Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 737 of 862
We are going with Darbecca too

WoS appointment tomorrow. We are building the Madison 40

This forum has been so helpful in directing my attention to where it needs to be and helped me put together a list of questions

Anyone else built a Madison 40 or 45? Ive got a question re the stair case - does the ballaustrading (sp) extend from the stair case to the landing or is the landing finished in plaster and to extend it around the stair case opening is an upgrade? If so does anyone have a rough idea of what this costs? We are just going with the included stair case
Madison40builder
We are going with Darbecca too

WoS appointment tomorrow. We are building the Madison 40

This forum has been so helpful in directing my attention to where it needs to be and helped me put together a list of questions

Anyone else built a Madison 40 or 45? Ive got a question re the stair case - does the ballaustrading (sp) extend from the stair case to the landing or is the landing finished in plaster and to extend it around the stair case opening is an upgrade? If so does anyone have a rough idea of what this costs? We are just going with the included stair case

Hi Madison 40 builder,

We are also building Madison 40, the balustrades extend around the void area without an upgrade. When we paid deposit last year ,we had free classic option 2 ( stained timber) in the deal but we paid $2000 to reverse the stairs

Thanks Newhouse 22
yes we have the classic option 2 for the stairs

Good news re the balustrade - that's a few $$ I can save. Im so worried about WoS appointment, I think its the complete lack of knowledge of prices

did you upgrade your bricks? we are looking at a category 3 brick, not sure what that will cost and also the white/off white mortar
Madison40builder
Thanks Newhouse 22
yes we have the classic option 2 for the stairs

Good news re the balustrade - that's a few $$ I can save. Im so worried about WoS appointment, I think its the complete lack of knowledge of prices

did you upgrade your bricks? we are looking at a category 3 brick, not sure what that will cost and also the white/off white mortar

No we went with cat 1 ( homestead buff)

We've just engaged Darbecca for all their inspections with the first one being done in 2 days. Depending on weather I suppose! With so many positive comments on this forum we didn't look at anyone else.
naziac
We've just engaged Darbecca for all their inspections with the first one being done in 2 days. Depending on weather I suppose! With so many positive comments on this forum we didn't look at anyone else.

We also went with Darbecca and opted for all the inspections except one. Like you, we didn't look elsewhere because of the comments on HomeOne. Two things to note though:

1. since 2017 (2016 was fine), their bookings are getting tighter and it is being felt by the inspectors. One inspector complained to me about his schedule at one of my inspections and even showed me his iPad calendar and complained that the 'girls in the office' don't care and book all the appointments all over melb with insufficient travel time and not enough buffer time to inspect more complicated jobs. I had to console him even...

2. all inspections where I've been on site, from the get go when meeting the inspector, you will be offered a long lecture of why building with volume builders is not wise and that you should pay an extra few hundred grand to get a proper house. He even gave my Site Supervisor the same lecture at a separate meeting and that he shouldn't work for volume builders!! He was outrightly offending him as well. He is so passionate about being an inspector that he fails to understand the client/business relationship. Offending ppl left right and centre. I asked him to explain what one of the blue markers was for and he replies with "if I have to explain every single defect to you we would be here all day and I wouldn't finish". I had to remind him that Darbecca offer clients to be present so assumed we could ask a question or two, not walk through the entire defect list. (He was happy to use 10min of my inspection time to complain to me about his schedule and how the 'girls' aren't doing a good job though!) He then explained the blue marked defect but continued to explain all the defects in the rooms downstairs but I wasn't interested in those. I had to stop him and remind him to get back to it or he'll be really late to his next appointment. I always walk away feeling like total $hit. I no longer chose to be present for our inspections. In 2016 they were not stressed and the meetings were nicer.

So yes, they do offer great inspection REPORTS and my site supervisor always addresses every item, (even though it's caused significant delays/cost) but beware the inspectors are so under the pump that it's impacting their relations with clients and who knows if they have to cut short an inspection because they need to rush off to the next one.

The other recommended inspection company is NewHomes Inspection but I never looked them up. My site supervisor said in his experience, Darbecca and New Homes were the most thorough inspectors.

Just something to think about for those looking for inspectors.

For those building a double storey with gas heating plus add on AC (uses same single duct work), has anyone noticed the ducting downstairs is different type of ducting upstairs? We have thinner silver downstairs and thicker black ducting upstairs. I've asked my supervisor to clarify why it's different and awaiting response. The Brivis site states that all ducting must be R1.5 rated but not sure why different ducting would be used in different floors.

Momiji
naziac

We also went with Darbecca and opted for all the inspections except one. Like you, we didn't look elsewhere because of the comments on HomeOne. Two things to note though:

1. since 2017 (2016 was fine), their bookings are getting tighter and it is being felt by the inspectors. One inspector complained to me about his schedule at one of my inspections and even showed me his iPad calendar and complained that the 'girls in the office' don't care and book all the appointments all over melb with insufficient travel time and not enough buffer time to inspect more complicated jobs. I had to console him even...

2. all inspections where I've been on site, from the get go when meeting the inspector, you will be offered a long lecture of why building with volume builders is not wise and that you should pay an extra few hundred grand to get a proper house. He even gave my Site Supervisor the same lecture at a separate meeting and that he shouldn't work for volume builders!! He was outrightly offending him as well. He is so passionate about being an inspector that he fails to understand the client/business relationship. Offending ppl left right and centre. I asked him to explain what one of the blue markers was for and he replies with "if I have to explain every single defect to you we would be here all day and I wouldn't finish". I had to remind him that Darbecca offer clients to be present so assumed we could ask a question or two, not walk through the entire defect list. (He was happy to use 10min of my inspection time to complain to me about his schedule and how the 'girls' aren't doing a good job though!) He then explained the blue marked defect but continued to explain all the defects in the rooms downstairs but I wasn't interested in those. I had to stop him and remind him to get back to it or he'll be really late to his next appointment. I always walk away feeling like total $hit. I no longer chose to be present for our inspections. In 2016 they were not stressed and the meetings were nicer.

So yes, they do offer great inspection REPORTS and my site supervisor always addresses every item, (even though it's caused significant delays/cost) but beware the inspectors are so under the pump that it's impacting their relations with clients and who knows if they have to cut short an inspection because they need to rush off to the next one.

The other recommended inspection company is NewHomes Inspection but I never looked them up. My site supervisor said in his experience, Darbecca and New Homes were the most thorough inspectors.

This is interesting information. We have not attended an inspection yet. Makes me wonder whether it is best to keep out and let them make the most of their limited time on site.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Momiji
naziac

This is interesting information. We have not attended an inspection yet. Makes me wonder whether it is best to keep out and let them make the most of their limited time on site.

Can I ask at which stage of build you notify PD that you hired third party inspector, rather than their own? Thanks
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Momiji
[quote="naziac"]We've just engaged Darbecca for all their inspections with the first one being done in 2 days. Depending on weather I suppose! With so many positive comments on this forum we didn't look at anyone else.

Can I ask at which stage of build you notify PD that you hired third party inspector, rather than their own? Thanks[/quote]

I told them at sales and at tender and at contract hehe. Essentially I wanted to keep confirming with different parties it was ok. But I think you can let them know anytime as there's no separate process they follow if you use an independent inspector.

Momiji
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="Momiji"][quote="naziac"]We've just engaged Darbecca for all their inspections with the first one being done in 2 days. Depending on weather I suppose! With so many positive comments on this forum we didn't look at anyone else.

Can I ask at which stage of build you notify PD that you hired third party inspector, rather than their own? Thanks[/quote]

I told them at sales and at tender and at contract hehe. Essentially I wanted to keep confirming with different parties it was ok. But I think you can let them know anytime as there's no separate process they follow if you use an independent inspector.

[/quote]
Hi Momiji, thanks for the info. I will definitely let them know at tender and contract. Cheers

By law they can't do anything about you having a private inspector.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Hi all! After two weeks of moving and organising i can finally say we are some what settled. Apart from a few issues with plumping everything so far has been ok. We managed to get all our skirting down ontop of our floors to avoid the ugly quad, a bit of work but so worth the outcome. Heating is keeping the house nice and toasty!!

Heres a photo of our dining. ( i know someone wanted to see our sheers)

Great news Liz! Hope you're enjoying your new home, have you got more pics?
lizbf85
Hi all! After two weeks of moving and organising i can finally say we are some what settled. Apart from a few issues with plumping everything so far has been ok. We managed to get all our skirting down ontop of our floors to avoid the ugly quad, a bit of work but so worth the outcome. Heating is keeping the house nice and toasty!!

Looks very nice. Love the curtains. That's what we are thinking of putting in all over most of the house.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Love the table. Curtains look nice. How are you settling in.
Momiji

NEW HOMES were fantastic, very accommodating at being on site for specific time and all the chopping and changing we had with PD. they were worth every cent!!! we had Colin who was terrific.
Yes they pick up every detail and some things that are really not much of an issue. In saying that though we liked being across all of it to avoid ever having to deal with this company again.
Hi Momiji, thanks for the info. I will definitely let them know at tender and contract. Cheers

The office didnt seem to bat an eyelid when we mentioned our independent, so long as your SS knows thats all that matters.
icat2000
Love the table. Curtains look nice. How are you settling in.

Thank you! settling in well, i've had some nice time off to really start organizing everything. Our 2 year old is loving life with the huge amount of space. More pics to come.

We had all of our down-lights, dimmers, and extra power points also put in over Easter. As well as a couple of new taps, foxtel, driveways, you name it! Its been a very busy 2 weeks that's for sure. It actually amazing to come to work and not have the house in the back of my mind the entire day, feeling a lot more productive and can finally just enjoy life without all the stress!

hope to get our fireplace and pendants in the next couple of weeks too!!
lizbf85

Love the ceiling to floor sheers Liz. Very nice.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum