Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Inspired Homes/Como Homes - Handover

Page 7 of 14
Dispensation approved .. oh and while we're at it, BUILDING PERMIT TOO!!! My CA sprung that one on me, I squealed in the office

Waiting on an official site start date, but before the end of the month, and maybe even next week. Eep!!
Fences are going up on Friday with site cut scheduled for Monday. When things happen they happen! Been assigned a SS who I believe is a recent poach from Arden, initials BA. All systems go! I'm so excited!!
Clareymoo
Fences are going up on Friday with site cut scheduled for Monday. When things happen they happen! Been assigned a SS who I believe is a recent poach from Arden, initials BA. All systems go! I'm so excited!!

Awesome! Sounds great Clareymoo! Best wishes

Manj
Clareymoo

Thanks Manj, how are you going?
Clareymoo
Manj
Clareymoo

Moved to a rental last week .. services abolished awaiting demolition now ...

Manj
Clareymoo
Manj

Moved to a rental last week .. services abolished awaiting demolition now ...

oh hey that's exciting! not moving that sucks but about to start
Week 1

Not sure if I mentioned earlier but some lovely human being dumped 2 truck loads of fill on ours and our neighbour's property a few weeks ago. Thanks a lot a-holes. So once we had site start confirmed we had to get about to getting it moved as Como didn't want a bar of it. Asked my CA when the temp fences were due to go up and it was Friday last week so we rushed to find someone help us with the piles of dirt. Received quotes of' upwards of $1k, luckily our current neighbour has a bob cat and was able to get out on Thursday last week and spread it over our blocks for $500. Turns out the fences didn't go up till Tuesday or Wednesday this week so we didn't have to rush him, but anyway, it's done.

I did a drive by on Monday around lunch time, fully expecting nothing to have happened due to the crappy weather, but, to my excitement the site cut hard started, right on schedule. Went past again on Wednesday late afternoon (I work part time and live close by) and the cut was completed with tradies there working on the set out. We went past again today about 10am and the majority of the screw piles have been completed which is awesome. My friend went by a couple of hours after us and there was work happening on the final screw piles.

Haven't heard from our SS yet but do have his contact details. I'm not worried as there's nothing really for him to tell us yet. I expect to hear from him late this coming week as he will need to advise when our inspector can go out for pre-slab inspection. Slab pour is not scheduled till 8 August to plenty of time between then and now.

Week 2

Went past the block twice this week, Wednesday and Saturday. Wednesday we saw that the plumbing is in (down pipes, out door drains, bathrooms etc) and the electricity meter box is up on it's pedestal seemingly floating in the air. No visible change from Wednesday to Saturday.

SS called on Tuesday but I missed the call. He left a message to advise our slab pour has been delayed a week till the 15th. Not worried about it really - we think that maybe they are timing the slab pour with our site and another Como build 3 houses down from us to get them done on the same day. Total speculation there but what else is there to do but think about these things.
Clareymoo
Week 2

Went past the block twice this week, Wednesday and Saturday. Wednesday we saw that the plumbing is in (down pipes, out door drains, bathrooms etc) and the electricity meter box is up on it's pedestal seemingly floating in the air. No visible change from Wednesday to Saturday.

SS called on Tuesday but I missed the call. He left a message to advise our slab pour has been delayed a week till the 15th. Not worried about it really - we think that maybe they are timing the slab pour with our site and another Como build 3 houses down from us to get them done on the same day. Total speculation there but what else is there to do but think about these things.

Just gives u opportunity to take photos
and count the piers - and their locations as per engineering drawing
Good luck Clareymoo! It finally begins.

Week 3

Not much action again this week. Spoke to our SS on Wednesday and he let me know slab pour is scheduled for Wednesday this week and to book in our inspector on Tuesday afternoon. I gave them each other's email addresses and they worked out the appointment between themselves with me cc'd in, too easy! Drove past on the weekend and the only changes at site are the site cut has been smoothed out again after the plumbing went in and the piers have pretty blue caps on them. Went past again today and nothing has changed. Not sure how they'll go getting all the slab steel and pods ready before 3pm tomorrow so feeling that our inspection and slab pour will be pushed out by a day or two.
Week 4

Nothing happened.
Week 5

Again not a whole lot happened this week, drove past yesterday and the foam for the slab pods and reinforcement steel has been delivered. Inspector is booked in (again) for midday tomorrow and concrete pour to start on Tuesday .. hopefully. SS has been easy to talk to so no worries, it'll get done when it's done.
Finally got our pre-slab inspection done today and so I assume an invoice from Como will be imminent. Is the surveyor sign off sent with the invoice or do we have to request it separately?
Independent inspection reports - our was sent to our SS and he said he forwarded it on to the concreter. Do they have to do anything with it? How do we know the suggested errors have been fixed? Do we push the SS or do we go to our CA? Suddenly feeling a bit not in control of things.

That being said our inspector said there's nothing overly major just a few additional supports and reinforcements to be added before they pour.
Clareymoo
Independent inspection reports - our was sent to our SS and he said he forwarded it on to the concreter. Do they have to do anything with it? How do we know the suggested errors have been fixed? Do we push the SS or do we go to our CA? Suddenly feeling a bit not in control of things.

That being said our inspector said there's nothing overly major just a few additional supports and reinforcements to be added before they pour.

just ask for photos - that's all u can do. And better ask now how they gonna give feedback on inspectors report.
Clareymoo

I had a similar situation....

Inspection done at 2:30pm the day before pour was scheduled. Concreter was there at the time and inspector went through it all with him (had marked all the issues with spray paint) and he starting fixing things immediately (There were quite a few but they were all pretty small, the inspector did say it would take him a while though).
Inspector then left at 3:30 and sent through written report at 4:30pm.
By 8pm I had received no update or photos and couldn't get hold of the site supervisor.

7:30 am I arrived on site and 1/4 of the slab had already been poured. Phoned site supervisor who told me "don't worry, everything has been fixed and we will send through photos".
Spoke to concreter who also said that everything has been fixed
Got photos at about 10am, which were pretty vague and didn't show too much.

By then it was all covered with concrete, so I just have to take their word for it? Not ideal....

Fortunately the concreter was very cooperative and happy to talk to me, which was reassuring
brokenstick
Clareymoo

I had a similar situation....

Inspection done at 2:30pm the day before pour was scheduled. Concreter was there at the time and inspector went through it all with him (had marked all the issues with spray paint) and he starting fixing things immediately (There were quite a few but they were all pretty small, the inspector did say it would take him a while though).
Inspector then left at 3:30 and sent through written report at 4:30pm.
By 8pm I had received no update or photos and couldn't get hold of the site supervisor.

7:30 am I arrived on site and 1/4 of the slab had already been poured. Phoned site supervisor who told me "don't worry, everything has been fixed and we will send through photos".
Spoke to concreter who also said that everything has been fixed
Got photos at about 10am, which were pretty vague and didn't show too much.

By then it was all covered with concrete, so I just have to take their word for it? Not ideal....

Fortunately the concreter was very cooperative and happy to talk to me, which was reassuring

Pretty much the same with us. Hubby spoke to the SS today and he said they had all been fixed and the DJM guy picked up similar things. First part of concrete has been poured today, second lot tomorrow.

I guess if anything goes wrong with the slab in the coming years we have written proof of all this.

I'm a bit excited to go and walk on our concrete on the weekend though
Week 6

We have a slab! Went over to check it out today and the tradies were there removing the supports from the second pour. As we have a split level they poured the base level first then after it dried off for a day or so, they poured the extra layer for the top level. Looks great and I am itching to walk on it .. we'll do that tomorrow.

Frames to be delivered this week however may not start immediately as SS is waiting for a particular carpenter to finish a job in Dandenong.

Week 7

Following on from my last post we went back and walked on the slab last Sunday. Had fun with my kiddo pretending we were in the shower or the bath or the alfresco.

This week our frames were delivered, both the wood and steel parts, but no action just yet. We are still waiting on the framer that my SS is after. The job he was on in Dandenong turned out to be a bit more complicated and took a bit longer. I'm ok, an extra week seems like nothing after waiting so long to even start! Communication from SS has been good and I don't feel out of the loop. Hopefully the framers start before the end of the week.

The site has been cleaned up a bit since the plumbing and slab went in, the driveway was not as nice and smooth as below last week, some fill has been moved in around the slab to even it up and the big orange bin is back up, but on the nature strip. I wonder what junk they will discover in it that people have dumped. We already have 2 random chairs next to it ..

Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

10/05/2024
Final Invoice and Key Handover

Building A New House

Hi Need to read your contract about when final payment is received. Clearly outlines what happens. In vic, known defects or incomplete work must be completed before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum