Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes general build thread

Page 528 of 579
Nicolle
Yes I am in NSW. We are building Noosa 23.
SS initially told me we would get the PCI date the first day the painters started and usually completion is about 3 weeks from then.. just curious as to why he wouldn’t have a PCI date in mind considering painters are now on site

our painters finished 3weeks ago and we have no pci date
it’s been very slow since then, most Electrical’s done just need carpet, wood floors, shower screens & silicone to finish but no pci given yet I think SS is reluctant to give as not much has happened over last 3weeks

JZRD
Did anyone upgrade their Caesarstone to Cloudburst Concrete? Or that range, if so can you give me a rough price guide? Thank you

Not sure what cat cloudburst is as it wasn’t avail when we chose but we upgrade to cat 2 & it was around $200 for kitchen

BrownDog77
xjanex
Nicolle
Hi,
Our house is having internal paint start this week and the electrical fitout is booked for next Tuesday, SS is telling me to rely on “contract end date” if I want to rely on a finishing date... my Contract date is 10 May!!!! Does this sound right?? Why would it take 10 weeks to finish from here and shouldn’t he provide a PCI date? So over Coral homes.... never again!!!!

Thanks

Nicolle

Check your contract clause 2.9

xjanex you obviously got a letter? I missed this clause completely (was more concerned about rain days
) I just worked out the 210 days but we’ve never been given an actual date?!?! Nicolle are you NSW?

In our start letter on 17 August 2017 they gave us a end date of 4 April 2018, then we had letter after Jan holiday break stating they will need 3 weeks extension due to holiday closure, which makes it now 25th April... we just got 3rd supervisor they're sending from QLD as they're short staffed in NSW, we're meeting him tomorrow on site as no one has bothered to follow their own processes before and meet with us before the job started to explain how things work, which apparently they do in QLD
Jeez I feel bad for you NSW Coral Builders.... I keep hearing horror stories down there and the experience here in QLD is the complete opposite....

Even some of the Coral Staff I have spoken to mentioned the headaches they are having in general with the building industry in NSW at the moment.
Artfromhart
BrownDog77
xjanex
[quote="Nicolle"]Hi,
Our house is having internal paint start this week and the electrical fitout is booked for next Tuesday, SS is telling me to rely on “contract end date” if I want to rely on a finishing date... my Contract date is 10 May!!!! Does this sound right?? Why would it take 10 weeks to finish from here and shouldn’t he provide a PCI date? So over Coral homes.... never again!!!!

Thanks

Nicolle

xjanex you obviously got a letter? I missed this clause completely (was more concerned about rain days
) I just worked out the 210 days but we’ve never been given an actual date?!?! Nicolle are you NSW?

In our start letter on 17 August 2017 they gave us a end date of 4 April 2018, then we had letter after Jan holiday break stating they will need 3 weeks extension due to holiday closure, which makes it now 25th April... we just got 3rd supervisor they're sending from QLD as they're short staffed in NSW, we're meeting him tomorrow on site as no one has bothered to follow their own processes before and meet with us before the job started to explain how things work, which apparently they do in QLD[/quote]

Wow glad you guys are starting to get some notification
we’ve never had any letters but can’t complain because not at our 30 weeks yet 🤣 what was your start date Artfromhart? Our 210 day including Xmas break is late April

BrownDog77
Ryan2007
We took driveway out too! So can this be hidden underground?

They should cut it off low ours is low I didn't notice it hubby pointed it out. In regards to windows I haven't noticed gap but will look and take pic over weekend

Ours has a 5cm gap which they said they will put the angle/trim around, I've also asked if they'd stash the gap with insulation as they'd be loss of heat/cooling and it's not energy efficient ... also some of those brick holes above the windows have been filled with mortar, but not all... we also have issue with sides of the windows as there are uneven gaps from 2cm to 5 cm (even on the 3 identical windows on the front, so we're just negotiating with our new ss what can be done about it, at least to make it all even gap and even trim!... otherwise it'd be too odd and noticable, but the one in ensuite with 5cm gap they can't move as there are studs on the way)... and yes, also will be glad when all this is over

BrownDog77
Artfromhart
In our start letter on 17 August 2017 they gave us a end date of 4 April 2018, then we had letter after Jan holiday break stating they will need 3 weeks extension due to holiday closure, which makes it now 25th April... we just got 3rd supervisor they're sending from QLD as they're short staffed in NSW, we're meeting him tomorrow on site as no one has bothered to follow their own processes before and meet with us before the job started to explain how things work, which apparently they do in QLD

Wow glad you guys are starting to get some notification
we’ve never had any letters but can’t complain because not at our 30 weeks yet 🤣 what was your start date Artfromhart? Our 210 day including Xmas break is late April

BrownDog77 our start date was 23 August 2017, so just over 6 months ago (I suppose that's around 25 weeks)
Caydenn
Is Coral Homes required to change all locks for handover? Worried about how many people have keys to our home and making sure we are the only ones with keys.
it's only one lock they change as this is the only one they use and they change it in front of you

Artfromhart
BrownDog77
xjanex
[quote="Nicolle"]Hi,

Thanks

Nicolle

In our start letter on 17 August 2017 they gave us a end date of 4 April 2018, then we had letter after Jan holiday break stating they will need 3 weeks extension due to holiday closure, which makes it now 25th April... we just got 3rd supervisor they're sending from QLD as they're short staffed in NSW, we're meeting him tomorrow on site as no one has bothered to follow their own processes before and meet with us before the job started to explain how things work, which apparently they do in QLD[/quote]
Reject their claim for time!! If they have you an end date of April 2018, this means they have already taken the holidays into account in determining your end date. The only time they can claim Christmas shut down is if at the time of entering the contract and providing your contract build time, they couldn’t reasonably have foreseen your build extending over the shut down period. They have tried this on with a bunch of us. But you’ll be missing out on $50 a day damages if you accept the extension. It’s in breach of your contract

our painters finished 3weeks ago and we have no pci date it’s been very slow since then, most Electrical’s done just need carpet, wood floors, shower screens & silicone to finish but no pci given yet I think SS is reluctant to give as not much has happened over last 3weeks

Oh that is not reassuring! Our floors are tiled so they are all finished. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Our whole process with coral has been so disappointing. I would never recommend them.
Another unhappy coral customer

Hey guys what's the process coral homes needs to take regarding practical completion and hand over? What notice to we get before we have PCI? And when is the last payment made PCI or handover?
Ryan2007
Hey guys what's the process coral homes needs to take regarding practical completion and hand over? What notice to we get before we have PCI? And when is the last payment made PCI or handover?

Sorry not there yet Ryan so can’t help however I do know don’t sign at pci unless 100% happy as if you do sunset clause ceases as does insurance
others on here have had emails from HO re:PCI I believe

Ryan2007

Hey Ryan,

Pretty much in order to take handover you must have paid Coral fully. Payment in full is NOT required at PCI and only once you are satisfied.

I am taking a guaranteed bank cheque for handover day and providing that to them. The bank will not issue the cheque unless you give them permission, but even in saying that it means nothing till it is in Coral's hands and banked.

Thanks
-Caydenn
Ryan2007

So my experience isn’t a good indicator of what to expect re notice (got confirmation of PCI night before and handover was the following day with outstanding issues) but I took cheque on handover day. Don’t pay until your happy.

Also don’t complete PCI until that stage has actually been reached because any liquidated damages will cease from that point and you’ll still have no contractural leverage to actually get handover within any mandated timeframe.... and given liquid damaged cease to be calculated from pci, coral have no reason to complete, other than to get their final cheque.

PCI isn’t reached unless outstanding issues are minor and wouldn’t impact the house in terms of its appropriateness for occupation. No carpet for example- no PCI. No shower screens- no PCI.

you’ll also need the time from pci to handover to organise your bank to come and do their valuation which I understand most will require. Banks generally want the carpet and shower screens in, as well as any other bigger ticket items. Therefore it’s important this is all complete at PCI.

Thanks Mrs Mj that's what I thought!
Woohoo PCI is 14th March it's been a long time coming 52 weeks this Friday!
Ryan2007
Woohoo PCI is 14th March it's been a long time coming 52 weeks this Friday!
52 weeks! My gosh
it looks lovely!! You better have the biggest house warming party ever after having to wait so long

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=84825

Coral - Marcoola 32
Hi everyone I just wanted to say I'm building in NSW and have had no issues from sales, head office admin and throughout the build. This forum really scared me but I'm thankful I listened to local area/region reviews. Our build is at PCI and we are handing over next week. 15 week build excl. Christmass shutdown, we are very happy with our experience so far. At the end of the day Coral is a large company and there are many variables that could impact our experience. At sales stage I went through the estimate and plans with a fine tooth comb, made change after change before spending $1. We didn't pay our deposit for soil test until we were sure Coral homes were the builder we wanted. We went to Dixon, GJ Gardener, Adenbrook, Perry and Pikon homes as well and received detailed quotes and plams. Examined every inclusion and exclusion. Coral homes was the best value by far. Our block is flat as can be (M class soil) and our plan single storey and simple. We made no major structural changes. We exchanged land contracts in August 2016 but the land was yet to be registered. Our sales consultant encouraged us to lock in prices with Coral which we were hesitant given that land registration was uncertain, we ended up taking her advice and signing in September 2016. We didn't pay our 10% until the land registered which was 12 months later. We saved $17k in base price by listening to our sales consultant I downloaded the current prices and that is how much they've increased! That is only the base price. We had to pay $4.5k variation for going over the contract date, but given the price increase we still saved $12k.

Our experience with head office was outstanding our pre-site CSO was on the ball, if anything I let her down by not submitting our driveway application to council quick enough. She was hassling council my bank and everyone that she was waiting on to get our build started. When I read the admin issues on here I was very surprised given our experience. Once we got the approval from their certifier she had our start date issued in 4 days and the actual start date was 2 weeks later.

Our onsite experience was good too. Any issues our SS fixed. He was on the ball. We didn't have too many. Biggest one was kitchen slashback being laid the wrong pattern. He had it fixed and a picutre sent to me in less than 24 hours which I was very impressed by.

I hope my experience gives some people hope. And I sincerely hope the ones who have regretted choosing Coral Homes have their issues fixed and find some serious compensation. We are first home owners and we were really nervous going into this, and I have to say I would build with Coral again in a heartbeat. We are in Coffs Harbour.

Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum