Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with Clarendon??

Page 918 of 929
SnowLeopard
JK27
Ssssoooo, we received an email from our SS last Thursday, update on progress, book in second PCI and potential Handover for next Thursday.

Stated that he had spent the whole day on site with his maintenance man, and ALL brickwork and mortar issues had been rectified (amongst other things!).

Now I don't like calling people incompetent or liars, but when we stopped by on Thursday night to have a quick squiz - so many of the chipped and broken bricks we asked to have replaced, are still there!!!

Secondly, they have used GREY Cement to fill holes in our Off-White Mortar, see attached pics - but it's like this all of the brickwork.

Now for the life of us, either the SS is lieing about being on-site ALL day or he is that incompetent that he allowed the maintenance guy to use Grey Cement. We just can't figure it out!!

Can't believe they actually did that to "fix" the mortar. I'm fuming right now. How long can you delay the hand over for if you're not happy with the house?

We didn't delay Handover, Clarendon did!! they got Area Manager down to meet with my husband, and didn't want to give it to us until it was right!! Hubby saw the original brickie on-site today, because apparently they didn't get him back in to fix the mortar initially, and although it's abit of he said he said, the original brickie confirmed it was CEMENT that was used and not white sand mortar. Was repaired today, so we're hoping with drying it will settle to the right colour....otherwise they are going to absolutely hate us over the next 3months!!
SejaeD
vincent2166
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to check if insulation has been installed in the walls or do we have to take Clarendons word for it? We paid to get extra insulation put in in our bedroom walls and want to make sure we're getting what we paid for. Thanks

Vincent2166

Unfortunately there is no way to know unless:

1. The SS has photos during construction
2. You are able to get a copy of the certification from the company who installed it ( they provide a certificate for the certifier to prove BASIX has been met)
3. You pull gyprock off

I would be pursuing item 2. You can call the certifier direct as he technically works for you not Clarendon

Cheers

you could also drop one of the lights or pop out a powerpoint and send a camera in, if you have one of those ones that is on the end of the wire-thingy (sorry don't know the technical term!!).

we plan to do the same thing with one of our rooms we don't believe they've used Acoustic insulation in that we upgraded too!

Hope it works out ok for you.
Good luck JK!

JK27
SnowLeopard
JK27
Ssssoooo, we received an email from our SS last Thursday, update on progress, book in second PCI and potential Handover for next Thursday.

Stated that he had spent the whole day on site with his maintenance man, and ALL brickwork and mortar issues had been rectified (amongst other things!).

Now I don't like calling people incompetent or liars, but when we stopped by on Thursday night to have a quick squiz - so many of the chipped and broken bricks we asked to have replaced, are still there!!!

Secondly, they have used GREY Cement to fill holes in our Off-White Mortar, see attached pics - but it's like this all of the brickwork.

Now for the life of us, either the SS is lieing about being on-site ALL day or he is that incompetent that he allowed the maintenance guy to use Grey Cement. We just can't figure it out!!

Can't believe they actually did that to "fix" the mortar. I'm fuming right now. How long can you delay the hand over for if you're not happy with the house?

We didn't delay Handover, Clarendon did!! they got Area Manager down to meet with my husband, and didn't want to give it to us until it was right!! Hubby saw the original brickie on-site today, because apparently they didn't get him back in to fix the mortar initially, and although it's abit of he said he said, the original brickie confirmed it was CEMENT that was used and not white sand mortar. Was repaired today, so we're hoping with drying it will settle to the right colour....otherwise they are going to absolutely hate us over the next 3months!!

Haven’t heard from you JK. Must be busy being too excited with handover?
hope all goes well.

JK27
SejaeD
vincent2166
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to check if insulation has been installed in the walls or do we have to take Clarendons word for it? We paid to get extra insulation put in in our bedroom walls and want to make sure we're getting what we paid for. Thanks

Vincent2166

2. You are able to get a copy of the certification from the company who installed it ( they provide a certificate for the certifier to prove BASIX has been met)
3. You pull gyprock off

I would be pursuing item 2. You can call the certifier direct as he technically works for you not Clarendon

Cheers

you could also drop one of the lights or pop out a powerpoint and send a camera in, if you have one of those ones that is on the end of the wire-thingy (sorry don't know the technical term!!).

we plan to do the same thing with one of our rooms we don't believe they've used Acoustic insulation in that we upgraded too!

Hey JK. Would you be able to tell the difference between regular insulation and acoustic? Or are you just checking if they're there?
mountain_view
elisen
mountain_view
Hi

Have been watching for a while and getting exciting about building my first house.

I have come into an issue today though were ANZ will not accept the Progress Payment Schedule that Clarendon have. As I imaging Clarendon have said tuff this is it and we are not budging.

Has anyone else had this particular issue with their bank and did you manage to get around it?

That's really weird.... We're with ANZ, and they didn't have any issues with it... Are you dealing direct with the bank, or with a broker? Our loan was set up by a broker, so I'm not sure if that's why we didn't hear of any issues? We deal with them directly with the progress payments, and they always pay pretty quickly...

Will they tell you what their issue is with the progress payments?

Also using a broker but they are family so I am probably getting a little more information along the way. They have worried that the payment schedule is front heavy (50% paid) before lockup and want it changed. Clarendon have advised it is their standard and I am wondering if others have the same schedule?

1) Deposit payable on signing of agreement (less initial 5% deposit paid to date) or prior to commencement of construction - 5%
2) Due on Completion of concrete Slab - 20%
3) Due on erection of Frame and roof trusses (no roof tiles laid) - 25%
4) Due on completion of Brickwork (no roof tiles laid) - 20%
5) Due on commencement of Internal Linings (Progress payment is due even though tiles may not be bedded and pointed) - 20%
6) Practical Completion (When the building works are complete except for minor ommissions and defect that do not prevent the building works from being reasonably capable of being used for their usual purpose) - 10%

Same situation here, our broker is asking if the builder can adjust the Progress Payment Schedule.

As per this schedule, we'll pay them 60% of the cost with no roof tiles on. What I find tricky is the next payment is due on COMMENCEMENT of stage 5 not completion. So after brickwork (with no roof tiles) and start of Internal Linings we will pay them 90% of the cost.

3. You pull gyprock off

Cheers[/quote]

Hope it works out ok for you.[/quote]

Hey JK. Would you be able to tell the difference between regular insulation and acoustic? Or are you just checking if they're there?[/quote]

Should be able to tell the difference. Our acoustic insulation is black compared to the usual pale yellow heat insulation.

Has anyone in Sydney had a site supervisor that does not contact them at all? We have had our slab laid this week and still no contact with the site supervisor. We only have his first name and have been told by our customer service consultant several times that he will contact us (which he doesn't).

Is this normal?

We have built previously (different builder) and did not have this issue.
Hi everyone,
so on Tuesday Clarendon finally came to site!
they started to encase the sewer! and now they haven't been back,

i have my SS phone number but apparently at the moment its not his site till the slab is poured,

has anyone else had there sewer encased before? and know how long this would take?
BrisBuild

3. You pull gyprock off

Cheers

Hope it works out ok for you.[/quote]

Hey JK. Would you be able to tell the difference between regular insulation and acoustic? Or are you just checking if they're there?[/quote]

Should be able to tell the difference. Our acoustic insulation is black compared to the usual pale yellow heat insulation.

[/quote]

We just went to our site and our heat and acoustic insulation were both pink. Maybe it's a different brand? I hope so....
vincent2166
BrisBuild

3. You pull gyprock off

Cheers

[/quote]

We just went to our site and our heat and acoustic insulation were both pink. Maybe it's a different brand? I hope so....[/quote]

We recently got our contract. They're putting Soundbreak Acoustic Glasswool insulation: https://insulation.com.au/product/pink-soundbreak/

I asked them what company you guys use and they said Fletcher which is Pink Batts so that seems to be fine.

Did you check if they installed the right rating/thickness of the Batts?
SnowLeopard
vincent2166
BrisBuild

3. You pull gyprock off

Cheers

Hey JK. Would you be able to tell the difference between regular insulation and acoustic? Or are you just checking if they're there?

[/quote]

We just went to our site and our heat and acoustic insulation were both pink. Maybe it's a different brand? I hope so....[/quote]

We recently got our contract. They're putting Soundbreak Acoustic Glasswool insulation: https://insulation.com.au/product/pink-soundbreak/

I asked them what company you guys use and they said Fletcher which is Pink Batts so that seems to be fine.

Did you check if they installed the right rating/thickness of the Batts?[/quote]

I don't know if there is a way to check. The walls are already up and I just peeked through the power cutouts to see it
SnowLeopard
mountain_view
elisen
That's really weird.... We're with ANZ, and they didn't have any issues with it... Are you dealing direct with the bank, or with a broker? Our loan was set up by a broker, so I'm not sure if that's why we didn't hear of any issues? We deal with them directly with the progress payments, and they always pay pretty quickly...

Will they tell you what their issue is with the progress payments?

Also using a broker but they are family so I am probably getting a little more information along the way. They have worried that the payment schedule is front heavy (50% paid) before lockup and want it changed. Clarendon have advised it is their standard and I am wondering if others have the same schedule?

1) Deposit payable on signing of agreement (less initial 5% deposit paid to date) or prior to commencement of construction - 5%
5) Due on commencement of Internal Linings (Progress payment is due even though tiles may not be bedded and pointed) - 20%
6) Practical Completion (When the building works are complete except for minor ommissions and defect that do not prevent the building works from being reasonably capable of being used for their usual purpose) - 10%

Same situation here, our broker is asking if the builder can adjust the Progress Payment Schedule.

As per this schedule, we'll pay them 60% of the cost with no roof tiles on. What I find tricky is the next payment is due on COMMENCEMENT of stage 5 not completion. So after brickwork (with no roof tiles) and start of Internal Linings we will pay them 90% of the cost.

Clarendon have two payment schedules as below. Payment schedule 1 is the default that most people will get. They will give payment schedule 2 if: (a) you go through their broker (who use NAB I think) or (b) your bank requests payment schedule 2.

All you need is an email or letter from your bank requesting the payment schedule 2.

Payment schedule 1: 5%, 20%, 25%, 20%, 20%, 10%
Payment schedule 2: 5%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 25%, 10%
DandLBuild
SnowLeopard
mountain_view

Clarendon have two payment schedules as below. Payment schedule 1 is the default that most people will get. They will give payment schedule 2 if: (a) you go through their broker (who use NAB I think) or (b) your bank requests payment schedule 2.

All you need is an email or letter from your bank requesting the payment schedule 2.

Payment schedule 1: 5%, 20%, 25%, 20%, 20%, 10%
Payment schedule 2: 5%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 25%, 10%

Thanks Dand.

Clarendon hasn't discussed the second schedule with us. Lender recommended: 10% 15% 20% 20% 15% 10% 10%

We have forwarded this to Clarendon and they'll get back to us tomorrow. Let's see which one they choose.
How long does it usually take for Clarendon to apply for Council approval after contract signing and colours appointment?
k3nnis
JK27
SnowLeopard

Haven’t heard from you JK. Must be busy being too excited with handover?
hope all goes well.

Hi JK, looking forward to know how the handover went. Hope everything is great.

7 months into our construction....

Anyone has any rough indication as to when we should be having handover based on the progress?

SS couldn’t give us any visibility at all and our current lease is due in March.

Our construction will hit 12 months in June (started in June ‘17).

Is June a realistic timeframe for handover?
Hmm based on those pictures I don’t think March will be ready....

trendy1
Hi everyone,
so on Tuesday Clarendon finally came to site!
they started to encase the sewer! and now they haven't been back,

i have my SS phone number but apparently at the moment its not his site till the slab is poured,

has anyone else had there sewer encased before? and know how long this would take?

Hi trendy

you will find that Sydney Water has to inspect and sign off on the sewer encasement which is why there is a delay

cheers
Hi,

Anyone can tell me if this is the correct way they put skirting in step down at the garage wall?

Related
8/05/2024
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

It is Genneral stairs, but they won't deal with anyone off the street. They will only work with clients of project home builders. I tried to but some of these exact…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum