Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who is building with Beechwood

Page 739 of 788
The smoke alarm on a standalone circuit is a very clever idea - I wish we'd thought of that!

We also got ceiling fans in the bedrooms - even though we will have ducted air conditioning, ceiling fans use hardly any power and are really nice for sleeping.

You may also want to consider a ducted vacuum - much harder to put in later on. Around $1500.

If you're wall mounting your TV(s), then you may want to consider conduit piping inside the wall to allow for cables to feed through.

I'm pretty sure 2 way switches are extra. From memory, the 'included' electrical plan was very basic - a standard light fitting in each room, and minimal power points.

This is what we ended up with as a final plan.. before we went we wrote a list of things and questions and drew it onto a beechwood electrical plan made it fairl easy. If you use southwest electrical they have a running total at the bottom of the screen that you watch... adds up quickly lol

You can jump onto the Clipsal website and there is a fantastic tool that allows you to upload your floor plan and add lighting etc it's a great tool that lets you play with lighting options...

Look at the heights you want power points etc. also depending on your Ovenn configuration you may end up with a switch if it's all electric if it is make sure you get them to include it into current switch and not stand alone looks poor but we have had cook top so no switch.. I honestly thought electrical was worse to decide on than colours lol
newb
Hi yes they are standard but if you want them in the 1/3 pattern then you have to pay extra so I don't think of them as standard as I personally would not have them stacked as a floor tile. Thanks for the welcome, yes we are almost at the same stage i think you have been just ahead of me so far. I have already put extra power points in each of the bedrooms as we only have one now and its not enough, plus one extra in the kitchen. Its so hard to know what to put in ive got my plan sitting on my coffee table with the extra electrical i am thinking of and just keep checking over it every time i sit down lol.

Where are you building newb? Are you using the South Coast (Nowra) office?

Tom2016

This is what we ended up with as a final plan.. before we went we wrote a list of things and questions and drew it onto a beechwood electrical plan made it fairl easy. If you use southwest electrical they have a running total at the bottom of the screen that you watch... adds up quickly lol

You can jump onto the Clipsal website and there is a fantastic tool that allows you to upload your floor plan and add lighting etc it's a great tool that lets you play with lighting options...

Look at the heights you want power points etc. also depending on your Owen configuration you may end up with a witch if it's all electric if it is make sure you get them to include it into current switch and not stand alone looks poor but we have had cook top so no switch.. I honestly thought electrical was worse to decide on than colours lol

Thank you. Will have to go on the clipsal sight. I am hoping with a single story house we can come in and do a lot of the electrics done after the build. So torn tho. Would be nice to move in to a brand new home with nothing more left todo.

Tom2016

Look at the heights you want power points etc. also depending on your Owen configuration you may end up with a witch if it's all electric if it is make sure you get them to include it into current switch and not stand alone looks poor but we have had cook top so no switch.. I honestly thought electrical was worse to decide on than colours lol

Thank you. Will have to go on the clipsal sight. I am hoping with a single story house we can come in and do a lot of the electrics done after the build. So torn tho. Would be nice to move in to a brand new home with nothing more left todo.

Hi all
Just wondering who pays for water and power during the construction process?
Is this our responsibility or does Beechwood build it into the construction fee?

Thanks heaps
We've been getting water bills.

Power is Beechwood's responsibility.
kdrb2016

That's interesting about the power KDRB. When we asked about power we were told we will get the bill directly from the energy provider.
Oh really... I may be wrong... we haven't seen any power bill for over 6 months
Beechwood set up an electric and gas account with AGL. We have been sent our account info from AGL and we have had one bill for about $60. We have also paid a huge waterbill with no water usage. It was about $400 but i think it was for a connection fee.

We are getting our carpets in today. I cant believe how quick this build has gone. We havent got a PCI date yet but the SS says probably late next week.

Grace33
We are getting our carpets in today. I cant believe how quick this build has gone. We havent got a PCI date yet but the SS says probably late next week.

wow Grace that's so exciting, Is yours a 34 week build? Ive been following along your blog since we are building the same house!
Moscato5
newb
Hi yes they are standard but if you want them in the 1/3 pattern then you have to pay extra so I don't think of them as standard as I personally would not have them stacked as a floor tile. Thanks for the welcome, yes we are almost at the same stage i think you have been just ahead of me so far. I have already put extra power points in each of the bedrooms as we only have one now and its not enough, plus one extra in the kitchen. Its so hard to know what to put in ive got my plan sitting on my coffee table with the extra electrical i am thinking of and just keep checking over it every time i sit down lol.

Where are you building newb? Are you using the South Coast (Nowra) office?

Yes we are on the South Coast.

Tom2016
tapasr_Lexia4
newb

How much extra are we talking about newb? Our electrical appointment is on the 27th so unless our other mates here can give us any info as to what they have done or what they could have done then that whittled be great for us who are just about to ink and finalise our electricals then that would be great

http://buildingourhumblehome.blogspot.com
Land Deposit - 20.08.2016
Land Registered - 27.09.2016
Land Settlement - 07.11.2016
House Deposit - 27.11.2016
House Contracts - 16.02.2017
House Build Starts - 10.04.2017
Building with Beechwood Homes

Some of the other things we did at electrical
Lights down the side of the house
Extra circuits for power ( allows splitting later)
Smoke alarm on standalone circuit (as fire fighters we go to many houses with hard wired smoke alarm and the only thing you can do is turn the light circuit off then you got no lights till they fixed)
Sensor activated lights out the front facade
Data points (hills home hub wasn't worth it for us)
2 & 3 way switching in certian areas
Outside power points
SPA circuits
Tv points
Phone points as well as lead in inside main power trench
Extra light points
Power in

Thanks Tom! Some great ideas.
My contract says its a 33 week build. It will only be 22 weeks on Thursday and that includes the 4 weeks close down at Christmas. You never know what will happen but I am hoping to be in by this time next month. We have been waiting for this for 3 years. Our SS has been amazing booking-in trades. Cant wait to move in.

bredani
Hi all
Just wondering who pays for water and power during the construction process?
Is this our responsibility or does Beechwood build it into the construction fee?

Thanks heaps

We got electricity bill during build. As for water, we literally just had the water meter installed today. Been living here nearly 4 months.

kdrb2016
The smoke alarm on a standalone circuit is a very clever idea - I wish we'd thought of that!

We also got ceiling fans in the bedrooms - even though we will have ducted air conditioning, ceiling fans use hardly any power and are really nice for sleeping.

You may also want to consider a ducted vacuum - much harder to put in later on. Around $1500.

If you're wall mounting your TV(s), then you may want to consider conduit piping inside the wall to allow for cables to feed through.

I'm pretty sure 2 way switches are extra. From memory, the 'included' electrical plan was very basic - a standard light fitting in each room, and minimal power points.

we will do ceiling fans later as we didn't have them on the plans. do you know if southwest do the conduit for the walls and how much it is or is that something that is easy enough to do later. we added a 2 way switch at colours but they didn't give us a breakdown of the extra electrical so im not sure if it was extra or not.
kdrb2016

That's interesting kdrb. We're not in the construction stage yet but we hit an email from SouthWest electricals that we need to connect to AGL in preparation for the upcoming construction

Grace33

Wow Grace in so happy for you...that was quick indeed...how long from frame to now?

Has any one had a farm sink put in their kitchen?

Tom2016
tapasr_Lexia4
newb

How much extra are we talking about newb? Our electrical appointment is on the 27th so unless our other mates here can give us any info as to what they have done or what they could have done then that whittled be great for us who are just about to ink and finalise our electricals then that would be great

Some of the other things we did at electrical
Lights down the side of the house
Extra circuits for power ( allows splitting later)
Smoke alarm on standalone circuit (as fire fighters we go to many houses with hard wired smoke alarm and the only thing you can do is turn the light circuit off then you got no lights till they fixed)
Sensor activated lights out the front facade
Data points (hills home hub wasn't worth it for us)
2 & 3 way switching in certian areas
Outside power points
SPA circuits
Tv points
Phone points as well as lead in inside main power trench
Extra light points
Power in

Hi, sorry what do you mean by power in?
tapasr_Lexia4
kdrb2016

That's interesting kdrb. We're not in the construction stage yet but we hit an email from SouthWest electricals that we need to connect to AGL in preparation for the upcoming construction

AGL contacted me to organise connection not long after commencement letter. Beechwood sent them the request for a NMI, did they not do that for you?
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum