Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fairhaven Homes

Page 9 of 25
Bronte19. ..3hrs was fast.

What type of doors will be on your new pantry in the old fridge space? How many shelves?
GEOnTREY
Bronte19. ..3hrs was fast.

What type of doors will be on your new pantry in the old fridge space? How many shelves?

Yeah may be because we did not do lot of changes. Pantry will have normal cupboard doors. It will have 4 shelves.

Will be getting electronic contract tomorrow to sign
Reading the HAI contract. Any tips on what I should be looking for?
SIgned the contracts on Friday. Was unable to get doors in WIRs for Bedroom 2, 3 and 4 as opening is 700mm. Fairhaven said we can fit a 620mm ourselves but they wont do it. It was bit disappointing as Sales and Colors did not inform us of this.
The other thing we found out that we will be required to pay $1200 Asset protection fee to the council (includes $1000 refundable bond) for the building permit. We did not plan for this expense but can't do anything about it.
The contract has been sent to the bank by Fairhaven.
Bronte19
SIgned the contracts on Friday. Was unable to get doors in WIRs for Bedroom 2, 3 and 4 as opening is 700mm. Fairhaven said we can fit a 620mm ourselves but they wont do it. It was bit disappointing as Sales and Colors did not inform us of this.
The other thing we found out that we will be required to pay $1200 Asset protection fee to the council (includes $1000 refundable bond) for the building permit. We did not plan for this expense but can't do anything about it.

We are only having a door on bed 1 wir (sliding door). You could have sliding doors on bed 2 3 4 couldn't you?
We know nothing about the Asset protection fee to the council either (bugger).
Sliding door in all bedroom was blowing our budget little bit so left it as is. Asset protection to be paid by the owner is not required by all the councils. Sometimes builder pays for it and add it to your overall cost. Better check with your CRO.
Bronte19

I recently found out about the asset protection fee and was not budgeted for. I was lucky though, since the fee was only $175 (as far as the council has told me).
CalicoCat
Bronte19

I recently found out about the asset protection fee and was not budgeted for. I was lucky though, since the fee was only $175 (as far as the council has told me).

Our fee is $200 but there is refundable bond of $1,000 so total $1200 upfront. You will get $1000 bond back after the construction is complete and the builder has not wrecked any council assets.
Signed the Final plan today. Fairhaven missed couple of things in tender which were picked up in the final check and were added. They were nice enough to add it for free

Now just waiting for Building Permit to be granted.

Geontrey have you had your tender appointment yet?
Bronte19
Signed the Final plan today. Fairhaven missed couple of things in tender which were picked up in the final check and were added. They were nice enough to add it for free

Now just waiting for Building Permit to be granted.

Geontrey have you had your tender appointment yet?

Fantastic...so happy for you Bronte19 😀 Must be a relief to be at that stage now. Oooooh what did you get for free?

We had our tender appointment on Monday. It took all day from 9.30am - 5.50pm. We were exhausted! There were so many mistakes! Just sent an email back now hoping to have everything sorted now.

Cost us another $500 for our white paint totalling $1500. Not impressed with this cost just to have white paint.

We did get a credit for something not expected though. Changed the window in the bed 1 WIR to an awning window thinking we would have to pay extra but it was cheaper!

Still unsure what to do about Darbecca. A lot more expensive than we expected. Was it you who had a quote from them?
Nothing major just couple of things that Fairhaven missed in the contract. They missed handle to WIR door, handle to Pantry door (we relocated pantry to fridge space) and one door and also bulkhead above the kitchen cabinet was not included in the contract.

Whole day at tender must have been tiring! Did you do lots of structural changes to your house?

Yes I got quote from Darbecca, it was around $4.5k for all stages. We decided to not go with them. Have heard good things about Fairhaven Site superviors.
Bronte19
Nothing major just couple of things that Fairhaven missed in the contract. They missed handle to WIR door, handle to Pantry door (we relocated pantry to fridge space) and one door and also bulkhead above the kitchen cabinet was not included in the contract.

Whole day at tender must have been tiring! Did you do lots of structural changes to your house?

Yes I got quote from Darbecca, it was around $4.5k for all stages. We decided to not go with them. Have heard good things about Fairhaven Site superviors.

We created a butlers pantry in the laundry. New laundry where bed 4 was and made the living area bigger by moving the wall into the bed space.
All this was done at sales and very clear drawings provided.
They got so much wrong on the plans it was ridiculous. So many power points, lights and light switches in the wrong spot.
Cabinetry wrong, 2 sinks in wrong cabinets, dishwasher and bins in wrong positions.
We honestly don't know how they got so much so wrong!

We paid the $2000 but now have to wait for all plans to be redone and the tender and colour documents to be redone.
GEOnTREY
Bronte19

We created a butlers pantry in the laundry. New laundry where bed 4 was and made the living area bigger by moving the wall into the bed space.
They got so much wrong on the plans it was ridiculous. So many power points, lights and light switches in the wrong spot.
Cabinetry wrong, 2 sinks in wrong cabinets, dishwasher and bins in wrong positions.

We paid the $2000 but now have to wait for all plans to be redone and the tender and colour documents to be redone.

Whole day Tender was mentally exhausting!

Did you get your contract posted or sent electronically?
GEOnTREY
Bronte19

GEOnTREY

Make sure you check and re check your colour selections and your drawings. Take the time to ensure that your drawings are correct and measurements too. We found quite a few mistakes and kept going back to them until they were all fixed. Our CRO was able to amend everything up until the time a site supervisor took over.
Poniri
We sure will be checking the next set of plans, until we have worn out the print on the paper, after the mess they made of the 1st set.

How are things going for you?

☺
They sent the contract electronically.
Ours was pretty straight forward coz we did not do lot of changes.
I can totally see how things can be missed if you do few structural changes.
We got the building permit yesterday. So hoping the construction should start in 3-4 weeks.
GEOnTREY
Poniri
We sure will be checking the next set of plans, until we have worn out the print on the paper, after the mess they made of the 1st set.

☺

Our frame started to go up on Thursday and they have completed all of downstairs so far. It was exciting to walk through the rooms today and get a feel of what it will be like
Poniri
GEOnTREY
Poniri

☺

Our frame started to go up on Thursday and they have completed all of downstairs so far. It was exciting to walk through the rooms today and get a feel of what it will be like

Wow that's exciting. How long did Fairhaven took to start your build after the building permit was received?
Bronte19
Poniri
GEOnTREY
Poniri

☺

Wow that's exciting. How long did Fairhaven took to start your build after the building permit was received?

Permit was obtained 04/05. Works started on site 18/05, slab poured 29/05. Frame started 28/05.
Bronte19 you guys won’t be too far off either. Did they give you an approximate finish date?
That's not too bad Poniri. I went to have a look at our land today for rubbish, grass etc which will be need to be removed before the construction. To my delight our plot was pretty clean. Just some rubbish from construction on our neighbors plot.

Our CRO told us construction should start end of July and should finish in roughly 4 months time...so let's see.

Our Admin completed last Friday, now waiting for construction team to contact us.
Related
22/11/2023
Reviews on Fairhaven homes

Building A New House

We are looking to do a KDR with fairhaven homes, Have seen plenty of good reviews about them pre construction and plenty of negative reviews about them during contruction…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum