Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 66 of 828
Looking forward to your blog shuddabeenatradie.
Sounds like i'm in the same boat as some of you. Our land doesn't register till December next year but for some reason we have our tender presentation next week?!?! Not that i'm complaining, i just hope this means that there wont be a hold up when time comes to start building
Kirst10
Hi everyone, apologies if this has already been mentioned on here but we are just starting the process with Wisdom (we have tender presentation on 30/10) and just wondering how long is the Tender valid for and can you extend it and is that at a cost?? We have estimated date of land rego of Feb/March and thinking we may need to extend it being that is only an estimation.
I was prepared for them to take alot longer to get back to us with the Tender presentation to be honest. Maybe the slowness will come after that?! I'm fully prepared for it based on what I have read from all your experiences!

I would definitely get the extension, we signed and paid our deposit in June 14 and we only submitted our draft end panel today. We have had some hold ups with council but the amount of time everything has taken is mindboggling (we also didn't change our plans from the original tender appointment).

Its worth the peace of mind but you do kind of resent having to pay for everyone not being able to work to an agreed time frame.

The other thing about the land registration, i don't know if this applies across the board but i have a work colleague that bought land in schofields around March last year and the land still hasn't been registered. I think they are still looking at another month or so and they had been promised that it would be ready around March this year. So it may not be a set Feb March date for you it might be April /May who knows with councils.
LouR, really hoping you have some movement soon, it is a long process. We waited for over a year for our block to be registered so we had a lot of time to sort out what we wanted with the house!! I am sure we have still forgot something!! We found mistakes just as we were about to return the end panel. So hoping we got it right and will have a smooth build. Keep us updated on your progress and hopefully you will be out of admin soon.[/quote]

We had our fences up and dunny on the land on Wednesday, the power is cut and the house will come down next week i believe but we have only just sent our draft end panel back so who knows how much longer we have until the building will actually start.

Have they done anything yet with your place lou_butterfly? Where are you building?
ShuddaBeenATradie
That's really unfortunate to hear about your delays Carix, hopefully it picks up from here. On a different note I started my build blog today after going to my colours appointment yesterday.

They must've changed processes in recent months because I've felt that the pace with which things have been done by WH has always exceeded or met expectations e.g getting my drawings in 3 weeks after accepting tender, contract prepared within 3 weeks after that.

My admin supervisor always gets back on the same day via email, they've been pro-active about appointments, CDC sending out letters to my neighbours etc I'm the one who's dragged my feet a bit because of KDRB related issues outside of WH and cos I've been through a busy patch at work where it's hard to take time off for appointments.

Anyway my blog is here https://wisdomhomesabode27.wordpress.com/ - I decided I'd start at colours because all the tender/contract stuff is pretty dry and I'm bound by confidentiality agreements.

Hi SBAT! Congratulation on moving forward with wisdom, saw your selections! We loved renovation gertrudis brown too, but couldn't part from the extra money we had to pay. Can't wait to see you house take shape!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75739&p=1299716#p1299716
ShuddaBeenATradie
That's really unfortunate to hear about your delays Carix, hopefully it picks up from here. On a different note I started my build blog today after going to my colours appointment yesterday.

They must've changed processes in recent months because I've felt that the pace with which things have been done by WH has always exceeded or met expectations e.g getting my drawings in 3 weeks after accepting tender, contract prepared within 3 weeks after that.

My admin supervisor always gets back on the same day via email, they've been pro-active about appointments, CDC sending out letters to my neighbours etc I'm the one who's dragged my feet a bit because of KDRB related issues outside of WH and cos I've been through a busy patch at work where it's hard to take time off for appointments.

Anyway my blog is here https://wisdomhomesabode27.wordpress.com/ - I decided I'd start at colours because all the tender/contract stuff is pretty dry and I'm bound by confidentiality agreements.

Congrats on your progress. I will be following your blog.
LouR
LouR, really hoping you have some movement soon, it is a long process. We waited for over a year for our block to be registered so we had a lot of time to sort out what we wanted with the house!! I am sure we have still forgot something!! We found mistakes just as we were about to return the end panel. So hoping we got it right and will have a smooth build. Keep us updated on your progress and hopefully you will be out of admin soon.

We had our fences up and dunny on the land on Wednesday, the power is cut and the house will come down next week i believe but we have only just sent our draft end panel back so who knows how much longer we have until the building will actually start.

Have they done anything yet with your place lou_butterfly? Where are you building?[/quote]

That is good you have your fence up!! It is the starting point. We had our land excavation done on Sep 28 but nothing since. Our file was in production estimating and we just got handed over to construction last monday. Our SS contacted us saying the piering and slab should start next week, so hope the weather will cooperate. We are so excited, it is hard to be patient. I just want to see it all happen!
Hello fellow wisdomites, been a bit quiet here lately. One thing I've learned about build forums is that usually no news is good news.

I'm about to submit my 2nd variation for colours to cover the things I missed at the appointment and was wondering if it's necessary to do the Soundscreen 3.1 floor/ceiling insulation between the first floor and 2nd floor to the *entire floor* or just to the floor areas underneath bedrooms.

My thinking is with such an open plan and a big void where the staircase is there's not much point doing the floor sound insulation to the hallway upstairs and areas like bathrooms and WIRs. My aim is more to insulate bedrooms with solicore doors and soundscreen insulation from the noise from living areas rather than the other way round.

Also anybody found it worthwhile going to R5 in the ceilings? (With colorbond and sarking underneath)
ShuddaBeenATradie
Hello fellow wisdomites, been a bit quiet here lately. One thing I've learned about build forums is that usually no news is good news.

I'm about to submit my 2nd variation for colours to cover the things I missed at the appointment and was wondering if it's necessary to do the Soundscreen 3.1 floor/ceiling insulation between the first floor and 2nd floor to the *entire floor* or just to the floor areas underneath bedrooms.

My thinking is with such an open plan and a big void where the staircase is there's not much point doing the floor sound insulation to the hallway upstairs and areas like bathrooms and WIRs. My aim is more to insulate bedrooms with solicore doors and soundscreen insulation from the noise from living areas rather than the other way round.

Also anybody found it worthwhile going to R5 in the ceilings? (With colorbond and sarking underneath)

I was told and advised to go R4. And improve the wall insulation facing west.
We left insulation as standard and they installed R4.1 anyway
I don't have particularly bad news - just no news. Still waiting for the end panel to be finalised then we will have something to report

We are building a single storey so can't really help you with how to address a 2 storey but we did sound screen all the bathrooms & the laundry where it faces the living room - I must admit I was naive as I am I thought you would sit with someone reviewing your plans to go through the advantages of higher insulation etc and where best to place it. If it was best to have a different types of glass in your windows etc but i guess that is only with custom builds.

We upgraded our insulation to R4 as i believe in Sydney you need to have at least R4.1 and with the anticon that will achieve that. I think that was 400 for a 36-37 sq house to get R5 was close to 2k and i didn't think we would get that investment back.
Carix
Better extend. They are really slow! Our tender presentation was Nov 2014! With a bit of luck our fences will go up in 2 weeks! Very very glad we paid the extra to not get hit by an increase!

Our tender presentation was Nov 2014 as well, but we've had the slab poured and drainage/plumbing done in the last 2 weeks. Feel you pain with the slowness of getting to this point though!
Hi All,

just completed the roofing stage.
Disappointing we had major problems with austral bricks. now we have had the 1st floor acid washed and the scaffolding removed.
We can now see a distinct colour difference between the 2 batches of bricks between the ground floor and the 1st floor, supposedly the bricks were from the same batch.
Has]anyone come across using dyeing of bricks to make them appear the same colour nurco? pro's and con's if anyone has done it.

having problems saving the picture here.
I know a couple of people who ended up getting their house rendered due to issues with the brick work. In both cases the builder paid.

hi matt1,

hope it does not come to that I think I found the right company
http://www.nawkaw.com.au/

have to wait for the final acid brick wash and see how bad it is.
last resort is to render.
Guys, we are still at tender stage with wisdom, reading your posts, so how does one ensure we don't end up in a similar situation with the bricks - as in - different batches, shades etc. thanks

The bricks should all be ordered at the same time and thus come from the same batch. There are variations within a batch so it's comes down to the brickies to select the bricks so that it blends in. Have a chat to your SS about your concerns and tell him you want good brickies.

Our SS waited a week for his "preferred" brick crew and they did a great job with our bricks.

Hi Guys,
Just thought I would update everyone on my structural issues with steel beams. I posted on this forum some time back that the steal beams over the leisure/kitchen area of my double storey home seemingly did not have enough support (in industry terms this is called 'purchase') under the timber studs, so I took matters into my own hands and contacted the engineer. While it took him an eternity to get back to me he said that he had concerns for the beam and had contacted our dear builder with his concerns. The result is they reinforced the support under the beam bringing it within industry standards.
I warn everyone, that you should always look over important structural features and if anything looks wrong to speak up. This is something that needs to be right. Some tradies can be very careless and they end up putting things in the too hard basket, leaving it up to others to rectify if it goes wrong, and if it gets picked up.
Matt1
The bricks should all be ordered at the same time and thus come from the same batch. There are variations within a batch so it's comes down to the brickies to select the bricks so that it blends in. Have a chat to your SS about your concerns and tell him you want good brickies.

Our SS waited a week for his "preferred" brick crew and they did a great job with our bricks

'Should' is the key word here. From what I have seen, most people have half their bricks delivered first and then, when their is room on site, the other half. This can lead to storage problems for the brick company. This leads me to believe that most bricks come from different batches. But I'm not an expert, I'm just basing this on pure observation and speculation.
Hi everyone,
I just have a question for those interior design buffs.
Upon entering my soon to be built home we will have a square set entrance for the small home office followed by a little media room which could be closed by two sliding doors. The style of these sliding doors will be very different to all the other doors of the first floor. My question is will this look strange or create a lack of continuity?
The two sliding doors to the media room will be LIN 1 with translaminated glazing (stained timber around a milky white glaze) - similar to these doors: http://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-doors-t ... r_p1975809

The rest of the house will have HLR230 doors - White doors with several lines from bottom to top. (A lot of the display homes use this door).

What do you guys think and do you/will you have any 'feature doors' in your home?
imtellinya
Hi everyone,
I just have a question for those interior design buffs.
Upon entering my soon to be built home we will have a square set entrance for the small home office followed by a little media room which could be closed by two sliding doors. The style of these sliding doors will be very different to all the other doors of the first floor. My question is will this look strange or create a lack of continuity?
The two sliding doors to the media room will be LIN 1 with translaminated glazing (stained timber around a milky white glaze) - similar to these doors: http://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-doors-t ... r_p1975809

The rest of the house will have HLR230 doors - White doors with several lines from bottom to top. (A lot of the display homes use this door).

What do you guys think and do you/will you have any 'feature doors' in your home?

Something that was suggested to us, was the horizontal lines of those feature doors would be dust collectors.

we ended up opting for the hume HAG9 feature door instead, as they have vertical lines rather than horizontal.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum