Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with Clarendon??

Page 829 of 929
wingzee
Just signed our tender right on presentation day on Thurs! We are building a Oceanside 36 with Sapphire Plus inclusions. All-in with site costs is about $546K, including large provisions for electrical, colors, stairs, driveway, kitchen etc of $57k and site costs of $34k - our Kellyville land is on a sloped contour hence requires drop edge beams at the front plus with saline conditions but thankfully the soil type is H1 which is included in the Plus package, this also includes the 4000L slimline water tank for BASIX and rainwater garden requirements, part of the S88 B instrument.

Next step will be contract expected to be 1st week of Feb. Nothing major - happy with the tender presenter which provided a manager's discount and some freebies (we didn't qualify for Smart Build due to extensions of structure and addition of a shower in the bathroom downstairs) and provided some useful advice to remove or amend of the items included in our Initial Quote which is cheaper and provides the same functional/cosmetic purposes.

Just fyi Color Studio shall be closed for renovation and re-opening in mid Jan with new 2017 type of inclusions and selections.

Following your progress wingzee. We also have a sloped block so keen to see your solutions!

Bricks!!!

Hi all. Question for those who have completed their brickwork please.

Our bricks have just been put up however when I walked through the inside of the house in some places I can see little pinpricks of light shining through the mortar.

Its hard to see it from the outside in direct sunlight though.

The interior mortar work looks quite rough and nowhere near as 'pretty' as the exterior mortar work.

So is this normal? Do they do the mortar work twice? Should they fix it now?

Please help!!

adamsmithers55
Bricks!!!

Our bricks have just been put up however when I walked through the inside of the house in some places I can see little pinpricks of light shining through the mortar.

The interior mortar work looks quite rough and nowhere near as 'pretty' as the exterior mortar work.

Please help!!

I looked at ours yesterday as theyve done the ground floor bricks and yes the interior mortar looks **** on mine too. However I am not too fussed as it will be covered by insulation and plaster.

adamsmithers55
Following your progress wingzee. We also have a sloped block so keen to see your solutions!

Hi Adam,

Where are you building? Our site has close to 1.8m fall from back to front from the contour survey (didn't look that bad in our eyes when we bought the land though!) hence bulk of the site costs goes to the additional cut & fill, soil removal and the additional piering/concrete grade required for the saline soil conditions.

Drop edge beams required at the front (entrance/porch) is at 710mm.

Will try to update as often as possible. This forum has been nothing really helpful to us.
Hi all,

I also have a query regarding bricks. I have attached the pic, if you look on the right hand side there are a few bricks that looks like washed out or different in colour. Is that normal? When they wash it with acid does it make it look like the other bricks? I have wilderness blackberry bricks.

Thanks,
K.

k3nnis
Hi all,

I also have a query regarding bricks. I have attached the pic, if you look on the right hand side there are a few bricks that looks like washed out or different in colour. Is that normal? When they wash it with acid does it make it look like the other bricks? I have wilderness blackberry bricks.

Thanks,
K.

It looks like the brick layer has layed the brick backwards. The slurry face brick is only covered on one side length ways and also on one side. The actual brick clay color is the one your seeing in the two located in the middle.

Just mention it to your supervisor. It's pretty easy to fix later, but better now obviously.

Gambit79
adamsmithers55
Bricks!!!

Please help!!

I looked at ours yesterday as theyve done the ground floor bricks and yes the interior mortar looks **** on mine too. However I am not too fussed as it will be covered by insulation and plaster.

Thanks Gambit79

Question please: What do you mean a layer of plaster? Do they plaster the interior of the bricks before they do the insulation?

k3nnis
Hi all,

Thanks,
K.

Hey k3nnis do you have a photo of the interior of your brickwork?

wingzee
adamsmithers55

Hi Adam,

Where are you building? Our site has close to 1.8m fall from back to front from the contour survey (didn't look that bad in our eyes when we bought the land though!) hence bulk of the site costs goes to the additional cut & fill, soil removal and the additional piering/concrete grade required for the saline soil conditions.

Drop edge beams required at the front (entrance/porch) is at 710mm.

Will try to update as often as possible. This forum has been nothing really helpful to us.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for us too.

We're building in the Hurstville area and our slope is the same...except front to back! Site costs also added up quickly for us as we needed charged pipes and stormwater detention.

Good luck on your journey

adamsmithers55
Gambit79
adamsmithers55
Bricks!!!

Please help!!

Thanks Gambit79

Question please: What do you mean a layer of plaster? Do they plaster the interior of the bricks before they do the insulation?

No I mean the insulation will go between the bricks and the plaster, as you frame is there and the plaster goes on the frame. So you won't see it. I would be concerned if you can see holes in the mortar though.

adamsmithers55
k3nnis
Hi all,

Thanks,
K.

Hey k3nnis do you have a photo of the interior of your brickwork?

Hi,

This is the interior but not at the exact location but also have the same issue. Picture a bit dark though.

When you say easy fix what do they do? They don't need to take all the bricks out do they?

SteveMc
k3nnis
Hi all,

Thanks,
K.

It looks like the brick layer has layed the brick backwards. The slurry face brick is only covered on one side length ways and also on one side. The actual brick clay color is the one your seeing in the two located in the middle.

Just mention it to your supervisor. It's pretty easy to fix later, but better now obviously.

Thanks. How do they fix it later? They don't remove all the bricks do they lol

k3nnis

Thanks. How do they fix it later? They don't remove all the bricks do they lol

They just cut them out with a grinder and then set them back in.
Oh ok thanks

bumblebee1985
We've been told we went well under the 80lm piering allowance in our tender but never got any money credited back to us...has anyone gone under and had money credited?

viewtopic.php?t=83651

Building a modified Sheridan 35

It's Better if they fix them now. If they do them later more than likely they will have variation in mortar colour.

Or do you guys think it's dirt?

Does anyone know,how long does it take for CDC approval?
went35

Mine was around 2-3 weeks.
went35

With campbelltown council it took us 8 weeks

went35

mine took 5 weeks but that's only because they came back asking to change the window sizes slightly.
otherwise it's generally faster.
Related
8/05/2024
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

It is Genneral stairs, but they won't deal with anyone off the street. They will only work with clients of project home builders. I tried to but some of these exact…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum