that got a call last week saying that our carpet is out of stock so had to go in and pick a new carpet or wait until Feb next year... Safe to say we chose a new carpet colour.
So the house should be done on Friday!

The driveway is being laid tomorrow and everything else should be cleaned up by Friday.
So the push to be in by Xmas is well and truly heating up! Site Supervisor is hoping to do our presentation on Monday, so we can get the bank to come out and check off everything.

What was everyone's turn around time with the banks once they sent off the final invoice?
Mrssilverbeetle
I'd love if you can pm me about costs for things like grass and fencing.
I believe I read mailbox and clothes line is included?

We got a landscaping package (for about $3000) - which covered the front landscaping, grass, plants, mulch / pebbles, watering timer system, mailbox. We didn't get a clothes line, though I've seen people mention it. I know pooks83 got hers at Bunnings (pretty sure anyway). It was a promotion, but I still think I would have preferred the kitchen promotion. I think our big mistake was that I knew what I wanted and didn't play hard to get.

Check out the design guidelines for your estate (if you're in an estate). Most of the time, that will stipulate what fence you need. In our case, it was an 1800mm high Colorbond in Teatree. I found this to run at around $65-$70 / metre. We also got a plinth underneath the fence, to make it as low as possible to the ground and I think that was another $10/m.

As far as grass was concerned... Our situation is a little unusual. We passed by the day after our front landscaping was done and saw that the landscapers had thrown out all the "scraps" and cut offs from the rolls of grass they used in the front. So we salvaged them right away and got them in the back off the Alfresco so that our dogs had somewhere to pee while we figured the rest out. After figuring out how little we needed, we figured we'd get a delivery of lawn soil (and gypsum to break up the clay), spread that and then put down grass seed. In theory a good idea. It's come up very patchy and we still have temp fencing around the area, 2 months later. Probably not so bad if I didn't have dogs who are hurting to use the yard.
Box 27

What was everyone's turn around time with the banks once they sent off the final invoice?

I know I keep telling you this, but you are so bloody close. I seem to remember 3 days? You'll be in by Xmas.
Our yard in the front is incredibly small however big on either side. Our lot is a rectangular shape. Will the do the grass for our side lawns? Was May just get one side done or both of we can afford it,
We definitely want fences up as soon q we can as we have to dogs who can't go outside with no fence or they'll take off to explore!!
Our estate is bizarre.....no restrictions!!! How crazy is that?!
Mrssilverbeetle
We definitely want fences up as soon as we can as we have to dogs who can't go outside with no fence or they'll take off to explore!!
!

Contact your council and let them know that you need your neighbours' names to be able to send them fencing quotes, so it's organised stat! They will give you the contact details. You then send your neighbours quotes and give them 30 days to reply. Big pain in the butt.
So close....

Has anyone had issues with splash back colours?

We selected the colour 'Purple Empire' for our splash back and took photos of our selections at the time. What has been installed is not the same colour, it is darker and changes our kitchen completely.

HBC and their suppliers are adamant that the splash back installed is 'Purple Empire' and even sent me a photo of the sample in the HBC showroom. The photo they have sent me is the same as what was installed, however it is not the same as the photo we took we took at the selections appointment. We took a photo of the front and back, the label on the back says the sample we saw was 'Purple Empire' so we really are in a position not knowing what to do.

Below is the comparison, left is what they have said is in the showroom, right is what we saw.

Does anyone else have the 'Purple Empire' splash back??
Hi GG, thanks for the tip. Once we know when we are building we will get that info as its really important to get the fence up ASAP.
Have a great day
So had our home presentation last night, a few things needed to be done, and some paint touch ups. Haha we had satin handles for all but two handles where 2 were chrome. Not sure how that happens. Oh well.
So it's all down to the bank now! The CBA said it takes 5-7 business days to process paperwork then they need to send out someone to check on the house and then 2 days for funds to be released! So going to be tight to get the keys by the 19th!!! Fingers crossed
Yay! Just got told that we can pick up our keys when ever we want!
There is still a few paint touch ups to do, so we are picking up the keys next Thursday

Can't wait! I have already booked in getting our new couch and fridge to be delivered on the Friday
Congratulations!!
Box 27
Yay! Just got told that we can pick up our keys when ever we want!
There is still a few paint touch ups to do, so we are picking up the keys next Thursday

Can't wait! I have already booked in getting our new couch and fridge to be delivered on the Friday

WOOHOO!!! I knew you'd be in by Xmas! Bless your cotton socks, you're about to go broke! LOL
So funny GG. The good thing about being broke being a home owner is at least with building we are getting what we want
our colour and finance appointment is January 13th...woooohooo

January 13th is a good luck day! Enjoy it!

And yes - it's what we want. I notice when I go into Bunnings for things, I tend to make long-term (read: more expensive) decisions to get the job done right.
Congrats Box27! Wonderful news.
Congrats Box27! Enjoy
Ashman25
So close....

Has anyone had issues with splash back colours?

We selected the colour 'Purple Empire' for our splash back and took photos of our selections at the time. What has been installed is not the same colour, it is darker and changes our kitchen completely.

HBC and their suppliers are adamant that the splash back installed is 'Purple Empire' and even sent me a photo of the sample in the HBC showroom. The photo they have sent me is the same as what was installed, however it is not the same as the photo we took we took at the selections appointment. We took a photo of the front and back, the label on the back says the sample we saw was 'Purple Empire' so we really are in a position not knowing what to do.

Below is the comparison, left is what they have said is in the showroom, right is what we saw.

Does anyone else have the 'Purple Empire' splash back??

Hi Ashman25,

We are truly sorry to hear of the disappointment with the issue regarding your splash back has caused. We understand that moving into your new home is an exciting time and as a company we strive to have things perfect when that time comes along. For us, listening to our customers and learning how we can improve their experience is a top priority. If you would like to get in contact with our customer service team on 131 751 we can address your concerns immediately.

Best wishes,
The Homebuyers Centre team
So HBC are on the homeone threads now? I hope we give you a good 97 page read- you might find some very useful info

Mrssilverbeetle- in regards to your questions about the floors- I recommend outsourcing if this is an option for you. I have been in my house for 7 months and I still have dramas with the laminate flooring. It is not practical at all. Our windows were slightly leaking on the inside while we were at work, from the seals. We called the builder about 1 month in after moving and he came and siliconed a frame. Our floors warped under the window and couch from that day we were at work and the rain trickled down on the inside. It was laughable that they just silliconed it...so we rang the window company as there is a warranty. They guy came out, was awesome and resealed all of our windows. So- check your windows. We will be ripping up the floor in years to come. I'm not a fan at all....to not be able to properly disinfect the floors is driving me nuts. None of the floor cleaner sprays for laminate have an antibacterial agent in them so its metho all the way here (in a spray bottle).
Related
2/08/2023
victorian homebuyers fund

General Discussion

I havent, and i havent looked to much into it, but on face value its not the saviour its trying to make out to be. Shared equity in your home is never a good idea. The…

15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum