Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 787 of 862
brucefil2011
have been having a discussion with my wife on SS management.

My view which the tradies on site agree with is that a stick is always best. i.e. treat em mean and keep em keen. My view is I treat this like any business transaction.

My wife says that we should offer a carrot and that honey catches the bear. Her view is keep the SS onside as you may alianate them with my view causing delays.

Id like the opionion of the PD community on this....Stick or Carrot?

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com

I think you can use both. Stick if they're stuffing you around, carrot if they're treating you right. If they're doing a good job thank them for it and just be firm about wanting to get any little issues fixed. If they're stuffing you around then make it clear you're not a pushover and you expect things to be done right.

We've only had the one meeting with our SS so far after the frame inspection from Darbecca, it came up pretty well and we talked about all the problems pretty openly and he told us how he was going to get them fixed or explained that it would be done at a later stage. There's no point in being a hardass and chipping him about every little thing that comes up, I don't expect the tradies to do a perfect job the first time around and so long as it gets sorted and doesn't hold up the build I'm not bothered. There's a whole bunch of stuff and inevitably some of it will get missed, that's one of the reasons why I hire an inspector to take a fresh look at it and let me and PD know what needs to be sorted.

If something big comes up in the future then I expect we'll have a discussion about it and if he doesn't play it straight then the stick comes out. If you've got a good SS though then I would expect that they'll be trying to do the right thing anyway and hopefully it can be carrots the whole way through.
brucefil2011

My view which the tradies on site agree with is that a stick is always best. i.e. treat em mean and keep em keen. My view is I treat this like any business transaction.

My wife says that we should offer a carrot and that honey catches the bear. Her view is keep the SS onside as you may alianate them with my view causing delays.

Not with PD, but having tried both we have found the stick is more effective. We befriend them to keep them onside but if you really need something done being firm is the only thing that seems to work. No doubt it varies depending on the individual SS.
Hello,

We are long time lurkers and first time posters.

The information we have gathered from this site has been amazing and we appreciate the time people take to post their experiences. We are building the Madison 40 and have just finished our colour selection.

We are having an interesting discussion with our BC regarding skirting installation. As PD could not give an indication of the rebate we would get for CAT1 carpet and underlay, we have decided to go elsewhere to get our carpet. We have now been advised that PD will not install the skirting and will take no responsibility for loss or damage of the skirting while it sits on site. This seems to contradict what we have read here, especially from those of you installing timber flooring.

For those of you installing flooring after hand over, what arrangements have you made with PD regarding installation (or not) of your skirting?
Madison40_PD

If you are keen to network with other Madison'ers.
Here is the thread, if you are not already aware it.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=86344&p=1767046&hilit=Porter+Davis+Madison+40#p1767046
brucefil2011

A small carrot and a big stick with spikes, offer the small carrot but make sure you have the big stick on the other hand because most likely you will use it. my experience is they prey on customers who only carry carrots and no sticks. Do not let your guard or their sweet talk get to you, you are spending big money on your build and all they care about is signing off as quickly as possible. Let them know when the stick comes out you are not a carrot person and watch them get straight back to formation.
Madison40_PD
Hello,

The information we have gathered from this site has been amazing and we appreciate the time people take to post their experiences. We are building the Madison 40 and have just finished our colour selection.

We are having an interesting discussion with our BC regarding skirting installation. As PD could not give an indication of the rebate we would get for CAT1 carpet and underlay, we have decided to go elsewhere to get our carpet. We have now been advised that PD will not install the skirting and will take no responsibility for loss or damage of the skirting while it sits on site. This seems to contradict what we have read here, especially from those of you installing timber flooring.

For those of you installing flooring after hand over, what arrangements have you made with PD regarding installation (or not) of your skirting?

Hi @ Madison 40!

We are currently building with PD and during our contract stages we too decided to do part of our floors post handover and let them put there cat 1 carpet in till we can save do coin for better carpets. They initially told me the skirts were to be left off and I asked them to lay them. They said they can't cause if we don't want quad with the floors then the skirts go down before floors. We told them we were installing tiles so the skirts could go down and they didn't have an excuse. They ended up laying g them for us
we actually aren't laying tiles or floors with quad. Hubby is a chippy and will lay it a different way

For those who are looking for security camera systems;
After bit of research I bought this from eBay.
Dahua 8 channel NVR 2108HS-8P-S2 + 2TB HDD + 4x IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP IP POE Cameras.
They are from China but they all have loaded with English firmware. NVR can be updated to latest firmware version available but cameras are locked. I got PD to do the cabling and I will be installing these post handover.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dahua-CCTV-KIT-8CH-NVR-2108HS-8P-S2-2TB-HDD-IPC-HDW4431C-A-4MP-IP-POE-Camera/222692258163
Madison40_PD
Hello,

We’re doing our hardwood floors and carpets after handover. Our WOS consultant suggested that we upgrade our skirting to 92mm so that there is enough room for the floor thickness as well as quads. She said if we do this, PD can install the skirting for us. I asked our BC to specify in the contract that they will install the skirting. Cost was 222aud to upgrade the skirting to 92mm high for a 46sq home.

Instagram
@pdsomerville46

way2funky
brucefil2011

A small carrot and a big stick with spikes, offer the small carrot but make sure you have the big stick on the other hand because most likely you will use it. my experience is they prey on customers who only carry carrots and no sticks. Do not let your guard or their sweet talk get to you, you are spending big money on your build and all they care about is signing off as quickly as possible. Let them know when the stick comes out you are not a carrot person and watch them get straight back to formation.
I agree do you think this will do?

KushD
Dahua 8 channel NVR 2108HS-8P-S2 + 2TB HDD + 4x IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP IP POE Cameras.
They are from China but they all have loaded with English firmware. NVR can be updated to latest firmware version available but cameras are locked. I got PD to do the cabling and I will be installing these post handover.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dahua-CCTV-KIT-8CH-NVR-2108HS-8P-S2-2TB-HDD-IPC-HDW4431C-A-4MP-IP-POE-Camera/222692258163
im doing exactly the same. thanks for the information. Can you let us know once you get the kit and try it out how easy it is to set up.

brucefil2011
KushD

im doing exactly the same. thanks for the information. Can you let us know once you get the kit and try it out how easy it is to set up.

Will let you know once I received the kit.
I'm looking for POE powered doorbell and monitor too. There are few Dahua kits. Will finalize one soon.

You can try ring.com for wired and wireless doorbell. They arent POE though but worth a look. The doorbell has a built in camera and motion detect sensor.

As for security cam i was thinking going for a swann 5MP 8Channels with 4 IP and 2TB HDD. Am still looking around for one where i can add extra HDD or use my existing NAS to store all footage.
Gio
You can try ring.com for wired and wireless doorbell. They arent POE though but worth a look. The doorbell has a built in camera and motion detect sensor.

As for security cam i was thinking going for a swann 5MP 8Channels with 4 IP and 2TB HDD. Am still looking around for one where i can add extra HDD or use my existing NAS to store all footage.
the swans good but at about $1000 and the cameras arnt as good as those from ebay

I was just checking out the Dahua, i think i found i was looking for. After reading the specs noticed the hdd can go up to 6TB. I have a couple of old sata drive at home. Need to look into it a bit more. Am not sure about those cams. They all look like ceiling mounted cams..i would have like at least 2 wall and 2 ceiling cams.
Gio
I was just checking out the Dahua, i think i found i was looking for. After reading the specs noticed the hdd can go up to 6TB. I have a couple of old sata drive at home. Need to look into it a bit more. Am not sure about those cams. They all look like ceiling mounted cams..i would have like at least 2 wall and 2 ceiling cams.
you can get kits with both or simply buy a few bullet cameras as thier fairly inexpensive

Hurrow
sencillez
Hi Guys,

We had this in our previous inspection report:

The dwelling must be water tight prior to installing any wall batts or plaster. Any water that enters the dwelling once the batts or plaster have been installed will render the batts or plaster damaged and they will need to be replaced. I refer the builder to AS 2589 and AS 3999

We emphasised it to our SS during our walkthrough. We asked him not to install the plaster until the ceiling is covered. He said it will be his call depending on the weather.

As expected they proceeded with plaster installation before the ceiling cover. We went to the site and noticed that the floor is wet due to the recent rain. We assumed that the plaster and insulation also got wet.

When we told our SS, here’s what he said:

“I was at site yesterday and the ceiling capping still wasn’t done so I followed them up, they have advised me it will be done today.

The area was dry yesterday when I was there so I assume was only minimal water given wall is under eaves, I doubt we will have any issues re mould.”

Would you be worried? Or will you let it go? I’m so tired of chasing them for defect fixes
and for this they have to take out the architraves and plaster for these two walls, but I’m worried about the damage.

I'd be hitting them up to fix it given it's their fault. You told the SS not to install the plaster until the roof was covered, he said it was up to him depending on weather (probably fair enough to want to get on with it if there is no chance of rain but this is Victoria!) and then went and did it anyway despite the fact that rain was likely.

So here’s the reply from my SS about this issue, and note that our plaster is not looking good in our masters bedroom now
I’m quite sure they will not replace it. They will probably just patch the holes.

“We have already established why capping’s were not done, as booked and requested, this while not ideal sometimes happens in construction

As per your photo below, its extremely evident that the water is minimal, if it were quiet a lot as you say the room would be flooded, or significantly more. I would suggest that what we are looking at there wouldn’t be enough to fill a glass even.

That particular day we had 10mmof rain, a soaking…..This is not evident in the photo you provide. Furthermore the following day the area was completely dry.

All this considered I have put 2 small holes in plaster to see if insulation is still wet, as this would indicate its likely to cause mould etc ( see photo attached)

The insulation is not wet, completely dry and is exactly the same condition as when it was put in, therefore supports my original thoughts advised above.

I still don’t get why he says that’s not much water when the rain reached the floor from the ceiling

His response sounds very patronising to me!

Has anyone had a SS with the initials SS?

sencillez
Hurrow
sencillez
Hi Guys,

The dwelling must be water tight prior to installing any wall batts or plaster. Any water that enters the dwelling once the batts or plaster have been installed will render the batts or plaster damaged and they will need to be replaced. I refer the builder to AS 2589 and AS 3999

We emphasised it to our SS during our walkthrough. We asked him not to install the plaster until the ceiling is covered. He said it will be his call depending on the weather.

As expected they proceeded with plaster installation before the ceiling cover. We went to the site and noticed that the floor is wet due to the recent rain. We assumed that the plaster and insulation also got wet.

“I was at site yesterday and the ceiling capping still wasn’t done so I followed them up, they have advised me it will be done today.

The area was dry yesterday when I was there so I assume was only minimal water given wall is under eaves, I doubt we will have any issues re mould.”

Would you be worried? Or will you let it go? I’m so tired of chasing them for defect fixes
and for this they have to take out the architraves and plaster for these two walls, but I’m worried about the damage.

I'd be hitting them up to fix it given it's their fault. You told the SS not to install the plaster until the roof was covered, he said it was up to him depending on weather (probably fair enough to want to get on with it if there is no chance of rain but this is Victoria!) and then went and did it anyway despite the fact that rain was likely.

So here’s the reply from my SS about this issue, and note that our plaster is not looking good in our masters bedroom now
I’m quite sure they will not replace it. They will probably just patch the holes.

“We have already established why capping’s were not done, as booked and requested, this while not ideal sometimes happens in construction

As per your photo below, its extremely evident that the water is minimal, if it were quiet a lot as you say the room would be flooded, or significantly more. I would suggest that what we are looking at there wouldn’t be enough to fill a glass even.

That particular day we had 10mmof rain, a soaking…..This is not evident in the photo you provide. Furthermore the following day the area was completely dry.

All this considered I have put 2 small holes in plaster to see if insulation is still wet, as this would indicate its likely to cause mould etc ( see photo attached)

The insulation is not wet, completely dry and is exactly the same condition as when it was put in, therefore supports my original thoughts advised above.

I still don’t get why he says that’s not much water when the rain reached the floor from the ceiling

your insulation wiring ect would be full of water. that's not acceptable. do you have an independent inspector if not get one now and get a written report on your situation send it to PD and get thier written responce.

brucefil2011
sencillez
Hurrow
[quote="sencillez"]Hi Guys,

your insulation wiring ect would be full of water. that's not acceptable. do you have an independent inspector if not get one now and get a written report on your situation send it to PD and get thier written responce.

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com[/quote]

Yes, it was Darbecca who warned us about the missing capping that’s why we kept an eye on it ☹️ there’s no way around our SS he always gets upset whenever we follow up Darbecca’s claims. He reckons inspectors write a long report just so we think we get our money’s worth
it’s so hopeless.

sencillez
brucefil2011
sencillez
[quote="Hurrow"][quote="sencillez"]Hi Guys,

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com[/quote]

Yes, it was Darbecca who warned us about the missing capping that’s why we kept an eye on it ☹️ there’s no way around our SS he always gets upset whenever we follow up Darbecca’s claims. He reckons inspectors write a long report just so we think we get our money’s worth
it’s so hopeless.

[/quote]

Well that’s not acceptable, he needs to fix it.

We are having our first meeting with our SS today and I swear it’s a inconvenience for him, makes out like he is doing us a favour. The only contact I have had from him in 9 weeks was his initial introduction phone call. Even when I called him he didn’t respond.

We are lucky we live right beside our build so we are there everyday and can see what’s happening, but if we didn’t live so close we wouldn’t have a clue.

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum