Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hamptons inspired architect design with attached granny flat

Page 9 of 13
Hi Macher, it’s a replica Moooi Heracleum. We got it from here, but a few other places sell similar too. https://www.replicalights.com.au/moooi- ... ion-light/
So some of you may have noticed that I bang on about passive solar and orientation a fair bit, in this thread and others. Have a look at the two comparison photos of our north facing living area below. Both were taken at 11am on a sunny day.

This first pic was taken mid-winter-ish (July 25, I’ve posted it before). The shadow with the spots of light coming through is scaffolding which has since been removed. Note how the sun comes in nicely to warm up the room.

The next was taken today (Oct 25), and already the path of the sun has changed such that it does not come into through the glass doors, so keeping the heat out of the room. It was 31c outside at the time, but wonderfully cool in the house.

Orientation and passive solar for energy efficiency is something that has been very much considered in this house design, and it’s really quite exciting to see it work in real life.

Our solid core internal doors have been prepped. I forget what the technical term is where they cut out where the hinges and jambs go
. A couple of the doors have to be replaced as they were delivered with scratches and dents

Also wet areas have been waterproofed and mesh laid down for the underfloor heating.

Upper half of stairwell has been painted (didn’t get a pic) as stairs are going in next week. Painters have also prepped the panelled ceilings ready for painting this week.

OMG! Your build is absolutely stunning! I'm really looking forward to following the rest, good luck
ST-Hardy
OMG! Your build is absolutely stunning! I'm really looking forward to following the rest, good luck

Thanks
. It’s been a long process!
Hillsbuilds

Your home is looking amazing! May I know how far is your pool to your house slab? We are planning to build a pool after hand over but worried that we may need a slab protection. Pool distance is 2 metres from the house slab.
Hi Melbournevic, thank you
!

The house surrounds the pool on three sides. The pool was dug and concreted before the house slab was poured, and this included a 1m circumference of concrete around the pool. The house slab was then poured and it goes right up against the edge of this circumference of concrete, and that’s where the walls of the house sit as well. So the distance from house slab to pool is 1m

I’ve attached a photo below, the pool itself is under the boards.

Hillsbuilds
Hi Melbournevic, thank you
!

The house surrounds the pool on three sides. The pool was dug and concreted before the house slab was poured, and this included a 1m circumference of concrete around the pool. The house slab was then poured and it goes right up against the edge of this circumference of concrete, and that’s where the walls of the house sit as well. So the distance from house slab to pool is 1m

I’ve attached a photo below, the pool itself is under the boards.

That's awesome! You have a very good view of the pool from inside the house. Looking forward to see it!
Glass corridor finally complete. The secondary panels have been in for a while but the opening panels had to be taken away for reworking,

I’ve just recently learnt that this is called a breezeway!

These couple of weeks seem to be all about doors. The 3 x Guardian 2-in-1 were delivered today (granny flat back door, main house laundry and ground floor bathroom external door). Main front door and granny flat front door to be delivered tomorrow. Internal doors being prepped.

Painters and plumbers were also on site when I visited today. Painters were painting the living area raked ceiling and plumbers were...plumbing...

I love your breezeway!

What a beautiful asset the breezeway is!
Not much happening, except more door work with Internals being hung.

Front doors (main house with sidelightsx2 and granny flat)

Guardian2-in-1s

Have to decide on door furniture for these now.

Also, underfloor heating

Stairs going in Monday, at least that only takes a day apparently.

Looking great! Have you done underfloor heating throughout? We are still deciding...
Looking great! Have you done underfloor heating throughout? We are still deciding...
gogo65

No, just in the bathrooms and laundry (which, along with a ceiling hung clothes airer, will double as a drying room on wet winter days!).
Stairs installed on Monday. They feel wonderfully wide to me, and when I got back home I realised why - our current stairs are 80cm wide, whereas these are 1.2m!

The treads, landing, newel top and handrails are spotted gum, and will be stained to bring out the natural warmth and colour. Everything else will be painted white.

Also had a proper look at the cavity sliders. When fully opened they sit flush with the doorframes. I was wondering how to pull the door out of the frame to shut it, and the builder showed me. It’s a push release! And when it shuts fully, it’s also soft close. After all these years of putting up with sliders that don’t open fully and kids slamming them shut! I don’t know if all modern sliders are like this, but I was so excited I videoed it! Unfortunately I dont seem to be able to load it on Tapatalk.

The stairs look great! We went with 1200 wide for our staircase as well, and it feels very generous.

Joinery delivered. Lots of joinery.

To be installed over the next 3 weeks.

Tilers were also onsite levelling the wet areas.

Good to see it all coming along well - I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product given the interesting plan you have!
Related
29/03/2024
Project home builder with attached granny flat

Building A New House

Hi all, Been browsing project builders' website and saw Masterton with attached granny flat design Seeing bad reviews from masterton in this website/facebook, does…

26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum