Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 7 of 862
Thanks Perry, The Stanford 23, and I went with few extra extra options, which came as the promotion which I was happy about it.

I think compare to some of the other builders (Metricon and Simonds) they were a little more expensive, but looking at the quality of the houses, I decided to pay the little extra for better quality.

I also made a Blog now, if you want to have a look at it.

http://hftshouse.blogspot.com/
Well done - a nice home, and good work on the blog!

In case you are interested, I've added you to the following blog thread:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1522

In my humble opinion, even though PD may seem more expensive, when you get the quote for a completed home with the extras, they don't stack up too badly.

I look forward to the blog updates!
Cheers
Perry
Two days till handover! We're so excited!!!!

We had an independant inspector come in & look through the house. They only picked up 1 or 2 additional things that the PD independant inspector didn't pick up. And thy're being resolved pretty quickly. So we're very happy.

Now...assuming the vandalised windows saga ends on a happy note (it's all detailed in another thread), we should be in our new home in a couple of days.

Yay!!!
Windsor47
The next option would be to pay PD for the designs and get it submitted like perryr said. But how would that guarantee anything for me. PD could disagree on any of the changes the developer wants and I would end up back where I started. If I go down that path I would definitely want PD to commit on certain things. Even then, it would leave them with a lot of room to say no to me and get more money out of it.
I would love to get the developer and PD into a room together. I don't know how I am going to arrange that. I can't even get hold of anyone in PD with authority to talk to me. The area sales manager sent me a message saying that he will call me back and that was it. I tried call their head office in Hallam but my call got blocked at the reception cos they said that the sales manager has to refer me there to his superior officer. I am really getting nowhere here. Like I said, any suggestions on other builders that could possibly do the job? I'm looking at Me-tr-coN and maybe simonds or henley. Don't really have a thread on this forum for the first two eh? pM me if anyone got any suggestions

The Windsor 47 was my second choice.

Its an awesome hose and there are a few little mods that can be done to increase the living areas that they don't tell you about!!

How did you end up?

Matt
Hello Everyone. This is our first post on the forum.
We are planning to start building in Oct 07 at point cook. We have already purchased the land.

We are either going with PD - Entertainer or Met*** - Tribecca.

Thanks to everyone for posting some wonderful reviews on various builders.

Our first experience with PD is wonderful. The sales consultant was too good. We are extremely happy with the responses, options etc. Price is a bit on the high side compared to others but if you stack up all the options its almost same.

One question at this stage is that the PD sales consultation told us that that site costs are fixed and she even gave us site cost before the initial $600 deposit. Does the site cost change after soil test? Then why do they say it is fixed site cost?

Met** is another story that I will post later but the sales staff there is also wonderful. The plans are good but have heard some horrific experiences on these forums with them so trying to be careful.
satskape
One question at this stage is that the PD sales consultation told us that that site costs are fixed and she even gave us site cost before the initial $600 deposit. Does the site cost change after soil test? Then why do they say it is fixed site cost?

Look at it in the sense that it is essentially a promotion. They will charge you that amount regardless of what your soil tests reveal. It is good in the sense that if they quote you $X and it actually costs $Y then you won't need to front more money because the price is fixed.

We had a fixed site cost as well. Others have build with PD (and other builders) and were quite surprised at the results of their soil tests.
Welcome to the forum. Site costs can change, however if you are building in an estate where the builder already has some construction, they can give a pretty good estimate of the site costs.

The actual site costs will be discussed with you at your Tender appointment. Once you sign at the Tender Appointment, the site costs are fixed - although a few people have reported minor variations with a couple of builders.

Check some of the blogs
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1522

and the site costs threads
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1513

for a bit more info.
Cheers
Perry
Thank you YSSIM and perryr.

Hopefully the site costs after soil tests will remain same. I had a similar quote with Met*** on site cost so I think they both have built in the area and are quoting it right. Also the land fall is with in the standard.
satskape
Thank you YSSIM and perryr.

Hopefully the site costs after soil tests will remain same. I had a similar quote with Met*** on site cost so I think they both have built in the area and are quoting it right. Also the land fall is with in the standard.

Hello Satskape, Welcome to the forum, looks like me and you and also my brother will be building in a same month, our job should commence in October as well. The other day I noticed that they took a soil test from my land, so I am hoping that the allowance that has been given me (about 9,000.00) will be reduced so I can spend it on electrical a little more. Anyway Good luck and keep us posted.
OK, today I had a little problem with Porter Davis and ready depending on their decision, I am ready to pull the plug off with them.

I requested to change the layout a little so the standford 23 instead of looking like Lyndherst display, it will look like a Highland display, which basically, changing the position of the 1 window and 1 sliding door.

They have already the drawings as they have the exact house in display, considering I have my contract appointment on the 18-May, I got a phone call that they will charge me $300.00 for changing the layout, which was like DDAHHHHHH. And made my blood boiling.

So I gave the call and send an email confirmation to them that this change is before the contract appointment and any changes I request as long as it is a standard change it should be at the same cost and there should not be any additional fees for it. End of the day they have the drawing already with the same price and since I know the drawing package, it will take the draftsman about 5 min to copy and paste that section into my layout at the max.

So now the sales guys has got in touch with the Area Business Manager and if I get this approve that I will get this change with no additional fee, I will stay with them, otherwise I really will take off and go with someone else, as I have already spend about 20,000 for the variation and I think this 300.00 is my right and I really should not pay for it. So let’s see what they will say and I will update you as soon as I have some update myself.
It all came to an end with PD mid last week and I had to stop the whole process to go further, as I was called a Dictator, by the first lovely builder I chose!!!

This is to an answer I gut to the question “why PD is not Flexible at all on making appointment?”, and they said, they can not wait and the customer dictates them when they should make an appointment so they tell me on their available time when to come and select the colour, tile and the contract... HELLLOOO, WHO IS THE CUSTOMER HERE??? PD or the Client????

And off course they did not want to give up their $300.00 for the swapping the window and the door, so I cancelled the whole thing and now I signed up with their biggest rival "Henley".

So let's see how much better these new people are, so far the price has been better, and I have not been called a DICTATOR and I am getting 3 sq for the same money!!! (Wish me luck)
Note to self...

"Do not p*ss off htarash"

Matt
Let us know how you get on with henley.

I'm starting to think that perhaps all of these companies have their problems - although I'm prepapred to concede that there are good and bad stories for every company.

Perry
htarash
So let's see how much better these new people are, so far the price has been better, and I have not been called a DICTATOR and I am getting 3 sq for the same money!!! (Wish me luck)

Sorry to hear about your experience with PD. I hope that Henley treat you a lot better.

Just a question regarding your line about the price - 3sq extra for the same price. Is that on the base price? If so, that's a good deal.
I really hope so as well, and Thanks.

Yes, the standford 23 sq with a base price of 140,900, and Henley Carynia with 25.67 sq with 140,900 BASE so really 2.67 Extra. also Henley came with stone bench top to Kitchen, ensuit, and bath, which PD was charging me $3,000 for it. I am tryin to get a free dishwasher from Henley though. This is something that PD was offering and Henley does not offer as a promotion. I think overall the standard inclusion of Henley was much better in my idea. and they did not have a big list of Variation like PD. almost everything was standard in the display I saw, which for PD in my experience everything was extra.
htarash
I really hope so as well, and Thanks.

Yes, the standford 23 sq with a base price of 140,900, and Henley Carynia with 25.67 sq with 140,900 BASE so really 2.67 Extra. also Henley came with stone bench top to Kitchen, ensuit, and bath, which PD was charging me $3,000 for it. I am tryin to get a free dishwasher from Henley though. This is something that PD was offering and Henley does not offer as a promotion. I think overall the standard inclusion of Henley was much better in my idea. and they did not have a big list of Variation like PD. almost everything was standard in the display I saw, which for PD in my experience everything was extra.

Well, I think every reader of this forum is hoping things will go smoothly for you.

In regards to promotions and what you get free - it's all about timing and what they're offering at the present time. When we were going with Henley we couldn't get the stone benchtop (nor a dishwasher) where as we got them for free with PD. And you know, standard inclusions (if you like or dislike them) is a matter of personal taste. The main thing is that you're going to be happy living in your house. So, again, good luck and keep us posted.
Hi everyone,
We have been in our Hamilton 34 for 3 months now. We had our 3 month inspection today.
We had a really good experience with PD, had a great site supervisor who was very quick to return calls and act on our behalf.
We love our home and are very happy. Although one thing we are not happy about is that they cut way too much out for the site cut that when our fences were put up, there were massive gaps underneath them (so our fur babies could escape quite easily), we are in the process of reporting this to PD to rectify with some retaining walls. Hope they come to the party!

I have found the paint work in the house leaves a lot to be desired and chips so easily. But other than that we have been one of the "lucky" ones. We did our own tiles and carpet and timber entrance and saved heaps. We also had a friend of ours do all our cupboards/cabinets.

Good luck to eveyone.
ok....

well, all was going along fairly smoothly, some stupid prices, fairly non-efficient customer service....but nothing too stressful....till yesterday!

Our file was finally due to go to construction this friday to start building in the next week or two...so rang our customer service person yesterday just to ensure the building permit was issued and that our bank had sent them all the paperwork they needed.....

But no......they have had to re-apply for a "build over easement" permission which is going to take another 3-6 weeks...then the building permit is issued, then we go to construction...so our house will possiby not start for another 2 months.....

And they hadn't even bothered to let us know till we ring them to check everything is ok
Just a little oversight I would have thought??

Just a complete lack of due care and attention to customer service...
Quote:
Just a little oversight I would have thought??

Just a complete lack of due care and attention to customer service...

That pretty much sums it up....

After much "discussion" and unleashing the dragon onto them (the other half)
they are suddenly saying they sould have it all sorted out next week....will not hold breath, but a little more positive than yesterday...
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum