Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Re: TC2000 - 10/06/10 STILL NO INTERNET

Page 66 of 66
Im still waiting on the draw resolution tc!

And more pics...

Missing you!
+ 1

Loretta
Hi tc2000. Question about your window splashback.

Are those blinds inside the window (the ones you get between two pieces of glass or as they in front of it (like a normal blind). Am thinking of doing something similar and just wondering about getting privacy when I want it. If they are on kitchen side of window, aren't you worried about them getting dirty from cooking? (Even when up, steam, smoke, and other smells float up)
Hey TC, your camera must be charged by now.... cables found??

Boo to the non-adjustable shelves in the top cupboards. And to the short drawer ~ what the?

Bet you're having fun getting it all together!

Come + say hello... soon!

~ cheers, J
HI GUys,

I haven't forgotten about you. It's just that I STILL have no phone line and hence no internet too!!!!!

Yup, it's taking Telstra this long and it's no wonder they keep losing customers every week!!!!!! My hubby's managed to get the reconnection fee waived and that's the only good thing out of Telstra at this point!

So just a quickie cos' I'm using my hubby's mobile broadband (so no piccies until after I'm connected to the WWW properly)

Drawers issue still not resolved. The builders are saying that my drawers were the old standard lengths at the time of construction. We are saying that we should be getting drawers long enough to fit into the 58cm deep cabinets carcass and that how can it possibly be that from the kitchen plans, only the drawers are not drawn to spec and for illustrative purposes only! There isn't a footnote that states this! We have asked them for documentary proof for the old standard lengths of the drawers before they allegedly changed to the newer longer, deeper drawers. But all the builder has stated in their email reply back is " the measurements you stated are the standard at the time of construction" !!!!!! I reckon they don't even know the dimensions themselves!!!!! Of course I'm not happy about this cos' 70% of my cutlery is sitting in my previous cutlery trays I had in the pantry!!!!!!! The cutlery tray provided by the builder accommodates so much only. It is ridiculous that 1 drawer can put my rolling pin (placed diagonally) and nothing else, another drawer has 3 small chopping boards and the 3rd drawer has an A4 folder for house related stuff. URGH!!!!!

Otherwise, I've been busy since moving in. The outdoor decking is done, as well as the pavers for the blind side of the house. The wing fence was also erected within the 1st week of moving in. I finally unpacked 90% of my boxes by the 2nd week. Tomorrow my shutter blinds will be installed (looking forward to that cos' I'm a bit tired of the paper blinds - they are so fiddly to bring up so I've had them down all of the time). Otherwise, I haven't really decorated the inside of the house yet and there's of course the matter of my front and backyard which needs heck of a lot of work doing!!!!!

Alrighty, I'll be sure to pop some piccies once I've got my ADSL up and running (hopefully in a couple of weeks time! Telstra are supposedly coming by next Tuesday to connect us to the pit and then we still have to wait for our internet service provider to do the rest)
OH and for those of you building with DFH at the same time as me, just out of curiosity, what are your drawer depths?
barker
Hi tc2000. Question about your window splashback.

Are those blinds inside the window (the ones you get between two pieces of glass or as they in front of it (like a normal blind). Am thinking of doing something similar and just wondering about getting privacy when I want it. If they are on kitchen side of window, aren't you worried about them getting dirty from cooking? (Even when up, steam, smoke, and other smells float up)

Hi Barker,

Actually the window coverings for the kitchen splashback window are just the cheap paper blinds from Bunnings!
I haven't had any problems with oil splashes when I cook but my hubby has had some major splashbacks!
When I cook, I tend to have the paper blinds rolled up. We will be having normal holland/roller blinds for this window - I thought it would be easier to wipe them clean after each cooking session if required.
Hi TC. Congratulations on moving into your new house!
I'm impressed that you have unpacked most of your boxes; I think mine will sit in the garage for a lot longer.

Sorry about your drawers. It doesn't seem right that they should be that size.

Bad luck about your internet connection. It probably won't help to tell you that we waited 4 weeks for a phone line and a few days extra for internet connection. That was only after taking drastic measures, otherwise I know we would have waited far longer. A cable had been accidentally cut and the whole problem was put into the "too hard basket".

Hopefully, you will have your phoneline and internet up and running ASAP!
Hi TC, bummer about your internet connection, but by the sounds of it everyone knows what your going through as it is a commone thing for moving into a new home. I'm also impressed that your all unpacked. In our current house, we have boxes from over a year ago (granted we knew this is only temporary) making me feel like just throwing it all out as we have survived quite happily without it. Your house must be feeling very homely by having everything unpacked though. You also sound like you have been super busy with other jobs too. I look forward to seeing the pics when you get a chance to upload them. Enjoy your new home!
Glad to see it is mostly smooth sailing. The draws will be sorted soon enough. I cant wait for a full photo log of everything. Lucky you hey!

Wow, TC, just imagine how sorted out your house will be by the time you get the internet back on!!

It is a complete downer about the kitchen drawers, just one of those things that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Did you think about going back to the display house + checking out the measurement on the drawers at the display? Could this help you if it turns out that these are full-size drawers?

I can't believe you have 90% of your boxes unpacked!!
And the decking all done.
And the "wing fence"
(what is a "wing fence"?)!!!

OMG you are a human dynamo.
Have fun!!

~ cheers, J
tc2000
WOO HOO! We're all moved into our new home

24 hours later and it's been tiring and there's still heaps to do

Our belongings were moved in 2 lots (we were meant to have 2 trucks and 4 men but instead we got a big truck and 3 men!)
By 11.30am, I was in the new house and by 2pm, I'd finished unpacking the kitchen and pantry! The kids' rooms and rumpus room was next.

We didn't realise how much bigger the garage at the rental house was until we moved cos' our standard double garage now looks like a storage facility! Just as well we can't park in the garage since the vehicle crossover was only completed the day before we moved. In the meantime, my hubby is running behind schedule with his DIY projects I'd allocated to him 2 weeks ago (like building bookcases and fitting our walk-in-robe). So it looks like I'll be living out of my suitcase and port-a-robe in the meantime!!!!! AND you know what, the first thing I always do when I move into a new property (rental or otherwise) is to unpack my clothing!!!!!

Oh and I doscovered a boo-boo in my kitchen. Nope, not an insect or something crawly....I unpacked my cutlery tray (which had my utensils and all) and put them into the drawer....it didn't fit!!!! I tried the next one (a standard bough from the local $2 shop) and that didn't fit either!!!! So I got into a hissy fit
....checked my house plans and yup...my current drawers are shorter in depth than what they are supposed to be per the plans!!!!!!! Oddly enough, I managed to spot the shallow backbench cabinets at lock-up stage but I didn't think to check the drawer depths!!!!!! I only checked to make sure the drawers opened and closed smoothly! My site supervisor also didn't check this at PCI or handover. AAARRRGGGHHHH
SO guess what I'm doing on Monday...yup...contacting our contract administrator and informing her about the drawers. My thinking is, since they still have to mend the cracked melamine backing to the kitchen bench just below the stone benchtop, they better change my drawers. A word of advice to anyone who still hasn't finished their house build...go back to your build with a tape measure and measure not only the depth of the cabinets but the drawers too!!!!! Oh, and I have 2 overhead cabinets that don't have adjustable shelves (i.e. the holes at the sides that allow you to reposition the shelves). SO I can't utilise the shelf height properly (fine for my hubby who is 1,86m but not fine for me cos' I'm vertically challenged and I hate step-stools). Oh well....

Re : the melamine shelving. Little did i know to check under shelves. wasnt til i was doing my thorough clean of my pantry so i could stock the food in there, that i discovered that they had put in a crappy shelf that was falling apart and the chipboard was exposed. obviously the carpenter noticed this coz he turned it upside down. i only thought to look when i saw that the shelf was sitting flat that it was bowing. so look out for this too. so now they have some shelves to replace in my new house.
Congrats on moving into your house tc, im in the same boat most of my boxes are unpacked. Just a couple left for DH to unpack, coz its his stuff and i would probably just throw it out lol. God its an effort to get them to assist with any unpacking. Now we just need a shed to empty out the garage, of all of DH tools etc. then theres about a 1/4 of the double garage filled with rubbish that needs to be disposed of lol.

sorry i should stop my rambling on your thread. thread takeover lol. well hope you get your internet soon, am willing to see your outdoor work so far.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum