Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Plunkett Homes Perth

Page 7 of 10
We are currently building with Plunkett in the Perth Hills. Love the house design but have found Plunkett extremely difficult to deal with. Communications with our site supervisor is almost non-existant.
Hi Morph

We feel the same way.
We were not given the contact number of the site supervisor and haven't been able to contact him directly.
Everytime we had to call the CLO to ask her to ask him something and sometimes it takes too long to get an answer.
We just finished the bricking stage, and only got to speak to the ss once during the brickie meeting.
Which stage are you up to?
So far we are happy with the progress, however would be even happier if there are regular communications from the ss.
We are new here and perhaps should have signed on a long time ago. Morph our experience with Plunkett seems similar to others.

(We are currently building with Plunkett in the Perth Hills. Love the house design but have found Plunkett extremely difficult to deal with. Communications with our site supervisor is almost non-existant.)

We started discussions with Plunkett July 09. we spent quite some time getting a house design worked up - done Dec09 and very happy with the plan. Delays as wrong plans sent to drafties. Contract signing in March. Sneaked a council approval in exactly 45 days after that (May) (as per contract) now 17 weeks later not a tree or blade of grass has been turned. Estimators errors have hiked up costs by $11,000 on site works - previous estimator errors was signed off by us trying to be accomodating. Now we are not so accomodating. A couple of changes in Plunkett contact personnel, assurances that price would be as stated denied, admission of errors made by Plunkett admitted by phone, then denied by email. Called the lawyers, no building done within 17 weeks of contract, now we are in the process of terminating the contract - Has anyone else had experience in terminating contract and avoiding penalties prior to build anyone?
Hi Fireflies,

Am also new to this site. Cant say we have had any experience with terminating a building contract but it has crossed our minds a couple of times in the last couple of months!

We signed with Plunkett in end Oct 09, had pre-start Feb. Building license finally came through a couple of weeks ago - way ouside the 45 working days!!! And definitely no fault of ours or the council. It took 6 attempts just to get the house correctly placed in the building envelope - much to our frustration given that we provided a picture with the correct positioning in Dec 09 (which somehow got lost) and then corrected the drawings at pre-start, and then scanned a correct drawing when they came out wrong again! Rather frustrating... Since everytime they had to be corrected took 2 weeks with drafting, then another week or so with council! And that wasnt the only issues. But I wont go on!

Plunkett were great about us doing our own site works, we have a 5 acre block with a 2000sqm Building envelope. The block has quite a slope so we had to get a fair bit of cut and fill done. We did that before the first survey was taken so no provision sum was included in the contract for that. However there was a PS for an access track and compacting the actual house pad. Just the other week they said our access track which is actually our driveway was too steep and the alternative was going to be about $15k, the PS was only about $8k. We negotiated an alternative shorter track with them and are getting our guy to do it for about $4.5k.

We love the house we have chosen (Woodbridge) and despite all the issues so far, will soldier on, not sure if its an option for you to look at doing your own site works but probably worth thinking about before you throw in the towel!

Good luck!
Milestone achieved today...!

Pad went down today.

It took some perseverance to get here and sometimes I doubted if I would see it.

Roll on bricks & window frames arriving!
4 Aug 2010
Congrats Wrexy, good to hear of yr progress.

We signed final VO & plans on 02/08/10 after pre-start on 13/05/10, a lapse of two and a half months. I think it took too long!

The kitchen layout changes we asked for took Drafting and Estimating weeks to draw and quote, while some revisions on VO/Specifications/Drawings are for correcting errors and omissions. We have a new CS support person since July, previous one left for “greener” pasture (another builder). This compounded the delay too.

Our build is now in Scheduling. Slab pour imminent. We are just waiting to hear dates. Just hope pace will pick up right after slab down. Overall, we are satisfied with the outcome so far.

Cheers,
AGr
Right after my post on Wed 4/8, I was told footing work will start today 6/8, and slab work will start Monday 9/8. Fantastic, after waiting for soooo loooog. Was told by builder that the water meter or tap was stolen, they are requesting WaterCorp to replace one. Somehow the tradies managed to get water and job will proceed as scheduled. Hope this builds up momentum for a good progress.

Anyone has got their site stuff stolen? Won't want to hear of what else going missing next !!!

Cheers,
AG
Building Sandhurst and found out today that the rear of kitchen cupboards that are clearly on view and made of standard board (MDF with Laminex) rather than the matching vinyl wrap that is included in price with this home and was a selling feature used by rep many times. Plunkett said they don't consider the back of cupboards beneath bench as being kitchen cupboards therefore no vinyl wrap (also said it was common complaint) - seems like only painting half a door to me.

Have fired off email to sales rep as he advised when we viewed many times that the kitchen on display was "as included" which included the cupboards matching back and front. If the rear wasn't so on view, wouldn't care too much.

If you are building Sandhurst or any other with with exposed cupboard rears, what have you done with selection of rear sides? Also, today, well after pre-start was the first time anybody asked us what colour we wanted our board/panels in??
HI Wrexy and Ag

Congratulations to you both on your progress. I would imagine once things actually are underway that the waiting is not so bad. At least you have got something to watch. Keep us updated with your progress.

We had our plans knocked back by the shire and have had to completely turn the house around to fit it in the building envelope. The plans are almost ready to be re submitted. I am hoping that because they have previously been submitted that this time the process will be quicker. They initially went in, in march. It has been a long waiting game but I am confidant that once they finally get started everything should be fine.

Cheers,

Toby.
Hi All,
just a quick update for everyone.
We are buillding on a rear block in Riverton, a custom build as nothing would fit.
Slab went down in March, lock-up was about 3 weeks ago.
Our experience has been very good...I can honestly say that since we started in March, apart from the weekends there has NOT been one day where a trasesman hasnt been at the block.
Infact today our glass splashback went into the kitchen and looks great.

There has been a few minor hick-ups along the way (more tradesman errors) than Plunkett mistakes. Either I of the SS has picked these up quickly and had them rectified.

I agree that communication with the SS isnt that frequent, however I live so close (100m) to the block, that I am there twice a day and act as a second SS. Usually I pick up any issues before they do.

At this rate all that is left is: elec fitout (power points etc...), plumbing fitout (HWS, taps) and the driveway (exposed agg)...I think handover will be in a bout 4 weeks time, so mid September.

So all up 6 months from slab down.
Hi Alexjohn,

Nice to hear of your build progress that is going steadily since slab down. Perhaps your close monitoring help keep the tradies on the ball. Though building with the same company, all of us experience varying degrees of satisfaction, perhaps because of the different staff and teams assigned. You are the lucky one assigned with a good team. I wish to be lucky too. Will see when bricking starts....

Cheers,
AG
fulhamfc

If you are building Sandhurst or any other with with exposed cupboard rears, what have you done with selection of rear sides? Also, today, well after pre-start was the first time anybody asked us what colour we wanted our board/panels in??

Hi fullhamfc,

I believe you should get the exact same kitchen finish as the Sandhurst display in Baldivis, of course to the colour of your choice.

Just to share with you our experience with kitchen cupboard facing and colour. We changed the Sandhurst kitchen. We have an island bench in lieu of the long bench angling 120 degrees towards the pantry. We narrowed the fridge/freezer recess and added an oven/microwave stack, easier on the back when using oven. We are charged VO costs for the kitchen modification, but have no detail itemised costing.

During our pre-start, the coordinator did ask what cupboard door design and colour we decided on. This is part of the addenda detail. She even asked if we wanted similar cupboard finish for the bench and island end facings. I think they charged us, but included in the kitchen VO. This will provide complete uniform look with the cupboard facing.

I think what you see in the display is what you should get per the Sovereign spec, esp when you are not making any modifications.

Good luck and hope you resolved it to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
AG
Thanks AG - your thoughts same as mine.

We shall see what they say but at present they maintain that only cupboard doors are included as vinyl wrap and the rear of cupboards that are in family/dining have to be laminex unless we want to pay extra. IMO they should be same otherwise you have two different finishes and colour on display.

Silly thing is they have quoted same price to upgrade from laminex to High Gloss VW or STD Matt VW which doesnt fill you full of confidence with any of their prices as High Gloss is supposed to be significantly more expensive (we are paying a cost to upgrade from std vinyl wrap to HG for doors).
Hi Alexjohn,

Good to hear your positive comments. Good luck, it sounds like it won't be long before you are getting ready to move in. Do you plan to get your flooring etc done before you move in or will you be doing a room at a time as you go along.
Thanks for the up date,

Cheers,

Toby.
hi toby,
I will be doing solid timber flooring throughout the living areas, after handover but before we move in.
The bedrooms will have carpet, already paid for, will be instaled after the timber flooring.

Then once that is done we will move in
Just an update on our Plunkett experience and tips for others having problems with them.

We started discussions with a sales rep in July 09. The design was finalised in Dec. Contract signed in early March. Council approval came through just on 45 days. At the time of scheduling (17 weeks after contract signing
) we were sent a VO with a 21% increase on Provisional Sums. This was due to error in the estimators and contractual errors on the HIA lump sum contract. We baulked up at this price increase and the long delays and numerous issues with communications and errors and have lost faith with the management of our build. We went with Plunkett based on house design and reputation. Unfortunately our experience reading this forum is that service is patchy - good and bad experieinces and I can only put that down to different quality of staff and failure at management level to ensure overall quality of service. We have learnt the ropes regarding contractual law and approaches to termination and though we are not through the process yet we are making headway. One contract with them has been accepted as void in a letter today. The other building contract is still in dispute.

So the purpose of this post is not to post more complaints about Plunkett (room precludes a full inventory
), once we are done with them we will be satisfied. However if anyone is starting negotiations with them or is having problems then our advise is as follows;
Keep a diary record of any conversations with Sales staff and other Plunkett contacts especially regarding details not written in the contract.
Keep all emails and communcations in order in a speerate folder.
Ensure that the contract is properly completed and consider having a lawyer assess it before signing it. We were given the contract only the evening before we were meant to sign it.
Ensure that all aspects of the HIA lump sum contract is filled in - the provision for mark-up on Provisional Sums at the end (item 11) (which is typically 15%) was left blank.
Where you suspect that Plunkett or other builder is not complying with contract the people to contact in WA are; - the Builders Registration Board to whom all unreolved conflicts can be referred. A potential $50 000 fine is in the statutes were a builder through intent or incompetence grossly under estimates Provisional Sums.
- Housing Institute of Australia (based in Qld) has a pay per minute advice line. Though they cannot resolve an issue for you they can advise whether a legal issue exists.
- The Law Society of WA will give you 3 contacts for 3 lawyers listed as experienced in building disputes. If none suit then they will give more names if required.
Finally ensure that all VO, contracts, finance, council requirements of you are addressed in a timely fashion so that no blame can be apportioned on you the client for delays.

Of course we all go into the process of buidling with the intent of having a nice house built, but if your $3-400 000 investment is not being given due care by your builder then why should you accept second rate service.

Will update when we are further along the process.
Hi firefly / all

We too just noticed that the Item 11 of HIA Contract Schedule relating to the % mark up that builder can take on provisional sums is blank on our contract too. The clause reads that the Provisional Sum includes a mark up already and this clause is just declaring the actual % they take. If this clause is blank does this mean they are not entitled to mark up (I think not)?

Is anyone else's Schedule Item 11 blank? and anyone else considered the implications? Just wondering if it is a common occurrence and being somewhat cynical, why Plunkett do this?
Hi fireflies,

I empathise with your situation, practically spent a year progressing no further than drawings and paperwork.

Not aware where your site is, but noting that site works PS was grossly misquoted, I guess yours may not be a typical suburban block, perhaps a huge one in the hills or remote area.

I recall reading other posts in this thread that their site works quotes were way over the top, and PH was quite happy to let the owners undertake their own site works.

Reputed for its country design homes and century old experience, PH is expected to be well familiar with building in the outback, hills or regional areas; and therefore would have enough experience to deal with more complex or extensive site works and the associated costs.

It appears site works is their Achilles heel. The management should seriously look into this matter and take corrective action. Otherwise, great design, quality construction and competitive pricing are all negated by this deficiency.

I will surely keep a look out on your progress to resolve this impasse.

Good luck.

AG
fulhamfc and AubinGrover - just briefly. The advice from the HIA and our lawyer is that the HIA lump sum contract Schedule 11 should represent the markup on the Provisional Sums. Given that the HIA had the contracts written I trust that the HIA advice is correct. Why Plunkett has neglected to complete that part of the contract does raise questions. I am not sure what the implication is but if we proceed to the Building Disputes Tribunal then I am sure we will get a (binding) clarification and perhaps Plunkett may address that in the future. Whether it leaves them open to dispute of any and all markups they apply to the PS on current contracts would be an interesting matter to follow up with.
Thanks - Clause 10 of the Contract itself actually states that the PS quoted in Schedules (i.e. actual $ amounts) already includes a % markup/margin and, Item 11 in Schedule is actually there to detail for all what the actual mark up is/was so its transparent.

With a "blank" field, you could read it as they have applied 0% margin (not likely) and I will raise with Plunketts now as it does seem odd they have missed this off when all other areas diligently completed.

Cheers
Related
29/01/2024
Building with Status Residential Perth, Yeah Nah?

Building A New House

What is your feedback of Status residential please ?

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum