Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 590 of 723
CathyLeigh
J and A
:: PCI booked 23rd July. Almost there.!

That's great news J and A

Good time of year to move in with that beautiful fireplace you are getting.

Can't wait to see plenty of photos.

CathyLeigh

Looking forward to the warmth:) It's alot colder where we are moving too as well!
Wow guys lots of people getting there keys now.

It's been 1 week since we got our and haven't seen anyone from McDonald jones to finish the thing that where not done before handover.
Still missing A/C vent in kids activity, all post and downpipes to be painted, damaged roof sheets , damaged sliding doors to alfresco . Also fix our smoke alarms. Which we get to handover and the battery are flat how is that when they are brand new .

It's been 1 week since we got our and haven't seen anyone from McDonald jones to finish the thing that where not done before handover.
Still missing A/C vent in kids activity, all post and downpipes to be painted, damaged roof sheets , damaged sliding doors to alfresco . Also fix our smoke alarms. Which we get to handover and the battery are flat how is that when they are brand new .

KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee
Just got this e-mail off CLO from the drafting team:

1) Due to the driveway gradient we need to provide a dropped garage. If the clients wants to keep the internal access (in the garage) we can drop the garage 514mm but we have to export 87 tonnes of spoil from the rear of the house. If we delete the internal access we can increase the split and even out the cut and fill needed (no need to export spoil)

2) They can go back to a type M slab in lieu of H1 and delete the requirements for aggressive soil. All as per soil classification in LF.

3) Just for their information I had to reduce the width of the house through the Alfresco / family / dining / wir / master and an additional 450mm through the Alfresco. This is all due to the easement.

Can anyone shed some light on this? When I first met with them at the sales they said my house will fit on the land perfectly & will be awesome..

Should I call them to go through point 3.. However what does point 1 & 2 mean?
Should I be worried?

Hi Kristylee,can you tell me how did you with the garage dropped down? Did you end up no internal entry?

Hi Echo305

We ended up dropping the garage 514mm and we kept internal access..

We could've dropped down less but lost internal access and we didn't want that.

In saying that I'm so glad we have gone with McDonald Jones - they have been so helpful with this & I'm really looking forward to it - I know someone else building with Champion Homes and they didn't give them an option they just done it & said this is what is happening whereas McDonald Jones spoke to us about it etc..

Have you considered setting you house back one or two metres further from front.
Also agree that MJH are great at working with you to find a solution
KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee

1) Due to the driveway gradient we need to provide a dropped garage. If the clients wants to keep the internal access (in the garage) we can drop the garage 514mm but we have to export 87 tonnes of spoil from the rear of the house. If we delete the internal access we can increase the split and even out the cut and fill needed (no need to export spoil)

2) They can go back to a type M slab in lieu of H1 and delete the requirements for aggressive soil. All as per soil classification in LF.

3) Just for their information I had to reduce the width of the house through the Alfresco / family / dining / wir / master and an additional 450mm through the Alfresco. This is all due to the easement.

Can anyone shed some light on this? When I first met with them at the sales they said my house will fit on the land perfectly & will be awesome..

Should I be worried?

Hi Kristylee,can you tell me how did you with the garage dropped down? Did you end up no internal entry?

Hi Echo305

In saying that I'm so glad we have gone with McDonald Jones - they have been so helpful with this & I'm really looking forward to it - I know someone else building with Champion Homes and they didn't give them an option they just done it & said this is what is happening whereas McDonald Jones spoke to us about it etc..

Have you considered setting you house back one or two metres further from front.
Also agree that MJH are great at working with you to find a solution
KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee

Should I be worried?

Hi Echo305

You might consider setting your home one or two metres further back from front. This may reduce driveway gradient, you will find MJH great to work with to find a solution
KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee

Should I be worried?

Hi Echo305

You might consider setting your home one or two metres further back from front. This may reduce driveway gradient, you will find MJH great to work with to find a solution
gohmsen

We have been in over a year. They still have not fixed everything and are refusing some.
KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee

Should I be worried?

Hi Echo305

KristyLee
echo305
KristyLee

Should I be worried?

Hi Echo305

bradk
gohmsen

We have been in over a year. They still have not fixed everything and are refusing some.

When we get up to that stage we won't be making the final payment until everything is perfect because we are not selling the house we live in now so we won't be desperate to get the keys.

I hope they do eventually come and fix everything for you guys. Did you get it in writing the items they were going to fix?

CathyLeigh
J and A
:: PCI booked 23rd July. Almost there.!

great news!
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me the brand of Bamboo flooring that MJH offer? Any advice?
Thanks

emash8785
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me the brand of Bamboo flooring that MJH offer? Any advice?
Thanks

From memory, I am pretty sure they use Genesis Bamboo Flooring. We were thinking of going the bamboo but have decided to do solid timber floors after handover. I don't really know a great deal about the bamboo sorry.

CathyLeigh
emash8785
Thanks

It is Genesis. We are having it installed. But that will not happen until December, so I don't know yet how the whole house will look. I liked their colours, and selection and it is supposed to be very hard. You can check their web site for information, and also ask for up to three samples.
gohmsen

That's a shame.
We were told and given the documents that after about three weeks in the house we would receive an introductory phone call regarding outstanding and maintenance issues- maybe this is the same for you...fingers crossed
We got a slab yesterday. Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!!!

I think our frame is being delivered either today or tomorrow.

Will post some more photos when we have a chance to get back up there to have a look unless our site supervisor sends some to us.

CathyLeigh
Davidr13
emash8785
Thanks

It is Genesis. We are having it installed. But that will not happen until December, so I don't know yet how the whole house will look. I liked their colours, and selection and it is supposed to be very hard. You can check their web site for information, and also ask for up to three samples.

Thank you for that info. How was that brand cost wise? We are trying to determine whether we have MJH do flooring or we do it ourselves after handover.
What colour did you choose?

Davidr13
emash8785
Thanks

Thank you for that info. How was that brand cost wise? We are trying to determine whether we have MJH do flooring or we do it ourselves after handover.

Davidr13
emash8785
Thanks

Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum