Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Metricon Liberty 45 on the Northern Beaches, Sydney

Page 69 of 70
State Building Manager cancelled on us. Awaiting a new appointment date. 🤬

Incredibly frustrating Vista, sorry to hear.

A question for you, or others on the thread. It has come to my attention that Metricon haven’t run a coaxial cable (for internet) from the fuse box to under our staircase where all data cabling terminates. So, Telstra came this morning to connect our internet, but promptly left as there was no coax cable to connect to at the fuse box. I have escalated as an urgent service item, but I fear their pushback will be that our plans don’t explicitly refer to a coax cable. So my question is: what have others electrical plans specified in this regard?

Coax is for TV or can be used for cable internet, as I understand it. But for Internet it’s being replaced in most metro areas by HFC NBN or one of the other NBN technologies. So to answer your question, if you have an NBN provision that should cover you for Internet, assuming you have NBN access in your area.

We currently have cable Internet, so using a coax cable to the modem but should shortly be on HFC NBN. We have NBN provisioning.

Here’s my electrical plan. All NBN, coax etc terminate in the garage as shown.

Hi Vista,

How did you install your data switch cabinet to connect the cables from switch devices to your ethernet termination plates and power points in your garage?

We’re just trying to figure whether the cabinet is installed along side of the plates or over them

Thanks

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
Hi Q,

Just searched my thousands of pics for these, hopefully they show you what I did. I bought my cabinet, 19 MU high from 4cabling.com.au who build good quality data cabinets of all sizes. Lots of data accessories there too, so worth a visit to their shop.

This is how the cables were left by Metricon.

All 35 CAT6 and 6A cables as well as speaker cables (yellow) came out of the wall in an area of about 15cm by 15cm. I visited site on the day of installation to make sure this was the case. The tradies are pretty slap dash so you have to spell it out for them or you’ll end up with a right mess! Even then they managed to install the NBN provision on the far left as well as coax Tv cables but I can live with them outside the cabinet.

The lower PowerPoints are within the cabinet, the upper ones are outside, so obviously security critical equipment such as CCTV, modem, NAS drive is powered from within.

I built the wall mounted rack over where these cables came out of the wall. The rack is hinged on the left, so for access to the rear I can unlock and rotate to the left. Works very well.

This is the unit some time ago before I terminated all the cables but it gives you an idea. Behind the TV screen you can see the coax cables, a blanking plate for my conduit to the media room and a PowerPoint. Out of picture to the left is the NBN provision. So not as neat as it could have been installed but not bad and the rear cabinet is pretty congested and on the limits of when crosstalk may become an issue.

Thanks Vista, that’s heaps helpful. Unfortunately our cat6 and NBN terminate on a number of different plates which means that our cabinet is unlikely to be wide enough to cover up all our points

Also, is your cabinet a swing frame one?

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
Yes swing frame. If I were you I’d move those points around. Really easy to do, all you need is a drywall saw ($10) and of course be able to patch the holes you leave behind.

The PowerPoints will be left and right of a stud, so you can move those down to a more suitable height or move them to the same side.

I’d do this. Red lines are likely where the studs are. I’d move the two PowerPoints in so they’re more central and possibly move the high datapoint further down, as shown in yellow.

Studs are spaced 450mm apart, as a building standard. So keeping everything between studs you should be able to fit it all within one rack cabinet. A standard server rack is 600mm wide, exactly for this reason.

HTH

Thanks Vista, that’s very helpful. That leaves me with two further questions:
1) what on your plan denotes the coax provision? I recognise all the symbols on your plan, however don’t see anything that specifies a coax cable. Am I missing something? We do not have NBN provisioning, however believe they should still have run coax between fuse box and where all our data cabling terminates (under stairs). Hence, I’m trying to understand what on your plan would have instructed them to install coax, where they didn’t for us.
2) once NBN is available, does NBN retrofit one’s property with HFC (or similar)? If so, is that what the ‘NBN Conduit’ symbol refers to on your plan? Ie a conduit with drawstring that they use to pull a HFC cable through?
Many thanks

Jmet,

1.from my contract paperwork;

Relevant symbols circled in red....

2. I think the NBN provision is a conduit with a drawstring, data points and a dedicated power outlet. Once you have NBN available in your area, they come and fit a standard PSU and NTD (free of charge) as below;

The above PSU and NTD setup will distribute high speed broadband by any of the available NBN technologies (FTTP,FTTB,FTTC,FTTN,HFC).

See here

https://www1.nbnco.com.au/residential/l ... witch.html

Thanks Vista! Apologies for the delay responding but many thanks for your (as usual) thorough response. Vaccaro did attend site recently and confirmed that no data cabling has been installed from fuse box to under the stairs. Now the battle to get someone to rectify it!

Hi Vista. Thanks for your (as usual) comprehensive answer and apologies for taking a few days to come back to your post.

It seems that not only have Vaccaro not run coax for me, they’ve failed to run any data cable (cat6 or coax) at all. So they need to come back and somehow retrofit a cable run from the fuse box to under the staircase! Not sure how they’re going to do that although that’s their problem....but for now it’s our problem as we run a family off mobile broadband!! Thanks again for your response.

Our media room is finally finished, pretty happy with the end result. Expensive audio visual equipment but the overall experience is better than a cinema so we are very pleased.

Wow. Looks awesome! Who did your (black) cabinetry?

Great looking theater room.
What brand speakers? They look expensive.
Thanks all.

Cabinetry was done by a guy we know that does it on the side, normally works for a kitchen fitting company. It’s Laminex Absolut Matt Black, which is a new nano tech product. No finger prints or marks etc.

Speakers I got from UK, Monitor Audio Silver 300 range, amazing sound but expensive. Brought them to Oz myself as luggage, only one small scratch!

Speakers are in a 5.1.4 configuration, with 4 overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos.....which is worth the expense as it is awesome on UHD 4K movies like Lone Survivor, The Revenant, Deepwater Horizon or any of the Planet of the Apes series.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mon ... oudspeaker

Here it is with the projector screen down, a couple centimetres in front of the TV. Screen is 135 inch Elite Screens VMax2 motorised screen and is recessed into the ceiling, so as the projector comes on the screen scrolls down from the ceiling. Very swish.

Projector in the bulkhead;

3 months on and we’re still waiting for our motorised blackout blind and then the room will be complete. Projectors need total darkness to really give you that cinematic effect. Who needs Hoyts!

Looks amazing!
https://vimeo.com/284828821

Related
30/05/2023
Montgomery Homes KD/R on Northern Beaches

Building A New House

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has built with Montgomery in the last few years on the Northern Beaches? I don't see the see them around, as I would love to ask how happy…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum