Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our First Home - Building with Valeco in Brookhaven Estate

Page 7 of 17
breebarter
Also does it look like we have any piering? We put an extra $2500 into our contract for 'Just in case' we need piering, but to us it doesn't look like we have needed any.. is this something Valeco will try and get us for, or should we be able to get our money back for this? I'm guessing they won't say anything unless we bring it up first..

I wish we knew whether everything was okay structurally or even what we were looking at? unfortunately we just don't have the extra cash right now to get inspections for each stage, though we will definitely make sure the last stage is privately inspected.

Anyone have any insight on what this trench at the front is for?

The need for piering should have been confirmed well before now - when the structural engineers completed the foundation design after you signed off on your FWD.

Anyway, if any piers have been poured you wouldn't be able to tell now simply by looking. They'll be be located along rib footings (gaps between the white void formers) but would be covered up by the vapour barrier.

The trench at the front seems odd, looks like they've also cut away part of the void former there too. If it's not shown on your slab drawings I'd ask the question.
So happy for you breebarter! Looks like things are starting and the fun begins.

I drive pass my block everyday to take a photos on my SLR haha - but I have to go pass that way anyways so it kind of works out for me. I think its good to see the changes day by day. For my first house, I only visited every 2-3weeks, its good too but you don't appreciate each step as much. I notice the smallest changes to the block and its good fun.

Our lovely neighbour approached us today and told us she has been taking photos for us while the workers are on site everyday and was going to develop these photos for us as a welcoming gift. SUCH A CUTE LITTLE OLD LADY.

We finally got to check out the house today with the CM (yay)! First time we were able to go on site since the house had started as our original supervisor never arranged a date after the "rain." Roof and Frame looks to be all done. The CM was great and answered all the our questions and concerns. Amazing bloke, would be pretty happy if he just looked after our build tbh. Pity we have a new supervisor looking after us now as the last one is no longer our ss. Fingers crossed this SS is good and communicates with us - name starts with J

ps: I LOVEEE Spectrum Nursery! I have bought so many succulent and growing them for when we move in
breebarter yayyyy how exciting!!
Can't wait to see your frame go up! Your SS sounds amazing too!

_sallz omg, your neighbour is adorable!
iTool
breebarter
Also does it look like we have any piering? We put an extra $2500 into our contract for 'Just in case' we need piering, but to us it doesn't look like we have needed any.. is this something Valeco will try and get us for, or should we be able to get our money back for this? I'm guessing they won't say anything unless we bring it up first..

I wish we knew whether everything was okay structurally or even what we were looking at? unfortunately we just don't have the extra cash right now to get inspections for each stage, though we will definitely make sure the last stage is privately inspected.

Anyone have any insight on what this trench at the front is for?

The need for piering should have been confirmed well before now - when the structural engineers completed the foundation design after you signed off on your FWD.

Anyway, if any piers have been poured you wouldn't be able to tell now simply by looking. They'll be be located along rib footings (gaps between the white void formers) but would be covered up by the vapour barrier.

The trench at the front seems odd, looks like they've also cut away part of the void former there too. If it's not shown on your slab drawings I'd ask the question.

Thanks for the info iTool
_sallz
So happy for you breebarter! Looks like things are starting and the fun begins.

I drive pass my block everyday to take a photos on my SLR haha - but I have to go pass that way anyways so it kind of works out for me. I think its good to see the changes day by day. For my first house, I only visited every 2-3weeks, its good too but you don't appreciate each step as much. I notice the smallest changes to the block and its good fun.

Our lovely neighbour approached us today and told us she has been taking photos for us while the workers are on site everyday and was going to develop these photos for us as a welcoming gift. SUCH A CUTE LITTLE OLD LADY.

We finally got to check out the house today with the CM (yay)! First time we were able to go on site since the house had started as our original supervisor never arranged a date after the "rain." Roof and Frame looks to be all done. The CM was great and answered all the our questions and concerns. Amazing bloke, would be pretty happy if he just looked after our build tbh. Pity we have a new supervisor looking after us now as the last one is no longer our ss. Fingers crossed this SS is good and communicates with us - name starts with J

ps: I LOVEEE Spectrum Nursery! I have bought so many succulent and growing them for when we move in

Thanks Sallz.
That is so cute! How adorable of her to think of you, and so nice of her to develop them!

Thats so good that you got to meet your CM, and happy that he is doing a good job so far. Our CM does not start with J, his initials are S.K

yay for plants, I never thought I would be such a green thumb lol!!
and just like that.... SLAB!

our CS called us this afternoon to tell us that they hit rock today, he said it was minimal and the concreter didn't make too much of a fuss about it, so he is hoping it will either be $0 or very minimal.
but talk about a rollercoaster, bloody happy about the slab, but on such a downer about the rock now.
hoping it doesn't dent our non existent budget too much

I am also dying inside - I can't handle how messy construction sites look lol. eek.
Wohooo for slab!!!!! And that mess is nothing. Wait until they start bricks and plaster 😂😂 Crappy about the rock, fingers crossed it’s like your supervisor described.
Wohooo for slab!!!!! And that mess is nothing. Wait until they start bricks and plaster 😂😂 Crappy about the rock, fingers crossed it’s like your supervisor described.
Frames have been delivered!! Yay

Is this normal for the edges of the slab to be a bit jagged and chipping? Only a little bit but we weren’t sure if this is normal
Andddddddd,

We have frames, hopefully they will be finished by the end of the week. So good to walk through and get a feel of the spaces. I Welled up when I walked through, just so amazing to even walk through something that has been in your head for over a year and finally be able to see what even the unfinished product feels like.

Yay how exciting Bree. Sucks this rain wont go away!
Fantastic news breebarter!! That's so sweet, imagine when the walls go up.. and the tiles go down.. and the walls are painted.. so many more exciting stages to come!! <3
Yaay that’s so exciting congrats

Yay how excited you must feel. Frames stage is fun because you really get a feel for the spaces. Coming along even despite the weather which is awesome
Congratulations on your slab breebarter, so exciting your off and racing now. The drone pics are very cool

Can’t believe your frames are already up, wow that’s fast

congrats breebarter - the frames definitely go up quick! love walking through it and imagining the finished product! hopefully this momentum continues for you!
It’s teally exciting when the house starts to take shape.
Gutters and fascia today!!

Looking good. What colour roof are you getting. Your house looks similar to ours at the front.
Our roof and gutters are surfmist with woodland grey gutters. It was part of our estate guidelines to have an energy sustainable roof (I would have loved a dark roof)

Maybe next time! Lol
Related
29/05/2024
Building First home

Building A New House

Cant give recommendations in general with that builder, but during the colour selection, this is honestly personal preference. Depends on the style you want. Do you want…

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum