Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with Clarendon??

Page 846 of 929
Gambit79
ajedi2k
xander1114
We are building the Sherwood 42 and currently at tiling stage. So disappointed with the tiling workmanship I thought I would pop onto this forum for advice.
Our bathroom floor tiles are 300x300. And the wall tiles are 300x450. At tiles direct we chose for the wall tiles to go Vertical so the grout lines would line up with the floor tiles. We have 4 bathrooms and none of the floor and wall tiles line up. Some are off by 2cm, some 10cm. It just looks like lazy workmanship. It's sending my OCD into overdrive. I checked with friends of mine who recently built with allcastle homes and their tiling is beautifully done, all tiles line up perfectly.
Is anyone currently at tiling stage or have already completed tiles?? Am I being silly to have expected the tiles to line up?
We are spending +$700K on this house. To be told that if we had spent more money maybe they would've spent more time on it - wasn't exactly the response I expected from Clarendon.

hi
Did you raise this with your SS?
I remember someone else on this forum had the same issue you were talking about, their SS got tiles direct to strip out all tiles and relay it with the correct orientation at no cost to the client.
I believe standard process is you have a meeting the tiler before he does his job (I could be wrong on that one).

AJ

Interestingly we were told by tiles direct that the grout may not line up due to the different size in tiles.

Thank you all for your input. So I have been told by Tiles Direct that floor and walls have different grout width so will never line up. If tiler tried to line these up then it will gradually be out of line. Still doesn't really explain why other bathrooms I have seen are perfect.
I guess I will just have to live with it. Apart from this issue I'm really happy with how the bathrooms are looking. I will post some photos when I work out how to do this

I do suggest for those that are expecting their tiles to line up, have this conversation with Tiles Direct prior to tiling rather than be disappointed after they have been completed.

NY123
Thanks amiarm. I am also keen to figure out if building a bulter's pantry with Clarendon is better than doing it post handover.
Have you done any research on this? Do you know the costs associated?

Butler's pantry through clarendon costing me 5K, I am planning to do butler pantry and all WIR's from outside. I think it will save us some money.
Just wondering if anyone has recessed bifold doors that open out to alfresco? If so, what is the height of your doors?
Ours seem really low - they are 2100mm. Because we opted for them to be recessed, I'm wondering should Clarendon have recommended an increased door height?

wingzee
ajedi2k
wingzee
We would like to have an oven with steam function but was quoted close to $4k for Smeg's one through Clarendon. We found one through Ikea for only $1199.

Anyone managed to get away with own appliances to be done post-handover - basically spaces were provisioned and get credits back?

during my tender, I asked my tender presenter if it's possible to get the house without an cooktop. as I wanted to put my own cooktop(Induction). he made a few phone calls on the day and said I can and get a credit for it. so yes it's possible.
but I ended up getting standard include ones.

That's great! Thanks for sharing this. Our CC didn't give us a straight no for an answer but told us it would be pretty hard to say to get it approved - which leave us with the question whether do you need those applicances in place for handover.

Hi Wingzee,

Have you heard back from Clarendon on using own appliances post handover and get credit back?
I have evo package and they providing useless appliances so thinking of getting my own appliances post handover.
xander1114
Gambit79
ajedi2k
[quote="xander1114"]We are building the Sherwood 42 and currently at tiling stage. So disappointed with the tiling workmanship I thought I would pop onto this forum for advice.
Our bathroom floor tiles are 300x300. And the wall tiles are 300x450. At tiles direct we chose for the wall tiles to go Vertical so the grout lines would line up with the floor tiles. We have 4 bathrooms and none of the floor and wall tiles line up. Some are off by 2cm, some 10cm. It just looks like lazy workmanship. It's sending my OCD into overdrive. I checked with friends of mine who recently built with allcastle homes and their tiling is beautifully done, all tiles line up perfectly.
Is anyone currently at tiling stage or have already completed tiles?? Am I being silly to have expected the tiles to line up?
We are spending +$700K on this house. To be told that if we had spent more money maybe they would've spent more time on it - wasn't exactly the response I expected from Clarendon.

hi
Did you raise this with your SS?
I remember someone else on this forum had the same issue you were talking about, their SS got tiles direct to strip out all tiles and relay it with the correct orientation at no cost to the client.
I believe standard process is you have a meeting the tiler before he does his job (I could be wrong on that one).

AJ

Interestingly we were told by tiles direct that the grout may not line up due to the different size in tiles.

Thank you all for your input. So I have been told by Tiles Direct that floor and walls have different grout width so will never line up. If tiler tried to line these up then it will gradually be out of line. Still doesn't really explain why other bathrooms I have seen are perfect.
I guess I will just have to live with it. Apart from this issue I'm really happy with how the bathrooms are looking. I will post some photos when I work out how to do this

I do suggest for those that are expecting their tiles to line up, have this conversation with Tiles Direct prior to tiling rather than be disappointed after they have been completed.

[/quote]
Floor tiles laid with 3mm grout width and wall tiles are laid with 1mm grout width (or the other way around - I can't remember exactly) for standard ceramic tiles so what you were told is correct however, I imagine this wouldn't lead to huge misalignment between the floor and wall tiles especially for a small room like the bathroom. I would raise it further.
amiarm
Anyone else going to tender stage with Clarendon next month? We've almost finalised hayward 24 with ultimate eveolution promotion. Only things we are missing from sapphire are 2.75m ceiling height, SMEG, Entry Door and 40mm benchtops.

Got a below rough quote from sales agent for evolution:

All ultimate evolution promotions included without any cost:
http://www.clarendon.com.au/pdfs/promo_ ... lution.pdf

Hayward 24 evolution price: $278,800
Entry Door: $2K
site cost as per current contour plans: $12K
Extra Vanity Basin in esnuite: $1K
Ducted Rangehood: $450
Downlights(65) wiring only:$3.7K

Any idea, what else we should be considereing?

Do we get good options in standard TILES and BRICKS for evolution package? We don't want to spend extra money on tiles and bricks.

Thanks
Ami

Hi, We are building Madison 35 with clarendon and have tender scheduled in days. I am curious to know how did you go with downlights? Since you only went with wiring with clarendon was it easy and cost effective for you to get lights from your guy?

And we have lift off on our second Clarendon build. Felt like forever to get here and then woke up to torrential rain but luckily it stopped for a us just long enough for our earthworks.

Hi amiarm,

Nope nothing so far - we are still waiting for the CS to revert to us with quotes for all the upgrades and changes we made during Colours, including appliances. We having our Electrical & Security tomorrow though, together with Stairs with we missed the last round. Shall keep you posted.
indu.singh0602
amiarm
Anyone else going to tender stage with Clarendon next month? We've almost finalised hayward 24 with ultimate eveolution promotion. Only things we are missing from sapphire are 2.75m ceiling height, SMEG, Entry Door and 40mm benchtops.

Got a below rough quote from sales agent for evolution:

All ultimate evolution promotions included without any cost:
http://www.clarendon.com.au/pdfs/promo_ ... lution.pdf

Hayward 24 evolution price: $278,800
Entry Door: $2K
site cost as per current contour plans: $12K
Extra Vanity Basin in esnuite: $1K
Ducted Rangehood: $450
Downlights(65) wiring only:$3.7K

Any idea, what else we should be considereing?

Do we get good options in standard TILES and BRICKS for evolution package? We don't want to spend extra money on tiles and bricks.

Thanks
Ami

Hi, We are building Madison 35 with clarendon and have tender scheduled in days. I am curious to know how did you go with downlights? Since you only went with wiring with clarendon was it easy and cost effective for you to get lights from your guy?

Due to some issues we postponed tender appointment to 31/03.
As far i know, clarendon don't do wiring only anymore.
Yeap I can vouch for this. No more pre-wiring for downlights - per downlight point, supply & install is $98. Standard given is HPM DLI 9002 (7W 90 degrees 800lm 3000-4000k). Upgrade from existing light points is $73 ea. Additional light point remains at $58.

Just did our Electrical & Smart Home together with Stairs appointment today. Our advice is to plan in advance and that saves time and unexpected costs as well (for eg. last minute upgrades) - Zurcorp will normally provide the plans about a month in advance from your appointment. Despite our well thought through plans we still spent close to 2hrs each appointment & made several changes.

Here's a rough breakdown:

Electrical ($10.5k)
Power
DPP x 10 + few with USB ports
DPP in island bench
Surge protection
Additional power circuit x 2 (only up to 20x PP per circuit)

Lights & Fans
Upgrade tender light point to down lights x 8
Down lights x 41
Tread light for stairs x 4
External LED wall lights x 2
LED flood light x 1
Fan points + noggings x 1
2-way & 3-way switches x 5
Additional light circuit x 3 ($275 each!)

Home Security ($5.2k)
Data points x 11
Data module (required for if you have >8 points)
Foxtel IQ2 x 2
Wall TV mount & conduit x 1
TV multiswitch & cabling for antenna + satellite TV
7" touch button intercom
Bosch 3000 Alarm ($1.9k)
- 7" + 4.3" touch screen keypads
- Windows/doors reed switch x 13
- Monitoring connection to mobile phone
- Ethernet communication module (arm/disarm via phone app, requires data point)

Stairs (~$8k)
Glass balustrade with stainless steel railing $5k++
Laminated flooring/steps, same with one used for flooring downstairs -> Parador Trendtime 6 - Oak Castell Limited ($2.8k)

Next week will be Tiles and signing off all our Selections and we're done! Yet to receive the approval from council though - expected by end March.
wingzee
Yeap I can vouch for this. No more pre-wiring for downlights - per downlight point, supply & install is $98. Standard given is HPM DLI 9002 (7W 90 degrees 800lm 3000-4000k). Upgrade from existing light points is $73 ea. Additional light point remains at $58.

Just did our Electrical & Smart Home together with Stairs appointment today. Our advice is to plan in advance and that saves time and unexpected costs as well (for eg. last minute upgrades) - Zurcorp will normally provide the plans about a month in advance from your appointment. Despite our well thought through plans we still spent close to 2hrs each appointment & made several changes.

Electrical ($10.5k)
Power
DPP in island bench
Surge protection

Lights & Fans
Down lights x 41
LED flood light x 1

Home Security ($5.2k)
Data points x 11
Foxtel IQ2 x 2
7" touch button intercom
Bosch 3000 Alarm ($1.9k)

Stairs (~$8k)
Laminated flooring/steps, same with one used for flooring downstairs -> Parador Trendtime 6 - Oak Castell Limited ($2.8k)

Next week will be Tiles and signing off all our Selections and we're done! Yet to receive the approval from council though - expected by end March.

Nice. Where are you building?

wingzee

Electrical ($10.5k)
Power
DPP in island bench
Surge protection

Lights & Fans
Down lights x 41
LED flood light x 1

Home Security ($5.2k)
Data points x 11
Foxtel IQ2 x 2
7" touch button intercom
Bosch 3000 Alarm ($1.9k)

Stairs (~$8k)

Thanks for info.
Standard downlight for $98 are warm or cool white?
Did you mean that to convert existing light point to downlight will cost us $73 each?
Hi!
We are thinking of building with Clarendon (Kiet 25), but we're told we can't make the ensuite shower bigger - which might be a deal breaker for me! Has anyone successfully got a bigger ensuite shower with Clarendon?!
TIA
-B

- B
Hi amiarm,

Yes that's correct. $73 if convert existing light points to down lights & $98 for any additional down lights + points.

Both warm & cool-rates ones costs the same.

amiarm
wingzee

Electrical ($10.5k)
Power
DPP in island bench
Surge protection

Lights & Fans
Down lights x 41
LED flood light x 1

Home Security ($5.2k)
Data points x 11
Foxtel IQ2 x 2
7" touch button intercom
Bosch 3000 Alarm ($1.9k)

Stairs (~$8k)

Thanks for info.
Standard downlight for $98 are warm or cool white?
Did you mean that to convert existing light point to downlight will cost us $73 each?
Due to have our plumbing and piering done today but its been raining all night and morning and all day yesterday so no more work for us today. Its forecasted to rain all week so I guess we are off to a slow start with this build. Last build we had no rain at all the whole time. Normally I love rain...but rain and building just don't mix
I guarantee you, you won't love rain when building

I stand corrected.... we are having a lot of plumbing love around the rain showers
Lol and also bom.gov.au will be the most frequently visited website haha

Anyone submitted their tender request in early March? I've just been informed that the next available tender presentation date is mid may, which is almost 2.5 months after we submitted our tender request. Quite infuriating really since the reason why we went with Clarendon was because the sales consultant seemed quite sure that it would only take 6 weeks.

Building a Clarendon Ferndale MK II (for now)
Buildingourfirstnest
Anyone submitted their tender request in early March? I've just been informed that the next available tender presentation date is mid may, which is almost 2.5 months after we submitted our tender request. Quite infuriating really since the reason why we went with Clarendon was because the sales consultant seemed quite sure that it would only take 6 weeks.

Building a Clarendon Ferndale MK II (for now)

yes, there is a long wait at the moment. you will probably receive $100 event cinemas gold class voucher for delayed tender appointment.

deposit on 28/02 and tender appt on 11/05.
Related
8/05/2024
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

It is Genneral stairs, but they won't deal with anyone off the street. They will only work with clients of project home builders. I tried to but some of these exact…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum