Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who is building with Beechwood

Page 746 of 788

in the corners we have gaps down the length like this.. some have mortar in sections, some have black rubber looking stuff, but most have gaps like this...

this just looks dicey.. think they will add something around it?

i am not sure what to even say about this.

looks like the hole was cut correctly, then the frame was made, they must of noticed it was wrong.. but left it in..

wonky.
braddy_

the front 2 windows have chipped bricks around the frame like the above pic..

They will offer to put an angle over this

An angle?

wtf is that?

does not sound like a good finish..
braddy_

this just looks dicey.. think they will add something around it?

Some interesting pics to say the least. Not sure what the pipe is for? All our pipes come out of the slab.. nothing through the brick work. The front step we have a similar thing and they tile over it so won't see it. Bricks around the window don't look good as it's above the weep holes it will allow water into the wall cavity one would assume. I would be having a chat with the supervisor. Ask him what they are intending on doing to fix it
wow braddy I hope they fix that, it doesn't look good at all

We have had our frames and trusses delivered
yippee, I don't know when they will start putting them up though, hopefully soon, we haven't had a call from our new supervisor yet.

What height is everyone getting their powerpoints at for their TV's?
Tom2016

Who's thought far enough ahead about any retaining walls they going to do? We have a few due to slope.. looking at using timber look concrete retaining walls. Seem to be very hardy. Anyone used these before? Just don't want to have to re do it if I use timber after a few years.

Im also interested in this, we have some to do also. We were thinking of those big concrete blocks, like you we don't want to be redoing timber ones later. I guess it will depend on the budget at the end of construction.
braddy_
An angle?

wtf is that?

does not sound like a good finish..

An aluminium strip the same colour as the window to cover the gap

newb
wow braddy I hope they fix that, it doesn't look good at all

We have had our frames and trusses delivered
yippee, I don't know when they will start putting them up though, hopefully soon, we haven't had a call from our new supervisor yet.

What height is everyone getting their powerpoints at for their TV's?

Our tvs powerpoints are at a height of anywhere between 130-150cm as most of them will be in a bracket or in an entertainment unit. The one in the theatre room is the one on 150cm as it will be covered with the 75cm tv anyway

http://buildingourhumblehome.blogspot.com
Land Deposit - 20.08.2016
Land Registered - 27.09.2016
Land Settlement - 07.11.2016
House Deposit - 27.11.2016
House Contracts - 16.02.2017
House Build Starts - 10.04.2017
Building with Beechwood Homes
Tom2016
Poppet were having a metal roof hence the anticon blanket. Normally sarking is used on tile roofs. Me personally wouldn't have a tile roof without sarking sorry tap. Seen plenty of leaky roofs that have had tile shift or when ppl have installedtv aerials on roofs and tiles end up cracked water gets into the roof cavity and destroys your roof. Seen it recently when the ceiling collapsed as there was that much water in the insulation in the ceiling it couldn't hold the weight.

The Idea of the sarking is to provide a weather prof membrane under the tiles between the roof trusses. And water that manages to get past the tiles will flow down the sarking and into the gutter.

thanks Tom.. am sure we have isarking on our contract.. we had to go tiles because of some council restriction but if we had a choice we would go metal roof 100%

Apparently the window frame still needs to have storm mould attached, whatever that is.

Anyone know a good place to pick up blinds central coast nsw?

I like plantation shutters, but they are way expensive, so thinking of getting plantation shutters in front windows and living area.. then cordless timber Venetians in bedrooms.
braddy_

the front 2 windows have chipped bricks around the frame like the above pic..

We had a much bigger gap, more like an inch or more. They put in some strip stuff the same as window and no one else would pick it.

braddy_

in the corners we have gaps down the length like this.. some have mortar in sections, some have black rubber looking stuff, but most have gaps like this...

These they fill with a different kind of mortar like stuff. The ones with rubber foam stuff will be pulled out and filled also.

Grace33
We have our PCI on Monday too. We still need carpets, appliances, and fly screens. With only 1 working day to go I am thinking it won't be finished either.

how did you go Grace?
Hi Everyone,
So i have started reading this post from the beginning and am about halfway through. It's only taken about a week. Lol.
Loving seeing how everybodies builds were going and have picked up some great tips.
We are currently waiting for our land to be registered in Green Orchids, Nowra. Building the Verdelho guest with a few mods.
I am sure there will be many Questions later on but i do have one now.
When we first approached BW we were told our site costs would be $45.
When we received our tender site costs are now $60 and we have additional site costs of $15???
I should also say we are getting our land through Beechwood but seperately to the house. Our rep told us about this land from the get go, saying it had been looked at previously but sale fell through and that's when the $45 site costs came up. it is a slightly sloping piece of land but can't believe how much the site costs have gone up.
Can anyone shed some light as to costs?
Unfortunately i haven't caught up to the newer posts yet. Is anyone else building in Green Orchids?
Thanks and can't wait to catch up on the rest of this thread.
Welcome bkalm. I did the same thing of reading the whole things before jumping into the group chat.

Wow site cost is now $45K or in your case $60K. We started dealing with Beechwood Sept last year and we were told $40K but added an extra $5K (actually they were charging more than that but it pays to question them as I was shocked with all the things they added after the B88 instrument result came out)
Our land has a 1.5m slope toward the back but after they revisited the land and dropping some beams. So far everything is looking alright.
I would ask BW to explain to you why the sudden jump of the site cost.
All the best bkalm

http://buildingourhumblehome.blogspot.com
Land Deposit - 20.08.2016
Land Registered - 27.09.2016
Land Settlement - 07.11.2016
House Deposit - 27.11.2016
House Contracts - 16.02.2017
House Build Starts - 10.04.2017
Building with Beechwood Homes
newb
Grace33
We have our PCI on Monday too. We still need carpets, appliances, and fly screens. With only 1 working day to go I am thinking it won't be finished either.

how did you go Grace?
PCI went well, thanks for asking newb!!! Our site supervisor (Garry) has been great. Our quick build time has come down to him booking in trades and being on top of everything. So we had our appointment at 10am on Monday. We walked through with Garry. He had put blue stickers on marks on the wall but nothing major. The front door tile entry was the biggest problem because it wasn't level. He said he will get the tiler back out to correct it. We found a hairline crack in a tile in the ensuite right up the top. Our watertank pipes need to be re-done and put in the ground, so our screen can be put in the right spot. We were happy to sign off and start the process to get the keys. He said the appliances wont go in until a day before handover because they've had alot of theft atm especially in Wadalba. So now they wait, to save paying for the appliances again. After the PCI I emailed beechwood and they sent out the final invoice the next day, we got $1100 back on site fencing because our neighbours had there fence up already. I sent it to my bank and now I am just waiting on a valuator to view the property. I also applied for a occupation certificate on Friday but haven't heard anything yet. Meanwhile Garry will fix up some of the issues and it will get another clean. Hoping to get the keys by the end of next week. Then the fun begins.
bkalm
Hi Everyone,
So i have started reading this post from the beginning and am about halfway through. It's only taken about a week. Lol.
Loving seeing how everybodies builds were going and have picked up some great tips.
We are currently waiting for our land to be registered in Green Orchids, Nowra. Building the Verdelho guest with a few mods.
I am sure there will be many Questions later on but i do have one now.
When we first approached BW we were told our site costs would be $45.
When we received our tender site costs are now $60 and we have additional site costs of $15???
I should also say we are getting our land through Beechwood but seperately to the house. Our rep told us about this land from the get go, saying it had been looked at previously but sale fell through and that's when the $45 site costs came up. it is a slightly sloping piece of land but can't believe how much the site costs have gone up.
Can anyone shed some light as to costs?
Unfortunately i haven't caught up to the newer posts yet. Is anyone else building in Green Orchids?
Thanks and can't wait to catch up on the rest of this thread.

Welcome bkalm. You where lucky they originally told us our site cost would be 50k then our first tender came back with 110k sight costs. There where a few different reasons that just added up.

Related
3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum