Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 664 of 862
_Memphis
We were told that even if the BAL is lifted from that stage your block resides and the house is ready for construction the BAL won't be removed! They have ordered the stuff required for BAL so it stays. We had a few friends also build with Porter Davis and were thinking they would get a credit back but got a shock when that was't the case! I see a few people here think they are getting the BAL amount back... Have you got it in writing from PD this is the case? Hate to see a few people's hopes get smashed!

I have made it very clear from the start with My BC that I am not happy about paying for the BAL as I do not believe it is still required.... I do have multiple emails saying they will remove it if it is not required anymore as they "always do a second BAL assessment prior to going to site to see if it's still required."

I did contact a few companies to see how much it costs to get my own assessment done and it's ~$800 for the assessment and that doesn't include getting the BAL map changed (which is all PD go off.) PD won't just accept the report, even though I have spoken to my council surveyors who say that the report should be sufficient!!

So now it's a choice of do I take the gamble, spend the ~$1000 and I MAY gain my $8k BAL back or it may come back exactly the same and then I'm out of pocket $1000! <---- this is my current predicament...

I'll make sure I get it in writing too at time of contract.
bd3watson
_Memphis
We were told that even if the BAL is lifted from that stage your block resides and the house is ready for construction the BAL won't be removed! They have ordered the stuff required for BAL so it stays. We had a few friends also build with Porter Davis and were thinking they would get a credit back but got a shock when that was't the case! I see a few people here think they are getting the BAL amount back... Have you got it in writing from PD this is the case? Hate to see a few people's hopes get smashed!

I have made it very clear from the start with My BC that I am not happy about paying for the BAL as I do not believe it is still required.... I do have multiple emails saying they will remove it if it is not required anymore as they "always do a second BAL assessment prior to going to site to see if it's still required."

I did contact a few companies to see how much it costs to get my own assessment done and it's ~$800 for the assessment and that doesn't include getting the BAL map changed (which is all PD go off.) PD won't just accept the report, even though I have spoken to my council surveyors who say that the report should be sufficient!!

So now it's a choice of do I take the gamble, spend the ~$1000 and I MAY gain my $8k BAL back or it may come back exactly the same and then I'm out of pocket $1000! <---- this is my current predicament...

We were told by our sales consultant: "The block is showing that it is in a BAL zone at the moment, I have had to add a $7000 allowance to cover this, should this be removed from the BAL zone it will be removed from the quotation"

We have our Tender appointment next week so perhaps we will find out more then.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
bd3watson
_Memphis

We were told by our sales consultant: "The block is showing that it is in a BAL zone at the moment, I have had to add a $7000 allowance to cover this, should this be removed from the BAL zone it will be removed from the quotation"

Yeah ur lucky as our didn't get removed till well after we signed contracts and stuff was being ordered ready to do to site... Ah well, it's stuff that will help with the heating and cooling etc.

We are on the late stage hopefully finish in september

Things seem to be moving along with our build- slab last fri, framing completed this week, plumbers were on site saturday installing all the in-wall and ceiling piping

Was meant to set up on site meeting with site supervisor for this week- better get onto that tomorrow!!

http://ourlondon24.wordpress.com
_Memphis
Waldorf_Grange_Build
bd3watson
[quote="_Memphis"]We were told that even if the BAL is lifted from that stage your block resides and the house is ready for construction the BAL won't be removed! They have ordered the stuff required for BAL so it stays. We had a few friends also build with Porter Davis and were thinking they would get a credit back but got a shock when that was't the case! I see a few people here think they are getting the BAL amount back... Have you got it in writing from PD this is the case? Hate to see a few people's hopes get smashed!

Yeah ur lucky as our didn't get removed till well after we signed contracts and stuff was being ordered ready to do to site... Ah well, it's stuff that will help with the heating and cooling etc.

[/quote]
Ours was removed after contract but 'lucky' for us PD were taking their time sorting out a few issues with kitchen culture plans and pricing so we had an open post contract valuation we were waiting to finalise when the BAL was lifted!! I guess there always has to be a line in the sand for when no more changes to plans are allowed!

Maybe the government should review how their rating properties in new estates overall. Surely there could be a review of the entire estate upfront before development even begins to determine the BAL that will apply to the area.. it's not like any area in metro melbourne that is aproved for development is going to be left undeveloped!!

_Memphis
Waldorf_Grange_Build
bd3watson
[quote="_Memphis"]We were told that even if the BAL is lifted from that stage your block resides and the house is ready for construction the BAL won't be removed! They have ordered the stuff required for BAL so it stays. We had a few friends also build with Porter Davis and were thinking they would get a credit back but got a shock when that was't the case! I see a few people here think they are getting the BAL amount back... Have you got it in writing from PD this is the case? Hate to see a few people's hopes get smashed!

[/quote]
Ours was removed after contract but 'lucky' for us PD were taking their time sorting out a few issues with kitchen culture plans and pricing so we had an open post contract valuation we were waiting to finalise when the BAL was lifted!! I guess there always has to be a line in the sand for when no more changes to plans are allowed!

Maybe the government should review how they're rating properties in new estates overall. Surely there could be a review of the entire estate upfront before development even begins to determine the BAL that will apply to the area.. it's not like any area in metro melbourne that is aproved for development is going to be left undeveloped!!

melipen19
_Memphis
Waldorf_Grange_Build
[quote="bd3watson"][quote="_Memphis"]We were told that even if the BAL is lifted from that stage your block resides and the house is ready for construction the BAL won't be removed! They have ordered the stuff required for BAL so it stays. We had a few friends also build with Porter Davis and were thinking they would get a credit back but got a shock when that was't the case! I see a few people here think they are getting the BAL amount back... Have you got it in writing from PD this is the case? Hate to see a few people's hopes get smashed!

[/quote]

Maybe the government should review how their rating properties in new estates overall. Surely there could be a review of the entire estate upfront before development even begins to determine the BAL that will apply to the area.. it's not like any area in metro melbourne that is aproved for development is going to be left undeveloped!!

http://ourlondon24.wordpress.com[/quote]

I think once a place is turned into an estate it's at that point the land should be re assessed...no doubt is a great money earner in taxes so they won't do ****... City of casey must be rolling in the fees they charge for new houses!! A rort!

[/quote]

I think once a place is turned into an estate it's at that point the land should be re assessed...no doubt is a great money earner in taxes so they won't do ****... City of casey must be rolling in the fees they charge for new houses!! A rort!

[/quote]

If you're in City of casey don't forget you also need to pay $900 community infrastructure levy before you can apply for building permit... unless your developer decides to pay for you (50/50 happening).
We're in Casey as well and the amount of development is crazy. It covers a huge area and surely it will have to split at some point. The population increase here must be huge. Pretty sure I read it was one of the top three LGAs for population growth? And our suburb came out tops nationally!

Anyone in the KDR process and know roughly how long from knock down and last soil till they start building???

We had the last soil friday... followed by our sewer and water capped today... we also noticed a surveyor our there today which i guess is exciting.

We have been told permits get ordered after last soil and were hoping they were quick..

Any ideads?
If anyone's interested in an endorsement of the Technika 900 oven offered for the access homes... we had our housewarming & combined bday party on the weekend and the dear sweet oven let me bake two cakes side by side which was lucky because my original fail meant I took the cakes out of the oven only an hour before the guests arrived
I love baking but couldn't really do much where we were living before because the oven was so atrocious. No such problems now
kind of having a love affair with it. Not to mention the gas
caaaaaaaaaake. Honestly I think the kitchen is my favourite thing in the new house, having functionality is awesome.

Anyone else had trouble getting onto Kitchen Culture? We've emailed our contact twice over last 2-3 weeks and received no reply. Called phone numbers on quote and they were not connected and then rang World of Style and they didn't answer. Left a voicemail for a call back and no one rang. Very strange.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
Anyone else had trouble getting onto Kitchen Culture? We've emailed our contact twice over last 2-3 weeks and received no reply. Called phone numbers on quote and they were not connected and then rang World of Style and they didn't answer. Left a voicemail for a call back and no one rang. Very strange.

After the 2 day cool down from the WoS appointment I found that they just stopped replying to my messages and my BC was the only way to get things changed... This made the more complex changes slightly more difficult.

bd3watson
Waldorf_Grange_Build

After the 2 day cool down from the WoS appointment I found that they just stopped replying to my messages and my BC was the only way to get things changed... This made the more complex changes slightly more difficult.

We did send first email within 2 day cooling off period. We've heard nothing from them since we walked out of WoS. It seems an odd way to do business. Not even a reply to say "You'll need to discuss that with your BC". The Kitchen Culture staff member was lovely in our WoS appointment however, she made the process fun, explained everything clearly and had a great sense of humour.
hello all

first post, and first (tentative) step into the world of building our own home

I like the look of the PD London and the price is reasonable. However can anyone tell me what's NOT included in that?

Driveway? Heating/Cooling? Flooring? etc etc etc

just having a look at different builders to see who gives the best inclusions

thanks in advance
Dicko
hello all

I like the look of the PD London and the price is reasonable. However can anyone tell me what's NOT included in that?

thanks in advance

We've just started building the London 24- love the floorplan. PD base price doesn't really include anything like driveway, flooring etc.. but PD have different packs you can add on.

I've got a list of main things we added or upgraded and price on my blog.

Be prepared to add quite a bit if you want to achieve anything close to what they display!!

Good luck with it all!!

Waldorf_Grange_Build

In our experience we had to resit our KC appointment due to the lack of communication. Everything wed discussed and found after our first appointment was wrong. Dealing with them over email was hopeless and i felt very nervous that questions still weren't being answered. I ended up escalating it quick smart as our bc was away. It ended in us resitting. Good luck!!!
melipen19
Dicko
hello all

thanks in advance

We've just started building the London 24- love the floorplan. PD base price doesn't really include anything like driveway, flooring etc.. but PD have different packs you can add on.

I've got a list of main things we added or upgraded and price on my blog.

Be prepared to add quite a bit if you want to achieve anything close to what they display!!

Good luck with it all!!

wow, this is EXACTLY the kind of info I was hoping for but didnt think I'd get. Many thanks

I've kind of set aside a minimum of $30k for upgrades (more likely $50k with garden and driveway etc)

Anyone know if this stone on the benchtop is silestone lagoon? Trying to decide between lagoon and ariel at the moment and was a bit concerned lagoon wouldn't match white cupboards very well but this looks pretty nice.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum