Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 798 of 828
There are serious problems with how Wisdom Homes operates. I was given the keys to the property even before an occupation certificate could be issued. The builder declared practical completion some six months after I was given the keys.
CS199
@Funk52 We have 44 weeks as well. How long did it actually take for them to complete the build. Slab went down late July no PCI yet

I had 38 weeks....
Yara
CS199
@Funk52 We have 44 weeks as well. How long did it actually take for them to complete the build. Slab went down late July no PCI yet

I had 38 weeks....

From paying in 2016?
jayasooriah
There are serious problems with how Wisdom Homes operates. I was given the keys to the property even before an occupation certificate could be issued. The builder declared practical completion some six months after I was given the keys.

No idea what to say.....
Yara
Ghandaji
That doesn't sound good at all mate. They could have just called the other company. I hope it's not what happens because of PCI.

Yara
I felt very startled today. We had just completed flooring. I was asked to go in the house to take a look. It felt like I was being reprimanded in an angry tone. For a customer who is paying hundreds of thousands to have what felt like being talked to in such a rude and aggressive manner was just not acceptable. We have a new site supervisor and area manager near the end of the build. We have never been spoken like this from the previous Site supervisor, or anyone from Wisdom. We then had a conversation with the new area manager who said that the staff member was also short with them this morning, and apologised. The excuse was that the new SS was sick and really should not have been at work today.

We were told there was dust inside and it needs to be cleaned. Fair enough. We can raise this with the flooring company, anyone can. But to have it as what felt like a rude reprimand to us personally did not feel like good customer service at all.

This is happening after PCI.

There are a number of things we are waiting on updates for.

[ltr]It has been a while since my last update.

Sorry, this is going to be a long one.

Timeline
- End of December 2016 paid deposit
- Was given representation that February 2020 everything would be ready for us to move in with interim OC.
- This changed to March 2020.
- Then April 2020.

Wisdom had given us representation throughout that there would be no issues to get to interim OC as a builder.
Then we were suddenly told just before PCI, we were suddenly in a strange situation like a number of their other customers and that we needed to now complete landscaping, retaining walls and driveway. (We could have done all this last December 2019).
May 2020 before we took over the site to complete landscaping, we were told that the only things left for Wisdom to complete were painting, the outdoor brick clean, and the final clean after landscaping and we could move in.
We were also given representation that it would take about 1 week for Wisdom to organise all the certificates required for the occupational certificate.
All we have to do is tell them about a week before we finish landscaping so they can organise everything.

Not happy that even though early July we inform them that all the hard landscaping is complete, we are still in a position where they told us the Hydraulics engineer had been sent out and we should be able to get the final hydraulics certificate.

We call the Hydraulics engineer to find out that they have not even been engaged or booked in.
How disappointing.
We take back control of the site. Wisdom was to update us when people would be coming on site to do their certifications. We get no updates, from the same SS that we felt was disrespectful to us. This is the same last minute change of SS when we were told everything was to be ready.

We can see from the outside of the house, that many of the items that Wisdom had provided representation and promised to fix have not been fixed, from the door, to glass, probably even some of the electricals. All of it, which they said was simple to fix. This again, is pretty disappointing.

We then get an update that the same SS who we felt was disrespectful had not been able to attend site last Monday or Tuesday.
They told us we are meant to be the most prioritised because of the extreme lateness of everything.

What is more important, is that we have no updates on what dates this week on when the trades will complete the work that Wisdom had promised would be finished in May (originally February, or what days this week the certifications will complete (since last week we did not receive the final hydraulics certificate)

We heard that other Wisdom builds during their landscaping, have Wisdom trades come in to fix various things, and do certification.

Pretty disappointing to say the least.

In the meantime, on our own to help out Wisdom, we have obtained the retaining wall certification back in June. Driveway, Kerb, Gutter, footpath certification and Arborist certification.

I just hope they can get it all sorted out this week as promised and are not going to waste any more time.

I just have a feeling Wisdom is not trying hard enough to help us as a customer and the level of service has dropped since PCI
[/ltr]

Please keep us posted on how they progress this week. Did they get back to you with the dates trades will complete everything this week?

It sounds like you are almost at the finish line.
Funk52
So last week I finally received approval from Council not to install a front brick fence. Whole process took 3 months. What a sick joke. If the certifier didn't make a fuss about it then I could have avoided this process.

Also submitted the last document the certifier wanted on Friday but I'm still waiting for the interim occupation certificate, 3.5 months since my second PCI.......

Congrats! That's a crazy wait...
Norfolk
@WisdomHomes does your owner Sumitomo Forestry Group condone Wisdom Homes behaviours regarding product and service quality, and fair and honest conduct towards customers? It seems your values are patently inconsistent with theirs; http://sfc.jp/english/corporate/philosophy/

Sumitomo Forestry Group Values:

• We provide high-quality products and services that bring joy to our customers.
  • We create new businesses that lead to happiness for generations to come with a fresh perspective.
  • We promote a free and open-minded corporate culture that respects diversity.
  • We set and strive to achieve ambitious goals through ongoing effort.
  • We do work that wins us the trust of society with fair and honest conduct.

Everyone reading this forum should realise that Norfolk has never had any actual experience building with Wisdom Homes and has taken it upon themselves to act as some sort of masked crusader protecting the apparent vulnerable.

Sure, sharing information is great and welcome but review all the Norfolk posts and you will see that the vast majority of posts are inherently negative.

One wonders what has happened to Norfolk to be so cynical all the time but without any actual knowledge of Wisdom processes. Also keep in mind that most people only raise issues or queries on this forum and not all the good news stories - ie it is unbalanced. Readers risk forming a biased opinion so be aware.

I am not a Wisdom employee but have recently built with them. Handover June 20. Was it smooth and pain free - of course not. Did I get frustrated with progress and issues that arose during the build - yes but they were sorted by standing your ground and not accepting mediocre fixes or short cuts. We’re building a house, not making pancakes.

I am happy with the end result albeit some minor niggles need attention - we have the maintenance period for that. Could it have been quicker - most certainly , but Wisdom are known for that. Quality is what matters in the end and we got there eventually.
Congrats on your hand over in June !!
Norfolk
@liannaz I suggest you forward this link to your site supervisor and Wisdom Homes general manager ; https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/laws-an ... se-4.5.2.3 This details the requirements for the safe and legal installation of LED downlights. To rectify your defect the downlights should be replaced with ‘IC’ ones. This is a quick plug and play job.

Thanks a lot Norfolk, I contacted them to fix it. As we also get lots of main light by batten holder.
malypetu
LiannaZ
Hi All,

I am new here, our home is at last stage with Wisdom Home. We got few questions, it would be great if anyone had similar experience or could kindly advice.

1. Our inspector did PC inspection last week, and noted "Insufficient spacing between insulation and down lights. This poses a fire risk. Request builder to address issue immediately. The minimal clearance of recessed luminaire from insulation is 100mm as per AS3000-2018 4.5.2.3."

I also checked our LED light package, it states "must not be covered by insulation at the back of LED light"

However, my SS argued as " Are you sure that's not LED, if It is LED, this standard does not apply, as LED doesn't produce heat".

Just wondering if anyone get experience, if my inspector too detailed or the job doesn't apply with the standard. In my inspector's word, he got time to replied lots of emails to argue it, he can easily use equivalent time to fix it.

2. Normally how long takes from carpet installed to ACM? We changed our SS at last week of June, and at the last week of June, carpet has been installed. However, so far we haven't done ACM inspection.

From the first week of July, we keep chasing SS/CSR. Our SS blamed ACM (as ACM didn't schedule inspection), then we workaround between SS/CRS/ACM, finally booked it at 17/07/20. Then we followed up today, the response we got it SS cancelled ACM on 17/07, as he did his personal inspection on 15/07, found items to fix, it will be failed if come to ACM inspection. So what really happened since 29/06-15/07. Very interesting time, his personal inspection just happened the same day with our inspector.

We really tried all reasonable actions to follow up, CSR ( almost catch up twice per week), SS ( once every week, every hard to reach. He only reply once, no matter how many times you called him&emailed&SMS), ACM(no response so far). We stuck at here, we really hope it back on track, and doesn't know how to do. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could advice any actions we could do.

Many thanks
Lianna

Hi,
I'm far from being an expert, however, a little search about LED shows this. "Downlights are not all made the same and therefore have varying energy consumption, life span and heat output. Recessed light fittings tend to shed excess heat and should be avoided where possible. It is important that recessed lights and their auxiliary equipment is installed correctly to prevent overheating and igniting any surrounding material." Source: https://pricewiseinsulation.com.au/fire-safety-and-downlights-with-ceiling-insulation/

More references at https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/insulation-installation
In all the articles I have reviewed they do recommend Not to cover LED downlight, both to avoid safety hazards and performance/durability.
I have also read this document (https://lumitex.com.au/can-i-cover-led-downlights-with-insulation/) were it is stated
"Downlights with clear markings and supporting documentation showing “IC-F” or “IC” may be abutted and covered with insulation. However, while the light may be safe to operate when covered, the elevated temperatures resulting from lack of ventilation may in some cases reduce the expected lifetime of the product.
Note that a rating of “CA” on a LED downlight means it can be abutted to insulation, but not covered. This is an important specification not often investigated to the level of detail it deserves."

I hope this helps, it looks in some cases is ok to be abutted but not covered , depending on the downlight type.

Cheers

Hope it helps

Thanks a lot.

Stukip
Norfolk
wisdomHomes does your owner Sumitomo Forestry Group condone Wisdom Homes behaviours regarding product and service quality, and fair and honest conduct towards customers? It seems your values are patently inconsistent with theirs; http://sfc.jp/english/corporate/philosophy/

Sumitomo Forestry Group Values:

• We provide high-quality products and services that bring joy to our customers.
  • We create new businesses that lead to happiness for generations to come with a fresh perspective.
  • We promote a free and open-minded corporate culture that respects diversity.
  • We set and strive to achieve ambitious goals through ongoing effort.
  • We do work that wins us the trust of society with fair and honest conduct.

Everyone reading this forum should realise that Norfolk has never had any actual experience building with Wisdom Homes and has taken it upon themselves to act as some sort of masked crusader protecting the apparent vulnerable.

Sure, sharing information is great and welcome but review all the Norfolk posts and you will see that the vast majority of posts are inherently negative.

One wonders what has happened to Norfolk to be so cynical all the time but without any actual knowledge of Wisdom processes. Also keep in mind that most people only raise issues or queries on this forum and not all the good news stories - ie it is unbalanced. Readers risk forming a biased opinion so be aware.

I am not a Wisdom employee but have recently built with them. Handover June 20. Was it smooth and pain free - of course not. Did I get frustrated with progress and issues that arose during the build - yes but they were sorted by standing your ground and not accepting mediocre fixes or short cuts. We’re building a house, not making pancakes.

I am happy with the end result albeit some minor niggles need attention - we have the maintenance period for that. Could it have been quicker - most certainly , but Wisdom are known for that. Quality is what matters in the end and we got there eventually.

THANK YOU for your post stukip ... i could not agree more. I have been a regular poster and "contributer" since 2017 and have stopped posting ever since Norfolk "infiltrated" this thread. Mind you, the last time i logged in, i saw a post which said he/she was asked to no longer go on this thread. Not sure who asked him/her to, but little did we know, they could not resist and they were back spreading negative vibes. They come across as "helpful" but in a passive aggressive way. It just turns you off from being on here anymore. I feel for those who could genuinely use the help of our regular contributor's and posters. But every time i see Norfolk's post, makes me just want to shake my head and wish wisdomHomes would reply to his incorrect statements. I have had to hold my tongue until now. I do not understand why he/she has such strong negative opinions about Wisdom when they have NEVER built with them. I've no idea. Mind boggling. They built with Metricon and from memory, it wasn't a pleasant experience, yet i don't see them on that thread...

Not all builds are going to be smooth sailing. It's a journey that is going to have it's ups and downs. We used to go on here and give eachother encouragement and spread positive vibes but sadly, all our original posters are gone... what ever the reason may be. But i assure you guys, Wisdom Homes has strengths and weaknesses just like all other builders, but they genuinely care about their clients - from my experience. And for reviews that are verified on Product Review - they are legit because you actually have to present a receipt of proof you have had dealings with Wisdom to be a verified review.

Thanks for pointing it out stukip .. you are spot on. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion - of course, but when you are constantly being negative and come across as resentful, that's another story!
Can’t agree more with ASH1981 and stukip.
Hope to see some old timers again back here. We are near the end and still have questions but doubtful on the actual wisdom built home owners responses with the vibe going on.
Our timeline so far, to give those who are looking to build or just starting the process...

*Home loan pre approval - 20.12.19
*Deposit Hoot Homes - 21.12.19
*Land contract signed/Land deposit - 17.2.20
*Build Contract signed - 28.2.20
*Brick appointment - 22.3.20
*Plans ready for waterboard - 24.3.20
*Selections at Canvas Quarter - 25.3.20-26.3.20
*Electrical variation - 26.3.20
*Landscaping quote - 2.4.20
*Tile variation - 6.4.20
*Kitchen variation - 23.4.20 -Kitchen Finalized - 6.5.20
*Colour variation - 24.4.20
*Land registered - 29.5.20
*Loan approved - 3.6.20
*Plans submitted to waterboard - 3.6.20
*BASIX completed - 12.6.20
*Waterboard variation - 16.6.20
*Waterboard approval - 24.6.20
*Land settlement - 25.6.20
*CDC Pre assessment - 25.6.20
*BASIX variation signed - 10.7.20
*Plans submitted to drafting team - 21.7.20 (approx 10 days)

This is where we are now, our land was due to be registered at the start of February but didn't end up getting registered till May.
Hi Everyone, long time lurker on the thread here and very grateful for the time taken by everyone to update their posts and provide info on the process and particularly the frustrations.

We're doing a knock down rebuild of a Manhattan 36 in Matraville and have been elated and frustrated at times. We've spent about 4 months in admin since our tender presentation and have only recently submitted to council for our DA. Hopefully we can see some light at the end of the tunnel, but it's been a long and sometimes frustrating road. The CQ team have been amazing, especially Belinda.

In advance of our approval, our CS has suggested that we start looking for demolition quotes and I wanted to reach out to see what people's experiences have been in the admittedly niche area.

Wisdom recommend Site Demolitions, and I will be following up with them, but did anyone have other recommendations and particularly things to watch out for? Thanks in advance
kiffoke
Hi Everyone, long time lurker on the thread here and very grateful for the time taken by everyone to update their posts and provide info on the process and particularly the frustrations.

We're doing a knock down rebuild of a Manhattan 36 in Matraville and have been elated and frustrated at times. We've spent about 4 months in admin since our tender presentation and have only recently submitted to council for our DA. Hopefully we can see some light at the end of the tunnel, but it's been a long and sometimes frustrating road. The CQ team have been amazing, especially Belinda.

In advance of our approval, our CS has suggested that we start looking for demolition quotes and I wanted to reach out to see what people's experiences have been in the admittedly niche area.

Wisdom recommend Site Demolitions, and I will be following up with them, but did anyone have other recommendations and particularly things to watch out for? Thanks in advance

Hi Kiffoke, I used Democorp and I was happy with their service. I will advise you get 3-4 quotes and compare before making final decision.
If you have asbestos in the property, make sure it’s all included in the quote and no surprises after demolition.
Femstar
kiffoke

Hi Kiffoke, I used Democorp and I was happy with their service. I will advise you get 3-4 quotes and compare before making final decision.
If you have asbestos in the property, make sure it’s all included in the quote and no surprises after demolition.

Thanks very much - that's a great suggestion and thanks for the recommendation. Was there a lot of variation in the quote amounts or items covered by each demolition company?
kiffoke
Femstar
kiffoke

Thanks very much - that's a great suggestion and thanks for the recommendation. Was there a lot of variation in the quote amounts or items covered by each demolition company?

Yes, I’m my case I had asbestos so I had to select the quote with fixed price. I did not want any surprises.
Femstar

Yes, I’m my case I had asbestos so I had to select the quote with fixed price. I did not want any surprises.

I think I'm in the same boat, so will ask them to quote on the same fixed cost basis. Thanks!
kiffoke
Femstar

I think I'm in the same boat, so will ask them to quote on the same fixed cost basis. Thanks!

We used AtoZ Demolitions.
Agree - ensure your quote is based on a thorough inspection for asbestos as getting rid of contaminated soil is expensive.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum