Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 818 of 862
brucefil2011
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Opinions please. Does the study window look too low?

Here are the drawings

And here is the pic I took of the display home

Looking at the drawings it looks correct

Okay here it is next to another customer with same house. Our windows would have had the same windows bars but our council didn’t allow them. But the position should be the same. They have gap underneath and we don’t.

Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Here are the drawings

Okay here it is next to another customer with same house. Our windows would have had the same windows bars but our council didn’t allow them. But the position should be the same. They have gap underneath and we don’t.

Your window head height specification will tell the story. Looking at the outside from the ground can be deceiving.

Ours are;

Ground 2,162mm above floor level
First floor 5,064mm above floor level.

Our ground floor ceiling height is 2,740.
First floor is 2,590

Your plans will tell you in the sidenote. Elevation A/B page

Mondeo
Waldorf_Grange_Build
brucefil2011

Your window head height specification will tell the story. Looking at the outside from the ground can be deceiving.

Ours are;

First floor is 2,590

Okay I found a note on the Elevation C/D page.
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Here are the drawings

That's definitely doesn't look right to me. That window looks about 200mm lower than the top of the front door frame/moulding. Your plans have them lining up.

EDIT: Actually using a ruler on my computer monitor on your plans, your window moulding is actually meant to be slightly higher than your front door. It definitely looks lower in the pictures.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Mondeo
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="brucefil2011"]Looking at the drawings it looks correct

Ours are;

First floor is 2,590

[/quote]Did you measure from inside if that is the case here? Yes I have the same note in my drawings. Funny that doesnt change if you have high ceilings.

KushD
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Mondeo
[quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"][quote="brucefil2011"]Looking at the drawings it looks correct

Ours are;

First floor is 2,590

[/quote]Did you measure from inside if that is the case here? Yes I have the same note in my drawings. Funny that doesnt change if you have high ceilings.

[/quote]

Yes we just went out to the house this morning and measured the window inside from floor and it was only about 10mm too low. Our site supervisor was there and we talked it through. It could probably be an error with the site cut initially. Our supervisor is going to chat with his manager at the house on Monday. If we dig away any of the dirt under the window we expose the concrete slab.

Waldorf_Grange_Build
Yes we just went out to the house this morning and measured the window inside from floor and it was only about 10mm too low. Our site supervisor was there and we talked it through. It could probably be an error with the site cut initially. Our supervisor is going to chat with his manager at the house on Monday. If we dig away any of the dirt under the window we expose the concrete slab.

Hmm so does mean that the drawing for the external elevations on your plans may not be exactly what you get, and that they will just go off the measurements of the internals?

Drawing a straight line from the top of the mouldings on your two front windows actually shows them higher than the moulding of your front door, though the pictures you show look like the windows are lower. Perhaps it's just the angle on the photo playing tricks on my eyes.

lilbza
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Hmm so does mean that the drawing for the external elevations on your plans may not be exactly what you get, and that they will just go off the measurements of the internals?

Drawing a straight line from the top of the mouldings on your two front windows actually shows them higher than the moulding of your front door, though the pictures you show look like the windows are lower. Perhaps it's just the angle on the photo playing tricks on my eyes.

Here’s another pic I took this morning. The door is definitely higher than both the windows.

Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Here’s another pic I took this morning. The door is definitely higher than both the windows.

Yes theres definatly a big difference there.

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Plan might be with a standard 2040mm door. Are you running a 2340mm entry door?

Whist snooping around our house the other night, I realised our downpipes were painted and chipped a lot. We paid to have colourbond downpipes so this has obviously been overlooked somewhere along the track. Waiting for our SS to get back to me as he never answers his phone! Hoping to get a date for PCI soon.

Mondeo
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Ah yes this very well could be the reason. We have gone the same size doors as yours WGB, and it looks like on our plans our front doors are higher than the windows. Perhaps your original plans were never updated to include the 2340mm doors.

lilbza
Mondeo
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Ah yes this very well could be the reason. We have gone the same size doors as yours WGB, and it looks like on our plans our front doors are higher than the windows. Perhaps your original plans were never updated to include the 2340mm doors.

Yes we do have 2340mm doors. So if the window is the right height where is the rest of my render that is meant to be underneath? Something still not right.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza
Mondeo
[quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"]

Yes we do have 2340mm doors. So if the window is the right height where is the rest of my render that is meant to be underneath? Something still not right.[/quote]Looking at the photo, it appears the slab hasn't been poured well. It's not uncommon for this to occur at the bottom. The missing pieces need to be filled with concrete then rendered, otherwise the amount of dirt required to cover it will leave you with a rather small window ledge.

Mondeo
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza

Yes we do have 2340mm doors. So if the window is the right height where is the rest of my render that is meant to be underneath? Something still not right.

Looking at the photo, it appears the slab hasn't been poured well. It's not uncommon for this to occur at the bottom. The missing pieces need to be filled with concrete then rendered, otherwise the amount of dirt required to cover it will leave you with a rather small window ledge.

I'm hoping they can come up with a workaround with concrete and render as I really don't want my window ledge in the garden bed.
inexp_user
inphaze
P.S.

Any chance you could share to Alternative solution.
We have been very curious to know what it covers, or doesn't cover.
We were after this from our BC, when she came back with the news that they have changed, however I'm now not sure if she is correct or your BC is correct?

Has it changed in your contract or does it still state 'Alternative solution'? If so, you may want a building variation raised to state they no longer use the alternative solution and will be building to Australian standards.

Hi inexp_user

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I have just signed a Building Variation today stating that they will complete by waterproofing to Australian Standard AS 3740-2010

No chance for them to weasel out of correctly waterproofong our house now.
In other news .......

We finally had our file handed over to the construction team today

We have site scrape on Thursday 15th and slab pour on Wednesday 28th, Weather permitting.

YAY!!!
inphaze
inexp_user
inphaze
P.S.

We were after this from our BC, when she came back with the news that they have changed, however I'm now not sure if she is correct or your BC is correct?

Has it changed in your contract or does it still state 'Alternative solution'? If so, you may want a building variation raised to state they no longer use the alternative solution and will be building to Australian standards.

Hi inexp_user

I have just signed a Building Variation today stating that they will complete by waterproofing to Australian Standard AS 3740-2010

Our site supervisor told us today that PD are actually doing away with the alternative solution. However he didn't use that method with our build anyway, even though our contract said they would https://waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.co ... rproofing/
inphaze
In other news .......

We finally had our file handed over to the construction team today

We have site scrape on Thursday 15th and slab pour on Wednesday 28th, Weather permitting.

YAY!!!
Great news inphaze, congratulations!

Waldorf_Grange_Build
inphaze
inexp_user
[quote="inphaze"]P.S.

Hi inexp_user

Our site supervisor told us today that PD are actually doing away with the alternative solution. However he didn't use that method with our build anyway, even though our contract said they would https://waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.co ... rproofing/[/quote]

Can anyone confirm if there is waterproofing (if any) that is done in your powder rooms and other wet areas on your ground floor?

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum