Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes - The new thread 3.0

Page 54 of 152
Hi J&W,

Looks good.

Re photo on your blog - the piece of fibro may be an anti-ponding board - used on low pitch roof - its to encourage any water that may penetrate to flow down the sarking and into the gutter rather than the eave.

Cheers

PROGRESS
Never thought I would like that word so much. In little under 2 weeks, we have had the site scraped (and another dump of grass clippings from a wonderfully thoughtful neighbour), sediment control in place, security fencing, temporary driveway gravel, peering and footings done and formwork in place ready for a slab (possibly next week).

Spoke to our SS earlier in the week and he has already told us he believes that we will be slabbed, framed and most roofing done by the Christmas shutdown......

My god this is a fantastic feeling as we were only really hoping for a slab by Christmas. All this and we are only 15 days into our 20 day construction starting date.....
Congrats to M! Makes us a very proud 1st time builder!

As soon as we get the photos working will post some pictures.... Off on holiday this week. Check back soon!
jo&waz
Hi all!

Moving along at our site again, our roof is complete on level 1, and no doubt will be completed over garage/alfresco next week.

Blog updated, representative photo below -

Hope all going well for your builds!!

Hey jo&waz we are at the same timing! How cool. Our roof was done on level 2 however we will have 1 done next week as well. The only thing that hasnt been done is the weatherboard upstairs but roof is done and so is the sarking and capping. Fascia done need eaves SS thinks all be complete by end of next week. Love your pics!

And thanks to my neighbour Pete from his balcony what a champ!
dsa39
Hey jo&waz we are at the same timing! How cool. Our roof was done on level 2 however we will have 1 done next week as well. The only thing that hasnt been done is the weatherboard upstairs but roof is done and so is the sarking and capping. Fascia done need eaves SS thinks all be complete by end of next week. Love your pics!

Nice! I'm sweating a bit on maintaining good photos once lockup occurs (still a while off). I'm guessing others just kind of just walk in while the workers are there as if they owned the place (well , they kind of do!).

I realised last week that we have this kind of raised/drop ceiling as you walk in the entrance, so I'll have to work with the electricians to revise where the lights go. Could be fun - it wasn't on the electrical plan at all...

Good luck with your build - it looks sweet!
jo&waz
dsa39

Nice! I'm sweating a bit on maintaining good photos once lockup occurs (still a while off). I'm guessing others just kind of just walk in while the workers are there as if they owned the place (well , they kind of do!).

I realised last week that we have this kind of raised/drop ceiling as you walk in the entrance, so I'll have to work with the electricians to revise where the lights go. Could be fun - it wasn't on the electrical plan at all...

Oooh
that sounds pretty cool maybe u have a coffered celling like us? I know what u mean our place is secured like Fort Knox I hope I don't get run over one day tring to get a shot
oops double post
jo&waz

We have the same bulkhead on our entrance hallway too. But since we left the lights as normal, rather than downlights, we will have cool lamp shades hanging
Hmm... no comments for 2 days? must be a very busy weekend. Good weather to be out at the beach

The word from our new SS, is that, external plumbing to be completed by end of this week and frame delivery on Mon 3rd Dec.
Well looks like our PCI will be done at the end of this week, fingers crossed.

Electricals where done today and plumbing within the next day or so. Then house clean up and PCI.
I wondering with the rain over the last couple of weeks how will this effect the timber on the house, we still getting bricks laid but it cant be to good for the top floorboards they keep getting wet, anyone know much about this? the top floor has been wet often as the brickies leave the hose there and there are always puddle of water around...
KDLEN
I wondering with the rain over the last couple of weeks how will this effect the timber on the house, we still getting bricks laid but it cant be to good for the top floorboards they keep getting wet, anyone know much about this? the top floor has been wet often as the brickies leave the hose there and there are always puddle of water around...

That is exactly my worry over the 5 week holiday break, as I doubt we will have any roofing by then.

Anyone know what material wood it is? I will assume it is not a standard board that can swell if water was spilled on it, even after once you move in.
KDLEN

Don't worry it's waterproof
dsa39
KDLEN

Don't worry it's waterproof

Im assuming it would have some sort of protection but will it weare off? Ive also been told that if you get rain during the build on the floor boards it can lead to squeeky floors I hope its not the case. These brickies we have are now into the 4th week they are so slow! Its actually painful watching them work and they dont ever work saturdays to speed it up! Ive got the urge to just go hire extra people to help them out just so they can finish already!
PowerballSam
Well looks like our PCI will be done at the end of this week, fingers crossed.

Electricals where done today and plumbing within the next day or so. Then house clean up and PCI.

Wow heaps of action going on for everyone! How good is it that so many of us are in construction now!

Congrats Sam! It looks like we are really close as our house is due for cleaning and PCI w/c 10th Dec. It's good that you will be able to catch the suppliers before Xmas. I'm already being told that starting concreting and landscaping in the week before Xmas may be cutting it too fine.

Goodluck with PCI
KDLEN
These brickies we have are now into the 4th week they are so slow! Its actually painful watching them work and they dont ever work saturdays to speed it up! Ive got the urge to just go hire extra people to help them out just so they can finish already!

Our single story took around 3 weeks and the brickies only worked 4 days/week.
Good luck getting any work done on the Saturdays. That would make too much sense.
You think they would though, the xmas shutdown is approaching which is meant to be 4 weeks so just getting the extra day/week in would get more money in the pockets of the tradies and get the jobs done faster.
Received a call late Friday from M to advise that our CDC application was picked up.....so what do you think my chances are, getting a response before Christmas?
Mind you they also only submitted request to the Estate last week so I'm assuming that any delays with that will also cause delays with CDC?
Thanks Manhattan 37, we are really hoping the banks sorts themselves out so we can be in by Christmas. Everything takes so much longer at Christmas time.
I shouldnt complain thou our build started with slab on the 4th Septmeber so it has been a 3 months build.
Wow, so much progress on so many of the houses! I guess once they get to lock up you have to make regular approved appointments with the SS to access the site and take the updated shots!

I've still got to get organised and arrange a site to upload shots onto to show our progress but we have had all of the framing and windows delivered late last week and wouldn't you know it just as they are about to start putting them up down it pours!!!! This is seeming to be the story of our build! Does anyone else get frustrated that you seem to see a lot of warm sunny days when nothing happens on site but as soon as work is due to start the rain comes along and so does the rain delay letter......

I had been wondering too about the wooden framing - nice to know it is treated to protect it but like Vatche ours is likely to remain uncovered over the Christmas shutdown..... I saw that the bricking for a single story took about 3 weeks, how long on average is it taking for a double story place?

Thanks!
abiggerhouse
Wow, so much progress on so many of the houses! I guess once they get to lock up you have to make regular approved appointments with the SS to access the site and take the updated shots!

I've still got to get organised and arrange a site to upload shots onto to show our progress but we have had all of the framing and windows delivered late last week and wouldn't you know it just as they are about to start putting them up down it pours!!!! This is seeming to be the story of our build! Does anyone else get frustrated that you seem to see a lot of warm sunny days when nothing happens on site but as soon as work is due to start the rain comes along and so does the rain delay letter......

I had been wondering too about the wooden framing - nice to know it is treated to protect it but like Vatche ours is likely to remain uncovered over the Christmas shutdown..... I saw that the bricking for a single story took about 3 weeks, how long on average is it taking for a double story place?

Thanks!

Hi abiggerhouse,

Bricking for our 2-storey place took 14 working days so about 3 weeks as well
Manhattan 37 builder
abiggerhouse

Thanks!

Hi abiggerhouse,

Bricking for our 2-storey place took 14 working days so about 3 weeks as well

Bricks for our Villina took no less than 11 weeks! But I think we were the exception rather than the rule. 8 weeks of no-one onsite - very frustrating. Apparently, the M brickies were allocated elsewhere. I'm not sure who does their capacity planning... doubt anyone does. And a new SS that doesn't normally work our area doesn't help either.

Good to see progress for all though - don't sweat the floorboards, they'll be fine. We got our roof a couple of weeks ago and the boards recovered from the strain of the last 4 months being exposed - at least I hope so
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum