Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes - The next thread 4.0

Page 730 of 730
[quote="Fisher75"]Hi Everyone,

Just wanted your opinion on the situation. I've built with Masterton, recently I had a flood downstairs, because the shower drain got a bit clogged and the water filled up about 15mm. It did not go outside of shower cabin. As the water was going through the drain some of it went under the tiles travelled to the bathtub drain area and went downstairs. Apparently there is a gap between the shower drain pipe and the drain hole, which is according to Masterton "by design", and this allows the water to travel between the floor tiles and the waterproofing. There supposed to be a little barrier around the hole in the floor where the bathtub drain pipe goes through. Apparently it is either not sealed or the water goes above it. Masterton called a waterproofer, who inspected the bathroom and said he will tell Masterton how to fix it.
Masterton came back to me later saying this is not their problem, as "the water filled above the angle which allows the water to go where ever. There is not water proofing problem. Need to keep floor waste free of body hair". I asked for a copy water proofer's report, so I have something in writing. Never got it. I refuse to believe that hair in the drain should be causing floods downstairs as long as the water does not leave the tiled floor of the bathroom.
What do you think?
I would write to product review, I find companies action complaints on there as it's bad for there reputation Good Luck with it all
Fisher75
Have you tried writing on Product Review this usually gets companies actioning complaints quicker as it's bad for there reputation .
Good waterproofers do the whole area of the bathroom up to 150mm above the raw floor height. Masterton and many project home builders do the bare minimum and only cover the puddle flange and corners. I don’t know how you have a shower and not realise that it is pooling but even if it does pool a shower should cope with water retention rather than spilling under the tiles.
This is almost the building standards fault rather than the actually water proofing as the standard allows them to only partially seal a bathroom. I’ve seen our water proofing in the project home vs a timer who redid an ensuite for us. I know which one won’t leak ever.

Good luck with you fight but persist.

marina12
Fisher75
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted your opinion on the situation. I've built with Masterton, recently I had a flood downstairs, because the shower drain got a bit clogged and the water filled up about 15mm. It did not go outside of shower cabin. As the water was going through the drain some of it went under the tiles travelled to the bathtub drain area and went downstairs. Apparently there is a gap between the shower drain pipe and the drain hole, which is according to Masterton "by design", and this allows the water to travel between the floor tiles and the waterproofing. There supposed to be a little barrier around the hole in the floor where the bathtub drain pipe goes through. Apparently it is either not sealed or the water goes above it. Masterton called a waterproofer, who inspected the bathroom and said he will tell Masterton how to fix it.
Masterton came back to me later saying this is not their problem, as "the water filled above the angle which allows the water to go where ever. There is not water proofing problem. Need to keep floor waste free of body hair". I asked for a copy water proofer's report, so I have something in writing. Never got it. I refuse to believe that hair in the drain should be causing floods downstairs as long as the water does not leave the tiled floor of the bathroom.
What do you think?
I would write to product review, I find companies action complaints on there as it's bad for there reputation Good Luck with it all
marina12
Fisher75
Have you tried writing on Product Review this usually gets companies actioning complaints quicker as it's bad for there reputation .

I will, and also will engage the Office of Fair Trading and their insurance. But before that I want to understand if this is a defect and their fault. This is my main question. I am attaching the diagram on how I think the leak happens to better explain the problem.
brettbert
Good waterproofers do the whole area of the bathroom up to 150mm above the raw floor height. Masterton and many project home builders do the bare minimum and only cover the puddle flange and corners. I don’t know how you have a shower and not realise that it is pooling but even if it does pool a shower should cope with water retention rather than spilling under the tiles.
This is almost the building standards fault rather than the actually water proofing as the standard allows them to only partially seal a bathroom. I’ve seen our water proofing in the project home vs a timer who redid an ensuite for us. I know which one won’t leak ever.

Good luck with you fight but persist.

marina12
Fisher75
Hi Everyone,

What do you think?

This is the bathroom kids use, so when they were younger they used the bath tab and the shower was used not frequently. So it never got clogged and never puddled before. Now the kids started using the shower more and once it clogged I got flooding downstairs. I am trying to check it on regular basis, but would prefer a shower that copes with a bit of a puddling.
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum