Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 738 of 862
lizbf85
Hi all! After two weeks of moving and organising i can finally say we are some what settled. Apart from a few issues with plumping everything so far has been ok. We managed to get all our skirting down ontop of our floors to avoid the ugly quad, a bit of work but so worth the outcome. Heating is keeping the house nice and toasty!!

Heres a photo of our dining. ( i know someone wanted to see our sheers)

Your floors looking amazing Liz, so does the dining table and sheers! Can't wait to see more pics

Our 37sq Custom Hamptons Inspired Home:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86931
Hi Guys,

Our contract appointment is coming up in a couple weeks and I would just like to know if anyone has tried to change or revise any part of the PD standard contract. We're not planning to have it reviewed by a solicitor, not sure if they do any good at all..

Any advise please? Thanks!
Hi Phoenix,

I guess it would depend on what you want to change, I know people who have changed the amount that PD pay them if they go over schedule.
Phoenix
Hi Guys,

Our contract appointment is coming up in a couple weeks and I would just like to know if anyone has tried to change or revise any part of the PD standard contract. We're not planning to have it reviewed by a solicitor, not sure if they do any good at all..

We changed the payment schedule as the PD one was paying them the money at an earlier stage than what the HIA standard says. It probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference (unless PD goes bust!) but we figured we might as well be getting the interest on the money rather than PD. We'd told them about this well in advance of contract but they still ended up doing it as a PCV for some reason.

Porter DavisHIA
Deposit5%5%
Base20%10%
Frame25%15%
Lock Up20%35%
Fixing20%25%
Completion10%10%
100%100%
nikil
Hi Phoenix,

I guess it would depend on what you want to change, I know people who have changed the amount that PD pay them if they go over schedule.

Hi NIkil,

Did PD allow this? Would be great if we can to cover ourselves for any delays as we are renting plus paying the land and home mortgages and interest...

Cheers!
Write reply...
Hurrow
Phoenix
Hi Guys,

We changed the payment schedule as the PD one was paying them the money at an earlier stage than what the HIA standard says. It probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference (unless PD goes bust!) but we figured we might as well be getting the interest on the money rather than PD. We'd told them about this well in advance of contract but they still ended up doing it as a PCV for some reason.

Porter DavisHIA
Deposit5%5%
Base20%10%
Frame25%15%
Lock Up20%35%
Fixing20%25%
Completion10%10%
100%100%

We initially wanted to change to HIA but our lending manager was not too worried, so we left it as is. Our BC had said it was no big deal to change to HIA standard.
Hurrow
Phoenix
Hi Guys,

Porter DavisHIA
Deposit5%5%
Base20%10%
Frame25%15%
Lock Up20%35%
Fixing20%25%
Completion10%10%
100%100%

Great Hurrow,

I'll try to do this as well. I wouldn't want to pay more than I need to and increase the amortisation unnecessarily or I can keep my money in the offset acct and reduce my interest payments
Thanks Hurrow!
Phoenix
nikil
Hi Phoenix,

Hi NIkil,

Did PD allow this? Would be great if we can to cover ourselves for any delays as we are renting plus paying the land and home mortgages and interest...

Cheers!
naziac
Write reply...
We initially wanted to change to HIA but our lending manager was not too worried, so we left it as is. Our BC had said it was no big deal to change to HIA standard.

The two main things we were worried about were losing interest on our money (or for other people having to pay extra interest on their loan) and that if PD went under that we would have put more money into the house than it was worth at whatever stage of building it was at. In any case they didn't have any problem with changing the payment schedule, our BC needed approval from the manager but this wasn't an issue.
Yes they did allow it. They changed it from $250 a week to $450 a week to cover their rent. Be aware though, If there is a delay caused by you then you have to pay PD the same agreed amount.
Write reply...
Momiji
naziac
We've just engaged Darbecca for all their inspections with the first one being done in 2 days. Depending on weather I suppose! With so many positive comments on this forum we didn't look at anyone else.

We also went with Darbecca and opted for all the inspections except one. Like you, we didn't look elsewhere because of the comments on HomeOne. Two things to note though:

1. since 2017 (2016 was fine), their bookings are getting tighter and it is being felt by the inspectors. One inspector complained to me about his schedule at one of my inspections and even showed me his iPad calendar and complained that the 'girls in the office' don't care and book all the appointments all over melb with insufficient travel time and not enough buffer time to inspect more complicated jobs. I had to console him even...

2. all inspections where I've been on site, from the get go when meeting the inspector, you will be offered a long lecture of why building with volume builders is not wise and that you should pay an extra few hundred grand to get a proper house. He even gave my Site Supervisor the same lecture at a separate meeting and that he shouldn't work for volume builders!! He was outrightly offending him as well. He is so passionate about being an inspector that he fails to understand the client/business relationship. Offending ppl left right and centre. I asked him to explain what one of the blue markers was for and he replies with "if I have to explain every single defect to you we would be here all day and I wouldn't finish". I had to remind him that Darbecca offer clients to be present so assumed we could ask a question or two, not walk through the entire defect list. (He was happy to use 10min of my inspection time to complain to me about his schedule and how the 'girls' aren't doing a good job though!) He then explained the blue marked defect but continued to explain all the defects in the rooms downstairs but I wasn't interested in those. I had to stop him and remind him to get back to it or he'll be really late to his next appointment. I always walk away feeling like total $hit. I no longer chose to be present for our inspections. In 2016 they were not stressed and the meetings were nicer.

So yes, they do offer great inspection REPORTS and my site supervisor always addresses every item, (even though it's caused significant delays/cost) but beware the inspectors are so under the pump that it's impacting their relations with clients and who knows if they have to cut short an inspection because they need to rush off to the next one.

The other recommended inspection company is NewHomes Inspection but I never looked them up. My site supervisor said in his experience, Darbecca and New Homes were the most thorough inspectors.

Just something to think about for those looking for inspectors.

Thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me to attend the inspections with them. I know for sure I'd be really annoyed with an insensitive conversation like that. I will double check when making appointment, how much time they get allocated onsite.
Phoenix
Hurrow

Porter DavisHIA
Deposit5%5%
Base20%10%
Frame25%15%
Lock Up20%35%
Fixing20%25%
Completion10%10%
100%100%

Great Hurrow,

I'll try to do this as well. I wouldn't want to pay more than I need to and increase the amortisation unnecessarily or I can keep my money in the offset acct and reduce my interest payments
Thanks Hurrow!

I don't think it's a huge amount of money involved but it might as well be working for us than PD!

I was reading your blog and the font makes it hard to see decimal places so I thought the tiles you were doing after handover were $79,272 rather than $792.72 and was thinking wow that is a phenomenal amount of money to be spending on tiles!
Write reply...
lizbf85
Hi all! After two weeks of moving and organising i can finally say we are some what settled. Apart from a few issues with plumping everything so far has been ok. We managed to get all our skirting down ontop of our floors to avoid the ugly quad, a bit of work but so worth the outcome. Heating is keeping the house nice and toasty!!

Heres a photo of our dining. ( i know someone wanted to see our sheers)

That looks absolutely stunning. I'm thinking of floor to ceiling sheers too. Just worried how it will be during winter though? Can I ask what flooring do you have?
nikil
Yes they did allow it. They changed it from $250 a week to $450 a week to cover their rent. Be aware though, If there is a delay caused by you then you have to pay PD the same agreed amount.

Oh good point of warning. That would be terrible if we had to pay them.

Phoenix
nikil
Hi Phoenix,

Hi NIkil,

Cheers!

yes they have to allow it becasue its standard, we got our changed straight away via a PCV
naziac
Write reply...
That looks absolutely stunning. I'm thinking of floor to ceiling sheers too. Just worried how it will be during winter though? Can I ask what flooring do you have?

Thank you
Do you mean becasue of the cold? we have blockout rollers in the recess for those large windows as well, this also keeps the privacy at night. The heating as i mentioned is great!!

we have flooring through harvey norman, its the classica XL florence.
was cheaper to external for better quality and the look we wanted to create. it looks different in all lights but here is another, and our skirt minus quads

naziac
Write reply...

You can also see in this pic the rollers im referring too behind the sheers.
Oh and a little part of our kitchen, excuse the bad quailty of the photo
lizbf85
naziac
Write reply...

I like the white on white colour scheme for your kitchen, my wife and I were thinking about doing the same but weren't sure how it would look and ended up going with a brownish/gray benchtop instead. You didn't want overhead cabinets I take it?
Hurrow
lizbf85
naziac
Write reply...

I like the white on white colour scheme for your kitchen, my wife and I were thinking about doing the same but weren't sure how it would look and ended up going with a brownish/gray benchtop instead. You didn't want overhead cabinets I take it?

oh no we have a heap of overheads haha just in the galley, full cabinetry.
once our pendants go in over the bench and table itll look complete. I shall try snap a few more pics this weekend. Yes the grey is my fav, thats what we have in our bathrooms
Write reply...
lizbf85
naziac
Write reply...

Love love the white kitchen! We have gone with white as well, hubby had many reservations but I love how it looks timeless. And clean! Think we may have the same splash back tiles, I don't have the name wiht me at the moment. We are getting it done in Herringbone lay.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum