Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who else is building with Eden Brae?

Page 549 of 778
Hi Shayne,

Below is our pantry layout and pantry design sketch. The arrow pointing is the wall that I meant. Removing it and use the side wall of the pantry cupboard as the separation.

The design idea as below.

Hi Jah, The sliding door would definitely solve your glaring issue. About the TV wall mount, my design is to have the TV wall mount installed slightly below the TV power and antenna points. Then your TV will hang over the points and hide them behind the TV. I believe this will help the downwards tilting better.

I read that you are considering to have a gas point in your theater room for heater. May I ask is your theater room carpeted or tiled? You may want to consider a hard surface like tiles for floor standing heater in case the heater maybe too hot for carpet and causes fire.

Hi PixieGT, May I ask which company will you be engaging? Do you have a quote for structural inspection that you could share? We are interested to get a second opinion in case the inspector misses anything. Thanks.
amazingk
Hi Shayne,

Below is our pantry layout and pantry design sketch. The arrow pointing is the wall that I meant. Removing it and use the side wall of the pantry cupboard as the separation.

The design idea as below.

Hi Jah, The sliding door would definitely solve your glaring issue. About the TV wall mount, my design is to have the TV wall mount installed slightly below the TV power and antenna points. Then your TV will hang over the points and hide them behind the TV. I believe this will help the downwards tilting better.

I read that you are considering to have a gas point in your theater room for heater. May I ask is your theater room carpeted or tiled? You may want to consider a hard surface like tiles for floor standing heater in case the heater maybe too hot for carpet and causes fire.

Hi PixieGT, May I ask which company will you be engaging? Do you have a quote for structural inspection that you could share? We are interested to get a second opinion in case the inspector misses anything. Thanks.

Thanks for your question re inspection, however I have not engaged the inspector I have ready, to conduct an inspection to date, thus I'm reluctant to recommend someone I have not had firsthand experience using. I would be happy to post the details requested once I have used the service & are happy with the result

Regarding the gas heater, I suggest referring to AS/NZS 5601 (installation) and AS45XX Series (appliance) for understanding the requirements for gas heating in domestic homes - these Standards mandate the parameters & requirements...some additional reading: http://www.saiglobal.com/product-certif ... tSheet.pdf
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/water-ener ... -standards (lists some of the Standards in summarised format), &
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewt ... (%22Gas%22)))%20AND%20((Type%3D%22act%22%20AND%20Repealed%3D%22N%22)%20OR%20(Type%3D%22subordleg%22%20AND%20Repealed%3D%22N%22))%20AND%20(%22Historical%20Document%22%3D%220%22)&dq=Document%20Types%3D%22%3Cspan%20class%3D%22dq%22%3EActs%3C%2Fspan%3E,%20%3Cspan%20class%3D%22dq%22%3ERegs%3C%2Fspan%3E%22,%20Search%20In%3D%22%3Cspan%20class%3D%22dq%22%3EText%3C%2Fspan%3E%22,%20Any%20Words%3D%22%3Cspan%20class%3D%22dq%22%3EGas%3C%2Fspan%3E%22&fullquery=(((%22Gas%22)))
Hi Shayne & amazingk,

Are you doing 25 deg roof pitch for Livingstone 23? I'm not sure if higher roof pitch would be ok for 10.7m wide house!
Hi amazingk,

It's a great use of space. Personally I think you should keep the wall next to the fridge, even though the cupboard is going in right next to it. It'll make it easier to put in a pull-up cupboard and bulkhead above. What were you leaning towards?

Hi Jahangir,

I'm not sure about the roof pitch? We haven't changed it, however because of the slope of the land we have had extra height added to the garage (this was automatically coordinated through Eden Brae as part of their fixed price contract). So it might have impacted the final roof pitch, but it's not something we have specifically requested. What are the main benefits of changing this?

Cheers
Hi Shayne, higher roof pitch is more sort of aesthetic. In regards to funtionality it helps in better air flow i guess, and water quickly runs off. It's $1645 upgrade for me.
I have some question for you -
did you get Taubmans Crisp White for cornice and ceiling. I was advised that Eden Brae only use white for celing or cornice.
On your blog you mentiioned about the height of stacker door. I didn't upgrade to remove the column between alfresco and living. Mine is showing 2100mm for the stacker door although i have high 2340mm door all over. Is that somethiing i should discuss with EBH?
PixiGT
House is moving quickly now: roof tiles on, electrical rough-in completed, sarking + insulation + internal walls planned completion early next week

Inspections planned for mid next week, & bricks to follow. Very exciting!
Houses on either side look great as well - all EBH

Can't be happier with SS - doing a great job!

Hey PixiGT

We are in the exact same position as you. I thought it was strange that they were doing roof tiles, internal walls etc before bricks as the other builds in the area looked different, but looks like there is nothing to worry about

Luckily you got a site camera, I visit the site every evening and I cant see anything that looks like a camera.
is the camera mounted outside or inside the home?
Canucks23
PixiGT
House is moving quickly now: roof tiles on, electrical rough-in completed, sarking + insulation + internal walls planned completion early next week

Inspections planned for mid next week, & bricks to follow. Very exciting!
Houses on either side look great as well - all EBH

Can't be happier with SS - doing a great job!

Hey PixiGT

We are in the exact same position as you. I thought it was strange that they were doing roof tiles, internal walls etc before bricks as the other builds in the area looked different, but looks like there is nothing to worry about

Luckily you got a site camera, I visit the site every evening and I cant see anything that looks like a camera.

Hi Canucks23,
Brick timing is flexible, as the frame is sufficient to support the roof - just ensure that the frame is still 'straight' when the stage inspections are undertaken (due before internal linings) after the roof is completed before bricks.
The Onsite Eye is on a pole that looks a bit like a lamp post that is in the front corner of my block, capturing an image of the entire block every 10mins or so. I can log in at any time & view or capture, & photos are emailed to me during the day
Jahangir
Hi Shayne, higher roof pitch is more sort of aesthetic. In regards to funtionality it helps in better air flow i guess, and water quickly runs off. It's $1645 upgrade for me.
I have some question for you -
did you get Taubmans Crisp White for cornice and ceiling. I was advised that Eden Brae only use white for celing or cornice.
On your blog you mentiioned about the height of stacker door. I didn't upgrade to remove the column between alfresco and living. Mine is showing 2100mm for the stacker door although i have high 2340mm door all over. Is that somethiing i should discuss with EBH?

Hi Jahangir,

Re: Roof Pitch. I see, we were looking at getting the Odyssey (cost to upgrade for us was $2,585) installed which manages airflow throughout the entire home - even in the roof. Perhaps this might be better upgrade for you instead of just getting the higher roof pitch? Just a thought!

Re: Crisp white. We are using crisp white on the ceiling and cornice, however have opted to use Taubmans White Spirit for our doors and skirting. White Spirit will be the same colour as our walls throughout. Obviously they use a gloss on the doors and skirting so it'll still look slightly different. The Clarendon Display home at The Ponds is the perfect example of this (using the same colour on the doors and skirting), they are also painted in White Spirit. I had this confirmed with the sales consultants and then I also took my sample in to compare as I didn't believe them! Eden Brae tried to encourage us to paint the doors and skirting white like the cornice and ceiling but we chose not to follow their recommendation.

Re: Higher Stacker Doors. Slightly tricky topic! The first question I need to ask if what package did you get? We got the Smart Start Luxury Inclusions package. Within that booklet it had a picture of the higher stacker doors (2340) and then there was a little quote saying that the images reflect the exact upgrade. So that's what we argued. BUT we also paid the extra money to get the corner stacker doors as per the display home. And since the display home had higher doors we argued that point also. If you got the same packages as us, I'd speak to Eden Brae to see what they can do. It wasn't an issue for us to have changed, but I know others really struggled getting it over the line....

Cheers
Thanks Shayne for the info. I will speak to EBH regarding stacker door height. I got Smart Start Luxury inclusions too.

Another question - did they charge you for 2nd telephone point ? My electrical plan shows that the alarm system is connected to the telephone point in the WIR. So, i was charged for another telephone point in the home theatre. Shouldn't the alarm system come with the telephone point?
Jahangir
Thanks Shayne for the info. I will speak to EBH regarding stacker door height. I got Smart Start Luxury inclusions too.

Another question - did they charge you for 2nd telephone point ? My electrical plan shows that the alarm system is connected to the telephone point in the WIR. So, i was charged for another telephone point in the home theatre. Shouldn't the alarm system come with the telephone point?

Hi Jahangir,
Re alarm/phone points: you may want to access/review AS/NZS 2201.1 (installation) & AS 2201.5 (transmission systems from the house to monitoring service), as with multiple phone points you may want isolate the alarm on the line so it will still allow your phone points to function under active alarm transmission (rather than the alarm engaging the line), or in the instance the alarm malfunctions, imho
Hi Jahangir,

Re: Alarm/Phone Point. Yep good question...We only have one phone point and that's in our home theatre room. We aren't planning on getting a home phone as we only use mobiles. The socket is only there for internet purposes really. We actually don't have a phone socket for the alarm system in the WIR and I don't know if we have to? Did you upgrade your alarm system? We didn't...do you think I need to get back in touch with HSI?

Hi PixiGT,

Thanks for the note on standard codes. Slightly overwhelming to look at as I'm certainly no expert in this field...

Cheers
Hi Shayne, I will ask HSI why alarm system needs a dedicated phone line. Will let you know.
yes, keep me posted Jahangir
Jahangir
Hi Shayne, I will ask HSI why alarm system needs a dedicated phone line. Will let you know.

Hi Jahangir,
Dedicated phone line would be the best option if HSI offer that, as there would be no need to split/prioritise the single line...but if they don't, it's well worth spending the extra on the tech to get the single line sorted so the alarm doesn't compromise your phone line. It should give you a bit of info in the Standards mentioned above regarding where the line should be routed to first, & how to best share the resource between tasks using the most appropriate device to split

HSI should know how to do...
Shayne-Livingstone23
Hi amazingk,

It's a great use of space. Personally I think you should keep the wall next to the fridge, even though the cupboard is going in right next to it. It'll make it easier to put in a pull-up cupboard and bulkhead above. What were you leaning towards?

Hi Guys, We went to Oran Park EDB display homes and we found that all the garage doors are 2200mm height from the pavement / concrete floor. However, in our house drawing it is shown as 2100mm from finish floor level so it seems that the earlier EDB home design was with standard garage height of 2200mm and got changed to 2100mm later.

We plan to upgrade to a normal SUV (CRV, RAV, Forrester etc) in future but not sure if 2100mm height is suitable. Can you share your view if we should go with 2100mm height or higher? And do you know what the cost for upgrade?

Hi Shayne, Thanks for the recommendation. We have decided to go with the wall but the question is should we need to extend the wall further by 100mm to 1100mm.

Thanks for your note about the stacker door. I did not realise that it is shorter then the rest of the doors until Jah mentioned it. I have got the same "Smart Living Essential" package but with additional "Thermal Glass" inclusion. I'll double check if that clause still exist in the print. Finger cross.

Hi Jah, I believe ours is the standard design and I do not know what the angular is. Well, the higher the pitch means you will have more roof space. If you intend to use the roof for storage then I would suggest to go with it.

By the way, another Livingstone display home just made its grand opening last Saturday in Willowdale Estate. We were driving to Willowdale see our plot of dirt and found EDB display homes are open for visitors. There are like 3 display home on display and the Livingstone built is much better than in Gregory Hills.
PixiGT
Canucks23

Hey PixiGT

Hi Canucks23,
Brick timing is flexible, as the frame is sufficient to support the roof - just ensure that the frame is still 'straight' when the stage inspections are undertaken (due before internal linings) after the roof is completed before bricks.
The Onsite Eye is on a pole that looks a bit like a lamp post that is in the front corner of my block, capturing an image of the entire block every 10mins or so. I can log in at any time & view or capture, & photos are emailed to me during the day

Hi PixieGT, That is so cool. How did you get the camera install? I do not think that Onsite Eye in included in contract.
Shayne-Livingstone23
yes, keep me posted Jahangir

Hi Shayne,

This is the reply I get from HSI regarding Alarm system-

"The standard phone point to the Kitchen has to be with your data point in regards to the NBN which we have located in the Home Theatre.
You will require this second phone point with the Alarm System if you wish to have back to base monitoring or to set it up to call your mobile if it goes off.
The alarm needs that line to be able to dial to make that call. Therefore is not included. " - I think I requested for this feature.
Hi amasingk,
It is pretty sweet to see the build remotely via the camera
. It appeared one day in the corner of my block, prior to the build commencing! Then, I received an email with the login details. I don't recall requesting a camera, however I have been lucky to receive this service.
Hi stephaniek88 and Shayne,

I saw that you had a discussion about the rainwater tank. I am having an issue placing our 3000L Rainwater Tank in our home design. At the moment, the rainwater tank is located at the rear of the house against a 3.2m wall. We dislike the standard 3000L round tank and we were thinking of changing it to Slimline Tank. But Slimline design it will take up the entire wall space (approximately 2.5m) and will not have any space to place our future ducted air condition. As our home is already sitting with the minimum 900mm boundary limit, putting the tank at the site is not possible. Alternatively, is to have the tank underground.

Do you know what is the cost for underground water tank and where will it be located? I am worry that if we have a leak in the tank, it would cost a lot to excavate and repair it. It could potentially destroy the house.
Hi amazingk,

We are also having a few dramas with our water tank. We only have a 390m2 block and we can't have it at the back because that's where the air conditioning unit will go and we don't want the slimline talk to go on the side of the house as it will limit the access and we won't have anywhere to put our bins. We got a quote of $2085 for an underground tank from Eden Brae, but there were no details in regards to where it will be placed. The only thing I know about these, is you need to get them regularly checked.
I understand what you mean with them having the ability to ruin the whole house being underground, which is why I am still considering just putting a slimline tank down the side.
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum