Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 56 of 62
alexp79
or instead save tons of money and get yourself a couple of vac robots instead. They are very good those days.

Ducted vacuums will be gone really soon, same as TV antenna, same as phone lines - those are good things to NOT put into a new build.

Give some second thinking re NBN too as with 5G Mobile Internet it will lose competition quickly too.

Unlikely you are going to get a unlimited plan on 5G any time near future as they won't allow it as it will choke the network and technology is not advancedto allow such amount of data traffic yet. And the speeds they let on actual mobile network and home internet on 5G is yet to be seen - see 1.5-2.0Gb speed telstra boasting is not going to be seen in real situation. See how 4G+ now - we are not getting 1/10th of it capable of and on home networks I don't see a plan beyond 200GB/month.. Who is going to put their neck under such plan?
Renman
Drew01
KamadoJusto
Surely it can’t beat the new Cordless Dyson on each floor.

We've got a Dyson V10 downstairs and a Xiaomi Roborock S50 upstairs.... Great combination

Because we have the wool blended carpet, a few push of the vacumn and it's full.

Question for everyone, how is the robotic cleaner in solid floorboards? As we have French oak timber it's soft and I am concern that it will scratch the floors.

I have been using Aldi's one since 2015 - still working and it does the job and has laminated floor now and used it on carpet too- good on both. Robots has mop option as well (if u attach it). It can even go to charger when battery is low by itself. So easily can let it work overnight. Only issue will be the obstructions from furniture and other stuffs you have on floor. But donno you get perfect clean throughout the floor.
One thing not to forget is two way light switches over places like the stairwell... We've had to use a smart plug in the ceiling for turning our chandelier on and off, because no matter how hard we tried, my sparky and I couldn't get a switch in where we forgot one...

Yep, we are very glad we have 2 way switches - either end of the stairs (up & down), and either end of hallways. Another thing which we think is a great idea - particularly for houses with an open ensuite like ours.... low voltage led strip lighting under the bathroom cabinetry for when you need to go to the loo through the night and don't want to turn on bright lights, or wake anyone.
alexp79
Give some second thinking re NBN too as with 5G Mobile Internet it will lose competition quickly too.

If you take a look at some of the paranoia of 5G on some of the anti-5G stalkbook groups, it won't be happening.

Quite funny to read some of their posts claiming it is going to be used for mind control and it will be weaponised... paranoid much ?
bpratt
alexp79

If you take a look at some of the paranoia of 5G on some of the anti-5G stalkbook groups, it won't be happening.

Quite funny to read some of their posts claiming it is going to be used for mind control and it will be weaponised... paranoid much ?

sparekh
I created a special webpage with all the summary of this thread so far. It helps to see everything consolidated on one page and get easy access ( easy to remember site name) anytime.

You can find the summary at: https://1stbuild.club/

You can bookmark or download it offline in Chrome Desktop/Mobile and view it in your leisure time. If time permits I wanted to make it more personalized, giving users to select the options/items they want and then export it to a PDF/Excel/TXT.

All the credits goes to people who have contributed to this thread.

Cheers!

Great work. thanks a lot - Yesss... probably excel download would be the best
KamadoJusto
Surely it can’t beat the new Cordless Dyson on each floor.

We have one of the older V8 Dysons and while it's a great little machine for a quick vac, I don't think if you're looking at doing a comprehensive vacuum of the floor the battery life ( we get about 8 minutes on max ) will let you do that. I just had a look at a choice review of the latest V11( 20% improvement on the V10 ) and they said that the battery life on boost was around the 13 minute mark. Still not enough for me. A quick whip around maybe but at over $1,200 I think we will still go the ducted system and keep our older Dyson for the smaller jobs.

Stewie
Anyone up to date with the technology? Brand new home, with NBN FFTP. Is it still best to install Cat6 into the Media room and study, or is that going to be super seeded soon and I'd be wasting my money?

Using it for Streaming TV, Gaming, and the usual stuff. Single story home.
Steve4216
Anyone up to date with the technology? Brand new home, with NBN FFTP. Is it still best to install Cat6 into the Media room and study, or is that going to be super seeded soon and I'd be wasting my money?

Cat7 is released, but I would stick to Cat6. Moreover it's difficult to completely future proof anyway
Steve4216

Cat6 is good enough for the needs mentioned above. Anything higher should only be considered if you plan to run ethernet over 100 ft and also anticipate alien crosstalk from other comms cables.
CS199
_daz_
Agent_009
Great thread. Have made a list of things from this thread to check and I have 96 rows in my spreadsheet

I've used this thread and tips from other threads. My spreadsheet has about 500 lines. Think I've got too many.

Any chance you can email me that spreadsheet singhc1979@yahoo.com.au

Did you manage to get it? Could I have one, too?:-D
catchganu
Steve4216

Cat7 is released, but I would stick to Cat6. Moreover it's difficult to completely future proof anyway

Plz check if Cat 7 is approved for telecom use
No fixed windows in the bedroom.
Water point + gas point + electric point in alfresco for have small outdoor kitchen cooking
These are my lessons learnt so far

- make sure your plans have a recess on bathroom floors if you want your tiles to be flush with your polished concrete floors in the living areas. I didn't think of this so it's too late for me.

- if you want polished concrete floors in your shower wet area then make sure that the puddle phalange pipe has not been cut to the floor for tiling, instead there should be a pipe sticking outside of the shower drain so the concrete polisher can do his job to let the drain cover sit flush to the polished concrete floor. Also check with your certifier that this will be allowed for the shower floor/bathroom area and will be sealed with a penetrating sealer rather than waterproofed. If they do not allow it, there now exists in the market clear waterproofing membrane https://www.remedialmembranes.com.au

- door width dimensions for future wheelchair accessibility is 820mm (silver standard), 850mm (gold standard), 920mm (platinum standard) , but there are door widths out there 870mm

- make sure there are noggins in the shower and toilet areas in case you need to install handle grip bars in the future if you intend to live out most of your life in your home which means that it would need to have disability access. I discovered the
http://www.livablehousingaustralia.org. ... FINAL4.pdf

- since I'm an owner builder, getting information from tradies, builders and surveyors is sometimes like getting blood from stone. Also don't trust blogs and websites as they may provide wrong information. Register at the national construction code Australia https://ncc.abcb.gov.au/ncc-online/ncc and download Volumes 1, 2 and 3 to make sure that the info is accurate and that you are not being told a furphy. You can quote this info from NCC to your certifier if he is a bit iffy certifying that wet room and you've done everything according to code.
always have heaps of power points in kitchen for all the appliances
Hi all
thanks heaps for this wonderful forum and thread.
is there a trick of trade if any one can share - if i want to print out these 56 pages in one go as a hard copy for this thread so i can study them and highlight the important points for my own study.

cheers!
SAP
Hi all
is there a trick of trade if any one can share - if i want to print out these 56 pages in one go as a hard copy for this thread so i can study them and highlight the important points for my own study.

cheers!

I created a web page with all these points, you should be able to print it out.
https://1stbuild.club/
sparekh
SAP
Hi all

cheers!

Awesome thanks sparekh!
sparekh
SAP
Hi all

cheers!

brilliant!
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum