Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes general build thread

Page 574 of 579
MrsAJ
Hi All,

Urgent.... please let me know did ur SS get any sign during PCi?

If so how did you add your issues found by your private inspector to that list??

Please someone reply. We have our pci tomorrow (friday). And .. private insoection on Monday.
You will point out everything you want fixed ontop of everything they already have. Make sure you document everything you point out and followup that it does get fixed they will take photos on the tablet then get you to sign off on it after walkthrough make sure you don't miss anything to major.
All minor stuff can be fixed at some stage just focus on the more critical things

Whitey22
MrsAJ
Hi All,

If so how did you add your issues found by your private inspector to that list??

Please someone reply. We have our pci tomorrow (friday). And .. private insoection on Monday.
You will point out everything you want fixed ontop of everything they already have. Make sure you document everything you point out and followup that it does get fixed they will take photos on the tablet then get you to sign off on it after walkthrough make sure you don't miss anything to major.
All minor stuff can be fixed at some stage just focus on the more critical things

Thanks for your reply. What if on Monday my private inspector picks up more major issues??
Can we not just not sign?? Please guide us.
MrsAJ
Whitey22
MrsAJ
Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. What if on Monday my private inspector picks up more major issues??
Don't stress too much anything you want fixed will get fixed. There is the building standards that they need to adhere too. If your not happy with anything stick at it until its fixed. I suggest you look at the tolerances guide online to see if your issues fail to meet the criteria.

MrsAJ
Whitey22
MrsAJ
Hi All,

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/housing-and-property/building-and-renovating/after-you-build-or-renovate/guide-to-standards-and-tolerances

Hi All,
I would like to take this time and thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Being first home built with not any idea what to look, all your messages and tips helped us a lot to keep it together and proceed further easily. We were so confused on every stage and what will happen and you all were there for us. Thank you all 😊

Currently, we are having few major issues and minor touch ups etc.. Fingers crossed for Private inspection on Monday.

Hope all our issues are rectified and things goes smoothly🤞. Pray for us.

Will keep you updated soon.
MrsJM
Obviously this isn't Coral's fault as its law, but can you tell me what the point of a window is, and even better, why I had to have windows of a certain size based on the size of the bedroom, for light and ventilation, if the damn Windows have been blocked from opening any further than this!? I am so angry. Some of the restrictors are popping out but a few key ones are nailed in

The sill in this room is about 1600 ffl!!!

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581

Frustrating from a lot of perspectives. As an owner having a sliding window that only opens 125mm is almost useless UNLESS you install a compliant barrier screen such as diamond grill or the more expensive option of security mesh.

The issue from a designers point of view is it can negatively affect your energy assessment due to the way ventilation is assessed.

For example, let's assume the sliding window above is 900h X 1800w (area 1.62m²). The window would normally provide 50% ventilation of the overall window area (area 0.81m²). Since the window does not have a barrier screen installed it needs to be restricted to open less than 125mm which reduces the ventilation area of the window down to 0.1125m². This becomes an issue when trying to comply with the ventilation requirements of the room as the NCC states habitable rooms are required to have 5% ventilation to floor area of the room. A typical 3m X 3m bedroom would require the minimum ventilation of 0.45m² to comply.

The legislation comes from the National Construction Code (NCC) below:

(a) A window opening in a bedroom must be provided with protection, where the floor below the window is 2 m or more above the surface beneath.

(b) Where the lowest level of the window opening covered by (a) is less than 1.7 m above the floor, the window opening must comply with the following:
(i)The openable portion of the window must be protected with—
(A)a device capable of restricting the window opening; or
(B)a screen with secure fittings.
(ii)A device or screen required by (i) must—
(A) not permit a 125 mm sphere to pass through the window opening or screen; and
(B)resist an outward horizontal action of 250 N against the—
(aa)window restrained by a device; or
(bb)screen protecting the opening; and
(C)have a child resistant release mechanism if the screen or device is able to be removed, unlocked or overridden.

(c) Where a device or screen provided in accordance with (b)(i) is able to be removed, unlocked or overridden, a barrier with a height not less than 865 mm above the floor is required to the openable window in addition to window protection.

(d) A barrier covered by (c) must not—
(i)permit a 125 mm sphere to pass through it; and
(ii)have any horizontal or near horizontal elements between 150 mm and 760 mm above the floor that facilitate climbing (see Figure 3.9.2.5).

So there are a few options however they all come at a cost, be it monetary, aesthetics or practicality.

A lot of builders and designers will specify awning style windows for second story habitable rooms since they can be restricted to a 125mm opening, have standard fly screens and the ventilation calculations are not affected by the restriction.

Hope this helps.
Hi,
Can anyone please send us your garage internal where screws are. Our private inspector found issues with it.
Thanks in advance.
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell us what happens on handover day if issues are not fixed?
MrsAJ
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell us what happens on handover day if issues are not fixed?

Hi MrsAJ,

We had a few minor issues pending at handover yesterday. Like leak under the basin in one bathroom, patch in the render etc. nothing major though. They gave us a memo listing issues to be fixed after handover. Luckily we had a wonderful SS and by the time we picked up the key and went to the house the plumber and renderer were there fixing it. Not sure what other builders do. But always get it in writing.
MrsAJ
Hi,
Can anyone please send us your garage internal where screws are. Our private inspector found issues with it.
Thanks in advance.

May I ask what private inspectors do and when do you employ them(what stage). Does coral respond well to have private inspectors assessing their work? Does it cause any rift with SS.

Importantly what's the cost for private inspectors . Hope you don't mind sharing these
catchganu
MrsAJ
Hi,
Thanks in advance.

May I ask what private inspectors do and when do you employ them(what stage). Does coral respond well to have private inspectors assessing their work? Does it cause any rift with SS.

Importantly what's the cost for private inspectors . Hope you don't mind sharing these

Private inspector perform inspection in 4 stages - slab, frame, fixing and final pci.
We booked them to do inspection for frame and final pci. I would recommend booking them for fixing stage as well along with waterproofing. I say that because if we had found issues during fixing stage then we wouldn't have delayed our handover date for the builder to fix now on major issues.
You need to contact them atleast 1 week prior when you are nearing the completion of that particular stage. You can find out about each stage from your SS on when they expect to finish. That's when coral send you invoice.
Coral will allow private inspectors. Sometimes SS will hesitate but you have all rights and no contract says any objection to have private inspection. Rift - yes sure to expect with ur SS.
Cost varies from $250 to $400. We got quote from 4 different companies and that fell under that range. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Happy to help.
MrsAJ
catchganu
MrsAJ
Hi,
Thanks in advance.

Private inspector perform inspection in 4 stages - slab, frame, fixing and final pci.
We booked them to do inspection for frame and final pci. I would recommend booking them for fixing stage as well along with waterproofing. I say that because if we had found issues during fixing stage then we wouldn't have delayed our handover date for the builder to fix now on major issues.
You need to contact them atleast 1 week prior when you are nearing the completion of that particular stage. You can find out about each stage from your SS on when they expect to finish. That's when coral send you invoice.
Coral will allow private inspectors. Sometimes SS will hesitate but you have all rights and no contract says any objection to have private inspection. Rift - yes sure to expect with ur SS.
Cost varies from $250 to $400. We got quote from 4 different companies and that fell under that range. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Happy to help.

Thanks a lot. Will PM you for the company you used .
Can anyone share your experience around cabling new home. I am talking about running Data ethernet cables to different rooms.

I am thinking of going for Cat 6 and probably 1 data point per room and 4 for media room.

Does Clipsal do the cabling or should we hire separately.

Also do they give choice between Cat 5 or Cat 6 or Cat 7...

Share your experience
Yes Clipsal can organise your cabling as part of your Electrical consultation.
Cat 6 is what they offer but you may request for cat 7. Cat 5 is outdated and doubt if they can provide this for you.

You may also consider utilising access points (speak to them about this) to boost your Wifi signal for steel frame homes.
Hey guys - does anyone know what the clearance requirement around the house is? The house will come right out to the end of the pad (edge of pad drops off, probably 3 metres or so) so now i'm wondering if Coral need like a 1-2m clearance around the actual house?? Any ideas??
Katie_11
Hey guys - does anyone know what the clearance requirement around the house is? The house will come right out to the end of the pad (edge of pad drops off, probably 3 metres or so) so now i'm wondering if Coral need like a 1-2m clearance around the actual house?? Any ideas??

Clearances are dictated by Council and/or the Estate you are building in.
Wages
Yes Clipsal can organise your cabling as part of your Electrical consultation.
Cat 6 is what they offer but you may request for cat 7. Cat 5 is outdated and doubt if they can provide this for you.

You may also consider utilising access points (speak to them about this) to boost your Wifi signal for steel frame homes.

Thanks a lot. Do they charge for every data point? If so any idea how much

Access point- u mean roof access point ?
Katie_11

Council decides, but relaxation is possible. In my case, builder is requesting for relaxation to Council. There is a fee of around 600$
catchganu
Katie_11

Council decides, but relaxation is possible. In my case, builder is requesting for relaxation to Council. There is a fee of around 600$

I"m aware of what council requires (distance from street frontage & other boundaries etc etc) but what about what the builders will want around the actual house pad? For example i'm looking at building 1 metre from an existing retaining wall, i wonder if this will be ok with them?
Depending on how high the retaining wall is. There are building codes regarding how close to a retaining wall you can place a structure. Google it.
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum