Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 549 of 723
Oh okay fair enough then

Cwiseman - our aircon issue had a resolution today, wondering if yours did too?

gardenretreat1
jwa
Hi All,

quick question for those who have got their frames up, how long after the slab going down before you had things like external plumbing, electrics and the frame done?

thanks.

Hi jwa,

We had slab down on 5th may I believe. external plumbing went down 11th May. We then had a bit of rain and a bit of sunshine...our frame started last Friday and is being completed today (has taken 4 days for frame to go up) we are building a one storey home (garden retreat 1). You can check my blog for specific days if you like, I live two mins from the site so I tend to sticky beak every day. Slab supervisor was great but we got so much rain after we got scraped (two weeks of solid rain) so it's taken longer than it normally would.

Sarah

Hi Sarah we seem to be on the same cycle as you - we are day 2 of fames. Building the Monte Carlo @ Gledswood Hills.

It's been great reading about everyone who's nearly finished and what your experiencing- but good to know there is some starters on here too!

Pia

gardenretreat1
jwa
Hi All,

quick question for those who have got their frames up, how long after the slab going down before you had things like external plumbing, electrics and the frame done?

thanks.

Hi jwa,

We had slab down on 5th may I believe. external plumbing went down 11th May. We then had a bit of rain and a bit of sunshine...our frame started last Friday and is being completed today (has taken 4 days for frame to go up) we are building a one storey home (garden retreat 1). You can check my blog for specific days if you like, I live two mins from the site so I tend to sticky beak every day. Slab supervisor was great but we got so much rain after we got scraped (two weeks of solid rain) so it's taken longer than it normally would.

Sarah

Hi Sarah we seem to be on the same cycle as you - we are day 2 of fames. Building the Monte Carlo @ Gledswood Hills.

It's been great reading about everyone who's nearly finished and what your experiencing- but good to know there is some starters on here too!

Pia

gardenretreat1
jwa
Hi All,

thanks.

Hi jwa,

Sarah

Pia

gardenretreat1
Hi

We are getting the higher door but in all those pics the handles looked super high up to me? maybe we can discuss with the SS before it gets put on....

Anyway, our frame was still being put up today (3rd day) it was possibly finished off this evening, I'm not sure. I did a recon stalk at 5pm but the guys were still working, I wanted to get out and take photos for hubby who is away and hasn't seen any of this yet, but checking things out 3 times in one day is just embarrassing. I will have a peek again tomorrow morning.

Question! for those who have the corner stacker doors to alfresco (with no corner post) does the frame come with the support post in the middle and it is removed later? Cause we definitely have a post there at the moment. I'm sure it's right but thought I would see if others had noticed this.
Sarah not sure if I have asked before but what is your blog details .
Sarah
gardenretreat1
Hi

We are getting the higher door but in all those pics the handles looked super high up to me? maybe we can discuss with the SS before it gets put on....

Anyway, our frame was still being put up today (3rd day) it was possibly finished off this evening, I'm not sure. I did a recon stalk at 5pm but the guys were still working, I wanted to get out and take photos for hubby who is away and hasn't seen any of this yet, but checking things out 3 times in one day is just embarrassing. I will have a peek again tomorrow morning.

Question! for those who have the corner stacker doors to alfresco (with no corner post) does the frame come with the support post in the middle and it is removed later? Cause we definitely have a post there at the moment. I'm sure it's right but thought I would see if others had noticed this.
Sarah
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah
Hi everyone,

I love reading about your builds, let me tell you, this forum has been a really invaluable pro active tool for us!

I haven't been too vocal as yet because I am in council waiting approval. The only thing I can comment on is everything up to this stage.

If there is one massive criticism I have of MJH it's their communication. They have changed our plans time and time again with advising us or telling us why or offering suitable alternatives.
If they proposed the changes first and explained this up front our story so far would probably be different.

I have to say though, we have been a little difficult to deal with at items out of frustration, but our CLO Mel has always been very professional and even tempered.

Colours was awesome...expensive...but awesome.

Electrical was brain frying and expensive too but Jen was great.

I am currently really stuck regarding the oven and need some help. I currently have the built in oven but I'm thinking of changing to the stand alone. Do any of you have pics of what you went for?
I like the strand alone because it hold 30l more but the other one has a really sleek cook top.
Any thoughts/opinions and photos will really help me out!!!
Didn't even consider the stand alone to be honest, we wanted that finished look where it was built in and didn't want to worry about dirt and grime falling around the oven. We are getting the 900mm smeg and I'm really looking forward to the cooktop too!!

Thanks Nat. ..isn't the 900ml built in smeg smaller internally than the stand alone? Do you have pics?
gardenretreat1
jwa
Hi All,

thanks.

Hi jwa,

Sarah

Pia

Yep I think it might be!!

No pics yet! Mines not in yet sorry!

This photo is one from a display home though

That could be the 600mm though. Not too sure?

baldy-79
gardenretreat1
jwa
Hi All,

thanks.

Hi jwa,

Sarah

Pia

Hi Pia,

yes it's very exciting to finally see it all going up hey. I am watching everyone else's builds progress and its helped me get through the six months of nothing to see on our block, but plenty to see of what everyone else is building. I would post some pics but still don't know how.

good luck with your build and lets hope there is no more rain !
Saintly 60
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah

Hi,

http://buildingthegardenretreat.blogspot.com.au/
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah

Thanks Sarah we have. Now signed now waiting for electrical and cc'd then hopefully start
gardenretreat1
Hi

Sarah

Thanks Sarah we have. Now signed now waiting for electrical and cc'd then hopefully start
safaa81
cwiseman
No the painter is reading the colour schedule as written by the colours team. I have requested a credit back as we too paid $475 for two coats of stain- what a joke!
Have just emailed our CLO- not good enough! At all! Had we been told that at colours that it will only be one side I would've spent my money elsewhere or not at all! Anything to meet a quota I guess. One very unhappy customer by the day here now ! Read your colour documents everyone cause it's the bible

Hi Cwiseman,

Did they seriously just stain one side of the door? How off would that look! You walk to the front of the house and it's a beautiful stain you shut the door and its white (or whatever colour you picked)? Can you post a pic! I'd really like to see that.

Anyway we went to get out colour folder today. It was fun and we'd only been on the walk through. Looks like house work is going to suffer for a few days while I spend every spare moment checking this put and going through it with a fine tooth comb.

Hey safaa81,

We are going to the colour walk through next week! Then I'll be like you, spending every spare sec on it!
I'm just wondering if all the prices are listed on the colour folder too? As far as I recall, some people said there is no price on the booklets ... ?

Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum