Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hickinbotham build progress - Progress update

Page 8 of 11
So by my working out they were released to construction on 19th July and, given that 6 weeks from now is about 31st Oct, that will be 15 weeks build time. Guarantee 18 weeks build time looks quite achievable!!

Looks like we will only be home for 1 week from our holiday and then empty nesters!!!
6 weeks how exciting for them. Looking really good. I'm sure the kitchen will be fixed soon although the communication from hickies is terrible. Are they doing flooring driveway and perimeter paths after handover ir are the builders doing it. 15 week build time is awsome. You must be looking forward to your holiday too.
Hi Asa22. They are really excited about how things are progressing. Hickies communication IS terrible!! I must say your place is coming along really well as well!!

Scott and Kelly managed to break in tonight. It was the first time Kelly has managed to get in since it was locked up. I think she was a bit excited. It was very dark so they had to take a torch with them to see. Hence why Kelly is in the spotlight.

The disappointing thing at the moment is Hickies has forgotten a power point in the kitchen and it was going to be done at 2nd fix, which was done today, and they have not done the power point!!! It is very frustrating when you report these things and you trust them to do what they say and then they don't do it.
Oh and of course the kitchen cupboard is not right!!

The driveway, paths, airconditioning and carpets are all being done after handover as it was much cheaper to get it done after they have found.

And yes we are looking forward to our holiday!!!!
Tiling has started so I have been informed. They must have been working all weekend as no tiling was done at all on Friday!!!!
Kitchen looks super. Great news on the tiling!
our tiling is done, but we are still waiting for our eaves to be finished. The painter is coming the end of the week allegedly!!
Painting! that makes things seem so close.
Good news zub13!!
Yes Lucinda, Tiling and painting makes it so much more like a finsihed house!! When we were at the house last night there was actual Electricity as well. No more looking around in the dark, we could turn on a light as all the sockets had light bulbs as well

Seems we have come across a couple of more problems though.

Took a close look at the windows last night while we were there and looks like nearly all the windows, the sliding bit, don't actually sit straight. There are wide gaps up the top so it makes them look not square and not fitting in the sliding bit. Some even have huge gaps at the tops!! I haven't got any pics as Scott took them last night to send to Hickies. Speaking to some people at work and they seem to think the windows aren't made square or fitted correctly so may need replacing!!!! I thought maybe they had adjustable height rollers in them to square them up like the big sliding doors do but they assure me they don't. They just click in and are height adjustable!!

Also discovered 2 window frames where some low life has tried to jimmy them open with what looks like a screw driver so now they are bent!!!!!

Also Hickies are trying to deny that there should be a power point where they have missed and also they are reluctant to change the cupboards to have the correct style with the corner cupboard. Luckily Scott has emails to the contrary to both problems. Hope they sort them out soon!!
I'm sure they'll fix the windows. I hope they replace rather than try to bend the damaged ones into shape.

And the kitchen end shelves and power point, they should be on the final master plan--if they are there, there should be no question as to what is required. If not, fingers crossed that the emails will suffice.
Today's update:

Main Bathroom floor tiled

ensuite tiled

Laundry tiled

This is the hallway but the house has been painted throughout
Flying along.
Jeepers! This house is faster than lightning!

They must be thrilled
deluxes

They must be thrilled

Hi Deluxes,

It is coming along so quick that we are all just amazed. Hickies must not be very busy as there has been no down days (no tradies there) the whole time.

Bit disappointing though with some of the little issues they are having and with Hickies themselves
If I was to build I don't think they would be my choice of builders with their attitude towards the problems and the no communication. It would annoy the hell out of me personally.
They have made a few more sales near ours in the past few weeks, and one two doors down from us got council approval last week. From the selections centre the times I've been in there it looks to me that they are pretty busy. I think their strength is their ability to call the required tradies together quickly when needed.

Is there any resolution to the problems yet Joane? If they are in the master plan, don't worry, they will have to fix them.
Hi Lucinda,

Still haven't heard when the problems (power point and kitchen cupboard) will be fixed and Scott is contacting them regarding the window problems. He wanted to take some photos of the windows before he sent an email to them.

The problems with the power point and kitchen is all by email (but I could be wrong about the kitchen cupboard but I am sure the redone kitchen plan was only sent by emails by them, which he has the email trail).

The major concern is now going to be the windows and when/how long it will take to get them fixed as it could be quite a large problem with them being not square.
Quote:
The problems with the power point and kitchen is all by email (but I could be wrong about the kitchen cupboard but I am sure the redone kitchen plan was only sent by emails by them, which he has the email trail).

I do hope they are on the master plan, then they will have to fix them. If the changes were made after the master plans were signed, there should be a official signed variations.

Quote:
The major concern is now going to be the windows and when/how long it will take to get them fixed as it could be quite a large problem with them being not square.

They will have to fix the windows, and if you have the 18 week guarantee they will have to meet the deadline or ... I don't know what happens if they don't, some sort of penalty in favour of your son I would hope.
joane
deluxes

They must be thrilled

Hi Deluxes,

It is coming along so quick that we are all just amazed. Hickies must not be very busy as there has been no down days (no tradies there) the whole time.

Bit disappointing though with some of the little issues they are having and with Hickies themselves
If I was to build I don't think they would be my choice of builders with their attitude towards the problems and the no communication. It would annoy the hell out of me personally.

It is quite rapid speed, but again if they are missing things or ballsing things up it’s hardly a consolation!
They will have to fix things, so just make sure (it seems like they are) noting it all down and bring it up prior to handover.

As I said before, I built with them and had so many hassles… the house was fine in the end, but I didn’t “order” anything fancy so I wonder if I had’ve played with upgrades and modifications what might of happened…
I was building in Kapunda, so I was lucky that the trades assigned were pretty much dedicated to my build and weren’t going between builds in the area, so once they started it was fast as lightning as well!

The actual getting to site part was a nightmare and the amount of things missed was horrendous

We did wander in to Hickies when we decided to build again and had a casual chat, just to see what they had on offer and if anything had changed since the first experience. The salesperson was extremely empathetic and assured us that sort of issue was all in the past, things had changed, they have stricter methods when quoting and drawing contracts up so there are less surprises… We really liked a design called the Harrington Alfresco, we were at Pre-Lim stage and had been promised the world with “Yeah, yeah – no worries we can do that” and when it came time to put it on paper, the back pedalling started.
In the end, we didn’t feel comfortable, there were too many “She’ll be right’s” with no actual answers and I had a terrible experience visiting the Selections centre, one of the girls there was so rude.
There was another couple doing a preliminary browse, just checking out the options as well and they copped the same attitude. We both looked at each other and went “Wow… what a b*&^#!”

But again, I have heard from people who have had a great experience! So it’s hard to say…

I have my fingers crossed for them that the niggles to iron themselves out and they can enjoy their home at the end!
Thanks Deluxes.

I am sure all builders have people who have good experiences and those that have bad. It is a hard thing as the same "niggles" can seem minor to some people and seem hugely major to others, so it is hard to judge some opinions.

In then end as long as they are all worked out they will be happy.
wow scott and kellys build is flying along.
like lucinda said if it is on final master plans then they have to put the power point in.
if the cupboards in kitchen were done via email i would also think they have to go with what the email said. our colour consultant emailed us to check we wanted the kitchen over to the left instead of centred and we ended up going centred which was all just emails no signed paperwork.

yes they will try to say it is your fault not theirs, our problem was wrong grout colour and they told hubby it was our fault to which hubby told the person he spoke to on the phone to go and check the colour selections paperwork to which she did and ended up apologising. down the track when hubby was speaking to the tiler he said that it was cos it was a job he got his apprentice to do and he didnt do the correct grout colour.
Well the power point issue has nearly been rectified. There was a power point installed BUT they installed inside the overhead cupboard not underneath the cupboard on the bench. The consultant did ask if he would like it moved from inside the cupboard to the correct position!!! This is where they want to put their kettle so moving it was not really hard to say yes as an extension cord running out of the cupboard would not have been a great look!! Really!!!!!
mmmm must ask Scott if they are going to fix the back of the cupboard or just leave a hole where the power point was!!

No word on the kitchen yet.
Related
22/09/2023
Progress Payments - Flood rebuild

General Discussion

haha a draw? didnt realise we were battling!

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum