Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Arden Developments

Page 80 of 163
g33kerb0t
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

sorry, been awol for awhile. Going to tender tomorrow. Have been reading back at the thread but am getting headache from reading through 40 pages that I have missed out on. Any hints for tender? Have to take kids with us which is not ideal, hoping they don't bother us too much and we can get through it all. A few changes still to make. One thing, anyone ditch Smeg for other appliances? What did you decide on? Hoping it goes well.
My top hints for tender:
1. Think about everything you need that has structural impact (walls, ceiling height, bulkheads, room sizes, etc.) This is your last chance to make changes. Add noggins where you think it will be handy later on (like theatre, living room, ceiling for fans, etc.)
2. Have a list of must-haves, needs, and wants. Be ready to sacrifice where it doesn't matter as much should things go over budget (for example, we prioritised our kitchen vs wall to ceiling bath tiles, etc.).
3. Make sure you get all your electrical requirements priced (additional data, power points, pre-wiring of doorbells and alarms, etc.). Have a think about where you want lights to be placed (for example we had wall lights above the mirror to be changed to led stip lights later on).
4. Review your colour selections and colour sketches to make sure you are happy. Go through everything with a fine tooth comb. (For example we had customised our kitchen cabinetry with wall over and additional drawers, and wanted cabinet hinges to open a certain way, to make sure future stuff like pull out pantries or bins can fit).
5. Write all your changes/questions/clarifications down so you don't miss anything out. Go through them one by one with your tender presenter.

Good luck!

Thanks for that G33. Hadn't thought about how cupboards would open. Also think we need to add more data ports (they only give you two I think)
Re: taking kids, it's prob easier at this app than colours etc. as they basically read every line of the quote word for word so can be a bit boring.

I was able to re choose external colours and tiles so you can get them to grab things from colour room to see again.

the online reviews for the SMEG dish washer and the SMEG built in microwave oven that came with the Bespoke are terrible. we've had them remove them and leave space there to install our own later (most likely miele or bosch)
laaa
the online reviews for the SMEG dish washer and the SMEG built in microwave oven that came with the Bespoke are terrible. we've had them remove them and leave space there to install our own later (most likely miele or bosch)

The reviews of the ovens are not much better. We were thinking Miele but went to the show room near south Melbourne markets, the sales lady we spoke to was next to useless. Hope they have better people as it did not fill us with confidence in handing over many $$$.
Ezza78
Re: taking kids, it's prob easier at this app than colours etc. as they basically read every line of the quote word for word so can be a bit boring.

I was able to re choose external colours and tiles so you can get them to grab things from colour room to see again.

Thanks Ezza, hoping tomorrow goes smoothly, our 6 yr old can be great but can also be a right pain (50/50 of which version he is on any given day).
g33kerb0t
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

sorry, been awol for awhile. Going to tender tomorrow. Have been reading back at the thread but am getting headache from reading through 40 pages that I have missed out on. Any hints for tender? Have to take kids with us which is not ideal, hoping they don't bother us too much and we can get through it all. A few changes still to make. One thing, anyone ditch Smeg for other appliances? What did you decide on? Hoping it goes well.
Yeah we ditched the included ones and made some changes:
- freestanding cooktop changed to SMEG PGA96 cooktop via Arden.
- built in rangehood changed to SMEG freestanding rangehood (forgot the model now) via Arden
- scrapped the smeg included dishwasher - we'll buy our own bosch and install after handover
- we'll also have a bosch oven tower (one 45cm one 60cm) to be installed after handover

Any reason for not going everything withBosch?
We just went with SMEG inclusions, we are no Masterchefs and figured both oven and dishwasher could be easily replaced when we have more money.

ArdenPointCoook
g33kerb0t
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

Yeah we ditched the included ones and made some changes:
- freestanding cooktop changed to SMEG PGA96 cooktop via Arden.
- built in rangehood changed to SMEG freestanding rangehood (forgot the model now) via Arden
- scrapped the smeg included dishwasher - we'll buy our own bosch and install after handover
- we'll also have a bosch oven tower (one 45cm one 60cm) to be installed after handover

Any reason for not going everything withBosch?
I didn't like the bosch cooktop. Had a look through myself in E&S/harvey norman/good guys. I thought the knobs were plastic and reviews say the labels get removed easily.

Also, Arden could not supply bosch anyway so i had to go with what they can supply. I didn't want to risk buying my own cooktop and then having someone cut the expensive caesarstone later on to fit it after handover. It's much better for the builder to do it.

For the rangehood - I just matched it with the cooktop brand.

ArdenPointCoook
geminithinker
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

Yes. Went with Ikea ovens and induction due to 5 yr warranty and made by same manufacturer as AEG

Do you mind me asking what the price was of the IKEA ones?
We are getting one steam and one pyro oven 1200 each. Induction cool top around the same price too.

g33kerb0t
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

My top hints for tender:
1. Think about everything you need that has structural impact (walls, ceiling height, bulkheads, room sizes, etc.) This is your last chance to make changes. Add noggins where you think it will be handy later on (like theatre, living room, ceiling for fans, etc.)
2. Have a list of must-haves, needs, and wants. Be ready to sacrifice where it doesn't matter as much should things go over budget (for example, we prioritised our kitchen vs wall to ceiling bath tiles, etc.).
3. Make sure you get all your electrical requirements priced (additional data, power points, pre-wiring of doorbells and alarms, etc.). Have a think about where you want lights to be placed (for example we had wall lights above the mirror to be changed to led stip lights later on).
4. Review your colour selections and colour sketches to make sure you are happy. Go through everything with a fine tooth comb. (For example we had customised our kitchen cabinetry with wall over and additional drawers, and wanted cabinet hinges to open a certain way, to make sure future stuff like pull out pantries or bins can fit).
5. Write all your changes/questions/clarifications down so you don't miss anything out. Go through them one by one with your tender presenter.

Good luck!

Id be interested to know what your tender $$ ended up being before you scaled back. I'm not loving what we have to cull lol. Also how many squares is your place?

geminithinker
ArdenPointCoook
geminithinker
[quote="ArdenPointCoook"]Hey All,

Yes. Went with Ikea ovens and induction due to 5 yr warranty and made by same manufacturer as AEG

Do you mind me asking what the price was of the IKEA ones?
We are getting one steam and one pyro oven 1200 each. Induction cool top around the same price too.

[/quote]Also doing fisher and paykel double dish drawers as that is what we have now and love it.

geminithinker
g33kerb0t
ArdenPointCoook
Hey All,

My top hints for tender:

Good luck!

Id be interested to know what your tender $$ ended up being before you scaled back. I'm not loving what we have to cull lol. Also how many squares is your place?

We were 40k over budget if I remember correctly.
Our place is 43sq. Pretty much the standard votivo43. We have not increased overall house dimensions, except for the 1.5m garage extension.

g33kerb0t
geminithinker
g33kerb0t
[quote="ArdenPointCoook"]Hey All,

My top hints for tender:

Good luck!

Our place is 43sq. Pretty much the standard votivo43. We have not increased overall house dimensions, except for the 1.5m garage extension.

[/quote]Ok that helps then hehe. Ours is almost 53sq. We are working on cutting back size lol

geminithinker
g33kerb0t
geminithinker
[quote="g33kerb0t"][quote="ArdenPointCoook"]Hey All,

My top hints for tender:

Good luck!

[/quote]Ok that helps then hehe. Ours is almost 53sq. We are working on cutting back size lol

[/quote]53sq Does that include the triple garage?

g33kerb0t
geminithinker
g33kerb0t
[quote="geminithinker"][quote="g33kerb0t"][quote="ArdenPointCoook"]Hey All,

My top hints for tender:

Good luck!

[/quote]53sq Does that include the triple garage?

[/quote]Yeh it does. I would like to keep the bigger garage. Would be great if we could just scale back various areas and see how cost changes.

Has anyone picked a cat 4 stone for their kitchen? If so which? And cost? Trying to figure out if there is much of a difference in cost between cat4 and cat5

Hi geminithinker, i have not done my tender. but in my colour browse was told to factor around 2K for kitchen and butlers for cat 4.
gags
Hi geminithinker, i have not done my tender. but in my colour browse was told to factor around 2K for kitchen and butlers for cat 4.
That's a big jump if so was 6k just for cat5 island bench!

geminithinker
Has anyone picked a cat 4 stone for their kitchen? If so which? And cost? Trying to figure out if there is much of a difference in cost between cat4 and cat5

I have cat 4. 2576 for kitchen only.

Ezza78
I agree with structural changes. Def be sure of your windows etc. We made a few changes to windows and it's hard to do after tender.

If you have raised ceilings consider increasing external door size. We hadn't and our feature stacker doors finished lower then the window height - luckily it got picked up in time.

We added junction points outside for feature lights to be added later. Also wish we had done LED strip under wall hung cabinets in kitchen instead of down lights. Anyone know if that's hard to change later?

You can use the tender appointment to get anything you want priced. We added some cabinetry to master wardrobe ect. We ditched feature tiles as were very expensive. Thought guide prices from colour appointment were way off actual cost.

We added cold water point behind fridge for future fridge with ice dispenser and an external gas point on deck for BBQ later on.

Anyway you can make a few changes post tender without variation fee if lucky but best to get all structural stuff done at tender time if you can. Having said that we did increase our deck post tender so it is possible.

Good luck!

RE the strip lights, my electrician friend looked over our elec plan and that was one thing we talked about. He said it was better to get Arden to do it as they will add the rebate to the overhead cabinets to place the strip in, he also said the pricing was OK, not too over inflated.

To answer your question though, yes it can be done after.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum