Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Boutique Homes

Page 86 of 172
Boutique have called and advised that our house is only 10mm shorter (which ofcourse is wrong) as ensuite side is 1007mm shorter, my alfresco is 300mm shorter, void is 10mm shorter, ensuite 90mm shorter, butler pantry 45mm shorter, main bathroom 90mm shorter, my passage is smaller due to them extending the home office wall out by 90mm, ofcourse house is smaller due to them moving the garage into the house, when we never asked for any changes other than the 3rd garage and 480mm extra garage space so we have asked for an answer asap, doubt we will get one by end of today though. Oh by the way it's not like we didn't have the space either as our front is 19.5m and length is 36m so why they did that I have no idea.
I hope you get it sorted out Ozden86! I would be so stressed out!!

I have a question for the group. We have site start date next week and I'm looking in independent building inspectors. I'm just wondering whether other people have got an inspector and what stages you hired them as I've read that boutique build is of high quality, so unsure whether I need it or not.
Help please!
Unfortunately Ozden im building a St Tropez so cant help you with your query sad to hear on that.

TinaC reading in some of the forums majority would be if they are on a tight buget framing and completion only.

Others base, frame and completion.

I think for a full stage inspections you are looking around 3k with average cost of $600 per stage.
We're using New Home Inspections for 4 stages - Slab, Frame, Pre-Plaster, and Pre-Handover. Costs in the low $ 2k. They are recommended.
Thanks travelbugvee & 7th_Cavalry! New Home Inspections are on my list atm, i'll call them on Monday
Ouch Ozden86 - that sounds tricky. I would try to elevate the request above the site supervisor and your client liaison, and try to talk to someone in management. Get it rectified quickly. I got put in touch with my site supervisor's immediate manager when we had the steel beam issue, and I started to refuse stage payments after 4 or 5 weeks of waiting for the issue to be fixed. The issue then got fixed within about a week =)

Also yep - highly recommend New Home Inspections. We had them do a pre-contract review (before signing HIA contract), a pre-slab pour inspection, frame inspection, pre-plaster inspection, waterproof & fixing inspection, and will also get them to do a final inspection just before our new home presentation.

Just frustrated right now that our SS didn't get the caesar stone ordered in the proper timing, so that pretty much everything else has been done in the house now except for that, and all the things that depend on it being down (sinks/mirrors/feature tiling). We have carpet and flooring, which I was told was going to be VERY last to go down, but we're just waiting on this bloody stone for all the benches =/

I just hope it doesn't take more than a couple of weeks from here. I don't want to be sitting around for 4 or 5 weeks for everything to get completed, when we were originally told it would be all done around Australia Day...
Digitalnash - we are in a similar boat. Our stone was slightly delayed which pushes everything else back. We are waiting on the glass splash backs now (and one piece of stone - lucky that bit doesn't affect anything else) It is incredibly hard the end wait - as most days nobody is onsite so it plays with your emotions. I'm trying my best to be patient
- I'm just dam excited, and everything in our horrible rental is annoying me even more at the moment. Lol.

Ozden86 - wow your block is huge. I do hope you can get it sorted ASAP and continue with the build.

TinaC - we have a number of family and friends in the building industry, so have just used them to inspect our stages. All have been super impressed so far. My brother in law works for another volume builder so he has given it a good going over. I also have full faith with my SS - he has been great.

Here's to a good week of progress for us all!!!
?

Blog: www.dapplegrey.com.au
Hi all, love the forum and reading all your great posts.

The wife and I are about to sign up with boutique. Just a quick question regarding hot water service!

Has anyone just gone with the instantaneous and no solar hot water

What brand do the give you in the instant version?
@blueboy152 the standard brand is Chromagen, so I assume upgrade would be from the same supplier?

Thanks all, yes unfortunately it is definitely not what we expected to face during the build but we are awaiting a response. On the weekend we went and measured the rooms and I just laughed because I definitely don't think the bath tub is going to fit in the bathroom.

TinaC - We went with Darbecca Pty Ltd - People know the company as Darren Love. We are doing all 5 stages of inspection and its costing us just under $2400. We have Pre Pour/Base Inspections, Slab/Frame Inspections, Pre Plaster Inspections, Pre Paint/Fixing Inspections and PCI/Final Inspections. We choose to do all 5 due to the house costing us over $350k so an extra $2400 I think is worth every cent just for a piece of mind.
I have been hounding Whittlesea council to update the bushfire map as my estate currently under development is 100 meters off from the nearest grass or vegetation otherwise your builder will slap u another 5k so that your house is bushfire proof depending on BAL rating you have. After of weeks of sending them emails I got a response, if you want to know if your estate is in a bushfire zone check the Vic govt website on bushfire map

Here are there response from the council apparently there is an appeal process. This is helpful if you are bldg in a new estate.

--------------
I run the website but I don't have any input into setting the boundaries.

The bushfire prone area boundaries are updated every 6 months or so. The last release was in August 2015. Last November I was told to expect the next release in February (this month), but I don't have a firm date. I have no information as to what changes may occur.
One of the criteria used is to allow a 60 metre buffer around all "un-managed" land - this includes farmland (which might be scheduled for subdivision). You can see the buffer on this map. The un-managed land may shrink in the next boundary release, and the buffer may no longer affect Evenglow Drive - I don't know. It is not just trees and scrub which increase the bushfire risk, there have been recent examples of grass fires quickly spreading and threatening properties.

I understand you can appeal against the bushfire requirements - check with the Victorian Building Authority at www.vba.vic.gov.au.

Regards

Chris Egan
For those who have moved in, do you still release payment if defects are found during house handover? Does Boutique take a long time to rectify defects after handover?
7th_Cavalry

The bushfire prone area boundaries are updated every 6 months or so. The last release was in August 2015. Last November I was told to expect the next release in February (this month), but I don't have a firm date. I have no information as to what changes may occur.

Thanks 7th_Cavalry
That's a very useful information. My plot number is not yet visible on the bushfire map. Boutique added about 5K bushfire provision. By looking at the map, I'm almost sure that my plot is out of bushfire zone. However I was told that they can take this provision out, once my plot number is visible on the map.

Hopefully two more updates before the plot titling should clear it.
jeeman
7th_Cavalry

Thanks 7th_Cavalry
That's a very useful information. My plot number is not yet visible on the bushfire map. Boutique added about 5K bushfire provision. By looking at the map, I'm almost sure that my plot is out of bushfire zone. However I was told that they can take this provision out, once my plot number is visible on the map.

Hopefully two more updates before the plot titling should clear it.

Which suburb are you building Jeeman?

For the rest, here is the link to the bushfire map zone (you can zoom in) or type the street and suburb of your land.
http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/bushfire.jsp
Peeps who have not started their build with Boutique - did your contract specify the number of coats for your internal paint?
I was told 2 coats, BUT, I remember I read 3 coats somewhere. Here it is http://www.boutiquehomes.com.au/premium-inclusions

I sent an email for confirmation as otherwise, why upgrade to 3 coats when their website said it's standard?

This 3-coat paint is definitely new as I recall 2-coat as the standard "premium inclusion". It cost me $ 1,161.00 to triple coat a double-storey.
travelbugvee
This 3-coat paint is definitely new as I recall 2-coat as the standard "premium inclusion". It cost me $ 1,161.00 to triple coat a double-storey.

That's interesting!

I just double checked my Pwc and building contract. At no point it said 2 coats is the standard, so hopefully I can argue that the 3 coats is the standard

The Addenda will contain the information under the section - PAINTER. There, it will state clearly the number of coats on the walls ceilings, cornices, doors, architraves, and skirting boards.
travelbugvee
The Addenda will contain the information under the section - PAINTER. There, it will state clearly the number of coats on the walls ceilings, cornices, doors, architraves, and skirting boards.

Thank you
. Just double checked mine and it said one undercoat and two top coats, hoorah!

johanna.ram
We went with a neutral theme also.
We opted for a Cat.7 Rocky Oak timber (engineered). It's a light timber when you in the show room have a look.

Here is a pic of our flooring choices:

For the internal wall we chose Parchment.

For the room I went with the standard batten light. My logic was that the time spend in the room is mostly for sleeping and lamp shades give a nice ambience. The WIR will need good lighting.

Your house is much bigger than mine and might need at least 6 - 8 downlights in the living area.

I have my electrical plan on my blog.

Oh and the cost of upgrading to a cat. 2 brick for our size home was around $760 and cat. 3 $1040.

If you have time visit Austral brick in your area and check out samples there. They might give you addresses of homes in your area of bricks you like. This saved us heaps of time.

https://letsbuildwithboutique.wordpress.com

@johanna.ram really love your Rocky Oak timber flooring, do you know what brand it is?
Love you plan too! Wish we lived in VIC so we could use Boutique!
Related
28/06/2023
Boutique Homes

General Discussion

Thanks for the insight.

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum