Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 786 of 862
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Naama
I just noticed that our final invoice does not have any compensation for the weeks of delay PD is overdue. When we will get the house PD will be over the due date approx 1.5 months... anyone knows how we will get the compensation? is it supposed to be in our final invoice or not because they still didn't finish building the house so they can't get a precise number yet?

I’m interested to know what happens here too as I think we will end up going over too.

- View my blog at http://www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com

Just received and answer from my BC : "Our process with reimbursing you for delays is that it is calculated once we know handover has taken place, then we will arrange a direct transfer into your account. In the meantime in order to settle your home you will be required to pay the balance of the final invoice."

So after we pay everything we will need to wait for them to pay us.. don't like the sound of it, I will let you know if they cause us any trouble with this...
Naama
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Naama
I just noticed that our final invoice does not have any compensation for the weeks of delay PD is overdue. When we will get the house PD will be over the due date approx 1.5 months... anyone knows how we will get the compensation? is it supposed to be in our final invoice or not because they still didn't finish building the house so they can't get a precise number yet?

I’m interested to know what happens here too as I think we will end up going over too.

Just received and answer from my BC : "Our process with reimbursing you for delays is that it is calculated once we know handover has taken place, then we will arrange a direct transfer into your account. In the meantime in order to settle your home you will be required to pay the balance of the final invoice."

So after we pay everything we will need to wait for them to pay us.. don't like the sound of it, I will let you know if they cause us any trouble with this...
Just when you think an organisation couldn't get anymore self-centred, they play this card.....The arrogance is unbelievable.

Naama

I'd be requesting (requiring) a bank cheque from them for the damages, on the same day as handover.

That's how our handover was executed, but not with PD.
Doc Freeman
Naama

I'd be requesting (requiring) a bank cheque from them for the damages, on the same day as handover.

That's how our handover was executed, but not with PD.

This is interesting Doc! I had heard that our builder pays at some point after handover and yet the contract says it may only be deducted from the final payment so i was wondering how it would go down. Did you have to insist on a cheque at handover or did they just do it that way?
Naama
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Naama

My contract says you can deduct the amount of the damages.

Bricklaying in progress. They are onsite today.

Hi All,

Our build has progressed well and they are telling us they have finished fix stage.

It’s not finished as there are still some things not completed. Seemingly nothing has been done for three weeks as they have been fixing some issues with the electrical and plumbing. I was a sparky working with Metricon for 2 years doing new house builds and I understand the best way to get things complete is to be in contact but ultimately to let them do their thing.

There had been some issues to this point but I considered them part of the build process however I have concerns that the recent thing I am being told is wrong and what is actually wrong are quiet different.

They have cut square holes about 300 by 300 wide on most of the external rooms in every wall most of the time in 2 places. It appears that these 2 places always have 2-3 studs so appear to be old bearing.

They told me the electrician didn’t finish, didn’t tell the supervisor so the plastered it so now they are fixing it. Did I mention I was a sparky? I could wire this home myself in in 4 hours, there is not a lot in it. Also after rough in I walked through and inspect the electrical and where it was run as I am doing the bulk of it after handover and only have their basic included electrical. Even more concerning is that you don’t need to cut holes in walls to retrofit PowerPoints on external walls and pretty much anywhere in the house with a single story. There is one room that this is an exception but it doesn’t explain the rest. In any case I gave the benefit of the doubt as the plumbing issue was thrown in there as well.

Yesterday I went there and the same 2 holes were cut in the external wall of the garage, there is no plumbing, no electrical, no meter box, no nothing and no reason to cut a hole there.

Anyone have any ideas what they may be trying to fix/hide that they aren’t/don’t want to tell me about?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not having a whinge and I’d be ok if they said x and y has happened we need to do this but I smell a rat

walks
Hi All,

Our build has progressed well and they are telling us they have finished fix stage.

It’s not finished as there are still some things not completed. Seemingly nothing has been done for three weeks as they have been fixing some issues with the electrical and plumbing. I was a sparky working with Metricon for 2 years doing new house builds and I understand the best way to get things complete is to be in contact but ultimately to let them do their thing.

There had been some issues to this point but I considered them part of the build process however I have concerns that the recent thing I am being told is wrong and what is actually wrong are quiet different.

They have cut square holes about 300 by 300 wide on most of the external rooms in every wall most of the time in 2 places. It appears that these 2 places always have 2-3 studs so appear to be old bearing.

They told me the electrician didn’t finish, didn’t tell the supervisor so the plastered it so now they are fixing it. Did I mention I was a sparky? I could wire this home myself in in 4 hours, there is not a lot in it. Also after rough in I walked through and inspect the electrical and where it was run as I am doing the bulk of it after handover and only have their basic included electrical. Even more concerning is that you don’t need to cut holes in walls to retrofit PowerPoints on external walls and pretty much anywhere in the house with a single story. There is one room that this is an exception but it doesn’t explain the rest. In any case I gave the benefit of the doubt as the plumbing issue was thrown in there as well.

Yesterday I went there and the same 2 holes were cut in the external wall of the garage, there is no plumbing, no electrical, no meter box, no nothing and no reason to cut a hole there.

Anyone have any ideas what they may be trying to fix/hide that they aren’t/don’t want to tell me about?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not having a whinge and I’d be ok if they said x and y has happened we need to do this but I smell a rat

Hmmmm, this does sound odd. I would text a pic to your site supervisor and ask them what the holes are there for, especially in the garage.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
walks
Hi All,

Hmmmm, this does sound odd. I would text a pic to your site supervisor and ask them what the holes are there for, especially in the garage.

Yeah that’s the thing SS has already said it was for electrical and plumbing.

walks
Waldorf_Grange_Build
walks
Hi All,

Can you reply and say something along the lines of "I'm just not sure why there are holes in places with no electrical and plumbing, such as the garage" - I think you deserve an explanation and I don't think the site supervisors know everything that the trades are doing on site. He's probably just answered your question based on an assumption without actually checking.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
walks
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="walks"]Hi All,

Can you reply and say something along the lines of "I'm just not sure why there are holes in places with no electrical and plumbing, such as the garage" - I think you deserve an explanation and I don't think the site supervisors know everything that the trades are doing on site. He's probably just answered your question based on an assumption without actually checking.[/quote]

Yeah I’ll give that a crack.

Also there is supposed to be an independent building inspector provided by them. I haven’t seen one report yet. Has anyone actually received a report from their so called independent inspectors?

I’d get your own independent inspector as well.

walks
Waldorf_Grange_Build
walks
[quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"][quote="walks"]Hi All,

Can you reply and say something along the lines of "I'm just not sure why there are holes in places with no electrical and plumbing, such as the garage" - I think you deserve an explanation and I don't think the site supervisors know everything that the trades are doing on site. He's probably just answered your question based on an assumption without actually checking.[/quote]

Also there is supposed to be an independent building inspector provided by them. I haven’t seen one report yet. Has anyone actually received a report from their so called independent inspectors?

[/quote]

I’ve never seen the inspectors report. You only hear via your building coordinator that it passed.

But I got my own independent inspector and they have found a lot of errors.

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
walks
Waldorf_Grange_Build
walks
[quote="Waldorf_Grange_Build"][quote="walks"]Hi All,

[/quote] you only ever receive a certificate without any detail to say an inspection is passed. asked my SS for details of areas that needed to be corrected and his comment was good luck getting that.

Hi Guys,

We had this in our previous inspection report:

The dwelling must be water tight prior to installing any wall batts or plaster. Any water that enters the dwelling once the batts or plaster have been installed will render the batts or plaster damaged and they will need to be replaced. I refer the builder to AS 2589 and AS 3999

We emphasised it to our SS during our walkthrough. We asked him not to install the plaster until the ceiling is covered. He said it will be his call depending on the weather.

As expected they proceeded with plaster installation before the ceiling cover. We went to the site and noticed that the floor is wet due to the recent rain. We assumed that the plaster and insulation also got wet.

When we told our SS, here’s what he said:

“I was at site yesterday and the ceiling capping still wasn’t done so I followed them up, they have advised me it will be done today.

The area was dry yesterday when I was there so I assume was only minimal water given wall is under eaves, I doubt we will have any issues re mould.”

Would you be worried? Or will you let it go? I’m so tired of chasing them for defect fixes
and for this they have to take out the architraves and plaster for these two walls, but I’m worried about the damage.

sencillez
Hi Guys,

The dwelling must be water tight prior to installing any wall batts or plaster. Any water that enters the dwelling once the batts or plaster have been installed will render the batts or plaster damaged and they will need to be replaced. I refer the builder to AS 2589 and AS 3999

We emphasised it to our SS during our walkthrough. We asked him not to install the plaster until the ceiling is covered. He said it will be his call depending on the weather.

As expected they proceeded with plaster installation before the ceiling cover. We went to the site and noticed that the floor is wet due to the recent rain. We assumed that the plaster and insulation also got wet.

“I was at site yesterday and the ceiling capping still wasn’t done so I followed them up, they have advised me it will be done today.

The area was dry yesterday when I was there so I assume was only minimal water given wall is under eaves, I doubt we will have any issues re mould.”

Would you be worried? Or will you let it go? I’m so tired of chasing them for defect fixes
and for this they have to take out the architraves and plaster for these two walls, but I’m worried about the damage.

I'd be hitting them up to fix it given it's their fault. You told the SS not to install the plaster until the roof was covered, he said it was up to him depending on weather (probably fair enough to want to get on with it if there is no chance of rain but this is Victoria!) and then went and did it anyway despite the fact that rain was likely.
sencillez
Hi Guys,

We had water leak into our property too.

I agree it is draining trying to micro manage the defects being rectified.

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
things moving on well. Walls up, tommorow eaves will go in and insulation. Next week plaster.

Will need to discuss with my inspector some ******* looking filler that has been used

see more at hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
They are moving ahead quickly today. Just finished at site where insulation and eaves are now completed.

The eaves make it look like a proper house

Have discussed some small issues where we are missing some power pionts. Better fixed before plaster for all of us.

have been having a discussion with my wife on SS management.

My view which the tradies on site agree with is that a stick is always best. i.e. treat em mean and keep em keen. My view is I treat this like any business transaction.

My wife says that we should offer a carrot and that honey catches the bear. Her view is keep the SS onside as you may alianate them with my view causing delays.

Id like the opionion of the PD community on this....Stick or Carrot?

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum