Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 713 of 723
leo_1_in2001
-Ela-
Hi all,

I have a question; we are at the beginning of the process of building a Bronte, we put our deposit down in June 2016 and have been to colours, electrical etc. We have finally had approval for the DA and the authority to commence from the bank was received by MJH before the approval of the DA. We were under the impression that was the final step and we then go onto the construction list, apparently that is not so as we wait for them to complete a "checklist". I received an email today that refers to "receiving the lodgement" - I have no idea what that means but sounds like it might take a while. We had really hoped to be in this house for Christmas and as the weeks tick by it is starting to look less likely.

Can anyone shed any light about how long it might be to get onto the construction list and what it is exactly that they are doing while we are just left hanging?

Thanks

Hi Ela,

We are on same boat as well. We received CDC approval last week and my lender also provided the ACC letter as well.

Based on some of my friends experience it's pretty quick after that evacuation should start in 1 week time.

Where you guys building?

We're on the south coast NSW.

Thought I'd share some pics of our Bronte. These are of the back of the house-the roofers started today. The roof color ended up being one of our hardest decisions and going into our colors appt we were still undecided what to go with. Our color consultant was fantastic though and the decision ended up being made quickly during our appt. Really happy with the basalt color we decided on!
That looks great Sunshine, what colour are your windows?

We are having a basalt roof as well, we have an existing shed in basalt on the block and we are really happy with the colour.
Windows are surfmist 😊
Just wondering if anybody has built the Manhattan 1. How do you find the living/dining area ?

We haven't started building just yet (we've only just got the soil/contour tests done).

We're now thinking we should have gone with the Manhattan 2, because we could have opened up the wall to the Home Theatre and added sliding doors to the alfresco so there was more flow through with more light. Not sure why we didn’t choose this model to start with. We're first timers who didn't have much grasp on how things work.

I think its now way too late to make any changes but just wondering if maybe we could put a skylight in over the dining area. Does anyone know if this is possible?
nikel66
Just wondering if anybody has built the Manhattan 1. How do you find the living/dining area ?

We haven't started building just yet (we've only just got the soil/contour tests done) but we saw a completed Manhattan 1 in the flesh and were really disappointed with how small and dark the dining/living room space was.

We're now thinking we should have gone with the Manhattan 2, because we could have opened up the wall to the Home Theatre and added sliding doors to the alfresco so there was more flow through with more light. Not sure why we didn’t choose this model to start with. We're first timers who didn't have much grasp on how things work.

I think its now way too late to make any changes but just wondering if maybe the place we saw felt smaller because it had a darker colour scheme (we've gone pretty light). We're going to ask MJH if they can at least put a skylight in over the dining area. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Have you signed the contract yet? If not you can make variations. I'm not familiar with the plans and the differences between the two but you can def make changes with no additional charges (other than the cost of the changes) up until contract signing.

As for us, now the project coordinator is not returning my calls and it will be 4 weeks on Friday since I hand delivered the final approval from council, I thought our site would've been pegged, scraped and at least piered by now. I'm really disappointed

nikel66

We haven't started building just yet (we've only just got the soil/contour tests done) but we saw a completed Manhattan 1 in the flesh and were really disappointed with how small and dark the dining/living room space was.

I think its now way too late to make any changes but just wondering if maybe the place we saw felt smaller because it had a darker colour scheme (we've gone pretty light). We're going to ask MJH if they can at least put a skylight in over the dining area. Does anyone know if this is possible?

We built the Manhattan 2 for the same reasons you have stated. Added Stacker Doors to the Alfresco & opened up the wall to the Home Theater room. Even now it could do with a Skylight.
-Ela-
nikel66

Have you signed the contract yet? If not you can make variations. I'm not familiar with the plans and the differences between the two but you can def make changes with no additional charges (other than the cost of the changes) up until contract signing.

As for us, now the project coordinator is not returning my calls and it will be 4 weeks on Friday since I hand delivered the final approval from council, I thought our site would've been pegged, scraped and at least piered by now. I'm really disappointed

We've signed already but our project coordinator and one of the directors were very understanding and said they would allow the changes. We thought very deeply about and may just leave as is and see how we go.

I hope your coordinator gets in touch soon, it must be hugely frustrating.
creedyflyr
nikel66

We built the Manhattan 2 for the same reasons you have stated. Added Stacker Doors to the Alfresco & opened up the wall to the Home Theater room. Even now it could do with a Skylight.http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s358/creedyflyr/Lounge%20Pano%202_zpsytspyrwj.jpg

Your house looks great - nice and open and good flow through to the yard.
Good news today!! We are on the construction list, the neighbours also saw two MJH utes go down our driveway and into our block, at last!

Hi
We are planning on building a Sierra home and would love some photos if anyone has any as we are concerned about the 26 degreee roof pitch . We have chosen the Chase Facade and would love photos of that as well.

Hope someone has some photos. Thanks
Sandrandross

I wouldnt have thought you would need wall wrap building in Port Macquarie ... i undrerstand it is used mostly in the colder cliimate areas. THe 26 deg roof pitch is a steeper pitch than most builders use .> It tends to make your home look bigger and certainly better , more grand from the street . Being steeper makes it higher and i believe you can stand up to walk through the roof area once you move in... ,
Thanks for the reply and your thoughts on the wall wrap. We checked it out and came to the same conclusion that
we dont need it here. We spent the day driving around looking at roof pitches because we were concerned that
the 26 deg might be too high for our house as its not very wide. We have decided to go with it even though Im not
100% sure.Everyone tells me it will look better and everyone cant be wrong can they?
Has anybody had any issues with McDonald Jones not letting a building inspector through before they've signed the PCI ?

It seems to be an ongoing battle with the issues we have been having with them.
This should not be an issue unless they are about to hand you keys to a sub-standard house. I had one go in and he noted in his reports lot of things that are considered defects, below Australian Standards and Tolerances.

As an example, how is a lay-man supposed to know that 'gaps larger than 3mm to the exterior of the building' are deemed defects (Brickwork-AS4455)? They could've gotten away with it if it wasn't for the Building Inspection report I got.

The $500-800 for a thorough inspection and report is very little price to pay in the grand scheme of things...and for extra peace of mind.

Still did not get the quality of the house that I was expecting and paid for. Among a number of items, could've asked them to repaint huge sections of the house but that would've dragged the hand-over. But given we were paying almost a full mortgage and rent at at that time, we just have to get the keys and move in.

This is speaking from experience as there would be a good number of very happy and satisfied customers.
Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.
We are not at that stage yet but we asked about it early on and were given a form to complete for another person to be on site if we wanted to get an inspector in at any stage. We haven't found one that is willing to do the job for less than $1500 a visit yet though (that doesn't include any written reports or anything), so we haven't filled in the form yet.

Anyone needing one for any stage of the build in Syd area, please let me know as the one I got charged me $550 prior to PCI. This includes a report with photos and standards relating to defects or substandard items.
Really good reviews as well for this particular inspector.

PM me if you want his details.
Okkan
Hi guys, very long time reader but first time poster here.

We (my mother and i) have up until this point found dealing with MJH a pleasure except for the time the lady who was going through our plans with us blasted our sales rep on our own mobile phone, but that is a story for another time.

We have noticed that, even after asking many times during the early stages whether they would be centered accordingly, that the windows in some of our extended and added rooms are not centered to the wall and look absolutely appalling.

Our Site Supervisor originally had said to us, they are the plans i have been given and the plans you went through, you must contact the office.

To which we contacted our CLO and was told we would receive a call, we again received a call from our Site Supervisor saying that it is unfortunate that nobody in the drafting team or you guys picked it up during the planning but at this point we would not be able to make any changes as it would prolong the build period.

Our site supervisor has been great and we understand that it is not his fault, but we are having trouble with our CLO, promised return phones calls, not answering messages, with both my mother and i trying to contact him.

I find it difficult to believe with the amount of staff and i'm guessing the proof reading that needs to be done it was not picked up on, nor when i asked many times during the early stages about it.

Again contacting our CLO he has promised answers and management to call us to which we still have not heard back from.

The Site Supervisor has now contacted my mother saying they would continue on with the build at this stage until we get some more news.

I have spoken to fair trading and as part of their advice lodged a claim, they have told me to do this as it takes up to 14 days to go through and if the issue has been resolved beforehand it can be withdrawn, with regards to being resolved i highly doubt that will be the case according to the phone call my Mum received.

We are extremely disappointed to be spending this much money and not having something as simple as straight windows.

To give you an idea of the cost of our colours and extensions we have a final bill of over $400k for a CORDOVA on a flat block!

If anybody could provide us with some advice, please, we are all ears, we do not care about the time it takes to fix as long as we are partially credited until the problem is resolved so we are not paying interest on incomplete work!

Thanks, Okkan.

Hi Mate, Sorry about the very late reply

It is a very difficult process but you really just need persevere.

We have had some luck with our windows and happy it has been fixed, we are still waiting on some of the brick work to be fixed.

Have you had any luck ?
-Ela-
We are not at that stage yet but we asked about it early on and were given a form to complete for another person to be on site if we wanted to get an inspector in at any stage. We haven't found one that is willing to do the job for less than $1500 a visit yet though (that doesn't include any written reports or anything), so we haven't filled in the form yet.

Ela, there are plenty around, are you based in Sydney : ?

If so, most that i have contacted have not quoted more then $450-$650 .
Spronkly
This should not be an issue unless they are about to hand you keys to a sub-standard house. I had one go in and he noted in his reports lot of things that are considered defects, below Australian Standards and Tolerances.

As an example, how is a lay-man supposed to know that 'gaps larger than 3mm to the exterior of the building' are deemed defects (Brickwork-AS4455)? They could've gotten away with it if it wasn't for the Building Inspection report I got.

The $500-800 for a thorough inspection and report is very little price to pay in the grand scheme of things...and for extra peace of mind.

Still did not get the quality of the house that I was expecting and paid for. Among a number of items, could've asked them to repaint huge sections of the house but that would've dragged the hand-over. But given we were paying almost a full mortgage and rent at at that time, we just have to get the keys and move in.

This is speaking from experience as there would be a good number of very happy and satisfied customers.
Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I figured as such, they have now agreed to let a building inspector on site Thursday with our PCI on Friday.

Luckily there is no mortgage or rent on the current house we are living in so delay in hand over will not be a problem if there are any issues.

Honestly though we have been quite happy with the quality of work so far, but it just seems as though every time we bring up an issue it is just a blatant straight out no from them.
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum