Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 838 of 862
Drew01
shane3340
We are coming up to contract and our BC has just quit - we have a new one, Natalie - hoping she sticks around and is good with the whole communication thing. Been a bit worried lately with the massive negativity on the Facebook groups!

That's pretty common... Don't worry about the negative comments, these builders build 1000's of houses a year, and people never complain about great experiences...

You're right, I find a few good tips in the groups, but there are so many "PD destroyed my entire life" posts!

I guess it's not like there would be a lot of people who are happy with their house going on there signing their praise.... they kind of just move on with their life...
shane3340
Drew01
That's pretty common... Don't worry about the negative comments, these builders build 1000's of houses a year, and people never complain about great experiences...

You're right, I find a few good tips in the groups, but there are so many "PD destroyed my entire life" posts!

I guess it's not like there would be a lot of people who are happy with their house going on there signing their praise.... they kind of just move on with their life...

Once your house has been built if you're happy you probably just drop out of those groups and sites like this. If you're unhappy you stick around and tell everyone about it.
Hurrow
Ashik_09
That kind of sounds like what everyone is doing..

Just thought will be better to use the same guy to get a little more stuff done during the build rather than after the build!!! Just want different switch boards.. the ones provided by PD for $45 is such a rip off.. am looking at Saturn Zen and they are $45 online.. PD is charging almost double for them...

and absolutely need few more power points...

You pretty much need an electrician who is willing to do the extra stuff for you and a site supervisor who is ok to turn a blind eye to it. And be around at the right time to talk to the electrician about doing it.

Given the mixed reports of communication styles of site supervisors on here from returning phone calls twenty minutes later to two weeks later it's a gamble as to whether it would work out for you or not.

I will throw out the request.. and if its too much trouble.. just do it later!!! don;t want too much drama .. they are just few points...
Drew01
Ashik_09

Just thought will be better to use the same guy to get a little more stuff done during the build rather than after the build!!! Just want different switch boards.. the ones provided by PD for $45 is such a rip off.. am looking at Saturn Zen and they are $45 online.. PD is charging almost double for them...

We're not building with PD, but the switches we're having installed by the builder are LeGrand Excel Life, which if we option an illuminated blue ring, will cost a shed load more than doing them post handover ourselves at $6.60 per switch

we are looking at the below models

https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/52452 ... 63pbl.html
http://agmelectrical.com.au/electrical- ... lates.html

I like the concept of illuminated blue ring!!! Sounds awesome.. do you know the model or the brand???
I have the Saturn zen 4000 I love them. They are pricey thou. But we have it in all the main areas down stairs.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Ashik_09
Drew01
Ashik_09

We're not building with PD, but the switches we're having installed by the builder are LeGrand Excel Life, which if we option an illuminated blue ring, will cost a shed load more than doing them post handover ourselves at $6.60 per switch

we are looking at the below models

https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/52452 ... 63pbl.html
http://agmelectrical.com.au/electrical- ... lates.html

I like the concept of illuminated blue ring!!! Sounds awesome.. do you know the model or the brand???
Have a look on here...

http://www.legrand.com.au/products/swit ... -switches/

Hurrow
Ashik_09

You pretty much need an electrician who is willing to do the extra stuff for you and a site supervisor who is ok to turn a blind eye to it. And be around at the right time to talk to the electrician about doing it.

Given the mixed reports of communication styles of site supervisors on here from returning phone calls twenty minutes later to two weeks later it's a gamble as to whether it would work out for you or not.
Our site supervisor was not open to any oitside work prior to handover.

In the end I just didn't even bother asking.

PD are totally inflexable i wanted a powerpiont on the back side of another one which is the most simple job you could ever do pre plaster and was told no electrical is closed even though I was happy to pay for it.

To give you an idea of how bad they are for my oven which I am installing post handover they gave me a junction box only (which is legal until you connect an oven) When my electrician came he had to run wiring to an isolation switch because if you connect an oven its illegal to do so without an isolation switch.

see more About the hoffman – Building the hoffman
https://hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com/about/
brucefil2011
Hurrow
Ashik_09

PD are totally inflexable i wanted a powerpiont on the back side of another one which is the most simple job you could ever do pre plaster and was told no electrical is closed even though I was happy to pay for it.

To give you an idea of how bad they are for my oven which I am installing post handover they gave me a junction box only (which is legal until you connect an oven) When my electrician came he had to run wiring to an isolation switch because if you connect an oven its illegal to do so without an isolation switch.

Oh wow.... I have a couple of speaker wires I want to run...might have to do it in the middle of the night and hope it doesn’t disappear lol
shane3340
brucefil2011
Hurrow
[quote="Ashik_09"]That kind of sounds like what everyone is doing..

Oh wow.... I have a couple of speaker wires I want to run...might have to do it in the middle of the night and hope it doesn’t disappear lol[/quote]Day before plastering

Given it’s In the alfresco I could just remove the Color bond as a backup I suppose.... but yeah, I’ll try my luck that way I can get it over to the family room
Has anyone had Laminex colourtech (2 PAC) cabinets installed in a satin finish with a shaker or similar profile in a colour other than white?

Getting told that Laminex can't do a pearl grey colour in a satin finish with the shaker profile given the satin paint is a lot thinner than other finishes and the colour is too dark and shows up badly.

Seems strange as I'm sure I've seen similar stuff in PD displays.
Dani_J
Has anyone had Laminex colourtech (2 PAC) cabinets installed in a satin finish with a shaker or similar profile in a colour other than white?

Getting told that Laminex can't do a pearl grey colour in a satin finish with the shaker profile given the satin paint is a lot thinner than other finishes and the colour is too dark and shows up badly.

Seems strange as I'm sure I've seen similar stuff in PD displays.

I’m pretty sure this is what we have.

Waldorf_Grange_Build

That looks like pearl grey in a colonial profile which is the same as the greenvale display, right? Don’t know why there would be any difference to this and the shaker profile. Lovely cabinets by the way!
Dani_J
Waldorf_Grange_Build

That looks like pearl grey in a colonial profile which is the same as the greenvale display, right? Don’t know why there would be any difference to this and the shaker profile. Lovely cabinets by the way!

Not the best lighting but ours are also pearl grey in satin finish.

Dani_J
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Here's the brochure http://www.laminex.com.au/uploads/broch ... ochure.pdf

The Pearl Grey is in their extended range, read all the fine print on the bottom of the pages. We got same as Greenvale display. Can't see why they could do in Colonial but not Shaker?
nikil

Not the best lighting but ours are also pearl grey in satin finish.

Thanks Nikil. Looks like you and WGB have the same lovely cabinets!

Waldorf_Grange_Build
Dani_J
Waldorf_Grange_Build

The Pearl Grey is in their extended range, read all the fine print on the bottom of the pages. We got same as Greenvale display. Can't see why they could do in Colonial but not Shaker?

Actually I see now they have a page for Satin door profiles and a page for Textured door profiles and a lot more profiles are available in Textured than Satin.

Waldorf_Grange_Build

Yep that’s right. I thought there might be an issue with only getting a few cabinets in that colour as per the fine print.

The new brochure does suggest shaker only comes in a textured finish but they are definitely doing the polar white for me in satin.

shane3340
Given it’s In the alfresco I could just remove the Color bond as a backup I suppose.... but yeah, I’ll try my luck that way I can get it over to the family room
What house are you building? I know with ours we can get into the ceiling space over the alfresco - that's how I'll do my audio and security camera wiring after handover

Drew01
shane3340
What house are you building? I know with ours we can get into the ceiling space over the alfresco - that's how I'll do my audio and security camera wiring after handover

Yeah that’s my backup plan, I’ll just take off the colorbond
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum