Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Eden Brae - My First Home The Lawson 24

Page 10 of 13
Hi Louise,
I'm envious of the Lawson design. You have lots of storage space.
I was wondering what colour roof did you select? I'm also liking your choice of bathroom colours. I'm going to the colours appointment early May. I'll use your selections as inspiration. Also, if you don't mind what type of splashback did you use in your kitchen?
Thank you.
Sorry Louise, if you don't mind me asking how many metres do you have from your back door/alfresco do you have to the fence? I'm finding it difficult to visualise our backyard.
Hi Louise, the house looks great. It's really coming together - not too long to wait now.

In terms of the pantry window, I didn't like it either and had it taken out but I get a credit for that rather than an extra cost. Crazy. There's just no consistency.

I haven't moved in yet but I wouldn't really change anything - a few extra powerpoints in the bedrooms, slimline water tank, different floor tile and a skylight in the bathroom but that about it. Speaking of skylights what size is yours? It seems to give off a lot of light and I will need to get one after handover so it will be good to do some research and see what cost I will be up for.
Hi Louise

Just caught up on your build and love what you have done so far !!
ohmistershefield25
How many metres do you have from your back door/alfresco to the fence? I'm finding it difficult to visualise our backyard.

Hi. We have a 1000sqm block so the distance from our back door to the back fence is 25m.
cec1974
Hi Louise

Just caught up on your build and love what you have done so far !!

Thank you for your kind words. There are some things I would have done differently but it's too late now. For example, we put the window on the wrong wall and so now the TV will have to go on a wall that I didn't want to use. I would have also made the back living area 1m deeper as it feels a bit too close to the kitchen.
Dearheart

In terms of the pantry window, I didn't like it either and had it taken out but I get a credit for that rather than an extra cost. Crazy. There's just no consistency.

I haven't moved in yet but I wouldn't really change anything - a few extra powerpoints in the bedrooms, slimline water tank, different floor tile and a skylight in the bathroom but that about it. Speaking of skylights what size is yours? It seems to give off a lot of light and I will need to get one after handover so it will be good to do some research and see what cost I will be up for.

Hi. I think we got slugged with the extra cost because it was viewed as a PCV. I'd love to know who has the pantry window and if they like it. I just kept envisioning spider webs in the fly screen and moths near my flour.

The skylight cost us around $800 I think and it was a standard one 550x550 ventilated clear glaze that you can't wind. It looks good though. We were lucky to get it because Eden Brae never suggested it at our meetings. I found they really didn't suggest add ons that may complement the house. For example, we had a sliding door to close the front of the house to the back (as you know, the plan is very long). I wished they had suggested these things rather than us thinking of them later and raising another PCV.

When do you hope to move in? How often are you organising site inspections now?
They didn't suggest anything to me either - I asked about things like shower heads but didn't know about things like upgrading appliances etc. I wish they just had a standard list that they went through rather than it depending on who you get helping you.

My SS said PCI maybe the end of next week and then settlement 2 weeks after that. The only hold up may be the drive being redone but the paver guy was there today and said that more pavers will come on Friday and he might be back on Monday - if he does there will be no hold up hopefully. So the earliest I'll get the house is like the 17th May but it will probably be a little after that - they seem to take there time in fixing the little things. How about you any word?

I haven't had too many inspections - definitely at least 2 more (PCI and settlement) but I'll see how it goes and of more are needed.
Hi, Dearheart. Mid May will come around before you know it! I'm hoping by the beginning of June or at least mid June but the contract end date goes all the way to August so who knows.

Yes, a standard list or checklist would have been so helpful. This is my first time building so maybe they assume people know what they want in a house. Yes, to a degree but not down to things like skylights and TV mounting..

I'm now down to fortnightly inspections with my site manager who is so great by the way. I've had no issues at all so far. He's on the ball and gets back to you quickly. How is yours? Got my next appointment tomorrow though I think the only change is the driveway dug out. The front still needs bagging and we have no carpet or appliances yet though I'm told that comes at the very end.
Quote:
I'm now down to fortnightly inspections with my site manager who is so great by the way. I've had no issues at all so far. He's on the ball and gets back to you quickly. How is yours? Got my next appointment tomorrow though I think the only change is the driveway dug out. The front still needs bagging and we have no carpet or appliances yet though I'm told that comes at the very end.

Mine is terrible at communication but has got on top of most mistakes very quickly. And I say most because there has been gutter needed to be replaced since it went in and I'm still waiting for my rangehood to be replaced - 5 and a half weeks later. Carpet does go in late but should be before PCI and appliances usually go in at the very last minute.

Good luck with your viewing tomorrow. Can you do my a favour and get a picture of your skylight? I want to see what yours looks like so I can start thinking about the style of skylight to get in my bathroom. Thanks.
Hi. Sure can take a pic of the skylight for you tomorrow.
Hi. Sure can take a pic of the skylight for you tomorrow.
Thanks Louise, I appreciate it.
Hi, Dearheart. Went to the house today. Carpet is due today and driveway bext week. Here are some pics of the skylight. Hopefully they are clear.

The skylight looks great Louise. That's exciting - your almost done.
Not too long now.

My mirrors went in today, one shower went in (the other was partly there, so there must have been something wring with it) and some new pavers arrived to fix the driveway. I spoke to the paver person and he said paving definitely happening on Monday.
That is good news... Full steam to the finish line!

Louise ... Love the skylight... I was thinking half way through my build about one in the kitchen area, as it doesn't have any window nearby... It was too late when I suggested it. Maybe something post handover if I feel theres not enough natural lighting.
Hi, Dearheart. Do you mind me asking how long your rumpus is from your kitchen sink to the back wall of the house?

Hi, 1sttimebuilding. I never realised how good skylights could be. Beats putting the light on!

Did anyone consider getting solar panels?

Louise
Hi Louise,

The rumpus is 4470 deep. Not the biggest room ever but adequate for my media room.

I didn't think about getting solar panels with EBH at all.
Hi, Dearheart. Our rumpus is only 3.5m deep and our family room 4.3m deep. It's the only part of the house I wish was a but bigger. But again, no recommendations from EBH and I'm not an architect.
Sorry, just rechecked the measurements. The family room is 4.7m deep. The theatre is 4.3m deep.
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

21/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Congrats. Will be watching this progress and interested to see how you go with summit.

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum