Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 718 of 723
We are in the very very early stages of building our own home - no contracts signed yet, and MCJ is our preferred builder based on the floor plans display homes that we've seen. Is there anything I should be aware of in these early stages? Anything you wish you had done differently at the start?
Hi everyone!
Just paid our tender deposit with MJH to build the Saxonvale.
Pretty excited! We already have our tender variation back (4 days) which is amazing. And our pre selections tour is already booked for next week.
Any advice for these early stages?
Hi Samantha

I would just go through and work out what you really want, and break it down into what really needs to be done up front to work vs what can be done post handover. If there are any appliance packages then take them, if you don't like the appliances you can always change them later on. Only area to watch is cooktops, if you cut through a stone cooktop for a certain sized cooktop then its better to have the cooktop you want up front. Wall ovens etc are built to a standard size.

Good luck with it all.
Hi Everyone,

I'm after advice on what people have negotiated with liquidated damages in their contracts. We are looking at building with MDJ we have heard good, bad and indifferent comments. Always interested to hear from different people. Also interested in how detailed people were in listing the progression payments in their contract. How specific were you in listing what needs to be completed before the payment was made.
Hi.

Our solicitor tried to get them to increase the daily liquidated damages rate but they refused point blank.

They set out in the contract when you are required to pay the progress payments. I highly doubt that you would be allowed change this and you must pay it when they ask. We found from time to time that we were billed for a certain stage in the build, only to find the work was not complete when we went to the site.
SamanthaS
Hi everyone!
Just paid our tender deposit with MJH to build the Saxonvale.
Pretty excited! We already have our tender variation back (4 days) which is amazing. And our pre selections tour is already booked for next week.
Any advice for these early stages?

Hi Samantha

We had our plan presentation appointment a couple of weeks ago. We're building the Edenvale.

Just treat the pre-selection as a training run. Take photos, ask questions, and try not to be overwhelmed

Don't let them pressure you into anything or sign anything on the day at your plan presentation either.

Hope this helps...
nikel66
Hi.

Our solicitor tried to get them to increase the daily liquidated damages rate but they refused point blank.

They set out in the contract when you are required to pay the progress payments. I highly doubt that you would be allowed change this and you must pay it when they ask. We found from time to time that we were billed for a certain stage in the build, only to find the work was not complete when we went to the site.

Thanks for the info. Lots of complaints on the fair trading site for MJH.
Hi All,
Just wanted to check if anyone has done flooring from outside, not the builder and how did it work, with the skirting and waterfall edge if the flooring is done after handover ??
Hi Kery

I believe that if you elect to do flooring post handover then the skirting boards are not applied and are left in the garage for you to sort out yourself after the flooring goes in. For a waterfall end I think you would be left with the flooring butting up to the edge of it rather than the waterfall end sitting on top.

I think that you would need to compare builders prices vs flooring post build to get a better idea which way will be better for you cost and time wise.
Grakat
Hi Kery

I believe that if you elect to do flooring post handover then the skirting boards are not applied and are left in the garage for you to sort out yourself after the flooring goes in. For a waterfall end I think you would be left with the flooring butting up to the edge of it rather than the waterfall end sitting on top.

I think that you would need to compare builders prices vs flooring post build to get a better idea which way will be better for you cost and time wise.

Thank you very much for the reply. Getting done out side is preferred. Better quality in a good price. Builders margin add up. Would hate the waterfall look with the beading surrounded if done after. Can’t decide.
sunshine202
Just thought I'd post an update. We are now in week 5 of construction of our Bronte Executive Lodge. So exciting to see our new home taking shape-happy with the progress so far!

We are looking at building a Bronte. How did you go working with MJH and the site supervisor. Did you have any hidden cost thrown at you. How did you find the quality of the build.
-Ela-
Hi all,

I have a question; we are at the beginning of the process of building a Bronte, we put our deposit down in June 2016 and have been to colours, electrical etc. We have finally had approval for the DA and the authority to commence from the bank was received by MJH before the approval of the DA. We were under the impression that was the final step and we then go onto the construction list, apparently that is not so as we wait for them to complete a "checklist". I received an email today that refers to "receiving the lodgement" - I have no idea what that means but sounds like it might take a while. We had really hoped to be in this house for Christmas and as the weeks tick by it is starting to look less likely.

Can anyone shed any light about how long it might be to get onto the construction list and what it is exactly that they are doing while we are just left hanging?

Thanks

Hi Ela,

We have just started the building process (initial tender). We also are looking at the Bronte and just wanted to know how your build went? Did you have a good supervisor or did you have problems along the way.
Just finished building a Havana Executive. Does anyone's banks/lenders NOT accept a interim certificate to realise the final payment?
Hi All,

We are at the early stages of building Hamilton 5. I'm at the deposit variation stage and they keep getting the position of our water tank wrong. We finally got it in writing correct but I would like to know after this stage is there a clear layout of our house and land which they measure exactly where the water tank will go? I'm scared after signing the deposit variation I wont be able to change this if they had a different idea of where it goes.
Thanks
Is your land registered?

Location of the water tank may not be up to you depending on the slope of the land.
Supercharger
Is your land registered?

Location of the water tank may not be up to you depending on the slope of the land.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

No our land isn't registered yet. We have been given the choice of the location and that of course depends on where our easements are. The location of the water tank has been approved so far.
I was just wondering in our next step is there going to be more of a clear plan our house and land. We have just been given a very basic copy of our floor plan and front/backyard and we drew on the paper where we would like the location of the water tank.
Our next step is Plan Appointment.
Taurian_ankit
Hi All,

We are building Miami 16 in Box Hill with some modifications to the standard floor plan. Initial deposit paid to MJH. We are exploring Casacde & Balinese Resort façade but struggling to make decision. So can anyone share some pics of either of these facades?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,

I am also building in Box Hill, in the Candlebark estate. Is your land registered? mine wont be until Jan- March next year ( well that's what they are saying at the moment). We are building Hamilton 5.
kmartin3
Supercharger
Is your land registered?

Hi,

No our land isn't registered yet. We have been given the choice of the location and that of course depends on where our easements are. The location of the water tank has been approved so far.
I was just wondering in our next step is there going to be more of a clear plan our house and land. We have just been given a very basic copy of our floor plan and front/backyard and we drew on the paper where we would like the location of the water tank.

Plan presentation will be more exact as you will be provided with a full set of plans beforehand with the water tank location clearaly indicated. Depending on your preference you may be able to move it at that stage.
Supercharger
kmartin3
Supercharger
Is your land registered?

Hi,

Plan presentation will be more exact as you will be provided with a full set of plans beforehand with the water tank location clearaly indicated. Depending on your preference you may be able to move it at that stage.

Okay thanks heaps!
We are also doing a Hamilton 5 and had our tank located in the backyard at the plan presentation which was well before our land registration. I requested that it be located in the designated tank nook BUT they advised we'd have to wait for registration and engineering. When we registered the land they advised that there was not enough room in the tank nook as we needed a retaining wall and only have 950mm to the boundary from the house. When I referred to the plan presentation discussion and follow up email regarding the position of the tank they suggested we set the wall behind the tank nook (dining room) back 150mm to fit the tank. Problem solved. Make sure that all your discussions are confirmed in writing / email.
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum