Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 56 of 862
tstr1a
Lui
Hi
Just wondering if anybody has had any trouble with PD requesting more money ($14 000) due to land settlement being delayed?

Thanks
Lui

ouchhhhhh............ how long was it delayed for?

we purchased the land in September 2009 with the agreement that it would settle in May 2010, it was then delayed until August 2010, then November 2010, then mid feb 2011 and now they're saying March.

But CSA can't actually tell me what the charge is for and is not able to provide a breakdown of costs, which means that I won't sign a variation for it, seign as I have no idea what it's for.
Roshi
Hi,

Thanks for all of your feedback with regard to finding an independent inspector with I raised in December. Our Pre-Plaster inspection was carried out during last Thursday & I have forwarded the defect report to my CSS & to SS. Even though I forwarded it yesterday morning, still I did not receive any feedback from either of them. Do you have any idea how PD would react to these inspection reports.

Last night I received the tax invoice of the Lock up stage, but PD has to rectify the defects mentioned in the report, hence can you guys let me know the steps need to be taken in order to delay the payment. If I drop an email to Accounts department, CSC & to SS will it work out, or still they would add the surcharge for making the payment delay.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers…

Hi Roshi,

I followed up with both the CSC & SS on daily basis until I got any respond from them.

I also emailed all of them (CSC, SS & Accounts Department) quoting clause 30 to inform them that due to uncompleted work I wasn't able to pay them until all those in the independent inspection report been rectified. I've always keep the accounts department informed with the progress of the repairs & was never charged any surcharged.
Hi SSAZ,

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

Yep I just dropped an email to all the three parties to be informed. Hopefully they will fix all the defects in the list.. As you said I will follow up the progress on the matter.

During the lock up stage will the plastering would start or will it commence from the Fixing stage.

In our case plastering was not done in the lock up stage.

Cheers...

SSAZ
Roshi
Hi,

Thanks for all of your feedback with regard to finding an independent inspector with I raised in December. Our Pre-Plaster inspection was carried out during last Thursday & I have forwarded the defect report to my CSS & to SS. Even though I forwarded it yesterday morning, still I did not receive any feedback from either of them. Do you have any idea how PD would react to these inspection reports.

Last night I received the tax invoice of the Lock up stage, but PD has to rectify the defects mentioned in the report, hence can you guys let me know the steps need to be taken in order to delay the payment. If I drop an email to Accounts department, CSC & to SS will it work out, or still they would add the surcharge for making the payment delay.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers…

Hi Roshi,

I followed up with both the CSC & SS on daily basis until I got any respond from them.

I also emailed all of them (CSC, SS & Accounts Department) quoting clause 30 to inform them that due to uncompleted work I wasn't able to pay them until all those in the independent inspection report been rectified. I've always keep the accounts department informed with the progress of the repairs & was never charged any surcharged.
Lui
tstr1a
Lui
Hi
Just wondering if anybody has had any trouble with PD requesting more money ($14 000) due to land settlement being delayed?

Thanks
Lui

ouchhhhhh............ how long was it delayed for?

we purchased the land in September 2009 with the agreement that it would settle in May 2010, it was then delayed until August 2010, then November 2010, then mid feb 2011 and now they're saying March.

But CSA can't actually tell me what the charge is for and is not able to provide a breakdown of costs, which means that I won't sign a variation for it, seign as I have no idea what it's for.

HI Lui

I know when we signed our contract for PD we locked in a start date for November (thereby not being subjected to any house price increase or promotion change etc)
I recall our CSC stating that as part of the ‘Porter Davis Fixed Price Guarantee’, that if were delayed (land delays, bank issues etc) that a price increase of $1000 would apply and that locked us in again until 31st December. And any subsequent delays meant that we would pay an additional $1500 for every month that the start was delayed from when we initially specified.

Could this be what you’re being potentially charged?

Cheers
Kerry
Roshi
Hi SSAZ,
During the lock up stage will the plastering would start or will it commence from the Fixing stage.

In our case plastering was not done in the lock up stage.

According to Schedule 4 of the contract, it is at fixing stage.
Hi Kerry

We've already paid a fair amount to hold the price. I can't help thinking that it's because we're young and first home builders that they're trying to see what they can get from us. I've spoken to consumer affairs who said that they can't do this and they most definitely need to provide itemized breakdown of what they are actually charging for. I wonder how many others have just paid without a fight. I wont be backing down.
Hi Lui, I think you should stick to your guns, Consumer Affairs usually speak from a legal point of view. You might get charged something but nowhere near the amount you were quoted, thats just IMHO.

I've just posted the latest update on our build - we have a date!!

See:
http://dhomeontherange.blogspot.com/2011/02/we-have-date.html
So exciting to have a date! I just can't wait for them to get started.
Thanks, it is. We signed up in Feb last year I think, so it's been a while coming. been "building" for close to two years now, so it's good to see a bit of stray light at the end of the tunnel.
We signed our contract in dec 2009 and we're yet to begin building hopefully they can start in April. Can't even remember all if the stuff that we chose.
Lui

Have they put this in writing to you? Send them an email (or snail mail) requesting that details of the request be put in writing. You'll then have something to see what it's really all about and to ask advice on. That shouldn't be difficult for any organisation. Just say "sorry, I'm confused, please advise me in writing"
Hi everyone,
Our build has finally began
official start date is today, yipeee.
I was told it would be tomorrow, did a drive by today & surprise, surprise site has been filled & cut.
See my blog for pics!
Can't believe how much dirt they put in!
Mel
Lui, I know how frustrating it can be. We signed our land contract in July 09, signed with first builders in August 09, land settled early 10, builders did nothing, we cancelled with them, signed with PD, and here we are now. I'm told its all worth it, and to be honest it is once you house is up it does feel good. One step at a time though, and I hope yours is done soon.

Mel exciting to hear of your start! Good pictures too. Take a note of the date, you should be able to calculate contract days now for completion. Thats the analyst in me talking.
Lunchtime
Team PD

Hi foundation,

We acknowledge what is stipulated by the building commission. Our normal process is for the appliances and gas connection to be done the day homeowners move into the house. This is to avoid theft of these items at an empty house.

To help answer the question, for example, if the handover happens on a Tuesday, and final payment has already been made, but you are not moving into the house until Friday. The supervisor will arrange for everything to be fitted on Friday. If you’re moving in on the same day as the handover then the gas and appliances can also be arranged to be fitted for that day.

Hope that answers your question

Cheers, Jess.

Hi Jess,

I think you missed the point being discussed, according to the building commission we should have the appliances installed and commissioned before handing over the final payment.

Hi Lunchtime,

Have you brought this up with your CSA yet? They'll be able to discuss PD's policy on this in detail. I understand you've been in contact with the Building Commission, but I assure you our policy is put in place in the customers best interest to protect you from possible theft. If you are still unsure of the process, I recommend asking your CSA for a potential solution.

In terms of fingers crossed question regarding Temp fencing & local municipality fees & charges, this is something they will need to confirm with their SS for a detailed, up to date answer as they'll have a better understanding of the fees in relation to their specific build.

Cheers, Jess
Hi Jess,

I tried to talk to my SS and CSA regarding the installation of Appliances. They were not at all flexible in getting the installation done prior to handover. They were assuring me that PD policy is installation after handover.....this is a load of crap. You have seen in this blog there has been so many clients whose instalation was done prior to handover. To me this is just a bullying tactic they use to make sure clients dont question them and to ensure they get the final payment and not giving the opportunity to clients to inspect that everything is in order before they aggree to pay/settle.

In my case, the SS/CSA wanted to install after handover not even the same day - That is not the policy!!!

I think its your right to ask them for installation before you handover your final payment. PD does not have a right to decline this at all.

Its more in the interest of PD to do instalation after handover than in owners - if there is a theft PD is liable not the owner to replace it......just to reinforce this, went to my property last night which is due for handover next week to see that the front balcony door is wide open (this is not the first time this has happened) - welcome anyone who wants to trash the place!!!This is why they dont want to do installation as they want to protect themselves.
Hi Lunchtime,

Have you brought this up with your CSA yet? They'll be able to discuss PD's policy on this in detail. I understand you've been in contact with the Building Commission, but I assure you our policy is put in place in the customers best interest to protect you from possible theft. If you are still unsure of the process, I recommend asking your CSA for a potential solution.

Cheers, Jess[/quote]

Thanks Jess, to be honest I have not decided if I want to force the issue or happy to run with PD way - so I have not contacted my CSA yet. I was just contributing to the discussion and wanted to share with others who are in a similar situation what their rights are as per the building comission. The building comission is a great resource for clarifying many issues and I have found them very helpful
Just for fun.....

Spoke with a Solicitor from Building Commission.

First question was “Is this policy referred to in your contract?” If yes, then were you provided a written copy of it when signing?

Second point – There are two components to handover of the build. First is the Occupancy certificate. Second is the Building Contract Act requires that the contract has been fulfilled to the specified plans and documented descriptions.

Some food for thought.
Being a lawyer I was going to mention the same thing.... People, when big corporations try to push you around get your big legal stick out and fight them. You need to understand that you’re SS or CAC does not understand the law. If this issue was presented to PD's lawyers they would go back to what is stipulated in the contract... end of storey... Did PD's policy and procedures form part of the contract?
Just after general opinions on this - We have signed up to build the Stanford 24 but have opted to go with the Alfresco option which replaces the Rumpus with an Alfresco (obviously). The standard plan has a heating outlet in the Rumpus which we obviously won't need so I have asked that it be moved into the Ensuite instead. I have been advised that because we chose the Alfresco, we lose that outlet altogether and will have to pay to have one in the Ensuite.
I thought that as we are paying the same for the basic house plan, including the same basic ducted heating system that we should receive the same number of outlets regardless of the option we chose.

Any thoughts on this??

Also can anyone tell me what the model is for ducted heating (Access house) and whether it supports the Network Controller as we want to add Evap Cooling after handover.
I would guess that the deletion of one heating outlet would have ben factored into the overall price of changing from the rumpus to the alfresco.

No idea about the heating unit, sorry.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum