Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis - Madison 40

Page 8 of 23
Ok, so you wouldn't believe this but our pole to pit application has been processed and we have a quote --- $4300

fademan
Ok, so you wouldn't believe this but our pole to pit application has been processed and we have a quote --- $4300

Ours was $5k
fademan
Lighting and flooring is doing my nut - Has anyone considered what they're going to use for fixtures?
Anyone know of a decent lighting joint in melbourne for chandeliers (particularly for the entry?).

We like these, but I'm just not sure if they are bit much?

http://www.feiss.com/fa2511-pg1/Summerd ... ection.htm

or

http://www.feiss.com/fa2503-pg1/Vintner-Collection.htm

or

http://www.feiss.com/fa954-pg1/Barringt ... ection.htm

Not sure if any of them really suit a hamptons type home. I feel like we're heading into french provisional (like the display).
Kinda struggling to be honest!

Hi Fademan
Check out Schots Home Emporium, they are at 400 Hoddle Street in Clifton and have a massive range of lighting products. I like them because their stuff is different, not the standard lights and pendants that you see everywhere.
They also have a Geelong store that has an even bigger range but its all on line at www.schots.com.au
Cheers Charly
Charly6s
fademan
Lighting and flooring is doing my nut - Has anyone considered what they're going to use for fixtures?
Anyone know of a decent lighting joint in melbourne for chandeliers (particularly for the entry?).

or

or

Not sure if any of them really suit a hamptons type home. I feel like we're heading into french provisional (like the display).

Hi Fademan
Check out Schots Home Emporium, they are at 400 Hoddle Street in Clifton and have a massive range of lighting products. I like them because their stuff is different, not the standard lights and pendants that you see everywhere.
They also have a Geelong store that has an even bigger range but its all on line at http://www.schots.com.au
Cheers Charly
Thanks mate for posting, I will take a look!

Charly6s
fademan

or

or

Hi Fademan
They also have a Geelong store that has an even bigger range but its all on line at http://www.schots.com.au
Cheers Charly

Yep couldnt agree more. We are getting the fireplace mantle from them actually. They do have some really nice lighting products. Definitely worth a visit.

Can I also add Temple & Webster Outlet in Richmond.
https://www.templeandwebster.com.au/Tan ... 54436.html
Hi Fademan,

I know of a chandelier shop in Camberwell, Melbourne.
Not sure if that helps you

House of Chandeliers
388 Burke Rd., Camberwell VIC 3124

I walk past it sometimes and they seem to have some nice ones

EDIT: Had a look for a website but they don't seem to have one!
I'm happy to go and take a snap of the front if you want to see what they have in the window?
Hi mate, thanks for the offer, I find photos of the shop on Google maps, and someone even took a 360 degree photo from inside! I must say though, lots of crystal chandeliers....bit too old school for us !

In other news, our BC rang today to say that they can't do a back lit coffered ceiling. I told her that they're doing it on the block, it can't be that hard, to no avail :/

Going to have to try and make that room special in another way, somehow. Would life suggestions !
Thanks also to Charlie and Gio, I'll check them out.

This is getting so close!
fademan

No worries, Can I check out your blog? It's invite only by the look of it
Charly6s
fademan

No worries, Can I check out your blog? It's invite only by the look of it
I should really take it out of my signature. I've only posted one thing, but meaning to do more....maybe once I get back from Singapore next week...

ISSUE WITH MY PANTRY/GALLEY WINDOW.

Ok peeps, earlier during the build it was brought to my attention that the window in the pantry in the Madison is lower than what is on the drawing. When it comes to windows, builder/carpenters work off the external elevation when they do the frame. On the elevation drawing it says 900mm from slab

At tender we decided to have a square set window with tiles all around.
So when you look at it, you see the benchtop > tiles > window > tiles and the overhead cupboard. As per the Pic below

The issue with mine was, I did not have the space to do the tiling between the top of the bench and the bottom of the window.
The window would sit flush with the benchtop, which still looks nice but it will leave too much of a gap to tile on top and that would look a bit weird to have a lot of space between the top of the window and the cupboard.

If I had a bigger window It would have been fine. I don't mind the window flush with the benchtop. It looks nice. Most displays have it flush with the benchtop. I just couldnt get a bigger window (was too late) as it would have to be custom built. And at this point in the construction it was too late anyway.

So to fix this, they had to cut the hebel externally, re-adjust the frame, raise the window and patch again with hebel and plaster inside.

Key take if you have tiles around your galley window:
If you are tiling around your galley window no matter which house you build, just ENSURE that the frame is CORRECT. Also ENSURE that all Windows in the house DOWNSTAIRS and UPSTAIRS and especially in Bathrooms that the window doesn't sit too low.

I have already provided this feedback to my BC and to pass it on to the drafting team so that this is not overlooked when they do the drawing. Just make sure you carefully look at yours if you plan to have tiles around your galley window.
How is everyone else going with their Madison build? Hope all is well. Here is the latest pics.

Option 5 Stairs - Landing will be done after Handover as it is a custom build job for Madison40. I couldn't get a quote on it at WoS. They only had quote for Madison45 landing.

External: Final coat render on ground floor happening next week. Should be same as upstairs.

Sideview
Gio
How is everyone else going with their Madison build? Hope all is well. Here is the latest pics.

Option 5 Stairs - Landing will be done after Handover as it is a custom build job for Madison40. I couldn't get a quote on it at WoS. They only had quote for Madison45 landing.

External: Final coat render on ground floor happening next week. Should be same as upstairs.

Sideview

Looks fantastic!

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
Gio

Ok peeps, earlier during the build it was brought to my attention that the window in the pantry in the Madison is lower than what is on the drawing. When it comes to windows, builder/carpenters work off the external elevation when they do the frame. On the elevation drawing it says 900mm from slab

So when you look at it, you see the benchtop > tiles > window > tiles and the overhead cupboard. As per the Pic below

The issue with mine was, I did not have the space to do the tiling between the top of the bench and the bottom of the window.
The window would sit flush with the benchtop, which still looks nice but it will leave too much of a gap to tile on top and that would look a bit weird to have a lot of space between the top of the window and the cupboard.

If I had a bigger window It would have been fine. I don't mind the window flush with the benchtop. It looks nice. Most displays have it flush with the benchtop. I just couldnt get a bigger window (was too late) as it would have to be custom built. And at this point in the construction it was too late anyway.

So to fix this, they had to cut the hebel externally, re-adjust the frame, raise the window and patch again with hebel and plaster inside.

If you are tiling around your galley window no matter which house you build, just ENSURE that the frame is CORRECT. Also ENSURE that all Windows in the house DOWNSTAIRS and UPSTAIRS and especially in Bathrooms that the window doesn't sit too low.

I have already provided this feedback to my BC and to pass it on to the drafting team so that this is not overlooked when they do the drawing. Just make sure you carefully look at yours if you plan to have tiles around your galley window.

Hi Gio, do you have before/after pictures that you can share? I think this may be something I may need to sort out with my build as we also have a similar situation with our Kitchen window in addition to the galley...

sinbox
Gio

Hi Gio, do you have before/after pictures that you can share? I think this may be something I may need to sort out with my build as we also have a similar situation with our Kitchen window in addition to the galley...

i had the same issue with a square set window and having no tiles, it took 3 months and many many emails including photos from a display home to finally sort it out. its important on the drawings that it says the window bottom must be the same as your bench height.

brucefil2011
sinbox
Gio

i had the same issue with a square set window and having no tiles, it took 3 months and many many emails including photos from a display home to finally sort it out. its important on the drawings that it says the window bottom must be the same as your bench height.

Did PD charge you anything extra for that finish? The above picture is exactly what I had in mind, and was assured that the finish would be the same as in the display Homes.

sinbox
brucefil2011
sinbox
[quote="Gio"]ISSUE WITH MY PANTRY/GALLEY WINDOW.

Did PD charge you anything extra for that finish? The above picture is exactly what I had in mind, and was assured that the finish would be the same as in the display Homes.

[/quote]we had to pay extra for the square set window as it was larger than std, it wasnt much though. we also needed to pay about $100 so the bench extends back to the window. the photo is from the PD display home the hoffman in Eastern Melbourne

We have just signed up for a Madison 40 - have a tentative start date of February 2018 - woohoo, very exciting. Reading this blog has been awesome. We have a consultant appointment coming up next week. Our plans are coming together, we have moved the master bed to the front, ensuite to bed 2 and added a guest bedroom. Will upload plans after our consultant appt. I am hoping that the pluming stack will go from dining as there are no wet areas in that part of the house any more.

What are the biggest things you have learnt in the process that you wished you knew at the beginning?

Michael
MikW

Awesome another Madison home builder. Welcome mate.

We also swapped the bed to front but didn't go for the bed 2 ensuite or guest bed downstairs.
Instead of the guest bed, we kept it as the living room and added in a fireplace.
As far as structural change, just front bed swap, garage extension and alfresco extension.
Fixing just completed.

Now only painting, door handle fittings, electrical fittings, tiling and flooring left.

This is my second build with PD but my fourth in total.
There are a lot of things you might want to consider such as:
> high ceiling downstairs and upstairs,
> 450mm eaves around the house
> bigger garage perhaps or 3 garage,
> Fixed picture windows perhaps
> Square set in master ens may be
> think also about access to property, you might want to center the house on the block or keep it on the left leaving enough space for a gate on the right side..etc..

If you browse through the Madison threads or other PD threads you will get a lot of info.
Any concern or questions post them in the Madison thread.

Cheers
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Madison40builder

Another question, are you hiring an independent inspector? I'm looking at using Darbecca. Our PD sales consultant gave us the big spiel that we are wasting our money etc etc as they hire one on our behalf. I'm like, thanks but I think for such a huge investment we will hire our own. When I spoke to Darbecca she said that they work on behalf of PD clients regularly.

K

We are using Darbecca and I would highly recommend them. They found 8 defects with our slab so far. Their fee is a small price to pay when you compare it to the value of your home.

Have you used Darbecca for every stage as outlined in their quote or just some selected ones? Their cost adds up a bit, but I am sure that they more than pay for themselves in seeing things that a non-builder would just miss and end up having to live with?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum