Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 584 of 723
At the colour walk though I had I was told down lights went down only the week before. Downlight Haolgen $140 Downlight Compact Fluoresent $95 Cupboard Downlight LED $195 Prewire Downlight $55
Data Point Cat 5e $130 on Cat 6 $160. Does anyone know the difference?
Hi Rayworth cat6 is more suited for commercial networking and computers. For residential use cat 5e is more then adequate for nbn

Rayworth
Data Point Cat 5e $130 on Cat 6 $160. Does anyone know the difference?

Cat5e data transfer speed is capped at 1000mbps whereas cat 6 allows for 10GB/s. With most new homes getting the NBN if you want to future proof yourself get Cat6 otherwise if you're not too tech inclined Cat5e will suffice.

An example...if I were streaming a 10-20gb 1080p (A Blueray HD movie is 20-40gb) movie from my PC to the living room TV using a Cat5e cable the video may buffer/stop as the cable can't handle the amount of data being sent through it. This wouldn't occur with a Cat6 cable.

If you're thinking of doing a media centre type set up in your home, go Cat6. Cat6 is the future and is the best way to protect your investment.
Just came back from colour selection. We started from 9am and done all selections before noon. Signed contract after lunch break.

We chose Gerflor which is included in our package, but still need to pay $500 labor??!!

Anyway, so happy to get it down smoothly. I'll post the colours later

Our LED downlights were $95.00 each. The small ones under cupboard were 195 though.
Here are our choices after our colour selection today. So happy it's done!

Colours look awesome Ganilton!
House looks great Pantone! Loving the pendants!

Nice colours ganilton!
One more sleep til PCI!

Best of luck tomorrow cwiseman!!! Ill certsinly be thinking of u guys! How r u feeling? Nerves/ excitement?

cwiseman

Nice colours ganilton!
One more sleep til PCI!

waiting for your photos
cwiseman

Nice colours ganilton!
One more sleep til PCI!

Oh wow!!!! Exciting!!!!

We had our shutters installed yesterday, its so nice to get rid of the paper blinds and have real privacy...

Lot927
We had our shutters installed yesterday, its so nice to get rid of the paper blinds and have real privacy...

They look fantastic- I actually said to hubby I think when we can we will end up putting shutters in the bathrooms- they look great!
Look out for house photo spam tomorrow!

Lot927

They look fantastic- I actually said to hubby I think when we can we will end up putting shutters in the bathrooms- they look great!
Look out for house photo spam tomorrow!

Vanderville
An example...if I were streaming a 10-20gb 1080p (A Blueray HD movie is 20-40gb) movie from my PC to the living room TV using a Cat5e cable the video may buffer/stop as the cable can't handle the amount of data being sent through it. This wouldn't occur with a Cat6 cable.

I'm not trying to be a know-all... but that example would never happen. As you said, Cat5e operates at 1000Mbps. An uncompressed blue ray needs only 20-40Mbps.

Having said that, yes you should be putting Cat6 cable in your home. Not for todays needs - but future needs.
Ganilton
Here are our choices after our colour selection today. So happy it's done!

Nice choices Ganilton. Well done!!

I can't believe you got through your appointment so quickly. I thought I was really organised when I went for ours and it still took me all day and I still would have liked more time.

CathyLeigh
cwiseman

Nice colours ganilton!
One more sleep til PCI!

Good luck for today cwiseman. How exciting for you guys.

Can't wait for the photo bombing!! Don't hold back.

CathyLeigh
Yes lots of photos please cwiseman!!!!so excited for u!!!

Lot927

Absolutely loving the shutters. They look awesome. Your house looks fantastic. I will definitely be getting shutters. Can I ask how much the shutters cost? Do they work it out on a square metre rate?

CathyLeigh
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum