Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 816 of 862
Fongeo
inphaze
We have a bathroom and 3x Ensuites which include 4 x showers and 2 baths, therefore 6x niches in total. We were charged for all 6 of them. We had our contract meeting in November.

We are building an Advantage range house, it might be different when you build a Prestige, perhaps they are included in the base price.

However, I would imagine that you would still be charged for a ledge. We have 2 in our house design and they charged us handsomely for the privilege.

They are charging for the ledge. 232 for plaster and 600 for the stone. The stone would be confirmed at tender.

On a different note how different were your costs at tender as compared to the quote that you received.

Then we got to tender we found the costs were close to what we had been quoted by our Sales Consultant.

However, our tender was a couple months after we had been handed onto our BC. We had researched a number of things and wanted them included in our tender, unfortunately our BC didn't add anything additional we had asked for so those items were not present during our tender appointment.

This meant that we had to go back for a second tender while our tender presenter found out the costs for all the extra structural changes we wanted done.

We did a lot of research on PD pricing and found out costs for as many items as we could, which meant that we were well prepared for their costs at tender. The only thing that caught us out was the Slab. Apparently we have problematic soil in our lot, so they upgraded our Slab to a P-H2 which added more to the tender price than we expected.

Other than that, we went home feeling confident that we had all the structure sorted and knew what we had left in our budget for the WOS upgraded.

I might add, that our research into PD pricing did show up the fact that our sales consultant didn't know exactly how much to include for our WOS upgrades. He was almost spot on with the structural, but a mile off with all the frilly stuff that WOS sell you.

Example being ...... He included $5K allowance for electrical (we spent $20), he included $4K allowance for colourtec to kitchen, Galley, Laundry and 4x bathrooms (cost was actually $18K)

So my advice would be to trust your sales consultant for things like shifting walls and adding in extra doors and windows or niches into bathrooms. However they are not very accurate when it comes to Colourtec, tapwear, electrical requirements, etc.

Hope this helps
inphaze
Fongeo
inphaze
We have a bathroom and 3x Ensuites which include 4 x showers and 2 baths, therefore 6x niches in total. We were charged for all 6 of them. We had our contract meeting in November.

We are building an Advantage range house, it might be different when you build a Prestige, perhaps they are included in the base price.

However, I would imagine that you would still be charged for a ledge. We have 2 in our house design and they charged us handsomely for the privilege.

They are charging for the ledge. 232 for plaster and 600 for the stone. The stone would be confirmed at tender.

On a different note how different were your costs at tender as compared to the quote that you received.

Then we got to tender we found the costs were close to what we had been quoted by our Sales Consultant.

However, our tender was a couple months after we had been handed onto our BC. We had researched a number of things and wanted them included in our tender, unfortunately our BC didn't add anything additional we had asked for so those items were not present during our tender appointment.

This meant that we had to go back for a second tender while our tender presenter found out the costs for all the extra structural changes we wanted done.

We did a lot of research on PD pricing and found out costs for as many items as we could, which meant that we were well prepared for their costs at tender. The only thing that caught us out was the Slab. Apparently we have problematic soil in our lot, so they upgraded our Slab to a P-H2 which added more to the tender price than we expected.

Other than that, we went home feeling confident that we had all the structure sorted and knew what we had left in our budget for the WOS upgraded.

I might add, that our research into PD pricing did show up the fact that our sales consultant didn't know exactly how much to include for our WOS upgrades. He was almost spot on with the structural, but a mile off with all the frilly stuff that WOS sell you.

Example being ...... He included $5K allowance for electrical (we spent $20), he included $4K allowance for colourtec to kitchen, Galley, Laundry and 4x bathrooms (cost was actually $18K)

So my advice would be to trust your sales consultant for things like shifting walls and adding in extra doors and windows or niches into bathrooms. However they are not very accurate when it comes to Colourtec, tapwear, electrical requirements, etc.

Hope this helps

Awesome thanks. I have already costed a fair bit for electrical and colortech. We are doing colortech only in the galley and kitchen. The cost of the kitchen and galley display home in upper point Cook with shaker profile according to my SC was 8500, so she is confident that we will be good with 10,000 allowance since we are taking the plain white ones.

Since mine is a double storey I have to do a fair bit of electrical and theatre room wiring.

inphaze
Fongeo
inphaze

Hope this helps
Im sure your sales consultant knew the electrical costs and used the 5k allowance to make the price look lower. No one would spend less than 10k on electrical. Probably closer to 20k

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
Fongeo
inphaze

Hope this helps

Awesome thanks. I have already costed a fair bit for electrical and colortech. We are doing colortech only in the galley and kitchen. The cost of the kitchen and galley display home in upper point Cook with shaker profile according to my SC was 8500, so she is confident that we will be good with 10,000 allowance since we are taking the plain white ones.

Since mine is a double storey I have to do a fair bit of electrical and theatre room wiring.

Sounds like you have a very good SC, ours was over worked and had too many clients on the go at the same time.

Your Colourtec allowance sound pretty accurate. Our Kitchen and Galley as about $8,500. We did Shaker profile like you. Our kitchen has quite a lot of cabinetry, so should be similar to your Astor Grange.

If you're interested my wife did a blog on our Colourtec, our kitchen plans are at the end
Check it our here: https://forsyth35blog.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/colour-tech-colourtec-two-pac/

We are building a 38 Square double story and our electrical cost us $20K without going too over the top. Theatre Wiring, speaker pre-wiring in ofter rooms, TV distribution and Cat 6 network cabling on top of increasing the number of power outlets in every room and LED downlights soon add up
brucefil2011
inphaze

Hope this helps

Im sure your sales consultant knew the electrical costs and used the 5k allowance to make the price look lower. No one would spend less than 10k on electrical. Probably closer to 20k

see more at

I agree 100% Bruce, if our Sales Consultant had given us accurate pricing from day 1 we probably would have thought twice about making the decision to build. However, I do feel let down that we were not given a more accurate impression of what it would cost to build our true "Dream House".
To build the house even half way close to our dream home it has cost us more than $170K over the base price.
inphaze
brucefil2011
inphaze

Hope this helps

see more at

I agree 100% Bruce, if our Sales Consultant had given us accurate pricing from day 1 we probably would have thought twice about making the decision to build. However, I do feel let down that we were not given a more accurate impression of what it would cost to build our true "Dream House".
To build the house even half way close to our dream home it has cost us more than $170K over the base price.
Dependeng on your situation you shoudnt be scared doing things post handover.

4 examples from our build.

1. Credit for flooring $5k.
Cost to upgrade to engineered timber and deceint carpet $9k.
Cost post hanover for solid spotted gum sanded and polished plus carpet $4k = total saving $10k.

2. Upgrade to fisher and pikel induction 600mm $3k Credit for fisher and pikel cooktop $600, BOSCH induction top 900mm post handover 1100 for top plus 120 install
Total saving $2.2k

3. Front door upgrade to 1200 wide pivot door 4.5-5k.
Purchase door post handover and get carpenter to install 2k
3k saving.

4. Curtains through bink $18k
Curtains through local company installed $4k
14k saving.

Nothing wrong with quality inclusions dont get too involved ive got cat 4 as its better than cat 3 senario.

Check out our beautiful minimal house that is nearly finished with very few expensive upgrades. Most tiles, stone and finishes were quality inclusions.

see more at
inphaze
Fongeo
inphaze

Hope this helps

Sounds like you have a very good SC, ours was over worked and had too many clients on the go at the same time.

Your Colourtec allowance sound pretty accurate. Our Kitchen and Galley as about $8,500. We did Shaker profile like you. Our kitchen has quite a lot of cabinetry, so should be similar to your Astor Grange.

If you're interested my wife did a blog on our Colourtec, our kitchen plans are at the end
Check it our here: https://forsyth35blog.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/colour-tech-colourtec-two-pac/

We are building a 38 Square double story and our electrical cost us $20K without going too over the top. Theatre Wiring, speaker pre-wiring in ofter rooms, TV distribution and Cat 6 network cabling on top of increasing the number of power outlets in every room and LED downlights soon add up

I have estimated 18000 for electrical. Leave batons everywhere and change it later.

G

Fongeo
inphaze
Fongeo
[quote="inphaze"]Then we got to tender we found the costs were close to what we had been quoted by our Sales Consultant.

Hope this helps

I have estimated 18000 for electrical. Leave batons everywhere and change it later.

G

[/quote]That what we did. We spent $10k on electrical and will spend another $2k post handover to change over to downlights.

I can't justify $140+ for a downlight. From memory we have approximately 65 of them. I know the electrician doesn't pocket that margin.

brucefil2011
inphaze
Fongeo
[quote="inphaze"]We have a bathroom and 3x Ensuites which include 4 x showers and 2 baths, therefore 6x niches in total. We were charged for all 6 of them. We had our contract meeting in November.

Hope this helps

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com[/quote]

I agree with this. Our sales consultant was pretty much spot on. If he’s unsure, he would ask the estimating department about it. He said other consultants will downplay the price so you’ll think the overall price is not that high.

In saying this, our consultant underestimated the site cost by 2k. We asked him about it after our tender and he was able to speak to the estimating to confirm. The estimating dept then confirmed that a couple of things were not actually required and took 2k off
which they deducted in our contract.

brucefil2011

4 examples from our build...

That sounds like a great idea to do flooring, etc. but I am wondering if one would get signoff from council. Would they be happy to sign-off if you don't have carpets and flooring?
Or should I try to get the flooring and other stuff I would like to do myself after Porter Davis has done their build and then only get council in so I can get sign-off and start to live in the house and how does this affect Porter Davis in terms of getting paid?
Would this complicate the finance as the bank would want to see the contract but if flooring is done separately then would I have to do a separate loan showing the quotes for it?
Lastly what realistically could be done afterwards? I would be happy to take over after lockup but I don't think Porter Davis would do it.

Sorry for the noob questions.
There was a post somewhere here for managing the upgrades by maintaining a spreadsheet. Can you please point me to the same. Thanks.

G
Fongeo
There was a post somewhere here for managing the upgrades by maintaining a spreadsheet. Can you please point me to the same. Thanks.

G

Hi

I think you may be referring to my post about my blog link on budgeting and the spreadsheet I did up listing all the costs.

If you are, then here is the link
https://forsyth35blog.wordpress.com/201 ... /#more-430

And if you want to PM me I will send you a copy of the spreadsheet so you can use it for your home build and have an idea of pricing.

Cheers C
biglebowsky
Would they be happy to sign-off if you don't have carpets and flooring?

Floor coverings are only required in wet areas, i.e. bathrooms and laundry for certificate of occupancy.

You're bank may have a view, but the builder shouldn't care

biglebowsky
brucefil2011

4 examples from our build...

That sounds like a great idea to do flooring, etc. but I am wondering if one would get signoff from council. Would they be happy to sign-off if you don't have carpets and flooring?
Or should I try to get the flooring and other stuff I would like to do myself after Porter Davis has done their build and then only get council in so I can get sign-off and start to live in the house and how does this affect Porter Davis in terms of getting paid?
Would this complicate the finance as the bank would want to see the contract but if flooring is done separately then would I have to do a separate loan showing the quotes for it?
Lastly what realistically could be done afterwards? I would be happy to take over after lockup but I don't think Porter Davis would do it.

Sorry for the noob questions.
Im doing all these things its not just theory. And porter davis have agreed to everything. They cant stop you.

Im fortunate that im paying cash for everything so it depends how you deal with your bank. Thats why i mention it depends on your situation.

see more at
brucefil2011
Im doing all these things its not just theory. And porter davis have agreed to everything. They cant stop you.

Im fortunate that im paying cash for everything so it depends how you deal with your bank. Thats why i mention it depends on your situation.

see more at

Did PD make you put the final payment into a trust account from the offset? We're paying cash as well and they made us do that, although admittedly the interest rate is actually far better than what you can get elsewhere anyway.
Hurrow
brucefil2011

see more at

Did PD make you put the final payment into a trust account from the offset? We're paying cash as well and they made us do that, although admittedly the interest rate is actually far better than what you can get elsewhere anyway.
No i just had to supply a letter with my banks letterhead showing i had the cash in an account and send an email stating I had the means to pay for the house.

see more at
brucefil2011
Hurrow

No i just had to supply a letter with my banks letterhead showing i had the cash in an account and send an email stating I had the means to pay for the house.

see more at

We had to do the same as Bruce. Just a letter from the bank.
Charly6s
brucefil2011
Hurrow

see more at

We had to do the same as Bruce. Just a letter from the bank.

Hmm. We had some of our money to pay for the house in shares at the time (with a very large margin of safety) but most of it in cash and they made us do put the last payment in a trust account. Which has worked out fine so far but might have been very interesting if something happened to PD before they finished building our house.
Charly6s
Fongeo
Hi,

We are looking at building the Astor 49 with Porter Davis. It is a pretty new plan and not sure if anyone is building it in this forum. We had asked for a few changes in our ground floor and thought will share this with the wider community to get some feedback.

We have removed the lounge and made it into a guest bed and made the study smaller.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

G

Hi G

It's a great plan, I like your changes to the guest suite.
Had you thought about adding a window to your galley, lets in light and out the smell of burnt toast.
Also changing the window in front of the kitchen sink to a bi-fold so that you can create a servery?
I personally like my pantry to have a door on it, that way it stays dark and cool.
Also, don't forget to put a nech in the shower, it doesn't cost that much and looks so much better.
Lastly, get a costing to upgrade the hight and width of your alfresco doors, if you keep the standard style (not boutique) and just get it taller (2250mm) and wider it doesn't cost that much more,
also, ask for fly screens on the alfresco doors, they are surprised cheep through PD.

So much you can spend extra money on! If you get it put on the plan and into the quote now, you can always take it out later at no charge.

All the best.
C.

Checked with my SC on the fly screen and this is what she has come back with

"Unfortunately we don’t offer flyscreens to sliding doors, however if you contact A&L after handover they can have this installed for you"
Who got ugly guttering like this.

I know its very neccesary but its ugly. Its a shame because the rest of the facade looks fantastic.

see more at
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum