Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build (Armidale): Moved in update

Page 9 of 11
Ok All,
I have wall tiles! Nothing is grouted but he's nearly finished putting them all in and then I assume it will just be GROUT ALL THE THINGS.

Also a bonus picture of the kickboards

Which were put in simply so builder could put the last tiny bits of skirting on before the floor gets finished. These will be removed prior to that happening.

The fencing contractor is on a schedule of about 6-8weeks away but the builder said he would be happy to leave his work fence up for us until he does it. Which is super nice of him.

Carpet guy also called and scheduled for the 4th but then I realised we have to putty and sand and paint all the skirts in there before then so it's probs not a great idea and I called him back to push it to the 12th.

It's all so soon!! It's actually scary, I'm scared at how soon this all is. There still seems like there is so much to do!!!!!
How exciting!
It is! I really like them, pleased with my choice.
Looking great Lucy. Moving so quickly. When does the kitchen go in? What sort of floor are you having?

I think we were going to have those same black floor tile in the bathroom but changed due to unavailability of main floor tile.

Looks like lots of work for you to do.

Wow cool tiling! Where will the subway tiling end? Does it go to the ceiling? Can't wait to see it grouted!
Thanks guys

EmyN, the tiling will be as you see it. It looks a bit weird above the vanity because that's where the mirror will go. There's no way we could have afforded to tile to the ceiling. I can just imagine it all grouted and painted...unfortunately we have to do the painting haha. So how it ultimately looks will be probably hard to see for us. There is definitely something about the 'big reveal' where you can come in from outside and be amazed at the magic painted finish. However, there is also something about being involved in the process and being a part of it that is pretty awesome too.

m-sass, the flooring is polished concrete and it's the only reason that the kitchen isn't in yet. It has to be sealed, then coated two or three times. As soon as it's all finished I imagine the kitchen will go straight in so, early next week.
I don't know about the floor tile, if you look at my earlier piccies, they're definitely straight grey and I think when I looked at your thread your original tile choice had sort of a brown in it? I could be wrong though. They look really dark in the most recent pictures but they are a pretty standard grey tile.

I'm going up to the build this afternoon after work to finalise the particulars of the shower screens. Hopefully there will have been some grouting done by then. Then by the end of the week, concrete photos! Which is probably, personally, my most anticipated reveal.
Oh I see now about the mirror. I think that's the perfect height for subway tiles - to the ceiling would be too much IMO. It looks more beautiful and traditional-detailed this way.

Believe me, even with other people doing the work there is no magical "finished" moment! It all still seems slow and painful with mistakes.
By the time they left today, all the wall tiles at least would have been grouted.
Here is the ensuite

I have also been agonising over paint colours. I think I have decided that we're dong all the trim in dulux vivid white and walls in Lexicon.

However, I didn't want just white, white and more white so I think i'm going to shake things up a bit and do the master bedroom door and linen cupboard doors like this

just to shake things up
but I don't know, I might just sit with the white for a while and then paint later when I can figure out what I want.

Good point about the painting EmyN, at least if anything is wrong it's our own fault and we can just fix it. And yeah, I think there is such a thing as too much subway tile.
Hi All!
Went by today, we were hoping to start filling and sanding the nail holes in the skirts but we couldn't because the concrete guy was finishing up on sealing and polishing the slab. It looks awesome! Such a warm and welcoming colour! I'm feeling more confident about just using white paint.

It's hard to see because the shadows were quite harsh in the midday sun. So it was exciting but I would have liked to start work on some of the stuff we really have to get started on. But I am glad he finished it so it's dry when we go tomorrow to do it. Really feeling the rush now! Only 2 weeks to go and we have to be packed, cleaned and in. Ahhh!
Wow that's come up beautifully. That should heat up nicely in those windows.

I love seeing that wall of light on it from those windows! The floor is so shiny! Beware anyone who wants to wear only socks, that's for sure. We might have sliding sock races down the hallway and I have a feeling there will be a dent in the wall somewhere eventually from the puppy continually crash landing.
Looks fantastic!

Wow looks amazing. Would love to see more photos without the shadows as you say, makes it a bit hard to make out the colour/pattern of it. Cool door idea BTW. Go nuts I say! Hehehe.
More concrete photos for y'all!

The reflection on the wall from the shiny-ness

This is our piece of grass. I love it. Obviously fell on when the slab was setting.

Garage door was installed today, it started raining though so I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

looks amazing congrats
Hello all! I have some bathroom glazing pictures
Main Bath

Ensuite

The steelwork for our stairs and decky bit were delivered.

It's a little bit more heavy duty then we expected but we're not complaining. Definitely solid and the timber will soften it a lot.

It's kind of fun being there every day! What's not fun is how much work sanding is
Seriously, why anyone would be a painter I have no idea. Srsly though, when you have to putty and sand every hole, you start to appreciate how many nails there are in a house!

ps. I almost like the colour of the garage door? thoughts?
The tiling looks great!
That concrete looks amazing!!
Our kitchen cabinets arrived today!
Here are the cabinets

Here is a close up of our awesome corner units.

The first unit comes out

Moves forward

Back unit comes out.

No wasted space and you don't have to get everything at the front of the cabinet out to get the random thing at the back out. Loving it!

We finished all the sanding today so hopefully we can get at least one room painted tomorrow after we prep everything.
Super exciting and great use of space

Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

9/10/2023
No Interim Occupation Certificate - NSW but moved in

General Discussion

Hi Simeon, Thank you for laying it down for us. Makes sense. Appreciate it very much. Have a nice day. Cheers

2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum