Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Liberty 45 Vogue in Dee Why

Page 7 of 11
K-Real
Norfolk
nomnomnom
[quote="blackcat20"]My plans show mine above the window so they'd better make sure it happens.

Put it in an email to your Site manager and cc the CM.

If it is not listed specifically as a variation in your Kitchen Culture paperwork.....

As I said before, it seems their default position is to hang the cupboard below the top edge.

Hi Nom, When we noticed the kitchen cabinets overhanging the window in October 2017 we mentioned this to Metricon's site manager at the time and he told us this was a 'design detail' that had recently been corrected in the plans for future customers because people were not happy with it. He said that the correction "obviously will not help you", and we would have to accept it this way because Metricon would not change it. He later told us he would fix it "out of his own pocket" however this did not happen. In a later meeting Metricon's senior area manager declined to fix it. It looks terrible so we have requested they change it and are awaiting their response. The plan documents that we had signed that show the window and cabinets aligned. In addition, all of Metricon's display homes and marketing materials present the kitchen window and cabinets aligned. I suggest people check this 'design detail' in their homes. Norfolk

Oh sorry, this was not the final drawing, we've changed few things during the appointment. Need to find the variation paperwork.[/quote]

Also check the elevations. If it’s not on there it also strengthens your case.

nomnomnom
blackcat20
My plans show mine above the window so they'd better make sure it happens.

If it is not listed specifically as a variation in your Kitchen Culture paperwork.....

As I said before, it seems their default position is to hang the cupboard below the top edge.

Norfolk
nomnomnom
blackcat20

Here is how the kitchen window layout is represented in Metricon's display homes.This one is at Homeworld kellyville. Clearly there is no cabinet overhanging the window. These display homes are presented as samples of what will finished products be delivered by Metricon and people make purchasing decisions based on this. Australian Building nd consumer law states that goods delivered must match the samples provided. Don't let Metricon tell you its a 'design detail', its a either a building defect or its an non authorised variation to the contract plans you signed! Metricon acknowledged to us in October 2017 that this 'design detail' has been corrected on their plans for future builds. The reason Metricon gets away with this deception is that most people don't check it and will find out too late, at PCI or later! Norfolk

Nice finishes, no glue in the corners or anything like that. To get my house to this standard it will take another year 🤣🤣🤣
I am happy to come up with some sort of letter and sign it collectively re: Metricon Quality and Delays which arn't regulated at the moment fairly. Everything at our cost!!! They use our money, do not comply and dragging it as much as they want to.. We can take this letter to ACCC, CURRENT AFAIR, METRICON HO and etc... If we complain separetly it been unnoticed or doesnt get us anywhere. Metricon. has been good at some stage maybe but not in my case...this is with true honesty!!! I am continiously been given excuses from day one about my build and its not acceptable.
K-Real
I am happy to come up with some sort of letter and sign it collectively re: Metricon Quality and Delays which arn't regulated at the moment fairly. Everything at our cost!!! They use our money, do not comply and dragging it as much as they want to.. We can take this letter to ACCC, CURRENT AFAIR, METRICON HO and etc... If we complain separetly it been unnoticed or doesnt get us anywhere. Metricon. has been good at some stage maybe but not in my case...this is with true honesty!!! I am continiously been given excuses from day one about my build and its not acceptable.

i recon those who will sign this letter will get a priority build 100% 😄
Hi K-Real, I agree with approaching A Current Affair, however suggest its better to write individual complaints to ACCC via https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/report-a-consumer-issue This won't take long. Their system allocates resources based on the number of complaints received about a company. If they get enough complaints they will investigate. Here is the complaint we wrote last month:

Complaint made to ACCC on 19.12.2017

Web form ID: accc-report:140902

I have a contract for construction of a new house with Metricon. The house is at about 70% complete. A building inspector has identified many serious defects. It was fortunate I organised an extra inspection at this point. Most people would not do this and would be unaware of such defects until the final handover. After Metricon became aware of the defects I have experienced behaviours I consider unconscionable. Metricon’s contractors’ work is not adequately supervised or checked for quality. This is inconsistent with their quality assurance representations as well as what is represented by their display homes. Metricon seems hurried in moving from one step to the next without checking the work. Efforts are focussed on progress stage completion, covering up defective work, and chasing the next payment. Customers may identify defective work just prior to completion in the ’Pre Completion Inspection’. At this stage they are in a vulnerable position, possibly having no where else to live, and finances stretched. Customers are then misled, frustrated, threatened, and manipulated to accept the substandard work. Metricon will promise to fix everything later and demand the customer signs a ’Practical Completion Form’ before they can move in. My recent experience indicates they either do not intend to fix things later, or it will be very difficult to get them to. I suggest such behaviour amounts to unconscionable conduct. Four other customers I spoke with have experienced the same. Norfolk
Hi K-Real,

We also wrote an email to the Joint CEO of Metricon last week. Here is what we wrote:

Hi XXXX,

We are building a Metricon Liberty 45 in Killara NSW 2071.

We are two thirds of the way through the build and have identified significant structural defects in the house. Many elements do not comply with the tolerances in Australia standards, and there are differences to the contract plans. The slab is not level, the walls and ceilings are not straight, the brickwork is sloppy, the waterproofing is defective, and the site drainage poses a significant risk of slab heave. After dismissive and unsatisfactory responses from Metricon's senior management in NSW over the past 2 months we have involved NSW Fair Trading and are now awaiting their inspection. Has anyone else had a similar experience mid build? How do you resolve these problems? Do you have any suggestions to assist us and your senior management in NSW to rectify the defective workmanship?

The next morning Metricon's NSW GM sent us an email saying he and their 'Executive Building Manager' would investigate and will report back to us by the end of next week (w/c 22.01.201). Norfolk

Norfolk.
Norfolk
Hi K-Real,

We also wrote an email to the Joint CEO of Metricon last week. Here is what we wrote:

Hi XXXX,

We are two thirds of the way through the build and have identified significant structural defects in the house. Many elements do not comply with the tolerances in Australia standards, and there are differences to the contract plans. The slab is not level, the walls and ceilings are not straight, the brickwork is sloppy, the waterproofing is defective, and the site drainage poses a significant risk of slab heave. After dismissive and unsatisfactory responses from Metricon's senior management in NSW over the past 2 months we have involved NSW Fair Trading and are now awaiting their inspection. Has anyone else had a similar experience mid build? How do you resolve these problems? Do you have any suggestions to assist us and your senior management in NSW to rectify the defective workmanship?

The next morning Metricon's NSW GM sent us an email saying he and their 'Executive Building Manager' would investigate and will report back to us by the end of next week (w/c 22.01.201). Norfolk

Norfolk.

I had the Metricon NSW GM and the building manager out to my house, and it was a total waste of time.
They just kept saying we understand how frustrating it must be for you, but everything is in our opinion, perfectly fine.
It was a complete waste of time.
They just do not care.
You are only a number in a large production line of them churning out houses.
If you have major problems and have already paid the final invoice, then you are screwed and you will be waiting years for final rectification work to be completed.
I should know, it’s been nearly 2 and a half years since handover for us.

HGMbuild
Norfolk
Hi K-Real,

Hi XXXX,

Norfolk.

I had the Metricon NSW GM and the building manager out to my house, and it was a total waste of time.
They just kept saying we understand how frustrating it must be for you, but everything is in our opinion, perfectly fine.
They just do not care.
If you have major problems and have already paid the final invoice, then you are screwed and you will be waiting years for final rectification work to be completed.

HI HGM, We have not yet paid the 'fixing' stage invoice and won't do this until Metricon have fixed the defects we identified. We have had 2 site meetings. The last one was a waste of time. They didn't deliver later what they said they would at the meeting. FYI, Here is our last letter. We now demand their plans to fix all the defects in writing and if they can't offer this then a reasonable person would assume they have no intention to fix things. Let us me know what you think.

Letter sent to: [Names removed]

Re: ’Your home’ email from Metricon 17.01.2018

Thank you for your email on 17.01.2018 (attached) and your desire to get involved and bring in. We suggest the best way for you to get on the same page quickly is to read the 16 documents that we have sent about these issues over the past 2 months. Please consult with them. If anything is not clear after that please contact me for details.

Following this please:

1. Conduct a thorough inspection to confirm the building defects and variances to the contract that we have brought to Metricon’s attention over the past 2 months, as well as identify any additional defects not noted by us.

2. Send us the the details in writing of your inspection, and Metricon's plans (with timings) to complete the build as per the contract and Australian standards, as soon as possible.

Once we have received your comprehensive report with your proposed rectification plans for each issue, we will then review it, and it would likely then be appropriate to schedule a time to meet with you and at your office in Norwest to discuss it. For your reference we have attached in a zip file in the email containing our 16 previous letters to Metricon. These letters have previously been emailed, and faxed and posted to Metricon.

[Removed - list of 16 letters, emailed as pdf, faxed and posted to Metricon per dispute communication requirements in contract]

There are a few emails sent by your team that they can provide you with.

We look forward to your report and proposal.

Kind regards,

Norfolk
Norfolk
HGMbuild
Norfolk
Hi K-Real,

Hi XXXX,

Norfolk.

They just do not care.

HI HGM, We have not yet paid the 'fixing' stage invoice and won't do this until Metricon have fixed the defects we identified. We have had 2 site meetings. The last one with the building manager and area manager was a waste of time. They didn't deliver later what they said they would at the meeting. FYI, Here is our last letter the the NSW General Manager. We now demand their plans to fix all the defects in writing and if they can't offer this then a reasonable person would assume they have no intention to fix things. Let us me know what you think.

Letter sent to: [Names removed] Area Manager, Building Manager, Construction Support Manager, Building Support Manager, Metricon joint CEO, NSW General Manager, Executive Building Manager, Site Manager

Re: ’Your home’ email from NSW General Manager 17.01.2018

Thank you [NSW General Manager] for your email on 17.01.2018 (attached) and your desire to get involved and bring in [Executive Building Manager] . We suggest the best way for you and [Executive Building Manager] to get on the same page quickly is to read the 16 documents that we have sent to [Construction Support Manager], [Building Manager], [Area Manager] about these issues over the past 2 months. Please consult with them. If anything is not clear after that please contact me for details.

Following this please:

1. Conduct a thorough inspection to confirm the building defects and variances to the contract that we have brought to Metricon’s attention over the past 2 months, as well as identify any additional defects not noted by us.

2. Send us the the details in writing of your inspection, and Metricon's plans (with timings) to complete the build as per the contract and Australian standards, as soon as possible.

Once we have received your comprehensive report with your proposed rectification plans for each issue, we will then review it, and it would likely then be appropriate to schedule a time to meet with you and [Executive Building Manager] at your office in Norwest to discuss it. For your reference we have attached in a zip file in the email containing our 16 previous letters to Metricon. These letters have previously been emailed, and faxed and posted to Metricon.

[Removed - list of 16 letters, emailed as pdf, faxed and posted to Metricon per dispute communication requirements in contract]

There are a few emails sent by your team that they can provide you with.

We look forward to your report and proposal.

Kind regards,

Norfolk

That’s a great letter, and I really hope they respond positively and in your favour to rectify all defective or incorrect work.
I would also suggest you mention to them that once you have given them the opportunity to rectify said issues and if they do not complete all work in a timely manner (because they love to put a “stop work” on houses that haven’t paid the invoices), you are legally entitled to take legal steps (Fair Trading or sue them via your solicitor).
Good luck, I really hope they fix all your issues soon.

Hi HGM, Thanks for your comments. Metricon have already tried some of their customer manipulation tactics to allow them to claim we are preventing them from proceeding so they can put their stop work on the build and pressure us this way. We have documented these approaches. To proceed now they simply need to do things properly and demonstrate their '6 stage quality assurance process' which they promote as a key element of 'The Metricon Difference'. The ball is in their court.

Metricon cannot legally claim they have completed the fixing stage and issue their invoice until they have completed the works as per contract specifications and within building standards. This means proper site drainage to minimise the risk of slab cracking, floors level, walls and ceilings straight, brickwork re-done, waterproofing done properly, as well as all the other building defects... Many of these defects they dismissed earlier as works in progress (our building inspector totally disagreed with this fob off comment). Earlier we put Metricon on notice that their practice of covering the defects up with subsequent layers is just to press the 'stage complete button' on their project management app that issues the invoice is not acceptable and we are completely within our rights to require them to remove such layers to inspect if this happens. Regarding fixing defects, we have demanded that Metricon explains in writing what they will do to fix each defect, and by when, so we can all agree on what the solution before inappropriate fixes, or any cover ups are implemented just to keep going. Such a plan is a normal and professional way to ensure everyone is on the same page. We feel its completely reasonable we demand to receive what we have paid for! Based on Metricon's written promise last week, They have 4 days left, i.e. by COB 25.01.2018, to inspect their own work, make suitable plans to rectify and confirm these to us in writing. Norfolk
blackcat20

Hi Blackcat,

Can you please post a screenshot of your kitchen plans. Here is the picture in the plans we approved, but the construction was very different. Norfolk.
Norfolk
blackcat20

Hi Blackcat,

Can you please post a screenshot of your kitchen plans. Here is the picture in the plans we approved, but the construction was very different. Norfolk.

The drawings show it above the window frame

Save
Norfolk
Hi HGM, Thanks for your comments. Metricon have already tried some of their customer manipulation tactics to allow them to claim we are preventing them from proceeding so they can put their stop work on the build and pressure us this way. We have documented these approaches. To proceed now they simply need to do things properly and demonstrate their '6 stage quality assurance process' which they promote as a key element of 'The Metricon Difference'. The ball is in their court.

Metricon cannot legally claim they have completed the fixing stage and issue their invoice until they have completed the works as per contract specifications and within building standards. This means proper site drainage to minimise the risk of slab cracking, floors level, walls and ceilings straight, brickwork re-done, waterproofing done properly, as well as all the other building defects... Many of these defects they dismissed earlier as works in progress (our building inspector totally disagreed with this fob off comment). Earlier we put Metricon on notice that their practice of covering the defects up with subsequent layers is just to press the 'stage complete button' on their project management app that issues the invoice is not acceptable and we are completely within our rights to require them to remove such layers to inspect if this happens. Regarding fixing defects, we have demanded that Metricon explains in writing what they will do to fix each defect, and by when, so we can all agree on what the solution before inappropriate fixes, or any cover ups are implemented just to keep going. Such a plan is a normal and professional way to ensure everyone is on the same page. We feel its completely reasonable we demand to receive what we have paid for! Based on Metricon's NSW General Manager's written promise last week, He and their Executive Building Manager now have 4 days left, i.e. by COB 25.01.2018, to inspect their own work, make suitable plans to rectify and confirm these to us in writing. Norfolk

We have received a response yesterday from Metricon to our recent request for an assessment and detailed plan of how they are going to fix their defective workmanship (with timings). Their response fails to acknowledge and address the serious defects like floors not level, walls and ceilings not straight, poor brickwork (which was subsequently damaged by acid cleaning), and clearly defective wet area waterproofing membrane application. This response is generic and dismissive. It seems Metricon clearly wants to ignore or cover up the defects and to continue works so they can complete the fixing stage and invoice us for this payment. We don't think there is any point painting Gyprock walls if they are not straight, for example. They have simply made broad 'motherhood' statements, and not provided the specific details we requested like how, and by when, the defects will be fixed. Here are some examples:

[Notes from Metricon 25.01.218]

Brickwork
- Metricon to provide report from brick manufacturer on bricks being compliant.
- Any bricks identified with discolouration, Norcor (paint!) to be applied to address any issues.
- Any outside of AS tolerance to be rectified by Metricon.

Walls and Ceilings
- All Walls and ceilings to be assessed after first coat of paint completed, through fully completed QA process.

Slab
- any undulations in slab to be rectified by Metricon prior to flooring being installed

Waterproofing
- All waterproofing will be completed in full, including rectification of existing Laundry and Powder Room works complete. All inspection and certification certificates to be supplied to owner, including relevant warranties and guarantees

Windows and Doors
- Will be assessed after all external scaffold removed and clean completed. Any rectification to frames or glazing to be addressed by Metricon

They also slipped a 'Formal Stop Work Notice' into their response:

Formal Stop Work Notice
- As per customers request, job placed on hold from date as requested by owner for all works to cease, and recommence once customer gives written confirmation of approval to recommence
(Note: we have never requested them to place the job on hold - just asked them to do things properly!)

Their generic, dismissive and inadequate response provides us with no confidence that Metricon intends to do things properly - to the applicable Australian standards. We believe they will cover defects up, promise to fix anything later or 'under warranty' just to secure their payment. Once they have most of the money it will be very difficult and time consuming for an owner to get things done. Has anyone else experienced similar?

Norfolk
Yes unfortunately I knew they were going to do this, because that’s what they tried to do to us!
It’s a catch 22 situation-
you don’t want them to continue without fixing all their mistakes first, and they won’t “fix” their mistakes unless they continue with the build.
It’s at a standstill and Metricon just loves to blame the home owner.
I agree with you, that the GM’s responses are very generic and I can appreciate your frustration.
My suggestion is to now seek legal advice, since they are claiming that you yourself asked for a ‘stop work’ order, when all you really wanted, was for them to fix things!

HGMbuild
Yes unfortunately I knew they were going to do this, because that’s what they tried to do to us!
you don’t want them to continue without fixing all their mistakes first, and they won’t “fix” their mistakes unless they continue with the build.
I agree with you, that the GM’s responses are very generic and I can appreciate your frustration.
My suggestion is to now seek legal advice, since they are claiming that you yourself asked for a ‘stop work’ order, when all you really wanted, was for them to fix things!

Its clear from our experience over the past 3 months that Metricon has no intention of doing things properly, to the Australian standards as required by the contract and legal action is necessary to get them to deliver what's been paid for. Its pathetic that this attitude and unconscionable conduct is endemic to the company's culture and is appears to be supported by the the business. We suggest that anyone contemplating building with Metricon considers our experience, and other bloggers carefully, and anyone who's been burnt should lodge a complaint here:
https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/cont ... umer-issue
Norfolk
HGMbuild

Its clear from our experience over the past 3 months that Metricon has no intention of doing things properly, to the Australian standards as required by the contract and legal action is necessary to get them to deliver what's been paid for. Its pathetic that this attitude and unconscionable conduct is endemic to the company's culture and is appears to be supported by all levels within the business including state GM's and the company's joint CEO's. We suggest that anyone contemplating building with Metricon considers our experience, and other bloggers carefully, and anyone who's been burnt should lodge a complaint here:
https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/cont ... umer-issue

Here is a picture of the living room ceiling our place, indicative of the defects in the other rooms ceilings and walls. It has a +20mm bow, as demonstrated by a 2m straight edge and 2 x 10mm black Macsim window packers from Bunnings. Metricon expects to paint this to claim the fixing stage is complete and make us pay for their poor workmanship! They say if we don't agree to this they will claim damages payments on us for stopping their work. If we agree then we would have to either accept it, or project manage fixing this with their customer service department under their 'warranty' after handover!

Take care!

Quirmeball1280
Umm, M must really dislike white walls by now cause it’s so easy to mark and they will then have to rectify
I wonder why they don’t wait to do a final coat at the very end.

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846

That’s what my ss is doing. He said by 2nd cost you can see all the faults. Therefore he gets the plaster to fix it all first then do the third coat.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Done our PCI on Friday and had indipendent inspection done on Mon. Listed 80 problems to get fixed before i write final cheque. Inspector was generally happy with the house saying that most of the things are within the building standard. We gave them the deadline 2 weeks to rectify all the problems so now we've gotta wait for 2 month to get it done (this is based on 6 month delay over contract time). i am not religious much but i dont know if i should start praying for things to start moving faster...🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Related
14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

26/03/2024
Help! Why are my hybrid floors coming loose?

General Discussion

A Sabco spin mop, minimal moisture, not very regularly. I was told these hybrids are water resistant 🤷‍♀️

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum