Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 851 of 862
Aah ok, fair enough...interesting offering, I see that they have that on their website...cheaper comes with less service..They should have made that clear to you up front :/
Rameez
fademan
Don't you do stair colour selection etc at your world of style appointment? It's part of the colour selection appointment...??

Hi fademan,

We are building from a Smart Living range which is a poorly designed product from PD. Only realised after signing the quote and paying a $2K deposit. World of Style is not related to Smart Living range. We only get limited (4 to be exact) themes/styles to choose from. These style have all the colour pallets. We were shown the handrail stain but not the material used for treads and risers. We were not even taken to or asked to book an appointment with World of Style reps for selections.

That's the reason I am asking on this forum, if more people have signed up from Smart Living range and if they have more information on stair cases from PD.

fademan
Aah ok, fair enough...interesting offering, I see that they have that on their website...cheaper comes with less service..They should have made that clear to you up front :/
Rameez
fademan
Don't you do stair colour selection etc at your world of style appointment? It's part of the colour selection appointment...??

Hi fademan,

We are building from a Smart Living range which is a poorly designed product from PD. Only realised after signing the quote and paying a $2K deposit. World of Style is not related to Smart Living range. We only get limited (4 to be exact) themes/styles to choose from. These style have all the colour pallets. We were shown the handrail stain but not the material used for treads and risers. We were not even taken to or asked to book an appointment with World of Style reps for selections.

That's the reason I am asking on this forum, if more people have signed up from Smart Living range and if they have more information on stair cases from PD.

Well... that's how sales process work right!!? Get into talking and convince to buy the new products to people new to the industry.. who don't understand much of the products.. I have done a fair bit of research on my own after signing up for this product. The product is not cheap. It's just that they are designed to suit smaller lot size. Well got to know from PD's own people that they were not ready to launch the product early in the year and hence it was poorly designed.
Maybe...our sales rep was really transparent with us and spent heaps of time going through the details of our home. I think we spent 6+ hours with him over two meetings before signing up and paying the deposit...if it's "only" 2k you can still walk away....2k is nothing if you're not going to be happy with the final result!

Hi Guys,

Insulation question, what does the following really mean in the contract document.

External Wall will have batts of R2.5 + Foil wrapped ?
Ceiling will have R5.0 batts + foil wrapped ?

Thanks.
World_Of_Waldorf
Hi Guys,

Insulation question, what does the following really mean in the contract document.

Thanks.
They rap the whole house on the outside of the stud walls with foil to seal it. We've just moved in and today on a 13 Dec day in Melbourne I was home all day without the heater on and the lowest temp the house got was 18 deg C

see more About the hoffman – Building the hoffman
https://hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com/about/
That's great to know about the insulation. Our previous house have no insulation at all, it was awful.

Has anyone changed their front door? I was advised at WOS the front door I wanted I couldn't have, I had to have the one with glass panels (from Corinthian Doors). This was fine, its a lovely door, but I still really want a solid door, the original one I wanted. I have just emailed our BC to ask again in case our WOS consultant had no idea.
Its been a busy 2 weeks on site

Hi team

2 new posts have been added to my blog this weekend.

One about windows
https://forsyth35.com/2018/05/19/a-room-with-a-view/

and one about the kitchen and our bar area
https://forsyth35.com/2018/05/20/the-heart-of-the-home/

Along with some more videos and updates on our build timeline for those curious about how it is progressing
https://forsyth35.com/our-site-photo-timer-line/

Happy reading
Cheers C
goldencrumble
That's great to know about the insulation. Our previous house have no insulation at all, it was awful.

Has anyone changed their front door? I was advised at WOS the front door I wanted I couldn't have, I had to have the one with glass panels (from Corinthian Doors). This was fine, its a lovely door, but I still really want a solid door, the original one I wanted. I have just emailed our BC to ask again in case our WOS consultant had no idea.
We had the same problem as I wanted a pivot door and was told around $5k. So I have purchased a second hand pivot door for $600, can buy the frame for $650 and its $400 to pull out the old door and frame (which ill sell) and put the new one in.

Haven't posted an update on the hoise for a while.
Some artwork finally up and work started on the front deck.

So we just got our frame invoice through. Is it normal to have this finished and we haven't even heard from our construction supervisor? I had no idea it would be done so quickly as I had Darbecca down to do a frame inspection as well.

I have told my husband to call him and tell him we want a site inspection, which is stated in the invoice we received as well.
Hi guys, got a quick question.. we must have had our water connection set up sometime ago.. and received a bill for $55, it was not for the water usage but other charges.. should PD be paying this or should we be paying this?
brucefil2011

We are looking into getting a deck soon. What is yours made out of?

World_Of_Waldorf
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

When we built our home a few years ago with PD, we asked for insulation to all external walls and the ceiling. Come build time, we found out that -
External walls does not include the 'external' garage walls if you were intending to have those insulated. It only includes the wall between the house and garage, and all external walls of the actual house.
Ceiling insulation does not include non inhabitable areas, i.e. garage, or the alfresco ceiling.

This may or not be a problem for you.

Also, be sure to check the ceiling insulation at handover to ensure it is done properly. Ours was all over the place, and half of the master bedroom ceiling wasn't even covered.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011

We are looking into getting a deck soon. What is yours made out of?

It's an australian hardwood mix of spotted gum and Tassie oak.
I was lucky enough to buy 600m for 500 bucks and made the deck myself. It's not as hard as you might think.

Just finished sanding and staining in Japanese black today. Looks even better now IMHO

Agree on checking the roof insulation. Ours was in good shape
xenorg
World_Of_Waldorf
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

When we built our home a few years ago with PD, we asked for insulation to all external walls and the ceiling. Come build time, we found out that -
External walls does not include the 'external' garage walls if you were intending to have those insulated. It only includes the wall between the house and garage, and all external walls of the actual house.
Ceiling insulation does not include non inhabitable areas, i.e. garage, or the alfresco ceiling.

This may or not be a problem for you.

Also, be sure to check the ceiling insulation at handover to ensure it is done properly. Ours was all over the place, and half of the master bedroom ceiling wasn't even covered.

We have just finished lockup stage today and fixing stage will be complete on Tuesday. That means we are entering the final stage.

How long did the final stage go for you? Double storey with lots of tiling.

I am hopeful we will have keys late July to late August. So 2 to 3 months. Is this being overly optimistic?
Laura Ireland
We have just finished lockup stage today and fixing stage will be complete on Tuesday. That means we are entering the final stage.

I am hopeful we will have keys late July to late August. So 2 to 3 months. Is this being overly optimistic?

Guessing it will vary greatly, we are building a single storey and we paid fixing stage mid December and are still going...
gavrook
Laura Ireland

Guessing it will vary greatly, we are building a single storey and we paid fixing stage mid December and are still going...

4 months for fixing stage? 😰
I'm sure not all are as slow as ours, probably depends where you're building. I've heard the problems are mostly in the west and I'd be inclined to believe that considering the other 2 PD builds on our street are going just as slow.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum