Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 848 of 862
Very exciting day with the bitumen going on today.

First wheelbarrow loaded, will update my blog with pictures after its finished today.

see more About the hoffman – Building the hoffman
https://hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com/about/
Blog now updated.

Thanks to everyone hopefully you have all enjoyed our blog in the last 24 hours it has surpassed 1,500 visitors and 10,000 individual page reads.

Wow the power of the net for communication is just astonishing.

Most of all we hope our blog has helped others through thier build and dealing with Porter Davis and other trades.

If you don't mind the ask, how much per meter was the bitumen?

We have finally started! Site started yesterday with a our site cut.

I just wanted to ask what people have done with tracking their build and documenting things. I'm trying to find a way that will work for us, whether its a note book with notes, excel spreadsheet, some app etc. I plan on taking photos of the site with my timestamp app so the date and time are shown on every photo.

I have all the email correspondence in folders on my email, I may print some out as well.

Thanks!!
Drew01

It was about $40 per Sq m including all groundwork.

brucefil2011
Drew01

That's pretty reasonable, we've been quoted $110-ish for exposed aggregate concrete. Who was the company? We're starting to get quotes for post build. We like bitumen with a bit of aggregate in it like our friends have, but the company who did theirs, the owner retired a few years back

Drew01
brucefil2011
Drew01

That's pretty reasonable, we've been quoted $110-ish for exposed aggregate concrete. Who was the company? We're starting to get quotes for post build. We like bitumen with a bit of aggregate in it like our friends have, but the company who did theirs, the owner retired a few years back

I can highly recommend them. I like the look of white rocks coming through and my asphalt is done like that. It takes about 3 months for the white rocks to start popping out of the black asphalt. This is the normal finish so unlike exposed ag no extra. Asphalt also has the benefit that unlike exposed agg its smith. No kids with damaged elbows and knees.

P: (03) 5971 2357  //  M: 0412 515 226  //  E:asphaltp@bigpond.net.au

A: 735 Frankston Flinders Road Baxter, Vic 3911  // W: www.asphaltpavingco.com.au

Can anyone tell if thing like sinks, shower base, baths, basins, wet area sealing are part of fixing stage?

What about external cladding, tiling in bathroom, splash back, stone on kitchen bench and island, stone on bathroom bench etc is part of fixing or completion ?

These are all pending and I have received the invoice.

The PD contract definition is very broad and does not list specific things.
goldencrumble

I just wanted to ask what people have done with tracking their build and documenting things. I'm trying to find a way that will work for us, whether its a note book with notes, excel spreadsheet, some app etc. I plan on taking photos of the site with my timestamp app so the date and time are shown on every photo.

I have all the email correspondence in folders on my email, I may print some out as well.

Thanks!!

We used a combination of a spreadsheet, emails and Evernote (app and computer based note program), plus taking photos which automatically get timestamped and uploaded to the cloud.
For those thinking about the Brivis touchpad. We chose it mid 2016 due to the rep saying there will be an app coming with wifi control. So I messaged Brivis and asked when is it coming. Here is their reply:

"Hi Coralie, we are working on an app which we hope to have available mid-year which will have internet connectivity. Thanks, Brivis Climate Systems."
We have contracted Darbecca for our house inspections and I need to get back to them.
Can I ask everyone what parts they used an independent inspector for?
goldencrumble
We have contracted Darbecca for our house inspections and I need to get back to them.

We used Darbecca as well and did all the inspection they offer. We combined the inspections that it was possible to do so for in order to save a bit of money.

One (legitimate) complaint that our SS had about Darbecca is that often they will tell you about a problem but not necessarily the location(s) of that problem. For example we had a problem with a gutter that didn't run downhill, but the report didn't say where it was so all the gutters had to be checked. Same with a few noggins etc, or insulation not being installed correctly.

You also have to keep in mind that just because it's on the report doesn't mean that it has to necessarily be fixed, if it's a big issue you will no doubt want it done but for small non structural issues you may not care enough to delay the build. As an example we had a window where the bottom sill slopes downwards by about 5mm over the width of the window. Taking it out and getting it replaced would have delayed things by a couple of weeks, it wasn't a big issues to us so we let it go.
goldencrumble

We did every stage

www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
goldencrumble
We did slab, frame and final inspections. My feeling is a flat well made slab and a frame that is built correctly = a well built house.

brucefil2011
goldencrumble

We did slab, frame and final inspections. My feeling is a flat well made slab and a frame that is built correctly = a well built house.

That's what I originally had down to do. Did you do the pre-slab inspection, or after the slab was poured? I didn't realise they were 2 different inspections available.
goldencrumble
brucefil2011
goldencrumble

That's what I originally had down to do. Did you do the pre-slab inspection, or after the slab was poured? I didn't realise they were 2 different inspections available.
Pre slab as you can not see anything underneath post slab. For post slab you can do it yourself. All you need is a 2m long straight edge some packers and a metal ruler.

You need to see if the slab is flat and doesnt have waves in it if you want flat floors.

The Victorian building authority has a tolerences guide you can download that all builders must meet. This includes allowable fall and wavyness in slabs.

We did the pre-slab, if you then get the frame inspection they do a complimentary slab inspection anyway.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that gets combined and you get discounts if you do more than a couple of inspections anyway, our total cost for them all was about $2,600.
Handover (hopefully) today....

Good luck
goldencrumble

Thanks!!

We setup a specific gmail account for the whole build. That meant that the 2 of us could read/send the same messages. It also gave us access to google drive which we used to keep all build documents. Again, it allowed either of us access to the same documents. Any photos from the build from either of us were saved to the same google drive.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum