Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 855 of 862
We have our three month inspection very soon. We need to report any faults with our house. We've made a list of things that we've noticed while living in the house. For those that are already in, is there anything in particular we may not have discovered that you think we should check?
Anyone have any issues with Argus for data cabling and any idea how to deal with this? I paid a fortune to get 24 ports ran throughout the house as I couldn't be bothered doing it later despite my best mate bing a sparky and doing it in my old place. Got the "Basic NBN pack" which included 3 ports then added 21 extra data ports.

We got to handover last week and all there is at the termination point is a loom of unterminated data cable hanging out the wall! My site supervisor promised he'd get it sorted in the next few days so stupidly I handed over the cheque as our build took over a year so we were pretty over it. Now he's telling me Argus are playing hardball and saying no we didn't pay for termination, best they'll do is crimp plugs on them which is rubbish! A "Data port" is a usable port at both ends not one port and a length of cable, it's useless as is.

I tried about half a dozen times to confirm how it would all be terminated through each of our 3 site supervisors and never got a concrete answer. Also Argus were by far the worst department to deal with at WoS and seems they're still being bastards.
gavrook
Anyone have any issues with Argus for data cabling and any idea how to deal with this? I paid a fortune to get 24 ports ran throughout the house as I couldn't be bothered doing it later despite my best mate bing a sparky and doing it in my old place. Got the "Basic NBN pack" which included 3 ports then added 21 extra data ports.

We got to handover last week and all there is at the termination point is a loom of unterminated data cable hanging out the wall! My site supervisor promised he'd get it sorted in the next few days so stupidly I handed over the cheque as our build took over a year so we were pretty over it. Now he's telling me Argus are playing hardball and saying no we didn't pay for termination, best they'll do is crimp plugs on them which is rubbish! A "Data port" is a usable port at both ends not one port and a length of cable, it's useless as is.

I tried about half a dozen times to confirm how it would all be terminated through each of our 3 site supervisors and never got a concrete answer. Also Argus were by far the worst department to deal with at WoS and seems they're still being bastards.

That sucks to hear. I was surprised when I spoke to our sparky that only the internal data points were going to be terminated with a data point. All the cat6 points we had provisioned for CCTV were going to be left unterminated. I asked if he could terminate them at least with a male connector so that I could just 'plug and play' my CCTV cameras in. He did this, at a cost of $15 per cable.
gavrook

I had exactly the same problem with my stereo wiring and my camera wiring.

see more About the hoffman – Building the hoffman
https://hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com/about/
Check any smells from your toilets as they have installed 3 toilets with faulty seals at our house and the plumber said it has been a big problem at many builds.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
We have our three month inspection very soon. We need to report any faults with our house. We've made a list of things that we've noticed while living in the house. For those that are already in, is there anything in particular we may not have discovered that you think we should check?

Seems like it's a pretty common problem, this is what i've been left with. I can't legally do anything with this! All despite paying full price for a data port. I would have got them cheaper after the build terminated at both ends despite it being a tonne harder once the plaster is on.

gavrook
Seems like it's a pretty common problem, this is what i've been left with. I can't legally do anything with this! All despite paying full price for a data port. I would have got them cheaper after the build terminated at both ends despite it being a tonne harder once the plaster is on.

That's bloody terrible, cant believe they think that's acceptable.
gavrook

Argus are useless...years after our build I found they ripped all the insulation out of the walls where they ran any cable, because for some crazy reason, they didn't run the cable until after the insulation and plaster was on!
Hello All,
A newbie here and seriously looking at the Smart living range for our first home. Loved the Monarch 20 with extended kitchen option and have asked for a quote.

Is anyone else here building the Smart living range?
RE wiring a few posts up. I paid for a rack with patch panel, so I'm expecting that all 23 (!!!) of my cables are patched in.

I agree though.if you didn't pay for a patch panel they should still terminate each of the leads with a plug. I mean, how did they test them to make sure they all work??!

fademan
RE wiring a few posts up. I paid for a rack with patch panel, so I'm expecting that all 23 (!!!) of my cables are patched in.

I agree though.if you didn't pay for a patch panel they should still terminate each of the leads with a plug. I mean, how did they test them to make sure they all work??!

That was my argument with argus yet my cables still remain unterminated.

I really wish we had a different electrical supplier. I wanted a conduit put in so I could run additional lines after the build, but they don't do it.

fademan
I really wish we had a different electrical supplier. I wanted a conduit put in so I could run additional lines after the build, but they don't do it.

Agreed, I asked about getting my own electrician in to do data cabling, they said no way! Same answer when I asked if i could get holes drilled in the noggins. I then asked to pay for conduits, they wouldn't do it saying it ruined the structual integrtity of the frame, when I asked for proof or evidence of that they had nothing. Meanwhile my last build with Long Island had no issue with me getting my sparky mate to run data-cabling mid build and my neighbour who built with Carslile was able to run his own too.
gavrook
fademan

Agreed, I asked about getting my own electrician in to do data cabling, they said no way! Same answer when I asked if i could get holes drilled in the noggins. I then asked to pay for conduits, they wouldn't do it saying it ruined the structual integrtity of the frame, when I asked for proof or evidence of that they had nothing. Meanwhile my last build with Long Island had no issue with me getting my sparky mate to run data-cabling mid build and my neighbour who built with Carslile was able to run his own too.

I think it depends who you get as SS. Ours let me drill holes and put in draw strings to make it easier post build to put in data cabling. It was about 3 years back though.
xenorg
gavrook
fademan

I think it depends who you get as SS. Ours let me drill holes and put in draw strings to make it easier post build to put in data cabling. It was about 3 years back though.

I think you're right, if i had my last SS at the start it'd be easy, he was really good!
I'd be hitting up their Facebook page for the data issues... Everytime they post anything, follow up with a post about PD not being able to get their electrical contractors to terminate a data outlet per contact...

That'll get some attention

Drew01
I'd be hitting up their Facebook page for the data issues... Everytime they post anything, follow up with a post about PD not being able to get their electrical contractors to terminate a data outlet per contact...

That'll get some attention

I might have a solution thanks to my awesome SS, still pending management approval though.
Do tell, or PM me please ;(

xenorg
gavrook
fademan

Ours told us the old chestnut that it would void the warrantee and that the frame wouldn't past Inspection with holes in them.

This said even though there was no problem with the holes PD put through the frame. Mmmmm

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum